youtube.com/watch?v=vGiPUx9Zgi0
youtube.com/watch?v=FjV8SHjHvHk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for next jam theme poll!
vote.pollcode.com/35192779
>vote.pollcode.com/35192779
vote.pollcode.com/35192779
>vote.pollcode.com/35192779

How do you guys feel about female protagonists?

What is your plan for this thread, user?

I'm using System.Linq in c# for loading data from xml documents, how can I make and read a list in an xml document?

something like
Warrior,Rogue,Mage
and then when loading
List = xml.Element("ClassList")
???
something like that???

Limited. Females can not be subjected to many things that are a-ok to do to males without social media backlash.

Reminder that marketing is important, even if you have a good game!
youtube.com/watch?v=T9AmX1Qfzpg
youtube.com/watch?v=4CYfKWEKusg
youtube.com/watch?v=7bH-1v-Yz9k

Just gonna ask this aain, would love to get some input and personal advice.

I cant seem to work on anything or dev. I write down my plans, setup a schedule to dev, but I end up not doing it. I don't even fully know why. It's a weird feeling of anxiety and feeling like I wont make it anyways. Lately i've been feeling this with everything I loved doing. Be it vidya, reading, drawing, cooking.

I get short bursts of motivation of sorts and can work for days without stop. But then it feels like the magic is gone and it all comes crashing down.

Am I just being lazy? How do I stop being like this and work on something? Anyone ever felt like this and were able to pull through? I need some advice.

Also the only thing that does work to some degree is small collaborations of sorts or friendly competitions. When I feel that i'm working on something and someone DEPENDS on me doing it right, I just do it. But once the other person shows a lack of interest, it freezes up again.

Leaving it to those weirdoes who don't live in the same timezone than me.

online works demo saturday : )

I dunno man, I have at least 5 people that committed to buying it already

Thanks!

Not at all, in VR it's incredibly cool and useful. Hell, even valve couldn't figure it out.
It's incredibly useful for things like inventory systems (I.E. bags of holding) and locomotion in VR since it offers a natural-seeming way to move without having to leave the playspace.

Do they pilot a mecha?
If yes, then it's good. If no, then they need to pilot a mecha.

>tfw have lots of ideas
>start prototyping them, excited about what it could be
>get it almost playable
>realize it isn't fun
How do I stop having ideas that completely die on contact with a player? I just can't into gameplay. Nothing that I have in my head actually works once it's in front of me and tangible.

I can program. I'm okay at art. I make decent progress.

My games just suck. Help me.

Keeping myself alive seems to be the most important task for now. Maybe start a side project after that.

Post logos.

That's the point of prototyping. Make lots and lots of prototypes fast, many will suck. Change them up a bunch, see what becomes fun. Once you find something that is a lot of fun, expand on it.

That is super interesting, thanks for posting it.

>revolver360
Off to a depressing start. Shit looks super nice.

I've never understood that, it's sexist as fuck.
It wouldn't be too extreme anyway just yopur average fantasy violence.
I don't like mecha very much, plus it's medieval and magic focused.

How do I start devving for switch? All I can see on devportal is some nda and wii/3ds shit.

Out of curiosity, how much do you sell it? the link to the asset seems broken.

How do you tell your collab partner you want out?

>I've never understood that, it's sexist as fuck.
>"So in your game women get beat, raped, tortured, and mutilated? Shouldn't you see a shrink about that?"
Fucking normies.

Wait, you can't click the link to the asset?
Oh shiiiiiiii, I copied the wrong one
here you go
assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/81638

I followed the guideline pricing, I wish that I could generate discount codes for folks here but unfortunately the Unity store offers no such thing.

You can now loot the test enemy like a container after your bring their life to 0!

>train getting bigger

literally molyneux

youtube.com/watch?v=vGiPUx9Zgi0

Hoping to finish up some mechanics work so I can post today, but if not I will try my damnedest to post progress tomorrow.

Open the IDE. Above all else, as long as you have not become numb to seeing it sit there idling then having your IDE open should, at the very least, give you a sense of obligation. (This one is tough though because if you have been doing this then the sight of it sitting there is just background noise at this point)

Also decide on something small. Something super small and cute. Get some hot tea or coffee or hot chocolate, put on some music or podcasts or story readings and Just Like Make Game. Even completing something small will give you a huge boost in confidence and determination.

Always remember, the person depending on you is yourself. Don't let that person down, user. They depend upon you the most out of everyone else. Sharing here also helps because you can get some interaction on your progress and feel good about doing something.

>implying mecha can't exist in a fantasy magical world

>So you believe women should be treated equally and not like children?
>Oh you want them coddled and protected from any consequence aswell?
You sure do love your strong women...

I never saw that game but you could use this asset to re-create that game easily given how scaling is relative.

youtube.com/watch?v=FjV8SHjHvHk

it was more of a tech demo, I think it was for dimitri/milo

just something to show off at gdc, keep in mind this was 2005 or 6

Damn, user. It's like I'm reading my own thoughts.

I was always a guy with a lot of enthusiasm, you know? I was with full of energy, always pushing forward. I'm always way to worked up, just to meet the harsh reality that it is only I how care about the given thing this much. I slowly learned that no matter the effort, I won't reach that magical fairy land I always dreamed of. Nowadays I just want to work. I just make up these small challenges, call it game dev or writing or whatever, to have a reason to wake up. However when that drive is gone, either because the others involved seemingly lost interest or because I face a wall I can not climb, I become immobilized. I end up in a state where I can not work, but can not really relax either. Days just go by and I wonder if my life is going anywhere.

Most of the time I don't even believe what I'm doing is real. Am I really sitting in this office with these people? Damn, they talk to me about all these tasks we should do, and they really think I give a damn, while I just want to get home and work on my game.

Sorry. I feel like an ass now. I guess that helped in no way. Maybe I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. You can tell me if there's more, I'm a good listener.

Got resource generation and storage done.

A generator can make several different kinds of resources, each with their own probability of generation and total amount, there are only solar panels now but in the future you will be able to mine the environment for limited resources.
Each turn the game controller checks for all generated resources and tries to send them to the emptiest storage.

Right now the resources just teleport around but I will make so that they have to travel through transmission nodes, similar to how Creeper World does it.

I can mix and match unit types too, I can have a miner that also fires projectiles and stores its own resources for example, the goal is to let the player build their own units to deal with different situations, akin to Warzone 2100.

The resources don't do anything yet so the next step will be making it so that units require certain kinds of resources to be build and work.

sounds like manic/depressive episodes, but I'm not a psych so I can't say for sure

Anyone have any spare game ideas laying around? I could use a few.

If you need support user I'm here for you.

I have too many

I could probably come up with a new one on the spot if you give me some requirements

>a hack n slash game with portals
>a racing game with portals

so many possibilities

Rhythm game X Shmup

user, how's your health? Are you eating well? Getting some exercise? Socializing every now and then, even just in multiplayer games?

A lot of what you just described sounds like depression, especially that you're losing motivation to do so many of the things you love. Remember to take care of yourself.

Like that other user said, setting small goals and working towards that is good. And realizing that you rely on you is a good thing too.

But you gotta stay healthy. Take a shower, eat some good food, take a walk, call a friend. Remember to do the stuff that keeps you alive. Then set small goals, and go for it.

I believe in you, user. Take care of you, and Just Like Make Game.

How would you implement something like this where you're actually able to cut away material and reform the geometry in real time?

My idea that I've currently implemented was taking a very point cloud and then removing the points that exist within the geometry of the cutting tool then writing a geometry shader to create a solid from it (if htat's even possible, never worked with geometry shaders and haven't attempted this yet). However doing it this method is extremely slow and w

advanced destruction physics

marchiccubees

Hopefully decide what the fuck I want to make for my next game.

Been through that. Talked to a doc, got meds. Meds helped my motivation, especially in the beginning. Progress fucken' everywhere.
Doesn't mean you'll have a constant high though. I'm still on meds, still believe they help, but I've been putting off seeking a therapist due to a bunch of other unresolved shit.
It may seem scary at first to hand yourself in like that, but it really needs to be done. And get a professional to talk to. Don't repeat my mistake.

This link works, thanks.

The price seems a bit high for an asset, but as said, there are tons of stuff to do with this. And I never took the time to try this mechanic, so maybe the maths involded justify the cost.
Looks fun, though, good luck!

>loli winning
>again
Don't try to fight it agdg
Embrace it

It doesn't matter what website you host the poll on, nodevs and people who hate jams will always vote for dumb themes. I don't understand why this isn't clear to you.

Is this the appropriate time to ask for loli game ideas?

What do you guys do to promote your game?
>sent to all my friends
>post on every social media site I can find
>email as many gaming sites as possible
>post devblogs and repost them on reddit and gamedev forums
Starting to run out of ideas for where I can further promote my game

I see all these Unity tutorials on how to do an indexcolor palette swap for spritesheets but I have no idea how to do this in UE4's material editor

Thank you this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Reminder

Finish up these goddamn death animations.

6 monsters to go, one of which is getting a complete overhaul for sprites and behaviour, two of which need to actually be made.

youtubers

I plan on keeping my game a secret so that after I die people can discover my opus, you know, just like that janitor who did all that art featuring big titty angels with dicks

shill on /v/

What's a good name for space kinda-like asteroids game (but it has no asteroids really) but with a huge skill tree?

Youtube personalities that play your game's genre. Strategy / townbuilder to quill18, W40k to TotalBiscuit, unironically shitty games to Cr1t1kal etc.
Journalists' personal email.

faggots in space: skill trees edition

does it matter?
you can make the same game as long there is a loli on it it will count

source?

>tfw 0 (zero) (You)s

Space Core : Ranger Rogue

there's only a few options really
a) muh representation / women can be men too silly boys / other sjw garbage
b) teenage boy bait / artist female body fetish / waifu bait / lolicon bait / other disgusting fetishism
c) thematic fit i.e. cooking mama

all of which are garbage, I can think of very few female characters that have a reason to exist that don't go in the above brackets, and fewer main characters

>motto misprint
Hey there, fellow collector.

Where does Samus fall into this?

darkstar one

>thematic fit is garbage

Damn, user. Thank you for your kindness. It's just, you know. I can not even describe. I live the perfect normie life, yet I have these constant suicidal thoughts. But I rather stop here. People often get warned or banned for playing /adv/ on Veeky Forums.

So, yeah, I guess a side project might cheer me up in the weekend.

It's been a minute.

>bet you thought this robot was a man huh?
>zero suit fetishism

trash

>muh e-every woman is inferior to me! I'm a big strong man!
simply epic.

When will the GM:S2 discount offer end?

Unity wins again.

It's only at the price point that it is because it's optimized out the wazoo and it fully functions on mobile and in VR, plus it has full physics passthrough support which literally none of the other portal assets on the unity store have

Yup! And, since scripts can go through portals independently of their host objects, all of that fun stuff works exactly as you'd expect it to

Are there any female protags that meet your autistically high standards then?

Why should it matter? If you're serious about game dev you'd be willing to pay full price for Gamemaker.

That's a lot of responses! I'm kinda happy to hear others had/have this problem aswell.

I do have the IDE and engine open during the day. I just look at it and can't seem to work on anything.

> Always remember, the person depending on you is yourself. Don't let that person down, user.

I feel like i've already let myself down.

> I become immobilized. I end up in a state where I can not work, but can not really relax either. Days just go by and I wonder if my life is going anywhere.

That's how I feel aswell. Technically I don't feel sadness or bad, I just feel stuck As if i'm in a swap. Numb even.

I do go to a therapist. I've actually started seriously visiting one a couple months ago. Therapy, tons of tests. Started taking meds. I don't feel it helped me with working at all. I do feel better overall and my mind is much clear than before, but I still can't force myself to do any of the things I loved.

Maybe i'm just trying to do too much at once and should focus on smaller doses. Could it be a problem that when I do progress I do it for 8,10 sometimes 12+ hours / day? Over working and burning out? I need to start working on smaller chunks and stop worrying that I didn't finish something. Write down what needs to be finished during the next session and stop when the schedule says to stop.

Maybe that could help?

I also feel like I require someone to push me. Motivate me. Someone that comes up to me and says "hey user, show me your progress! Also here's mine. Lets discuss how we did it", a one on one thing, but that also sounds as if i'm spoiled.

> tfw blogposting

It amazes me that people like you take the time to write out personal diaries on the internet about your depression and problems but you don't have the time to just fucking do something productive.

You always have anime calling cards as well. Typical.

>count
But I don't want to make a game which simply "counts" I want to make a dang hyper greatly neatly groovy game. And one needs good ideas for that

>Why should it matter if you lose $40?

>happy to hear others had/have this problem
Asshole.

>caring about money
>buying proprietary software
It's possible to make a game with completely gratis software, some of which is even free.

Just kill yourself you whining faggot nobody gives a shit

a game about finding a place to sleep?

$40 is nothing. Gamemaker is a top tier engine, that means you'll be making millions of dollars, if you're serious about being a game dev.

How can I make a 2D game about shooting the shit outta everything without it turning into just another SHMUP or Run-n-Gun?

Don't get me wrong, the price is fair for a commercial use, considering the saved time.
But a "demo"(not allowed to use in a commercial project, 2/3 useful functions cutted out) could get you some customers.

C-CUTE

>Just gonna ask this aain
Because the first time wasn't good enough?
>Am I just being lazy?
Yes. Why would you even need to ask other people? You're being lazy and you want attention for it.

literally nothing about this is gamedev related.

>That's a lot of responses!
Jesus fucking christ you're not even trying to hide what an attentionwhore you are.

Slain enemies drop guns that stack onto your guns for a fixed amount of ammunition before they detach.

So think katamari damacy but with dakka

I am doing this right now, actually.
It's gonna run kind of poorly and it won't have physics passthrough or optimizations or seamlessness but it'll work