Is it worth it to bring my car to college next year?

>will likely still live on campus
>interested in internships that would be much easier with car
>ucsc so high chance of carless hipsters asking for rides

Yeah, because picking up chicks and getting to internships/waiting for the bus sucks and will make you late to class

This is a no brainer nigga, wheels is always better than no wheels if you can manage.

>can i have a ride?
>no
problem solved

>ucsc so high chance of carless hipsters asking for rides
You are NOT telling everyone that you have a car. Hide your power level. But then again, your refusal to help others is also annoying. Your excuse is that you have to work on your project or homework DUE tomorrow. Or you have to study for an exam coming up TODAY. Or you have to meet someone else TODAY. Or you have to do something else TODAY. Etcetera.

When I was at univ, people didn't agonize over finding ways to not help people with a car ride if it was in the direction they were already going. Heck, people who had cars and went shopping would ask around "Does anyone need something?" and then people would get a ride out to Costco or even go out to eat.

eyyy

Sup dude. I'm actually graduating from UCSC this quarter.

I'd definitely recommend bringing it if you cant muster up the price of a R parking permit.

if you can**

Also we have a small auto club here. We meet on core west on tuesday nights

first year?
naw

I didn't bring my car with until my junior year of college. Makes you adapt to another way of living for a while

>Is it worth it to bring my car to college next year?
Not if you don't win the lottery to get the student on campus parking permit. At my university, there are so many requests for permits that they have a lottery system. Despite that, the school oversells permits. It overbooks spaces (just like airlines do) in anticipation that not everyone who buys a spot will show up to use it. It's roughly 3 to 1 so that is quite annoying. But it does protect students by giving them a priority if they already have a permit.

So you should make sure you have a permit or else you will have expensive parking for that car.

>help people with a car ride if it was in the direction they were already going

Can I have a ride?

Which way are you going?

Doesn't matter. I'm going to kill you and steal your car.

I brought mine to school my second semester of my freshman year, my parents said fuck hauling your shit back so I got my truck.

My only advice is scope out parking lots that are free on weekends and just use free street/public parking otherwise. You'll be moving your car 1-2 times a day but you'll be parking for free.

Also invest in a "gas, grass, or ass" sticker because people WILL ask you for rides and fully expect you to ask for nothing in return.

When i gave campus tours at my college, i always had parents ask if their kid should bring a car/over here parents saying their kid doesnt need one.

Id always tell them "ya, you dont need a car here! There is a bus that goes to the main island twice a day, and you can walk along the main roads until you can get to the nearest store/fast food place miles away. Or you can be that annoying kid always bumming rides off of people." Then i would look them dead in the eyes and say "seriously, not having a car here is a terrible mistake. Yes you can survive without it, just like you can survive on rice and water... but do you really want to?"

Granted i went to TAMUG.

Bicycle and backpack suffices to get food items not at the various campus student union restaurants and student union cafeteria.

Having a car is always better senpai. I am commuting by car and it's blessed to just go wherever, it helps with socializing too. Definitely bring it!

Dude, you help out one hippie or hipster because he's going near the same place you are and word just fucking spreads

>deckland's friend user has a car
>3 guys you never met before are now asking you to drive them 4 hours to some hippie concert at UVM on a Wednesday night and can't seem to understand the word "no" for at least 20 minutes
>you only know deckland because he lives in the dorm down the hall and were leaving at the same time that day you gave him the ride

You go deck or engine?

>i would look them dead in the eyes
Holy shit dude you must've been creepy as fuck

Is UCSC Santa Cruz? If so, you should probably get a car so you can at least leave town every once in a while.

We just had a cafateria.. and it made the news about how bad the food was.

Mara. Started off as an engineer. Now im a coastie lol.

No, just years of working in retail and interacting with some of the dumbest parents in the world kinda killed any desires for social graces. I actually got high marks from my tours though, a lot of people loved my jokes and the fact that i didnt tell them just bs about the campus.

I graduated mass as engine,

Had a few tamug kids on the cruise every year because your boat isn't unlimited I guess. you ever go on one?

>Also invest in a "gas, grass, or ass" sticker because people WILL ask you for rides and fully expect you to ask for nothing in return.
Ha, almost no one ever asked me since I didn't brag about having a car. I was also in and out all the time so they don't even have the chance to ask me. I don't pass out my cellphone phone number because then it would get handed out to everyone that ever wanted anything. Only trusted people have my phone number and can call me for help.

It doesn't matter if they want a ride, if I have class to go to, I cannot drive them. I say I have class coming up. If they say to skip class, then they are assholes and you can say you have to keep your grades up and cannot skip class before exams or homework. They have to understand that.

There are a million reasons easily available to say no on a campus. Study session coming up and everyone expects you there. They cannot say skip that. You have an exam and have to study for it because you already helped someone else out and now are short on time. Can they say to skip that? No they cannot. You must have homework to do. I was always swamped with group projects and had to meet others all the time. So I never needed to lie to have an excuse.

I also had extracurricular activities with the student government and the honoraries system, so there were always things to do if there was spare time. If you have activities that others expect you to be working on, then bring that up.

Above all, ask them, "Who are you?". Then follow with "Do I know you?".

You can always say "I am not going that way." For tricky people that want to trap you by requiring you to first tell them where you are going, you simply say "Why should I tell you everything I'm doing?" and just take off.

Unfortunately, there are immature people that will key a car if they don't get what they want. We had some of those kinds of people who thought everyone else was a resource they could tap.

Having a car got annoying freshman year because my roommate was an annoying carless fuck who had never been told "no" by his parents and wouldn't quit pestering me for rides. However, I hated it a lot more when my car broke and I didn't have one at all.

In my state, I could legally shoot her.
If she scratched my Ferrari, I probably would.

Why would you take her life for that? Just demand the valet service to pay for all of the paint corrections

>he wouldnt take the opportunity to rid the world of an entitled, vapid retard who damages property for fun
nothing wrong with taking a life tbqh

>get sued for wrongful death by her family and lose ferrari and other assets in the claim

generally you have the money to fucking bleed them through the court systems if you're driving a ferrari

>wanting to go to trial for killing a young girl
You want to permanently ruin your reputation like that? No business would ever want to associate with you after that

(you)

Newer ferrari have aluminum hoods. Since Liz Mau got onto quite a few Ferrari in her days of clubbing, there are undoubtedly a lot of hoods bent from her weight. Or at least scratched. The picture shows she is wearing shoes when climbing up on the car's paint.

Yes, they all deserve it don't they?

Heh, yeah
Nothin' personell kiddo...

Yes, pre order your parking permit asap, like the minute they're available because they go fast. I lived without a car for 3 years at UC Bumblefucknowhere and bussed for a year and change, shit is terrible. I imagine it's bearable on campus but not being able to leave makes you forget the world exists outside the small bubble of college life.

why do you feel you have to justify yourself to a stranger
it's your car, just tell them to fuck off

>it's your car, just tell them to fuck off
You forget how today's youth are. If you don't do what they want, they key your car anonymously. If you don't have to worry about that, congrats, you live in paradise.

Our boat was pretty small.. and constantly broke down. Shamefull to think someone had the bright idea to give up the SS cape gibson (pic related, 605') for the general rudder (224').

UCSC grad here, it's not necessary unless you live across the river. Bus access to campus is extremely frequent and easy to get to on the west side.

Sounds like you're a sophomore, because freshmen can't buy parking passes.

Also the auto club has a bunch of autistic faggots in it now, but judging by your car, you probably fit right in

Skip first year while you live on campus. The car will be more of a pain then it is worth. You'll get stuck DD'ing.

MAYBE you'll DD some chick after she frats out but why would you even want to be with a drunk college chick .Most annoying demographic.

i did 100 mph down mission st and some donuts while i was pretty much blacked out once

kinda hard to get a DUI in santa cruz unless you're retarded

Have you considered a motorcycle? I loved mine in college, and only gave pleasure rides to chicks i liked. On top of the cool factor, you also can park that thing anywhere

>On top of the cool factor, you also can park that thing anywhere
Not on my campus. If it isn't in either a motorcycle parking spot or a full car parking spot, then it is not legally parked. Motorcycles cannot park in a bicycle spot and are not allowed inside of school buildings.

Bicycles or motorbikes parked in unauthorized areas are subject to immediate removal at the owner's expense. Because there is both the citation fine and the impound storage fee plus the infraction on the student's record, many cheap (under $500) bicycles are typically unclaimed so the university ends up selling them.

Can't speak for UCSC, but you're going to want that shit just because it's California. You'd be surprised how many people simply don't know the area because they don't get out and go anywhere. If parking permits aren't guaranteed, then I'm not so sure, though. In all honesty, even asking FRIENDS if they need rides has led to more blank stares/concerned looks than anything else.

If the place has multiple parking garages, have fun playing the game of "ok, if this garage says 140 free spaces, the other must have..." every time you need to park.

>t. Chapman memeversity

Remember to factor in the insurance rates if your finances are tight.

Check to see the difference in insurance rates at your campus location versus your home location. Your policy might be flexible enough to allow registration at your home, but since you are living on campus, it probably requires you to re-register the policy at the more expensive school location.

As long as I have a parking space, it was always worth it for me. The parking problem can make you shift your schedules around the parts of day that spaces typically become available.

You already know what your campus is like already, so you can guess where you'll be parking most of the time. At my school, blacks would come in at night and prowl the cars. As soon as they got enough loot or removed the rim, they'd call and someone would drive by and they would get into that car or truck with the loot and take off. That's the problem about an open campus. We don't have walls like those anime colleges to keep non students and non staff out.

>will likely still live on campus
If you live off campus, that would justify a bicycle more than a car as long as you were within 5 or so miles and the day wasn't so hot you ended up sweating like a pig before going into a class like Grande Parfum Creation.

But if you live off campus, parking that car can be pretty expensive if you don't buy out a student permit from someone who is living in a dorm and is willing to get a permit just to sell them.