KTM has announced a fuel injected 2 stroke engine hitting the floor this year

>KTM has announced a fuel injected 2 stroke engine hitting the floor this year

Who else is interested in this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_H2_Mach_IV
motorcycle.com/features/ktm-announces-fuel-injected-two-stroke-engine-for-2018.html
articles.superhunky.com/4/106
dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/future-of-two-strokes.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>twostroke anything
Ddddiscarded

>I dont like simplicity
>I dont like reliability
>I dont like having fun

Hype.

Whoa whoa whoa, I like 2 strokes but... reliability?
Uhhh no.

Didn't beta do this in 2015

Top end replacement on a 2t and 4t are recommended to be done at the same hour mark (or close to it) only difference is the 2t can be done for a third the cost in a quarter the time.

Bimota did this 20 years ago (it was shit)

i got 2 strokes fur ya

This is wrong tho?
Blanket generalization really stupid and you're stupid for saying this.
The fact is that 2 strokes do bo have a piston/crank/cylinder that are constantly bathed in pure oil, they are bathed in a gas//oil mixture which is less effective at cooling and protecting, they run hotter and have less protection, they are inherently less reliable, not mention the cylinder has a hole in it, something for the piston or rings to potentially snag on.

lol you are retarded. Aprilia did this for years, and they were very successful, suzuki, kawasaki and some others had very good bikes in the 70s that were.

Yes, but for me the closest beta dealer is 8 hours away.

2 strokes do not have* sorry I'm phone posting on the toilet

ive been wanting to try and prototype something like this in my garage with a 212 and ebay/used parts but i just dont have the time and tooling unfortunately. but ive always thought why not mkae a gas 2 stroke diesel style just with spark plugs

Is it going to be Direct Injection? I want to Dual Sport a 2 stroke and Direct Injection would greatly help.

>suzuki, kawasaki and some others had very good bikes in the 70s that were.
such as?

Can't wait to put this on my bicycle

40 years old
it still works
2 stroke master race.

if it had DI then it wouldn't need to mix oil and gas

would be neat

> not driving a 750cc triple direct injection 2 stroke

Pussy
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_H2_Mach_IV

So what?
Do you have an hour meter on it keeping track of how many hours it's ran?
I build 2 stroke motors all the time, I understand their pros and cons.
Reliability isn't one of their pros.

Rumors of this have been going around for like a decade

Yea and now it's been confirmed which is what's exciting

>used (3) carbs
try again

source?

motorcycle.com/features/ktm-announces-fuel-injected-two-stroke-engine-for-2018.html

>FI
>not DI

Why should I care?

still prevents unburnt fuel from escaping out the exhaust port before combustion

But it doesn't lube the crank directly which would be a lot better in a dual sport role.

I'm sure they have concocted a suitable oiling system.
>premixing not required
they may have put in a full mechanical oiling system

The TS185 made in the fuckin 70s directly lubes the crank, it's not that hard to figure it out.

I have a 1999 cr125r, and 2 strokes blow up for one reason, and thats if you rev its absolute balls off in neutral or at the top speed of your gear

nigger, the only reason MX engines need constant maitenance is because they have retarded high compression for power

....2 strokes have gasoline in the crankcase and gasoline diluting the oil protecting the cylinder walls, 2 strokes have much hotter pistons, 2 strokes have ports that wear out the piston and rings, 2 strokes typically run hotter, 2 strokes use needle bearings typically because a flat bearing like a typical engine would never hold up in these conditions for any decent amount of time, the conditions that also cause the cylinder walls and rings and piston to also wear at an accelerated rate
wrong

Then why do Mx engines blow up? Scooters or even the Aprilia RS engines last forever, but MX engines done.

Aprilia RS engines don't last forever...
my friend had an aprilia 50cc direct injected scooter and you have to rebuild it every 50 hours
The reason those modern 4 strokes don't last as long is weight, look at an old XR650R and compare that to a modern crf450, a quarter the weight, quarter the side skirt length, everything is tuned to the edge, it's a high strung engine.
You can make a slow and reliable 4 stroke and a slow and reliable 2 stroke but the 2 stroke will still not last as long as the slow and reliable 4 stroke.

Piston changes on the RS250 I think is every 10,000 or so miles, if you were replacing pistons that often in a rs50 he was Probably keeping it revved out since it's such a small engine.

well, lets just say for 30 of it years it mowed laws at lets say a half hour a time. and maybe 40 times a year. That what 60 hours. time that by 30 years that's what 1800 or so hours. My maths maybe wrong been a long day.

I do. Six thousand and fifteen hours on a Tohatsu M18E2. Original rotating assembly, rings and head gasket. One set of reed valves have been changed.

Two cycles are inherently reliable. They are still the commercial marine engine of choice for this reason as they don't offer any other benefits. Emission output is higher, fuel consumption is higher, NVH is far higher, but chances are if there is fuel in the bowl it will start and run the whole shift. eTec offers a longer lifecycle than equivalent output Honda and Yamaha four cycle with less than half of the required service intervals during this time.

I'm not surprised the ones you put together don't last if you build them like your speakers, hoses and other abortions.

articles.superhunky.com/4/106

dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/future-of-two-strokes.html

>was probably keeping it revved out
No shit it's revved out it's a 50cc 2 stroke, not the mention the fact it's a CVT system that keeps it at like 8k rpm all the time.
Obviously you don't even know what you're talking about since you don't realize how scooters even work.

4 stroke would do the same plus more, refer to the end of this post If you think a ship engine compares to a fucking dirt bike then I'm done talking to you lmfao

Great another bike that won't be allowed in California.

Why does commiforia suck so bad?

rs50 is a "sport bike"

>pic is a rs50

Fuck forgot pic

Not unless its a US street legal direct port injection.

I think the EPA blanket banned any 2 stroke for street use, but there are ways around that.

>outboard
>as in 150-500cc two cycle per pot
>as in very much like a motorcycle engine

Fuck, you are in the running for the dumbest cunt to have lived.

You realize he's talking about ocean going ships not speed boats right??
Also,
>water cooled because it's always in the water
>compact
>powerful
Still nowhere near as reliable as a 4 stroke, also most lakes have banned 2 strokes now.

>nowhere near as reliable

Then why are they still used so frequently in boats when they offer no other advantages?

I just gave all the advantages you fucktard can you read

Seeing as it's the same person, you monumental cockhead, I ain't talking about ships.

Yes they utilise a water jacket, but then so too does the equivalent four cycle. It's not that the bar of reliability has been lifted for the two cycle because of the jacket water, as the combustion chamber still reaches the same temperature as it's air cooled brethren.

The weight saving is minimal for the outboard as most of the weight is from the flywheel, leg and transmission.

The two cycle is king of the commercial outboard world. If there's fuel and magneto output, it'll run. If you drown it, drain it and fill it with fuel/oil mix, it'll run. Piston rings are only an issue if the port is more than 40% of the circumference of the bore, or build them like you with the end gap overlapping the port.

M18E2 is an 18hp outboard. Not a ship.

Fuck me, you have no clue.

Would this make for a better Dual Sport? I know a 2t with premix isnt considered optimal for street use

>2t
>dualsport

Why?

Muh reng-deng-deng

Best sound ever, not to mention the smoke smells good

i like your derbi cylinder on that pa50. i have a hobbit/camino and an urban express myself along with some other bikes ive built

>Buying a kucktm ever

Ayy lmao!!

You're confusing service intervals with reliability there.

Yet they don't have a valvetrain.

Not having a valve-train doesn't mean there is less chance of something to go wrong. I'm not on either team, I love both cycles for their advantages, just saying.

That said, I only sold my '89 CR500 was because I knew I would die before service interval.

Not having a valvetrain very much means there is less to fail both over time or suddenly in operation. There are no lifters to collapse, no camshaft lobes to wipe from contaminated oil, no valve lash to run out, no belts or chain guides to wear, no cam seals to fail, no valve stem seals to weep, no chance of a retainer failing and dropping a valve, no valve seats to fall out, no valve springs to collapse, no cam bearing to fail, there is no danger of valve and piston collision from loss of valve timing, no sludge to form under the rocker cover, no rocker cover gasket to leak, no chance of rocker arm bearing failure, no shim to wear on the lifter bucket and no exhaust valve to burn.

There's a few ways not having a valvetrain reduces risk of failure. Two stroke isnt without its faults but the strength is in the simplicity.

Literally the only company putting out new 2t's

2 strokes are like rotaries
theyre great IF maintained properly

The wankel of the 787b wasnt known to fail

rotaries overall have a bad reputation with reliability because normies dont know how to maintain them

Oil injection? Yes please!

2 smoke supermoto funs.

O N E W I N
N
E
W
I
N

This is all I am worried about. How it will help the bike on the street

>tfw hoonan around on a 230lb 60hp 2t

BBBBRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAP

>2 stroke
>not reliable

opposed to 4 stroke mx engines that need an expensive as fuck rebuild every x hours!

Everyone but delusional mazda fanbois knows that the 787b was crap.

>win
>is crap

Explain this, atheist.

>wins one race the whole season because everyone else choked

If I am not mistaken a 2t needs maintenance at the same rate as a 4t but at a third the cost.

Wrong

Yeah looks like you got alot of dirt and bald spots to mow with those.

Take better care of your damn lawn, and buy a four stroke with a neutral gear faggot

Provisional hype, but I'd rather see a return of rotary engines to motorcycling if we're going to jump on the Fuck Emissions oil-eating train.

>run 5000 miles
>do a top end rebuild
>runs another 5000 miles

Uh, when it comes to motocross bikes, its 100% correct, with some reliability edge going to the KTM 2strokes.
Learn something, son. 4stroke MX engines are not built to last. At all.

Not to mention the price difference

4t are cheaper in the long run than 2t

lol what