Sup Veeky Forums, can I legally rent a car in the UK (or Ireland) with a US Military ID...

Sup Veeky Forums, can I legally rent a car in the UK (or Ireland) with a US Military ID? The gf has a student visa over there, and she told me she was unable to.

im gay

please respond

Why the fuck wouldn't you be able to rent a car like any other tourist?

i thought it was weird they wouldnt let a student visa holder rent idk. ive never rented a car abroad f a m

> American student
> Can't rent a car
I think it's more like they WON'T rent her a car. They know four things:
> Americans are shitty drivers
> Students have no money
> Students can't be trusted with nice things
> Americans are hard as fuck on cars
To save having to eat the devaluation of whatever shitty car they'll rent her, or have to replace a burned clutch, they just refused her business.
They'll probably tell you to get fucked as well.

It''s not worth the trouble renting a car to an American, because they have it in their heads that if they pay a small amount of money regularly they own it from the first day.
Black and white definition of ownership is hard to comprehend for them.

She is chinese malay tho

Renting != leasing

>Chink
>In any way good with cars

I mean you are completely correct but I still had to make the distinction

same shit

>financing and leasing != renting until last payment

I'm literally visiting for 2 weeks.

How old is your GF?

A lot of places won't touch you unless you're at least 21.

This may sound silly but has she actually passed a UK drivers test?

22. She hasn't taken or passed the drivers test in the UK. She has a malay DL, tho. But her information keeps telling her that she would be required to have an international DL in order to rent.

I had a friend who told me that with a military ID I would be able to rent one over there. Sadly I lost my Texas DL when I lost my wallet, though.

I've just looked a few things up, and I think the problem may be how long she has been in the UK.
Her international license would allow her to rent a car, but if she has been here for more than 12 months she will need to go and take a test. If she hasnt been here for that long then I'm not sure what the problem is, perhaps she is just trying companies that don't like young drivers. Young drivers get fucked hard over here.

As for you, it does look like you'll need your US license, You also need other ID like a passport, which you should of course be bringing with you.

I cant find any info on being able to rent with your military ID alone, not to say you cant do it. Id get your GF to phone around and ask.

Thanks for the help m8 it looks like we are fucked. Looks like it's the trains for us. Don't mind too much but we were looking at a roadtrip to lake district

Thats a shame. I'm guessing there is no possibility of replacing your licence in time. Do get her to phone a rental company and ask about whether or not you military ID will get you by though, I can't find any info on this.

>Why the fuck wouldn't you be able to rent a car like any other tourist?
Just because some tourists rent cars doesn't mean all tourists can. Some tourists are "returners" in that they qualified before, so of course their IDL and other info is on record. No problem for them.

make sure if you get a tyre problem you make your girlfriend hold it in her lap instead of sticking it in the boot.