Can you respray clearcoat if there is no visible paint fade?

Can you respray clearcoat if there is no visible paint fade?
I was polishing my nre2 second hand car and suddenly my pad went blue like the car
But the paint looks perfect
The paint currently has a full very light polish and sealant to it
Can I just respray it with clearcoat to protect it? It doesnt need to look 100% perfect its an older car not worth the cost of a full respray

My thoughts are that it will need a full respray anyway so if this works it works, if it doesnt Ill go the respray option

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/Paint-Your-Car-With-Rustoleum/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

New*
Also I need to stress there are no harsh chunks of missing clear
I could only tell because the buffing wheel changed colour and so did the rags investigating
Without that I would have never known, it just looks normal
It covers a significant part of the non removable frame panels so I cant just respray seperate panels

Also its a 2006 holden ute
Not worth almost doubling the price for a respray, but still worth attempting to stop the fade

Yeah I've done it before on my tahoe

I'm gonna hijack this thread. What's the cheapest you can get a paint job for an old beater truck? It doesn't need to be good

was it on a bumper or a fender or a place that looks to be accident prone? If so the bodyshop that painted it likely used a clearcoat/color mix when painting that area to save costs

not sure if you can just respray though

Yes you can use that stuff. Will look like crap, and you'll be out $8.

What's the price of 15-20 rattle cans?

Idk, 80 bucks maybe.

instructables.com/id/Paint-Your-Car-With-Rustoleum/

I did it in my bike. It works, especially if you warm the cans first, but it's kind of a pain. And hard to get glossy. And gas fucks it up

Define look like crap? I was planning on doing it with a proper spray gun and decent clear coat
It cant look worse than faded paint surely?

then a paint job will cost about 80 bucks

oi lads, I've got a car with fading paint on the hood and several nicks on the side, so I'm thinking of doing a full repaint this summer.

Am I right in assuming the general process is:
>sand down to paint, sand out scratches, rust, make surface smooth
>paint layer 1
>paint layer 2
>paint extra layers as needed
>clearcoat the fuck out of it
>wax

and if all that is right, would an orbital grinder with several pads be a good investment for the job? I can get deck lacquer for very cheap, and it looks plenty good on my front bumper, so I'll probably do the entire car that way. It also takes clearcoat fairly well.

I don't need it to be OEM quality, mind you. I just want it to be a single color, and I want it to be rustproofed for at least 3 more winters. I'd probably be looking at 100-200$ in supplies, and a few afternoons.

So just so we're clear, sunfaded paint can't be restored correct? Specifcally on a 2005 Subaru Impreza (Platinum Silver Metallic 01G), the paint is fucked on all the horizontal surfaces from the sun.

How much would a decent repaint for the original color cost?

Closed doors arent too much, only a few thousand, its when you actually strip and respray a different colour youre in for a ride

Can you get it glossy, is that possible?

If you want it glossy youll want to sand and buff before the clear coat and after the clear coat. I'm talking like 1500-3000 grit wet sanding. This will make your paint glossy. Because you're probably ly going to have orange peel.

Anybody ever sprayed a truck down with bed liner?

Buy glossy paint or do a glossy clear coat.