Someone tell me why I shouldn't buy this bike for $750

someone let me know all the things fucked up about the 1980 yamaha xs 850 special. buying from a speed shop.

you could buy it for $650

If it runs, go for it.

If it doesn't run, it's a pain in the ass to make 80s bikes work but it's not complicated, just annoying.

750 to much? that brake rotor looks a little fucked up. its a toss up between this one and a 82 suzuki GS 1100 for $800. the yamaha has a kick start that i like becuase if battery power is lost im not stuck but the suzuki has makuni carbs while the yamaha has shittier hitachi carbs

it runs well and has been serviced by a pro at the speed shop

Then go for it. A working medium displacement bike will fetch at least 1500 on Craigslist if you can sell it right and take good pictures. As a first bike, it's not bad at all.

I would be wary about a shop putting that much effort into it. If they did, it would be listed for a lot more

Gs1100 is not a good first bike, that thing weighs a fuckton and puts out twice the power.

not much work has been put into it if any past getting it running well.
not my first bike and looking for something to put a ton of shit on a tour around the west coast camping. pic related, comes with torn up stock seat and fender plus the solo thats on it.

Jesus that is terrible looking.

That being said the game will probably be better for highway duty

heres something terrible looking. this is the 3rd place contender. yes the mirrors are skeleton hands and iv probably never seen a more botched goldwing in my life. its a 78.

God damn dude.

Well I had a lot of fun riding my cx500 around the West coast two summers ago. It was a little under powered, but I would look for something with a more traditional standard seating position of you're doing heavy riding. This VT was good but cramped and I'm only 5'10

nice. im for sure going to be putting different bars on any of these bikes. i just spent a year and halfish on a yamaha Xv 250 in florida for my first bike and then i rode a harley 883 around florida for about 6 months before i moved out west. im 6'5" and so the size of the goldwing is basically the only attractive thing about it. and by "riding around" florida i did actually tour the state with all my gear and my tall ass on a 250. it was a nightmare.

That's rough. Have you considered a larger Honda Shadow?

I have and would love one there just arent any for my price range around here. the prospect of water cooling is extremely attractive since i know ill be putting a ton of shit on it and ripping up highways in north cali and oregon at 70+ MPH. do you think it would be worth it to wait and see if something new pops up? the closest big craigslist to me is eugene oregon and frankly the motorcycle market around here is pretty bad.

Where are you located? I lived in Corvallis for two years. Epic back roads there.

You'll be fine with air cooled as long as you keep moving. Water cooling is extra security though

roseburg. been here for about a year and its pretty nice. i do alot of camping and hiking in the umpqua nation forrest and its beautiful. cant wait to go cruise around in there. thats good to know. i was pretty concerned about that yamaha tripple. especially since it has a bank of hitachi carbs instead of makunis. the hitachi carbs are kind of ruining the yamaha for me.

Lotta Oregonians on Veeky Forums, more than any other board I've been on.

As long as they are clean and it's running alright you'll be fine. I fucking loved riding from Corvallis to Newport and waldport. Oregon is top tier one of the best biking states in the Union.

I live in Colorado now but Oregon was awesome

im still skeptical of hitachi >.> im checking out that GS 1100 tomorrow and will post results if they are good. its a 4 and a half hour drive so im trying not to come back empty handed. the yamaha is a pretty good backup if the suzuki is to far gone

Sounds good. Post in dbt if you get it.

Excellent bike. Will last a long time

>be me
>buy 04 shadow 750 ace for $1500
>ride it 5 times around neighborhood
>never get a helmet
>never register it
>never get my license
>has been sitting for 4 years now

:(