AGDG - Amateur Game Development General

Stop being a bitch and post progress edition!

Play Comfy Jam: itch.io/jam/agdg-comfy-jam
Play Demo Day 12: itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12
Upcoming Demo Day 13: itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Old Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/KUSDs9vt
Old Jams: pastebin.com/8DFkkce3

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org | LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com | Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org | blender-models.com | mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse | incompetech.com/music | freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NRw339i17yw
youtube.com/watch?v=hBFH6a3Dcvg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

are anime furry games in style

Repostin' for the new bread.

What's the comfiest modern 3D map editor for indoor scenes?

I specify "modern" because obviously the answer would be any Doom wad editor otherwise

You left out half the OP. Fuck off.

Aggy, give me a very small scope idea and I'll make it over the weekend.

Not like Snake tier. Closer to Asteroids or Tetris. I've made all 3 of those, tho, so none of them.

help

UE4

It has exactly the same content though.

No I didn't. Learn to read.

Arkanoid

Tetroids, you play as a ship shooting Tetrominos that break into smaller ones.

>(the answer was "Blender" in the old thread)
Is it normal to produce a map as basically one huge mesh? Think of a map the size of a Thief 2 level... surely it's broken up? If it is, how? Room boundaries? How are you supposed to assign textures from an atlas?

Oh, boy, a new thread already. Let me leave my message here once again.

When was the last time you've taken a good rest, /agdg/? Just casually reading a book, watching a film, playing a board game with your friends? Remember to take care of your mental health. That game doesn't worth it if you burn out or have a mental break down in the process.

Take care! Have some rest on this fine weekend!

That is very good to hear, user! After some time Metroid already feels like going home, so I can only imagine how much of a good time you could have with all those extra mods! NES or SNES, by the way?

Fighting huge monsters and dangerous enemies will be even more dangerous now

I mentioned Super Metroid, so the SNES one of course.

kys nodev

Tower Bloxx

>teared

WELL FUCK ME

Damn, 1-bit colour. nice.

Oh shit! I love it when the OP shitposter is back and ruining the thread! Fuck progress, I'm just gonna participate in shitposting today!

relax buddy

youtube.com/watch?v=NRw339i17yw

more info on game?
buy a melodica

so whens the loli jam

i meant
more info on game?

Experimenting with faggy colors now.

Coolness, I think it's Torn muscle, not 100% sure as I'm not a native speaker though.

how about: shooting them rotates them so you could line them up and clear them out tetris style. they fall upwards or something. the shapes that if you don't clear up, they turn into enemies in the jumbled mess of shapes they were last in

Let me phrase it another way... when you use an editor for an old game like Quake or Half-Life or Thief, you build geometry by performing boolean logic with "brushes". You can assign textures to the resultant n-gons without having to explicitly unwrap anything. Then you press "compile" and it builds a result the game can use, defined in terms of triangles and UV coords and all the rest of it.

What I'm asking is what that output really looks like. Is it one huge mesh? Is it a few dozen meshes split up arbitrarily? Is it one mesh per texture/texture atlas? Does it include a per-triangle texture ID along with the UV coords so the game can use multiple textures/texture atlases in VRAM? I've tried to look this stuff up without much success.

How is it ruined?

does anyone know why Unity won't let my character get on the damn ground?

it spawns with an x of zero, but it keep defaulting to like 0.1 on top of whatever its standing on.

is it because im using physics.gravity?

youtube.com/watch?v=hBFH6a3Dcvg

Daily reminder there's not limited tool or instrument, only limited people.

any way is ok, basically the idea with huge meshes is to reduce the draw calls I think.

Read on how to optimize art for game engines, but I could be wrong.

if you're using unity look up some information regarding that.

But i think chunks is the standart approach regarding a 3D level.

do you remember GTA 3 or driver 2?

apart from ?

Well, I am concentrating on the combat part right now, but later on (and this will be far off in the future), the game will have a life sim/RPG side to it like Persona 3 or 4.

Your character is suffering from high-blood pressure, and have 1 in-game year left to live, at the end of which, you face the final boss.

I don't know how extensive I can make the life sim part. Maybe it'll end up as just some sort of digital board game on top, where things just happens in menus, or maybe I could make it elaborate enough that you explore a 3d world (unlikely though).

Since the idea is that you're a superhero, you need to live your normal life, but maintain a secret identity. I want it to have a romance sub-plot in the same vein of the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies, but I highly doubt I can pull it off.

why don't you use unity?

>x of zero
meant y of zero

here's a picture of what I mean

No unity... if I do a 3D game it will be with a custom engine.

>do you remember GTA 3 or driver 2?
Yes, but I didn't notice anything special or unusual about their rendering.

nevermind, apparently its some random setting called "skin width"

damn Unity

April 1st

holy shit dude quit being so butthurt about harmonicas not being able to do polyphony

You definitely want to break up the meshes.

Using huge meshes might reduce draw calls but it also means no LoD and no culling, which will heavily outweigh any performance benefit of fewer calls.
UE4 has a feature called hierarchical LoDs, which allow you to combine meshes into one big one when they are far away, but they become separate when you get closer. That seems like a clever idea.

I'm a programmer more than I'm anything else so if I do go ahead with a hobby 3D game, a lot of the fun for me will be in doing my own renderer.

Also, I have a unique style in mind that would be hard to achieve with typical renderers. I would be using a software rasterizer (already started on that part).

look up how psx games handle the level loading, at far distance.

go and play driver 2 and put attention when the level pops up.

chill bro.
we're just having fun.

I'll try to learn harmonica and it'll be great.

(Me)
Intended for

If you're using a software renderer then nothing you asked in really matters.

are u in college?
making a 3D engine is literally computer graphics.

>but I am self taugh
then you're not a programmer.

you're asking about shit they will teach you in college.

I'm making progress and nobody can stop me!

how much breaking up is too much breaking up?

if fpr example I have a modular level design and each level is roughly ~400 pieces of floors, walls, props, etc

It kind of does. I still need to render large textured meshes in a halfware efficient manner.

Self taught. I'm not writing it in the crazy awesome low-level ways classic software 3D was done. It will basically do brute force zbuffered projection and texture mapped rasterization. I'll be lucky if it even has basic lighting effects by the time I'm done, and it will certainly be very inefficient. I'm not 90s John Carmack, I'm under no illusions here.

(Me)
I inserted the word "zbuffered" in the wrong place here. Just mentioning that in case you think I don't know what zbuffering is, because you seem to be somewhat on the offensive user. There are plenty of hobby 3D engines out there.

>I still need to render large textured meshes in a halfware efficient manner.
Then use the GPU.

any one got tips on making my own programming language that i can make my own engine in

bro, I joined this year my local college to study software engineering, I'm lucky is software engineering with a focus on computer graphics.

Half my degree is basically math, and I got BTFO just starting to study calculus.

Try to get into a college, it will teach you shit you don't think is usefull but all the math you can learn in college will make you better than most indies, if not all.

If you're american, a programmer degree is not a waste of time, very easy to find a 80k job.

Being self taugh will hurt you in the end.
Also, you will meet chicks in college.

I was like you until I decided to go to college to study CS, plus I could get the drawing and music classes.

ths is an amature thread

Well I mean don't go mad and have every floorboard be a different piece, but as long as things are culled properly the total amount shouldn't matter too much.

well first you have to make your own writing system with letters and numerals in order to write your programming language in

This is really fucking cute, nice work user.

I'm the guy who asked about which map editor is the comfiest originally and I'm worried that people are a little confused about who is me.

Taking a look at UE4.

college is the place to improve bro.

Not him, but I'm 27 with a game dev degree and here I am.

My personal run-down
>Source
Comfy BSP editor, trash everything else
>Unity
Fine for making video games, the editor is not particularly good if you want to make levels for the enjoyment of it
>Cryengine
I enjoyed my time with it, better tools than Unity but the instability and restrictive asset workflow reduced my comfort
>UE4
By far my favourite

1. I don't wanna. More fun to write software 3D, even it it's stupid and slow.
2. Regardless of whether I use hardware or software rast, I still need to decide how to generate/split/store level mesh info.

Thank you for the life advice user. I do understand that a formal CS education has advantages. In fact, I recently came across a Quora post called something like "Which skills do self-taught programmers commonly lack?". I looked over the answers and ordered a couple of books as a result.

I currently support myself with freelance work writing business logic webapps and I don't really want to juggle that with higher education.

>game dev degree
I'm sorry about that.

did you learn good math in your glorified unity degree?

If you're in America you can't just casually go to college to improve your indie gamedev hobby. You'd go $40k into debt to just like make game.

I mean, not that getting a Computer Science degree is a BAD decision - far from it...

that would require my own operating system

I was art-focused, so not at all.

>Regardless of whether I use hardware or software rast, I still need to decide how to generate/split/store level mesh info.
If there's no multitexturing the most efficient way is to probably split by texture.

If you're american, you should check what classes do harvard or MIT teaches to their CS people.
then use that information to self study all the classes.

look up the "MIT 1 year CS challenge"

just try to be honest and do the math.

>art focused
so you got scammed?

try to get a CS degree bro, or self teach yourself the math shit and shit like computer graphics, compilers, OS and networking.

well i fucked up i don't think i will complete my shitty beat'em up,i should've known better and starting with art like last project

You seem to be conflating your goals here.

Writing your own language is pretty cool.

Writing your own game engine is pretty cool.

Don't try to do both things at once. When it comes time to debug you will have no idea whether the bugs are coming from your engine code or your actual programming language's code generation / standard library / runtime.

so i should focus on making the os first

Any progress to post on it, user? I am genuinely curious to see it if you do not mind.

i guess i discovered why my game was running like shit

716 rigidbodies in one scene

managed to down it to 140 and i got 40fps constant

Added the territory overlay, which draws lines along the borders between tiles of different owners.
I first experimented with tinted tiles for this overlay, but that looked bad and was confusing regarding player colors and terrain colors, e.g. one couldn't be sure if a water tile belonged to the blue player.

Hemoroids

you fly circles around a swollen asshole shooting preparation H at the red areas while avoiding hostile dingle berries

But why are you using triangles when it's flat shaded and a robot? Makes little sense.

Are you making a /gsg/?

Has anyone managed to go from being extremely lazy with no motivation to working on your game as much as you can? I can work on my game for 1 week at a time then i'm done and i have to wait months before i get my motivation back.

>so you got scammed?
I wouldn't say that, not entirely at least. My drawing skills improved a lot while I was there.

>try to get a CS degree bro
Just as soon as I wipe away the $20k debt.

I usually work in every single possible moment on my game until I hit the can-not-art or can-not-design-levels wall, go numb for a few weeks or months then start over, leaving a trail of prototypes behind me. At least I'm happy on the way.

I like the dashed lines, looks good.

I guess one could say that. I'm trying to keep the scope small though. I want to focus on economy and logistics aspects, with little to no regard for diplomacy. The player is tasked with creating transport routes to move goods and resources from sources to factories and ultimately a warfront that's bound to exist somewhere.

>Any progress to post on it
last webm i got of my "progress"

Thanks. Although I might want to keep open the option of doing lightmaps since my dynamic lighting is unlikely to be too hot.

That doesn't preclude lightmaps since everything is going to share a single lightmap texture. One set of UVs for texture, another for light.

can I have fries with that

Just downloaded unity and did a tutorial. Am I a devfag yet?
When do I get to create a Patreon and rake in cash?

>When do I get to create a Patreon and rake in cash?
after you add the transfurries

I want a comfy farmtown creator. I don't need disasters, combat etc, just comfy gameplay.

How do I go about making this?

That's just how the default renderer in Blender is showing it, it looks flat in Unity.

Thinking about how to make the characters pop up on the screen now, making them float from the left doesn't sound right.

>20k degree
>all that you gained from it is a little increase in drawing skills
so basically yes, you got scammed

I got a fine arts degree and I learned a hell of a lot more stuff, including how to draw and how to apply methods to game design, for about 8k

Just download FarmTown Creator 2016 and it will take care of everything for you.

Where's your art?

wait are you the same guy who had the funky robot?

What the hell should I add next

>mad

if you didn't seriously improve your skills at 3D modelling, UV mapping, texturing, animation, and game design, and all you got from you 20k video game degree was "improved my skills at drawing" you got scammed. face it.

It can still be something really good though. If you really are going to dump it do you have any idea what you might be moving on to?

Where is your art?

Where is your game?

it looks like sengoku rance
so rape

trying out 3dcoat for a diffuse-only look, pretty cool software so far

for a moment i thought i was in /ic/, what a faggot.

translation:
>I'm mad and can't defend myself

But the shitty stick art already has that