/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Goblin baby snatcher edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Syndrome
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Finally an op pic that isn't recycled every three threads.

From last thread:
>More progress... the artifact encounter problems I'm aware of are fixed, and NPC questers can go on near-fruitless quests in play to find artifacts known to be lost in the wilds (and find them if they happen upon the exact spot). You can sometimes find these ill-fated heroes wandering around out there, but there isn't currently a way for them to get more refined information.

>Your adventurer can now name any of their legally-nameable objects (so e.g. no arrow stacks, but you can name individual arrows). This elevates the items to historical status, so you'll get events recorded about them. That doesn't mean other people will care about them. There's still a bit to do, and GDC is creeping up at the end of the month (I have a short talk again), but we'll hopefully be through the boring cleanup part soon and get to dwarf mode off-map squads.

>Migrants lead a werebeast to my fort
it hasn't even been a year yet

I guess it won't come out before summer after all.

That means we might not get the myths before early 2019.

ikr, it makes us look like unoriginal hacks

All in all, he's doing a good job for now
sucks that it takes more than we thought I was one of the people that were sure he'd release before christmas
But at least we'll get the stuff he promised and the secret stuff he always puts in in each update (I hope its not only the naming stuff, although that is cool)

I look forward to the GDC, we might get more insight of the myth creation screen, after all, it was in the last GDC when he showed it, and he said it still was barebones

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to magic in the next decade.

I think part of the dwarf mode slowdown was making sure they wouldn't get stuck looking for shit that was in the middle of nowhere and end up camping out.

This might actually help with the armies camping bug too.

Also wonder if this means we'll get stuff like an axe we use for five historical kills will get a random name?

Like I said, it'll probably be postponed until 2019, but not longer.

Remember that myths = magic.

I havent played for about 3 years so I havent used the latest update. It is addictive like crack so it would just consume my spare time.

Think I should wait another few years til the next update so it has magic and shit?

>Remember that myths = magic
No, the myths update and the functional magic system update will probably be separate updates, even if the "magic update" is fleshing out the basic groundwork laid by the myths update. Considering the complexity of both systems I find it hard to believe that both of them will be included in one single update.

>want to play dorf
>should I wait for dorf?
Just download it now, you triple goblin.

>triple goblin
Well done, my good chum.

Either way, the myth and legends are rumoured to come with "sliders" for worldgen, where you can determine how fantastic or mundane you want your world to be, among other things.

Everyone died from fucking dehydration

I thought I was making tons of booze

>La la, the grownups are dead, guess we're off to happyland corpsedaddy!

He was in emotional shock until he died, I guess watching a werepanda take your Mom away broke his mind

What graphic pack is that?

Spacefox

Gayfox

Furries in space

I want to play as a babysnatcher in adventure mode. I wish Toady would make playable goblins more fleshed out. Why hasn't he relative to the elves and humans, etc.?

I stationed two werebulls in a room and then walled off the entrance with a fortification. When they turned, they slaughtered each other. That was a surprise.

Part of the problem is the mount situation.

Spacefox has such a weird mental disconnect, cute little dorfs, cute little animals, cute little gobs, bodyparts and gore and vomit everywhere!

>awww, look at that one on fire, how adorable

It was my favorite until I discovered CLA, and then learned how to make CLA nonSquare.

GemSet has a lot of the same bright cheery feel in higher resolutions, but I ended up going back to pure ascii tilesets+basic creature graphics since twbt fucks up adventure mode hard, and ended up just doing an HD ascii tileset without graphics nowadays.

Part of the problem is the mount situation.

Are goblins especially reliant on mounts or something?

Nah, adventure mode hauling units/riding units is weird, to be able to kidnap a kid you need to be able to pick them up and put them in a bag or backpack.

It'll also be needed for stuff like:
>idiot companion jumps in a river and starts drowning
>buddy ends up saving your ass but gets wounded and passes out
>trying to help someone escape from something but they won't try to climb up a wall with you right away
>lifting a foe bodily into the air before walking over to a ledge and tossing them over
>getting into a rough situation and grabbing a hostage before backing out of the room with them
>kidnapping people
>having babies and actually carrying them normally
>hauling people to a hospital or whatnot for treatment
>helping a drunk home by letting them toss an arm around your shoulders and staggering alongside you
>playing as a wild animal or monster and grabbing prey by the throat then dragging them out of a room as they struggle

should have built a wall...

Gotta love it.

Is there any way to have raised corpses equip items? It's somewhat annoying strangling these sleeping armoured swordsmen only to have their armour fall off the second they suffocate, then only having a naked zombie after that.

Im hot for all that realism in DF, but saddenly, we are probably very far away from that
I'd love if the wirld was more 'cohesive' in the sense of how everything works and what you do in it.

The trees and fruit update rally made the game so much more aesthetic and comfy.

Add an adventurer usable brewing reaction and go see what everything you find turns into!

I've been wanting to mod a set of venom inducing plants, like cicuta or datura. The syndrome system is complex enough to support this kind of stuff right?

Easily.
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Syndrome

Yeah. The first time I saw the animations when they bloom in spring and drop their leaves in fall, it took my breath away.

I remember one time when I settled in a biome which had a mist that made your entire body rot.

The rot was easy for my surgeons to cure, and I never lost a dorf to it. HOWEVER, the eyes of the victims always remained "mangled" for the rest of their lives, meaning no more masterworks for them.

In any case, I remember that there was this one incident when an entire group of herbalists got surprised by the mist. As they fell unconscious from the mist (another effect of it), they also dropped their harvest, and said harvest ended up with a coating of the mist's substance on it. When the mist had gone away, and the victims where brought to the hospital, the mist-coated food items were brought to the food stockpile.

Soon thereafter, I found my dwarves falling ill left and right in my food stockpile, after trying to eat the mist-coated fruits and berries.

How do you guys cope with fps death?

Start up a new fort

I dont
I play on a computer, I've never had a fort enough time to experience the actual game on it's fullest, and seeing the speed of complexity the game is geting, I probably never will

All in all, its my favourite game
I find it particularly funny that such a broken, unfinished, clearly bad optimized piece of crap like this game has become my favourite of all I've ever played
Life sure is weird

All those fortresses will be lost in time, like frames in a siege.

>I play on a computer
Good for you.
I, like many other gentlemen of exquisite and exuberant taste, play DF on paper.

retard problems, meant laptop

Yeah the blooming flowers and the falling leaves and petals are really pretty.

Even in it's currently unfinished state, DF is one of the greatest games ever made. After the magic release it will climb even more in the ranking.

>magic release
That sounds sexual.

No it doesn't dude

You couldn't tell if something was sexual even if it fucked you in the face you fucking nerd.

Is this sexual?

It's fucking degenerate is what it is.

Its love, user. And love is never degenerate.

Elv needs to be taller and less thicc.

elves are the same size as dwarves though, 60,000

Not in my fantasies and that's the only thing that counts.

Do your fantasies involve beanstalks and giraffes too, you dirty long un'?

Only elv

Elves getting mauled to fucking death, maybe?

Why don't yuo like elv?

thsi

"Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”

>something has pulled a lever

it's working

his time has come

Did it lower the drawbridge to the entry to the caverns with hell open?

I thought of a good solution to clearing out the initial wave of demons. Basically just as soon as you breach it/get your breaching dwarf safe (optional), toggle a bridge that shuts off the path to your fortress, and then toggle another bridge that shunts all the demons into a chamber near/on surface that has a closed bridge to the outside, and then seal off access to your fort from the surface. So you'll just have a bunch of demons in a room waiting to be released. Then when a goblin siege comes you could release them. Or just keep them in there.

tl;dr you can just use bridges to seal off demons and potentially unleash them on goblin sieges/caravans.

Please do it and keep us posted on how it goes.

It's an alarm, now he's trapped. I'll just set the webbed cages now.

I do that with forgotten beasts, you'll need a huge amount of sieges to clean hell up, the gobbos don't stand a chance.

Relicwebs?

No but I did steal the colors

Like this.

Maybe could separate the demons into smaller groups using bridges and then release them bit by bit.

Yes, I believe separating them is essential. The last time I did it was with a giant humanoid made of rock with some kind of spittle/vapor, he tore through goblins like a machine, but If you can release him at a big group of invaers it's very likely they will win.

Right now I have a dinosaur with vapors (which apparently kills almost instantly) trapped near the entrance hall, but I haven't tried him against any invaders. Also an insect with webs, but I keep him for clothing.

Does he really believe people are going to the wiki pages for languages in the game just to get his silli joke?
Toady could ban him someday tbqh familia

If you want to rage check the quality of his posts in the "Sex" suggestion thread.

But honestly with that being said he's probably just a cute little autistic 15 year old. So I can't say I really bear any ill will towards him.

i think its hilarious u kids talking shit about Random_Dragon. u wouldnt say this shit to him at dwarfmoot, hes jacked. not only that but he wears the freshest clothes, eats at the chillest restaurants and hangs out with the hottest dudes. yall are pathetic lol

everything about him seems like a perfect chrystallisation of eberything I hate about the bay12 forums

>lolsorandom (i.e. "Pyscho Bored Dragon")
>edgy humour outside of image boards
>probably shares "funny memes" on facebook
>lol im so CRAZY, here in the DF community we're all CRAZY lol

>all this women drama over some kid at b12

disgusting, keep it there

I reckon I could take on toady. His lack of physical activity and poor dietary habits, against my martial arts and wiry strength would be no contest.

You forget your place...

would you teleport behind his back and slice his throat like in anime too?

Your post is even lower quality. Congratulations, you sunk to the bottom of the barrel.

>*katanas behind u*
>*unzips teleporter*
ur dead kiddo

pic is me and my gf btw

>Toady One enters a martial trance

Fuck off retard, this bitching about who you like or not in bay12 belongs at bay12.

no u faggot

why cant DF be this advanced?
I would donate right now to Toady If I knew this kind of precision would be in the combat system some day

It would just be bloat.

If you want it, you can mod it in like napoleanon (the creator of the mod in your pic) did.

We're lucky if we get them at early 2020

that is an absolutely beautiful pic

Anyone need anything drawn?

Draw toady commanding a giant war scamps to tear a goblin apart pls

this guys the gobbo

Two dwarven squads fully clad in steel with limbs as weapons charging at a goblin army and their demon overlord who is wearing only a loincloth made of elven ears and unicorn horns.

>tfw want to dorf
>tfw dorf

You fool, you mentioned the Lords and Ladies by name!

one-legged dwarf struggling to keep balance in his new crutch while saying "oooh'

what is the context behind this

elf getting cucked by dorf

gobbo and dorf declaring peace while elf screeches autistically

More explanation:

>dude idly wished they could play as Guts
>I got cocky and said I knew how it could be done
>suggested how
>thought about it later that night
>started trying to test out how I was doing it
>kept having trouble getting it working right
>finally managed to get the limb made out of metal properly
>decided to test it was all properly metal and learned I had somehow ended up with flesh and bone fingers on the end of a metal arm
>fiddled with things more until I got it working fully
>realized while testing that it worked properly that I was playing a naked human female with a metal arm who was crying as she bludgeoned another naked human female with her own severed burning arm to make sure the metal one was all metal

Can I die if I ignore my bloodthirsty as a vampire adventurer, or can I just carry on being an immortal superhuman murder god?

Can't die, but it does start to get annoying, I wonder if we can have drinking blood make you get Focused! though.

Make sure to use magma safe materials for the bridges