How the fuck have these guys not been sued yet...

How the fuck have these guys not been sued yet? I was looking at a fire extinguisher and the packaging was plastered in typos. Not to mention all the horror stories of their shitty Chinese cutting discs exploding. I just bought an air compressor from them too. Am I going to die?

>shitty Chinese cutting discs exploding
Expensive brand name cutting discs explode too, all you have to do is flex them a little bit by using improper technique.

Hence the nickname "deathwheels"

>he bought a harbor freight compressor

Kek.

Harbor Freight is for disposable, rarely used tools, user! What the fuck are you doing?!

>harbor freight
went there once, drill bit I needed said made in china, it broke, never went back to harbor freight

Because when using all tools you have accept some risk of injury.

And really all most companies are obligated to do, is tell you on the packaging to wear protective gear, which even on hazard fraught tools they do.

Ive had a harbor freight compressor for 10 years or so.
Works just fine

Harbor freight is more win than fail.

I've saved thousands over the years shopping there instead of a tool truck.
And they put sears/crapsman to shame for specialty automotive tools and scanners

Do
>buy Pittsburgh Pro

Don't
>buy regular Pittsburgh

Pretty much all my tools are from HF and I've had no issues. If they break, they got a warranty and I can swap it out in person just ten minutes away.

Beck v. Harbor Freight, No. 15CV00598

Class action lawsuit "claims alleging that Harbor Freight violated the law by advertising merchandise as “on sale” or “comp at” that had not been sold at the stated regular or “comp at” price for 28 of the preceding 90 days."

tl;dr Harbor freight has fake sales. And you can get money back.

I got that email but I don't think it has anything to do with me.

>look at what I wanted to buy
>they scan it
>price matched the label

I figured something like that would happen, though. When are they NOT having "the biggest sale ever"?

Their prices really are unbeatable. It's amazing.

Typically, in lawsuits like this, companies settle, and give out a check of whatever amount to customers.

I used to work at Firestone as a basic mechanic, and got a $200 check from some lawsuit I didn't know about, even after I left the company for 8 months.

It's worth a shot to just put in all your receipts from Harbor Freight, and you might get some money from it. I'm gonna try it myself.

Shit I threw all my receipts away.

Like any other store, Harbor Freight will have record of your purchase, if you did it by card, or they asked for a phone number. Just go ask them for any under your phone number.

Or check your email. I have all my purchases sent to me via email.

The $100 jack I bought from them works perfectly. Use it almost every week

Oh yeah I use my number. Might see if I can get them then. Thanks m8.

>Am I going to die?
We're all gonna die, Dude...haven't you been paying attention?

Cheap tools that I can incorrectly use and break, and not care about them.

Why spend $80 for a impact socket set from the Snap-On, when the same set is around $25 at HF?

Plus I don't have wait 1 day of the week when the Snap-On guy does come by my shop. Compared to just driving down the street to return the broken set, and get another one for free.

Harbor Freight sells alot of actual pure chink shit, they also sell some decent shit for a damn good deal. The trick is finding out what sucks and what doesn't.

Example:
>Pittsburgh wrenches
Literal dog shit tier, not worth their weight in scrap

>Pittsburgh """""Pro"""""" flex head ratcheting wrenches
Still shit tier, but decent enough for the few times you need a flex head ratcheting wrench and don't feel like dropping 10x on the strap-on equivalent.

Try 380 dollars. 80 dollars might get you two sockets.

I still have yet to break my Pittsburgh wrenches after 2 years of daily use.

>Buy a $20 tool and think its shit
>Buy the $250 snap on version
>It's the same exact tool

Name one time in your life this has happened.

Only thing I've broken from them was a 3/8" breaker bar. Pretty much my fault, though. Tried to use it to crack a seized lug on a neighbor's Ford Expedition. kek

The only thing I wonder how they haven't been sued for, is these super blatant ripoffs of Snap-on ratchets
> Snap-on vs. Harbor Freight
EVERY FUCKING WHERE I GO THERE IS THIS ASSHOLE

Because they are fucking awful, the flex heads don't even have detents in them so they loosen up and flop around. Not to mention the reversing mechanism is the exact opposite of literally every other ratchet ever made. Pure chink shit.

It's good for hobbyists who don't use their tools extensively or very often. I have a multimeter and soldering iron from HF that work fine, because I just do basic stuff with them. I've also bought surge protectors, safety glasses, and lots of hand tools that are all fine for what they are. Bought my brother a couple shop items like a belt grinder and they get a ton of use and work well. I probably wouldn't buy welding equipment, specialty power tools, or compressors from HF, but if you know which types of products they sell are decent quality, you can save a ton of money.

My Snap On flex ratchets don't have detents in them either, I just put an o ring in the pivot if they loosen up at all, I've had my 3/8 for over 10 years and it's still solid. I don't really like detents on flex heads except for 1/2" drive stuff, for small ratchets the non detent can get into tighter spots. Not saying the Harbor Freight is good, it's probably not, but flex head ratchets don't necessarily need detents

>How the fuck have these guys not been sued yet?
Because consumer protection laws are very lax on the use of tools. All they need to do for most tools is say "Wear protective gear" and they are covered even for jacks that suddenly get seal leaks.

I own a Harbor Freight compressor. The cylinder was cast in Italy, and the tank and motor were made in the USA.

Drill bits break all the time, user. That's why you buy lots of them for cheap.

These rachets are GOAT tho.

forgot pic

>composite
Yeah, no. It's clear you've never used a quality ratchet before.

>drill bit break all the time
Not good ones, they don't. And not if you actually know how to use a drill.

What ratchet is good then user?

All of their stuff has worked fine for me.

I've gotten rid of everything except Snap-on. The one ratchet that I have that isn't a Snappy is a 24" long 1/2" drive flex head Powerbuilt. That's something that rarely gets used, so I couldn't justify even a used Snap-on.

When it comes to screwdrivers and ratchets, yes, there's a difference.

But seriously, I have only $300 in all of this. I use Craigslist, Facebook and eBay to buy my stuff. If you do car maintenance above changing oil, it's time to invest in a good ratchet. Start with a fine tooth 11" flex head 3/8 as your first piece. Something similar to an FLF80A. My flex is an F747A, which I think is another great choice. Doesn't have to be those exact ones, but you get my drift.

I'm telling you, as soon as you use one, you'll be hooked.

lol the ratchets I posted were only $11, snapons look like shit

>judging a ratchet on aesthetics, not how it feels in your hand or performs on the job

>Why spend $80 for a impact socket set from the Snap-On, when the same set is around $25 at HF?
because you like hexagons to stay hexagons

These plebs will never understand flank drive, will they?

It's interesting you mention that. The steel ramps I bought were made in the USA too by some Illinois based metal company.

Not car related but I bought a steel brush from them once for welding, and after a week all of the wires fell out

I filled my entire new service truck with tools from Harbor Freight. Shit has a lifetime warranty, who cares

plus that earthquake tho

I'll never understand tool snobs.

Just bought a mac 12 point 16mm shallow impact 3/8 for doing cat starters, 43$ for one socket, the kit was 370

i still use walmart specials, and the only time i ever broke one of their ratchets was when i was replacing the hubs on an old shitbox. Which case i was abusing the shit out of the tool.

>take ratchet
>place on rusted hub bolt
>try normally to get that shit off and it just wont
>fuck it
>grab 3 foot breaker bar and slide it over ratchet
>take my 300lb fat ass and stand on the breaker bar
>jump
>bolt comes loose and the gears in the ratchet shred

either way it did get the bolt off as it died

Fuck. In leafland we have mastercraft. It's a step above HF apparently, but still our equivalent and I always question if they play this trick. Their tools are always 20-50% off without fail. I don't know If I have ever seen them not on sale desu.

Because you've never owned good tools.

this is hilariously true and gave me a hearty kek

suggest god-tier brands pls

>inb4 your grandpa's old set

>12 point
>impact
wat

I'm not the guy you quoted, but snap on diagnostic tools, and ratchets, Pittsburgh prybars, Klein bullpins, and line up tools, wiha screwdrivers, SK wrenches, fluke multimeter's, weller soldering irons, Lincoln welders (below the $30k omfg balls to the wall welders from miller), craftsman sockets, and estwing hammers

You mean cheater bar? A breaker bar does not ratchet, it's just the square part that holds the socket.

>16" manual chain saw
>79.99
>LOST

FUCKING KEKED

Sale or fake sale, can't really complain about a torque wrench for 40 Canadian pesos

>How the fuck have these guys not been sued yet?
Because you can't sue the store selling stuff. Your lawsuit is against the maker of the tool. You cannot sue the chinese brand name owner if it is a derivitive licensee. Since that is a chinese company, you will fail because chinese courts are corrupt. And china has a method to stop you such as:

Actual Company name: Pittsburgh2016september17
Making tools on 2016 september 17

When it becomes Sept 18, the prior company transfers its assets to Pittsburgh2016september18 and then closes shop. Your lawsuit is against Pittsburgh2016september17 which is out of business and has no assets for you to attach.

Less obvious tricks like this are done in the USA. Years ago (during Dubya presidency), a california food company poisoned a lot of people. They were going to sue. The company sold its assets to another company whose officers were mostly the same ones as the prior company. It laid everyone off and closed shop. The new company then opened for business at the same location and rehired most of the prior employees.

i took the handle from my jack for leverage. slipped it over the handle of my ratchet and stood on it and jumped

you need a bigger ratchet, 3/8th drive isn't enough.
idiot.

It worked though. and i ended up replacing that 5$ ratchet with a 20$ one that i still have years later

>$300
>basic screwdrivers and redundant ratchets

Umm. Okay.

>buying snap on screw drivers.
Your worse then fucking apple fags

>drill bit broke

uh, they always break if you actually use them for more than 4 seconds at a time.

Lol ok
>use "good tool". Result: bolt is removed
>use "bad tool". Result: bolt is removed
Damn I'm convinced

cutting discs only explode if you use them wrong, even the harbor freight ones.

I broke 2 of 3/8 socket drivers

one was after a few years of abuse, the other was literally the same day I got it. this third is holding up pretty good but we'll see how long it holds up, only had it for probably a little less than a year now.

Their earthquake impact drills are actually pretty good. Used one at a scooter shop I worked at. Comparable to snapon according to a vid I watched

>everybody here recommending snap-on
>nobody realizes snap-on is just overpriced chink shit now like craftsman, husky, kobalt and pittsburgh

they're all just as shitty as the rest at this point. I can't think of a major brand name that isn't made in China

Just bought this HF box over the weekend. Then most of my complete socket sets are harbor freight. Also have a HF power washer and most of my air tools are from them too. I have yet to have an issue or any regret over spending a third or less of what I would of on the "big" names.

> Cant think of a major brand name that isn't made in china
Snap-on
Cornwell
Armstrong
Wright

Went and looked at a US General box. It was made pretty shittily, but as cheap as it was, I was going to buy one anyway. Because of the stupid big time money off coupon, they were out of them.

Went to Sears and looked at a Craftsman instead. Build quality was much, much nicer. Plus, the Craftsman was actually made in America, which actually surprised me.

The Craftsman box I go was about $70 more expensive than the HF POS, but it's a much better built box, and it's American made, which I do like a lot.

I might look into this. I was going to buy the 72" from HF, the reviews on it are great, but man it feels awful in person. I'm not expecting strap on quality for a grand, but man it felt flimsy.

I got a US General tool chest for Christmas a few years ago and I'm satisfied with it. Its a toolbox and holds my shit how can you go wrong

ok guys what the fuck is up with prices of toolboxes?

Literally a metal box and they charge thousands.

I don't understand this meme makes no fucking sense.

>wench for shitty back up trailer from HF
Been working for over 5 years, even being out in the rain all the time
>magnetic bolt bowls
Perfect
>zip ties
Perfect
>jack stands
Perfect
>Rubber Hammer
Used for shop work for 4 years
>Screw Drivers
Work perfectly years later

It's generally cheap shit, but that's why you buy things that work even if cheap. And some stuff works just fine for the price.

>wahhhhhh I pay super low prices and want product as good as the most expensive stuff

Just use your common sense, OP. If it seems too good to be true, it'll probably maim you. If it's a simple tool then likely nothing will happen.

Check out the Trinity stainless box from Costco, they go for $400, nicest for the price IMO, I used one for a while as a second box, held up great, drawers are shallow though

If you're talking about snap on. They offer a SHIT LOAD on trade in when you want a new one. The warranty is insane on them. And they will replace broken shit no questions asked.

Also we use them all day every day at the shop. A SHITTY box (like one of our mechanics has) will have the doors open like shit when loaded with tools and used every day. The wheels suck. The whole cart is just cheap. Though not ALL snapon boxes (or similar) are amazing, they are very good for mechanics. My buddy has been using the same snap on box for 12 years (his roll around) and never had a door stick, wheel break, or a latch go bad. People can shit on them that don't do this for a living but a good box saves time and frustration.

>I just bought an air compressor from them too. Am I going to die?

the mid tier air compressor they have is actually one of the best items they sell.

>I got a Chevy Chevette car for Christmas a few years ago and I'm satisfied with it. Its a car and holds my ass how can you go wrong

>cornwell
the cornwell guy that comes to the powersports dealership i work at is the bomb. he'll undercut the strap-on guy any chance he gets and the cornwell tools are really good.

Almost anything from Cosco is god-tier.

Did Corwell ever start making a decent fine tooth ratchet though?

i use a chevette for dirt track and its great.

idk i use a strap-on for that lol. most of my pliers screwdrivers, picks, wrenches are cornwell though

My pliers are Mac (Knipex), picks are Snap-On, and my wrenches are a mishmash of Gearwrench, Blue-Point, Proto, and Craftsman.

knipex is fucking GOAT

I like my Cornwell fine tooth better than my Snap-On finetooth, 2bh.

Cornwell feels so damn smooth.

OK, cool. Last time I messed with anything Cornwell was about 6 or 7 years ago. They didn't even offer a fine tooth. 36 or something was the best they had at the time. I wa like, "Yeah, no."

I don't think I own even one single Cornwell tool now that I think about it. It's kinda weird.

Only 3 of those ratchets are good. The rest are outdated coarse tooth shit that is unironically worse than the 72 tooth Pittsburgh pro ratchets.

I bought a "rapid pump" floor jack and it is anything but "rapid" takes at least 6 full pumps to lift a car up high enough to get a jack stand under it. As soon as it has a car under it, it goes slow as fuck

Yeah Canadian tire does it all the time

My next big tool purchase is going to be a torch. They're just so fucking expensive for the amount of times a home gamer will use one in a year.

I mean, yes, I definitely could have used one like 4 or 5 times last year, but for the $350 for a shit HF set, that's a lot of money.

I've got a notification set up on CL for when they pop up, but at least around here, they never pop up. And on the off chance they do, their owners are fucking proud of them. :(

Everyone should have a nice set of torches. Buy your own big boy bottles, none of the HF shit.

Might be ok for a hobbyist but my us general roll cart only lasted a year in a professional environment.

>only one flex head
Nigga, you sure you work on cars?

>welding equipment
HF's welders and jacks/stands are the only decent things they sell that put up with constant use.

I have a flex in each size: 1/4, 3/8, and half. The half isn't shown, because it's not a Snap-on. As I pointed out in the text, it's a 2 foot long Powerbuilt that I rarely use.

HF welding wire is the fucking WORST. Total garbage.