Can we please have another /hit/ Veeky Forums recommendation thread?

Can we please have another /hit/ Veeky Forums recommendation thread?

I just got done reading pic related and it was fantastic.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is A History of the English-Speaking Peoples by Churchill a good read?

Currently on vacation in Greece and just started reading this.
Very interesting read, even more if you have the opportunity to visit some described sites in reallife right away!
Knossos is a joke btw, only fantasy park of an old Englishmen

I want a good book on Roman conquest, Crusades, or Medieval Ages.

Anyone have an suggestions?

>Roman conquest

Start with de bello gallico, very clean and easy read for a book/journal written 2000 years ago.
>nevar forget the six gorillion dead Gauls/Germans

This is the quintessential book on Roman Imperial conquest.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Writing all these down before I roll into Half Priced Books.

Anything on Crusades or neat Medieval shit? I've been looking around for a good Crusades book for a bit but it seems like everything I find is highly politicized.

Sounds interesting very interesting.
Do you got anything on first spanish conquests in Americas? From Columbus to Incas maybe? Asked once and got some good source suggestions, but a second literature book like yours is a comfortabler read I think.

Any good resources on Roman Britain?

It's a great book, user. Easy addicting read and lots of sources and extra notes.

You might want to also check out this one, too. Or another one by Buddy Levy about Orellana's expedition of the Amazon river. I forget the name, though.

I suggest you The Conquest of America by T.Todorov. It is full of citations from the diaries and documents of the time, and gives an interesting view of the Aztec society compared to the strategies of the conquistadors. Also, it talks about how the historians viewed the "Indios Problem". Really interesting in my opinion.

Thanks anons!
Will check them out.

>Medieval Ages
A Distant Mirror. I'm reading it now and find it very informative and (if you like this sort of thing) fun.

+1 on Kim McQuarrie. Also read that, good stuff.

1491 (and 1493) should be reading for anyone interested in the Americans pre-Colombus.

>still no Crusade recommendations
Fuck you nerds. I'm going to reddit.

Riley-Smith is based

I really enjoyed this. Found it extremely captivating.

Just started reading this. Same version. Reads very well for being 2000 years old.

I really liked My Struggle

Why is it so hard to find a biography of Joan of Arc that's actually a biography of Joan of Arc?

seconding this

Everybody who has the slightest interest in WW2 should read this book.

Say no more.

lol no thanks

> for prussiaboos like me
Iron Kingdom by Christopher Clark

Looking for a book on Assyrian/Persian/Babylonian history at the peak of their civilization. Ill probably go with Herodotus but if anyone has any more modern recommendations, Id be open to it. Im not looking to read an ~800 page book, just an intro of sorts.

just make sure you skip the last chapter, the book has a really shitty ending

Bump

>better

This book really put it into perspective for me how fucking miserable Stalingrad really was.

The face of battle was also pretty good.

Seconding this, A Distant Mirror is one of those books that literally every medievalist scholar has on their shelf.

Having only read The Face Of Battle, I'll concur that Keegan is pretty good, but bear in mind he is very much the cliche of the old school proud biased British historian.

Plus he started that whole horses won't charge infantry formations shitfling.

His other book about the Battle of Berlin is hard to read at points because of misery

If anyone wants to work on their French (or is a frog themselves), this guy is pretty great.
Remarkably unbiased, has a sense of humor that is evident through the linguistic mesh of a reader that learned French through duolingo and /int/, and pretty thorough as well. I'm a hundred pages into this 700 page book and I'm just getting out of the first decade of the period. Plus it's small and has lots of fun little maps and diagrams in the back of army formations at Crecy and such, and of course a beefy bibliography.

Bibliographies:

pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

If either of you are interested in more miserable battle books, check out E.B. Sledge's or Robert Leckies memoirs about their time in the Pacific. Sledge's especially paints really grim pictures for Peleliu and Okinawa.

nice, i just ordered this coincidentally

Having done a quick Wikipedia on this guy, I see he was one of the first journalists on the scene in the Falklands and now I want to read his book about that war.

Mark reads this in Peep show and talks abit about in the series

I wouldn't really recommend this for somebody who doesn't already know a little about the 14th century.

The author tells a lot of half-truths and leaves out a lot of information to paint the same old tired MIDDLE AGES WERE A HORRIBLE HELL ON EARTH that's been proven false time and time again.

Bump

bamp?

This one is great if you like Victorian-era politics. It features many great Willy moments, if you're into waggling at all.

I heard this is good, I'm going to go buy it right now. Maybe grab that Stalingrad book if they have it.

Persian Fire

that's a great book, possibly my favourite of all time.
Stalingrad is also fantastic, an utterly miserable read at times for obvious reasons, but that is part of why it is so great I guess

Anything wrong with "Conquest: Cortes, Montezuma, and the Fall of Old Mexico" by Hugh Thomas? Just got it, I'll check out the other books in this thread

I'm think about getting Ernst Jungers storm of steel to help give me a perspective of soldiers fighting in WW1. Is this a good choice or is his book overrated?

No, it's a fine book.

Conquistador is just more popular because it's written better and more like a non-fiction adventure novel.

Are you supposed to download them and use some reader to make it more user friendly?

Excellent recommendation

Anything on the overall theme of Sasanians against the Romans? I've already read and enjoyed The Two Eyes of Earth by Mathew Canepa, and I'm looking for a similar book but more centered around political narrative history. More "conventional" if you like to call it that.

The Northern Crusades, by Erick Christiansen. Relatively short and simple yet very complete. A magnific introduction and in my opinion very easy to read.

For anyone interested in the Great Game, these are some of my favorite books about the subject:

The Great Game by Peter Hopkins - The classic book on the game. I highly recommend that you read it if you want to learn more about the subject. It is a bit dated as Soviet documents were not as open when it was written.

Tournament of Shadows by Meyer and Brysac - The same applies to the this book. This one is also a bit more updated and it goes past the traditional end of the game.

Trespassers on the Roof of the World by Peter Hopkirk - A book on the various attempts by Europeans to get to Lhasa. Okay, but not as great as the other 2. Its scope is quite a but smaller.

Journeys into Bokhara by Alexander Burnes - A firsthand account of Burnes travels up the Indus and then his subsequent journey through Kabul and Bokhara.

Narrative of a Journey from Heraut to Khiva by James Abbot - Abbot goes to Khiva, and then eventually St. Petersburg during a coming invasion.

A Ride to Khiva by Frederick Burnaby - Two years after Russia seizes Khiva in the 1870's, Burnaby journeys against the orders of his superiors to the city in which Europeans were banned from travelling to.

A lot Sir Francis Younghusband's work - He led the British expedition to Tibet in 1904 and wrote a ton of books on his various travels.

Kim by Rudyard Kipling - A fictional account of a young British boy indistinguishable from a native of the India. His various exploits lead to him getting caught in the web of the game. The book that made the Great Game popular. Get an annotated version, especially if you can't read Hindi or Urdu.

I've read a bit more on the subject though if you're even only superficially interested in it I highly suggest the first 2.

>half-truths

Can you elaborate? If I read the book, will I be reading false information?

Does anyone have recommendations on the rise of the USSR and the Russian revolution?

Bump

Yo what's the best CV Wedgewood?

Too fucking late to this but I might as well recommend a book I read not too long ago:

Another America: The Story of Liberia and the Former Slaves Who Ruled It

A must-read for every /mu/tant.

Bump

Greatrex & Lieu - The Roman Eastern Frontier and the Persian Wars AD 363-628
Dignas & Winter - Rome and Persia in Late Antiquity: Neighbours and Rivals

bumping again for an actual Joan of Arc biography

Bump

It is a very good book. It's generally frowned upon in academia because it is pro-war and Junger is very upfront about his love of the conflict for his part in it, but it is still a good primary source.

>the author tells a lot of half-truths and leaves out a lot of information
such as?

I mean, her narrative is based on the life of one middle-ranking noble, with extra sources of course. So I don't think it's meant to be the single definitive source on reality of the era. Reading a book on WW2 wouldn't tell you that life was fairly calm and cozy in Argentina at the time, for example. That's the kind of healthy skepticism all readers should be taking, right?

"Ten Days that Shook the World" by John Reed

>It's generally frowned upon in academia

Really? I had a professor in uni that specifically made us read it to contrast with all quiet for an assignment .

Second this, read it while writing a paper some years ago

If you want more insight about the technical sides of infantry warfare during ww1 you should definetely read Erwin Rommels "Infanterie greift an". He fought at almost every front of the war and the book is featured with many of his own drawings and first and accounts of the battles. It also helps to overcome the static trench war meme that still seems very common.

Your professor is an exception.

I don't how I feel about black metal. Like, it's really good music, but you will probably go to hell if you listen to it.

I feel the opposite, being a fedora-tipper not much worried about such things, and find black metal both pretty inferior music and pretty cringe. I guess if you like, just go ahead and like it.

This book is absolutely precious

ALSO.
Don't forget that the best resource for finding books is
gen.lib.rus.ec

I dunno, I got a copy at a garage sale but haven't read it yet.

Right now I'm reading Caldwell's Small Wars, seems pretty good so far. Pic related was also good.

>tfw you have a 87-101 year old version of De Bello Gallico.

Feels pretty corny pals.

I'm reading through Phillip the Bold right now. This series is awesome so far and I think anyone who has any interest in the High Middle Ages should learn about Burgundy.

Are you going to just clickbait us like a cunt, or throw us a bone here?

Bump

bump

I loved that book. Orwell is very readable and he has a charming dry wit that catches you off guard at times. I definitely recommend it.

>"check out these dumb assholes fighting their idiot war, let's take a closer look"

fucking hell this was upsetting, great though

this was pretty interesting for a brief kind of storybook account of the Shinsengumi

Just got done reading this, reads pretty quickly even though it's long

This is a great book about the lead up to World War I and very well done. Really gets into the motivations of the heads of states at the time.

Good book on the history of the papacy. Only gets to Bendict XVI