Getting my wife a new 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport 180 HSE for her birthday

Getting my wife a new 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport 180 HSE for her birthday.

7 seats, we have two young kids. It'll mostly be used onroad only.

Tell me why this is a bad choice.

> having a wife.

There's where you fucked up user

This is bait

>asking a board full of single impressionable shitposting meme hungry 19 year old males for advice on a family car
you deserve what's coming to be honest

OP here. Not bait.

Wondering what the downsides of this car is. All reviews I've read have been positive, but I know if there's any place that can shit on any car, it'd be Veeky Forums

Caring about Tyrone's kids and her bitch. Don't be a cuck and just throw some acid on her face and dump her.

Land Rovers are notoriously unreliable. If you're gonna get one, at least get one that's fun like the Defender or Range Rover.

Newer Defenders (2014 and up) are pretty good and more reliable than the older models.

badgefag shit

less reliable than an rx8

british """"""""""""""""""engineering""""""""""""""""""

not as good as mercedes

I laughed unreasonably loudly at this

>he's right tho

> fun
> defender
Oh it's so much fun having no noise insulation, no room for your driving arm, hard as fuck door trims, no height adjustable seat, blinkers on wrong side of stalk, etc etc etc

written by a true faglord who has never owned or driven in one.

OP I've never driven the new Discovery Sport, but I have a Range Rover Sport SVR. I really like Land Rovers and have owned a number of them. Overall I'd say something like a Discovery Sport would be great for a family car. The new electronics and infotainment in the newer models is much better, that was where Land Rover was lagging behind for a while. As far as reliability, they tend to have a few kinks when you first get them and then are reliable after that. For example my '16 had a bad o2 sensor, my '17 had a software update that I needed to bring it back for.

>my wife's son

Thanks for your feedback. I'm getting a 5 year warranty and services, so should be covered for the little niggles

I've always wondered why rich people buy these big, unwieldy, and frankly quite boring cars, when they have this much money to spend. You could get a 911 or an Evora, or even a performance sedan or wagon if you really need to transport a lot of stuff.
These SUVs are just so dumb... at least if they're only going to be used on road.

911s seat 7 people really well.

It seats four. OP + wife + 2 kids.
And I realize that a 911 isn't a practical choice, which is why I mentioned the sedans and wagons.
This is going to be the wife's daily driver, I assume. Why would she need seven seats?

When the kids have friends? Then you use the third row seating. The LR4 used to be the goto for that within Land Rover, but now the Discovery Sport has replaced it.

Discovery Sports aren't particularly huge, I mean it's shorter than many 4 door sedans. It's far from a Denali or Suburban or something.

>putting 2 kids in the same row

I see you were an only child

I've never been in a situation where you need to transport both kids, both parents and several friends at the same time. The kids have different friends and go to different events. And if several friends are there, there are probably several vehicles.
I'm sure it happens occasionally, but is it worth getting a boring car for it?

I own a Defender 130 mate and I LOVE driving it.

Boring and what someone wants to drive is pretty subjective. How many people get transported varies from family to family also. I mean I had no friends as a kid so mum didn't need those extra seats :^)

I think a lot of what buyers want now is versatility. They have a number of boxes that they want to check off, be it how many it holds, if it has four wheel drive for the winter, how it looks, how it drives, how comfortable it is, if their bike can sit on the inside with the seats down rather than on a rack, how safe it is (real or imagined), etc etc etc. Families have a sort of list like that in their heads, each a bit individual but certainly lots of overlap, and they find something that meets that criteria.

I'm picturing a soccer mom that puts the daughters bike in the boot, drives to Starbucks, grabs a latte, is on the hands free, picks up the kids at school, drops off the little girl with her friend, takes the boy to soccer practice or whatever. She's not looking for a hot rod, she's looking for something versatile. (Again, I might not be describing OPs wife, I'm just speaking generally)

OP here. I have 5 nephews and nieces. This is why 7 seats is handy.

>This is why 7 seats is handy

Exactly. This is why, unfortunately, the family orientated hatchback is slowly dying. It's perfect for 2 adults and their average 2.2 kids plus the dog and some shopping. But what if little Victoria wishes to bring her friend Skylar? What you gonna go? Strap her to the roof rack? You'll get funny looks at the traffic lights, I'll tell you that much.

The average family needs a bigger car for their bigger needs, this is why compact MPVs were all the rage 10 years ago and the crossovers have become this decade's "new car"

Back to the topic, a lot of my neighbours have all kinds of Land Rovers, from an old Series pick-up to the old Disco, from old Range Rovers to the new RR Sport and they must enjoy them because why would they have them? Although the bloke who has the old LR Series did say he uses for work.

7 seats for only 2 kids.

Time to get busy, son. Those seats aren't gonna fill themselves.

>Blinkers on the wrong side of the stalk

This is the most cuck argument I have ever heard.

When she locks her key in it, it will have to be towed to the dealer.

No, they can be unlocked from iPhone app.

She'd probably prefer an Evoque, but I prefer the Disco Sport.

>7 seat SUV

god I fucking hate women

nice, those hi-caps are rare as fuck

>7 seats, we have two young kids
How fat are your kids for that justification to workout?

>British """""""""""""engineering""""""""""""""

get a merc gl. 7 seats.

american sized europeeen car.

>wife
>driving
shit will be totalled in about 10 days give or take. That's why it's a bad choice plus her nigger boyfriend will want to drive it everywhere too. You goofed bad

buy a ford flex and shut the fuck up

>Dese are mah childrun, Jibby anb Belissa
>Dey are nod fad, jus big boned
>Dey will need dwo seads each
>Dhank you
I'm a burger btw and there is no excuse for this. Literally buy a 4door civic you fag.

Because a Toyota Sienna is superior in every practical way

this
or
this

also
this

its a LAND ROVER. go get a actual van if you want a 7 seater

using a off roader on the road is a as smart as jumping your car off a cliff and expecting the car to survive because "the duke boys can do it why cant i?"

plus a actual van is cheaper to run than a SUV with a big heavy tranfer case to go off roading that you are never going to use wasting fuel. plus a van has lots more room when you know space is at a premium in a car so will a 7 seat SUV not a van...

oh you mean hacked and stolen with a i phone app....

>Shaped for aerodynamics instead of appoach/departure angles
>Aggressive off-road tires aren't even a dealer option
Sure is off-road focused. It looks more like a luxury family car that can do some light off-roading.
That's another thing about vans, they aren't comfortable in the same way a LR is. That being said, I still wouldn't buy a LR. I'd buy a Toyota Land Cruiser or maybe even a new Explorer before even considering the LR, because British reliability and repair costs are not a meme.

Save your money and buy a station wagon that can seat seven. Why buy a "sport utility vehicle" if you're never going to use it for that?

go look at doug munros youtube video about his running total with his land rover.
>its not a meme LR are shit.

vans arent comfertable? you havent ridden in a van lately have you? go look up ford econoline sherrod conversion then tell me vans arent comfertable. yes basic bare bones vans arent very comfertable but when you add sound deadening and better seats its as comfy as a car, just more room for other stuff. car companies do make nice passenger vans but you will need to see aftermarket company to make them better. pic related its a sherrod converted e150 van interior...

You could have saved $20,000 and gotten the same thing with a Highlander and have a reliable car without the wonderful idiosyncrasies of British "engineering".

>7-passenger wagon

What is this, 1992?

Those don't exist any more.

Volvo XC90 is superior.

Costly repairs my dude, your wife will probably leave you

>Not knowing that Land Rover and Jaguar are tainted by a pooinaloo bowl, TaTa.

Nice poo car

OP here.
A few things to clarify
1. 7 seats wont be used all the time. The storage in the discovery sport is huge for two prams + kids shit.
2. Ausfag, so any suggestions for big American cars that we don't get here aren't applicable. Same with the Tyrone jokes.
3. Don't mind being a badgefag. Our budget was $70k to upgrade from an aging Tiguan. We've already got an offroader (Hilux SR5), and will purely be my wife's daily driver. I've got an RS3.

So basically you don't want our advice, you just made this thread as a poorly disguised way to humblebrag.

Nice ford edge

>Discovery
>Not a Velar

Why a Disco? The Velar is more of a woman's car, it's much sexier. And the focus is on the luxury part of Land Rover as opposed to the Discovery's split between luxury and off-roading.

Humblebrag how? If I was bragging about anything, why would I wait overnight?

There's guys on here with twice as many cars than we have, and much, much nicer. If you think I'm bragging about having three cars, the most expensive of which is AUD$70k, then mate, you're standards are pretty shit.

This guys's RRS SVR is worth more than all my cars.

Why not buy an Escalade?

Velar isn't available here yet. I also suspect that it'd be outside out budget.

Velar is actually cheaper than a Discovery, unless you're buying a used Discovery. The Velar is supposed to be between the Evoque and Sport.

6.2 V8 petrol.
Also big car for the wife to park.
Also out of budget in Aus

Discovery Sport Discovery
Sports are about the same (outside) size as a Vogue. Inside space is different

You should have gotten a CX-9

Most people on here drive 3k civics or ride the bus, you'd be considered rich.

Fellow Ausfag mate. I couldn't recommend a current model NX Pajero enough. For your money you'd get at least a GLS or maybe even sneak into Exceed territory. They come with a well proven commercial/industrial diesel motor that's pretty frugal, and a cavernous cargo area with a third seat that folds away.
I'd recommend trying to find a run out MY16 though, as the MY17 reintroduced a diesel particulate filter (and DPFs have previously been bad news on Mitsubishi diesels).

Ignore the aspies with nothing constructive to add.

I'd also add, if child seats are in the equation there's three anchor points right up behind the second row, so you don't loose any cargo space.

luxury offroader in city = no brain, hate cars, hate the environment, you hate pedestrians and your wife is probably a cunt who can't park

Why do you feel the need to lie on the internet?

Come up with an alternative to OP's guidelines then.

Because I seek validation from anons in Mongolia.

I'm just a sadist like that

FFS OP just buy a falcon station wagon or a territory will be about same to run territory a bit more because awd you arent going to use

>Falcon wagon
Fuck that, not only do Falcon wagons lack third row seats, they also handle and ride like an empty pickup truck. Infact, I don't think there's a snotbox crossover out there that rides and handles worse than a Falcon wagon.
Territory is a valid suggestion though, and also has a V6 diesel that was once shared with Landrover.

You don't actually NEeD an SUV. Nobody ever bUsy waegons amymore. Just bye an olde waegoN or SometHing that'ss actually USefuL. Your Not actUAlly gonna Eveur go offroading in it. Jalopnik tOLd me sO. All yOu Nead is some old aSs unasEf RusteD box of A car that get's liek 15 MPG but like WhatEVer rihgt? I beijt it's is anAuTOTragice too?! HAHahAhAAHAHa!!?! Seriously though that seems like a really nice car to get for her. The only thing I'd be worried about is the repair bills. They can be a bit expensive.

Get her a Cayenne S bruh

You got gold dug fgt