Are German cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) actually unreliable...

Are German cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) actually unreliable, or is it just that their owners don't take care of them at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPJ64sTa7KI
youtube.com/watch?v=mAgY6A3RPcU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The first owner usually takes it to the dealer for maintenance, and sells it before the first truly major service bill drops.
The second owner thinks they're getting a great deal, until said major service bill drops, which is when they realize they can't afford to keep the car and sell it on.
Repeat this cycle and you end up with skipped maintenance and general neglect on a car that absolutely cannot take neglect.

Although arguably a car that cannot take neglect is a bad car, since plenty of others can.

People just don't realize they still are paying maintenance for a 100k+ car even though they bought it for 30k

Pretty much said it better than me

How much is a major service bill for a newer German luxury car?

A guy I know was charged 8k service for his 2013 gl550.

Both.

Also, maintenance is absurdly expensive of these cars in Burgerland.

If you take a closer look at second hand cars that were expensive when new and still have expensive maintenance they're on the average in worse shape just because of the simple fact that the previous owners really cheaped out on fixing stuff.

$150/hr labour, and things generally take longer. Honda's A service costs 0.5, but most luxury brands charge 1.0. Parts tend to be more expensive too, and sometimes come in expensive modules instead of just the broken piece.

It's fine if you're savvy and do your own work, but the average owner isn't at all that type of person.

I owned an A3 with over 150000 km on it, had the normal maintenance (oil, brakes, tires, belt...), and drove like a new all the time.
no electronic failure, nothing else.

REV UP THOSE CHECKING BOOKS

They're fine. You just need to get the right ones. The E39 or W210 are perfect cars with the inline-six. If you don't want to work on them yourself, just take them to a random Mexican guy around you, never the dealership or some shitfuckers who "specialize" in the car.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPJ64sTa7KI

That's genius advice. Yes, take your car to Ricardo the one-eyed Guatemalan master mechanic and let him put round peg AC Delco parts into your square hole German sedan. I'm sure that will end well.

>buys OEM parts and bitches about it

In fact that's all I've ever done when I don't do it myself. Ricardo does a fine job, and you've somehow been convinced that German sedans are so much infinitely more complicated than a Civic that Ricardo can't possibly figure it out. It ain't that difficult.

youtube.com/watch?v=mAgY6A3RPcU
>when fucking Hyundai is putting more effort into their cars than Benz

I'm not watching a 20-minute long YouTube video, but I did drive a Hyundai once, and it was the worst driving experience of my life. An '88 Taurus drives better.

nice with not giving the year and model, cunt

I don't fucking remember or care enough to deeply investigate the Hyundai product lineup. It was the 2015 version of whatever their Accord competitor is.

I rented it for two days and the car is so profoundly gutless and the steering so underwater, I'm surprised anybody can stand being in one for more than a week.

If Ricardo can work on some of the engineering fuckups GM/Ford can make a 2000s BMW isn't much more difficult for him

Its not neglect, its engineering fuckups and parts made with planned obsolesce in mind. How else do you explain things such as tearing/deforming suspension points on BMWs (E36/E46/Z3/Minis, strut towers and subframes), plastic water pump impellers, and quicker wearing rubber/plastic parts vs similar age Jap/American cars?

German Cars are also far less tolerant of loose tolerances/worn parts too. A properly engineered car can tolerate neglect/wear.

most of them are leased by idiots who take them to pep boys so they can be pretentious and go look pleb and my affluence and my fine european luxury car which just pisses the pep boys people off and they put shit oil in it and buy shitty tires from walmart

I have a question for Euros, are German cars actually cheaper to buy and own in your homeland than let's say a Japanese import?

My Mercedes was built in Mexico and i've been paying some dinky little beaner shop in East LA to do all the work I can't do on it myself since it hit 110,000 miles.

It has 180,000 miles on it right now any nothing major has ever taken a shit on it. German cars aren't some magical creations that only Germans can work on. Anyone who takes the time to learn about them can service them correctly. Marketers just want you to think only their brands techs can service them.

A German sedan classified as "luxury sedan" in burgerland is just as costly as a Japanese sedan.

they're reliable but expensive to fix

they aren't unreliable at all. in fact Porsche makes the most reliable cars by far.

a rock on a stick is overly complicated for a nigger.

Not that guy but i test drove a 2016 sonata hybrid and it was the worst car ive ever driven. Brand new and the mirror was creaking if i tried to adjust it and random interior bits would squeak. Shit brakes, shit handling, shit everything. Even the non hybrid was offensive for the 25k+ they want
Maybe kia is better but hyundai is a plastic mess

Some German cars require a bit more maintance and can be very intolerant of deferred maintance. Use plastics in the coolant system is fine if coolant change intervals and coolant type is obeyed. Use the wrong coolant or stretch out the intervals and the anticorrosion properties of the coolant degrades and the plastics fail.

People, especially ones that shout alit, will bitch about a Benz having 59 error codes, yet the car still runs correctly. Gee, what a pain it is to have an ECU monitor a system and record faults. God I hate having extra info to think about. Why can't I just do a simple fix like illegal compression fittings in a brake line.

OEM parts will cost.more, but should last longer. No manufacturer is not without faults and at time engineering fuckups will find their way into production

It's because 15 year old A3s were basically Golfs
Old VWs were reliable

Not exactly. The first owner usually keeps the car throughout the worst bills since they have the money to do so but they want to have the latest and greatest, so they sell it as soon as the new one comes along as does everyone else who is a first owner, so from there comes the major depreciation since the market floods with that model.

Usually the next owner then can't afford the maintenance and just does the bare minimum to keep it rolling until they realize it's costing too much and sell it. After that it can go anywhere from an owner that will do it right or just another idiot that will treat it bad.

So German cars are reliable if you actually give a shit about it and don't try to run on the bare minimum of servicing.

as long as you don't neglect them they work perfectly fine

Hm. I had a 2015 Sonata for a week and I thought it was quite good. At least sport mode changed the steering feel and sharpened the throttle, I was redlining 1st all the time and riding 2nd gear for fun. upshifts were great as long as I didnt hit the rev limiter. 100 mph on the highway felt easy. It was gutless, but it wasnt soulless. A Camry or similar ES is way more numb. Only things I didnt like was stability under braking or hard acceleration, it would move around.

Yup, just about everyone drives German here. We also get lower-trim base models with less powerful engines than the US so they're priced right in line with, say, an Accord.

>gl550

Now there's your problem.

>le edgy atheist
wew that was a nice meme in high school but for a old man? what a fag desu.

>Are German cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) actually unreliable, or is it just that their owners don't take care of them at all?
They're not have as bad as the average Mazda