Just got back from the mechanic with my Honda prelude and apparently the previous owner removed the catalytic...

Just got back from the mechanic with my Honda prelude and apparently the previous owner removed the catalytic converters. Now the mechanic is refusing to do my tranny service because he wants me to go to a wrecker and buy some cats to put on it because he says it's illegal and he might report me if I don't put them back on. The fuck do I do now? He has my registration and I don't want to pay for that shit. Is this blackmail?

Other urls found in this thread:

arb.ca.gov/enf/complaints/smoke.htm
youtu.be/WtcCaXOVevI
dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq
catalyticconvertersonline.com/x-federal-epa-aftermarket-catalytic-converter-fact-sheet-7
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shouldn't have pulled the cats big boy

The easy solution is to report them for stealing your catalytic converter.

Gladly.

as far as i know, mechanics can't legally hold your car for any reason and in fact if they threaten to, you can call the cops on them

that said, i guess they can report you after you leave

What shithole are you in that they would report you lmao, I have 3 cars that have all been to shops and no one has EVER said a work to me about them not having cats

Word*

Im not in a "shit hole" Im in Socal

Shittiest of shitholes there is

You should move to a free state

of course living in the shit hole epicenter

Lmfao

This.
I mean they are blackmailing and refusing service and telling you to find the part. Not legit mechanic DESU SENPAI.

You win post of the day, and today is going to be a long day.

>living in the land of the free
>mechanic can hold your car hostage for emitting pollution

tfw drive a straight piped 1990
tfw no one says anything during inspection cause pre obd2 etc

>People's Democratic Republic of Commiefornia
>not a shit hole

Find out where he lives and cut off his cat and put it on your car

the word shithole was invented to describe commiefornia

Even Detroit is less of a shithole than Cali in terms of car freedom.

Second.

>lives in a communist state
>acts suprised when everyone is a dick and will report you to Governor Moonbeam and his Eco Police for no reason

lmao

>mechanics can't legally hold your car for any reason and in fact if they threaten to, you can call the cops on them

This

Just explain to the cop the circumstances

Where in socal? And did the the previous owner have a smog cert I'm hand when he sold you the car? Because you need one every time a car is bought/sold to register it to the new owner. So either he had a smog cert to give u despite running catless, or you smogged the car then removed them yourself. Or your some beaner who didn't register the car

don't you mean
>República popular democrática de california

burn down his shop with your car in it

third

>Socal
>not a shithole

>t. mexican who goes to a mexican mechanic and gets BEANED

It has to be bait, mechanics don't care and don't have to check that shit, it's only an issue during vechicle inspection. Wew

do this
make sure you tell the cops they refuse to give you your registration

>goes to the mechanic
The greasy jew has claimed another one. Faggot OP maybe you'll learn now.

he has your registration, as in your fucking registration card? Go into his office and tell him to hand it over or he gets a fucking bullet to the skull, then tell him to go fuck himself. find some mechanic who isnt a dipshit that will work on your car. btw you can get cheap universal cats. my cat was stolen on my tacoma and toyota wants $1400 for a replacement, i bought a $100 edelbrock cat and welded flanges on it and it was all good.

>casual antisemitism: the post
Sad to see that Veeky Forums has been invaded by racists

I know youre lying because wreckers dont sell cats.
Its in fact illegal to sell them used.

i brought my truck in to get new tires mounted once and the shop told me my truck was unsafe and they would call the cops about a small gas leak if i drove off the lot, even though i literally had a brand new tank boxed up waiting in the bed

told them to get fucked and drove home, no problems

My local junkyard definitely sells cats
Unless that's some sort of stupid commiefornia law

>California laws
>Stupid
Pick one

>someone actually defending california

>Is this blackmail?
Yes, I suggest you politely ask for your vehicle back. If they refuse, do not call the cops. If you live in a state where no cats are illegal you run the risk of them fining / impounding just because cops are dicks and they can.Find yourself a cheap lawyer, for about $100 bucks you should be able to get them to just give your mechanic a "polite" call. This should more than be enough to scare the shit out of them and return your car, and lawyers won't report your ass to the feds if you're paying them.

>live in NJ
>drive car from before 1995
>no inspection necessary, whatsoever

And we're one of the most cucked, idiotic, backwards states when it comes to state government too.

How is California so shit?

>apparently the previous owner removed the catalytic converters
How the FUCK did you not notice this when you bought the car?

Some people just don't check these things man

YO
I just got my no inspection sticker for my miata this week. I though I was being fucked with since I was assuming it being 25 years for the minimum. still waiting for my racing beat test pipe.

WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

thats bullshit. he cant do that! he is black mailing you into buying more work from them. call up a lawyer or get your car back

Bread on hood

Spotted the new fag.

Where do you think you are? Veeky Forums has always been like this you fucking spic

Ok, now you're trolling is getting too obvious.

Must suck to live in a smog county in California. Reminder not all California's have to smog their cars every 2 years only some counties require smog check. I suggest u move to a better county desu.

nigger.

>Califags think socal isn't a shithole

What do you vacation in detroit?

Delusion: The Post

Better to be delusional than an anime-fag

lol u stupid underage, in CA you CANT GO TO A JUNKER AND BUY CATS ITS ILLEGAL SHIT FOR BRAINS

lol yes they fucking can you dumbasses, ever heard of a mechanic filing a lien against a vehicle for unpaid work?
go ahead try to get away with not paying your mechanic after the work is done

>JIDF detected

Given that that's not the situation here OP's 'mechanic' is engaging in theft if they refuse to return the vehicle

i agree with you this situation is fucked up, however those two posters were implying a mechanic can NEVER hold your vehicle legally

The mechanic is protecting you from these mobile smog checks. Also anyone can report a vehicle for smog and you will get a letter telling you to report to smog check station. I do it all the time when I see rice. Here is the link to drop dem dimes on the faster cars. arb.ca.gov/enf/complaints/smoke.htm

youtu.be/WtcCaXOVevI

Do it lmao

what did I evr do wrong to you? avsolutely nothing?

retard detected

I won't deny it, they go hand in hand.
However, at least I have the mental cognition to understand CA is a shithole.

lol, did you not immediately smell exhaust while idling at a light on a test drive? Come on...

Why the fuck does he have your registration?
Why the fuck would you even give your registration to a mechanic?

>move to a better county
But with my interests, I prefer one of the urban counties.

Hint hint move your car in the eyes of the DMV. no smog in San Bernardino county but it's per zip code.

dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

this

>I know youre lying because wreckers dont sell cats.
>Its in fact illegal to sell them used.
It's not strictly illegal (by federal law, that is--some states may have different laws), but in order to sell them legally they're required to test and certify them, so most don't bother.

catalyticconvertersonline.com/x-federal-epa-aftermarket-catalytic-converter-fact-sheet-7
>What about using converters from salvage yards or junked cars?
>EPA considers it a violation of the policy to install a used converter from a salvage yard or sell it for reuse unless it has been properly tested and labeled. Similarly, it is a violation to install an untested used converter brought in by a customer, even if the customer insists that the used converter came off his/her vehicle.

>Socal
>not in a "shit hole"
kek-a-roni

>Car smells like gas.
>It must be badly tuned.

Son you can only get away with that shit with a V8 not an I4. You can literally smell the gas and the exhaust sound is a bit louder for stock if there are no catalytic converters.

You live in California. There are gay men in every county.

They can for unpaid work.
No cat is not a legitimate reason to hold it.

TLDR the mechanic should be telling him he needs new cats before his next inspection, but his state law may vary.
DESU OP should be asking the shop exactly what law makes it illegal, and then consult the police.
I'm going to assume the Prelude is already registered and inspected and was on the road b4 dis

Just fuck your shit up famalam. The mechanic is probably right but I would still ask him what law exactly gives him that power.
Tread carefully before deciding to go the police route, who knows what the fuck kind of shit tickets they can levy on you - for all you know the mechanic may be doing you a solid

don't trust jew mechnaics.

Sad to see that Veeky Forums has been invaded by non white faggots.

Only if the op agreed to work with the mechanic. If the mechanic is refusing to do work on his car because there are no cats then clearly he's holding the car hostage

OP is an animefag, u turd

Take your car home and call the mechanic a cunt.

Fucking hell, I thought the construction and use laws we've got in the UK were retarded but that takes the biscuit

holy fuck this thread

There are a lot more in counties with smog check programs, weird, huh?

this is blackmail and illegal for him to do in the states. if he offers a service and you do not want such service he cannot hold your vehicle or force said service.

>Im not in a "shit hole" Im in Socal

>socal
>not a shithole

>go to get brakes changed
>mechanic tells me I need an oil change and that my serpentine belt needs to be replaced because it looks bad
>did an oil change a few days prior
>check serpentine belt
>looks brand new
>he offers to do it with a 5% discount on the same day because I got my brakes changed

>Im not in a "shit hole" Im in Socal
you know socal stands for?

Shithole Of Cal

>Not a shithole
>SoCal

Please tell me what shop this is so I can also stay away from

kek

where do you faggots come from anyways?