Just bought a house. Would Ryobi be a good brand to invest in for home stuff...

Just bought a house. Would Ryobi be a good brand to invest in for home stuff? They have a drill/driver combo with a third battery promo going on at the moment. I would eventually need a sander, saw, trimmer etc.. and the lineup looks cheap to get into.
Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-b7ORqBtHVM
homedepot.ca/en/home/p.18v-lithium-ion-drilldriver--impact-driver-kit.1000751342.html
canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/0543196P.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've got ryobi one+ gear and for home shit it's perfect. Don't listen to the autistic cunts on here that think you need $10,000 worth of tools to fuck around at home.

Ryobi a best

If you like cheap stuff.
Get it if you dont have any or are gonna use it for light use once a month jobs other wise spend the extra 1/2 bones and get something beefier

Ryobi is ok for light duty use it once in a while stuff... Makita, DeWalt, and Milwaukee will be more sturdy... Buy an extension cord and real tools for anything other than drill and driver.

Also an addendum to what says isn't incorrect I also own ryobi, you don't need 10,000 worth of tools just keep in mind you do get what you pay for the most part (snap-on not excluded)

This

My Ryobi tools work great for me

Ryobi is fine, especially for homeowner stuff. Fact is most of these brands are owned by the same company, so while Ryobi is made a bit cheaper than I think it's Milwaukee it's made by the same company in the same factories and shares many components.

Personally I like Milwaukee because they have a lineup of readily available stuff and that lineup is pretty expansive. The batteries are the real killer and bare tools are all pretty cheap so just pick the lineup that has what you want and buy a combo kit with some nice big batteries and a charger, then you can expand as needed. Ryobi for example doesn't make an impact wrench big enough to pull lugnuts, so if that's something you might want it's better to get a lineup that includes that. It'll be cheaper in the end and you won't have ten batteries to deal with.

I'd stay away from Ridgid as I have heard they are a pain in the dick on warranty stuff. But generally you can just figure out what tools you want, see which brands sell all those tools with the same battery, and pick the color that matches your eyes.

>Ryobi for example doesn't make an impact wrench big enough to pull lugnuts

Fucking what cunt? I use mine all the time on all different cars and it's never had an issue taking them off.

Rigid sucks duck. Their in-battery drill could not hold a charge after 6 months and it had low torque.

It would be for exactly light and medium usage. Not DD or for work.
Thanks for the input. I do have a corded impact wrench already but it's hefty. I wouldn't mind the battery impact to quickly get off some bolts but lug nuts I don't expect from it.

Well my reasoning for going ryobi is the cheap lineup that again will be used for the odd house project.

this

everyone else would probably insist you need to spend $4000 for Snap-on tools to change your oil

>Well my reasoning for going ryobi is the cheap lineup that again will be used for the odd house project.

Seriously you won't be disappointed. Ryobi stuff is really great for the price.

And the line is constantly getting updated.

Plus:

>working at height
>drop cheap ryobi drill onto concrete
>it breaks
>buy new cheap ryobi drill

>working at height
>drop expensive [fancy brand] drill from height
>it breaks
>fork out for another expensive [fancy brand] drill

Just because they're expensive doesn't mean they're bulletproof. There's a higher chance they'll survive a drop but ryobi stuff seems pretty solid.

Huh, last I checked they just had a little dinky one rated at "300" ft lbs or something. As we all know lugs that sit through a salty winter take waaaay more torque to come off than they do going on. So when spring rolls around those lugs on your wife's SUV that got torqued on at 120 ft lbs before they got all crusty with salt are gonna take a bit more. Sure you could do it with a breaker bar but then what's the point of the shiny tool you told her you needed for exactly this job? You gotta get one of them big bad mama jamas so everyone else knows how big your dick is. Pic related.

Anyway it was just an example. If the Ryobi impact works for you, by all means buy Ryobi. Color's a bit fuckin weird but at least you won't lose it in the snow. And if that tool you decide you gotta have is the electric hedge trimmer and only Bosch makes it, then go for Bosch. If it's that sweet yellow cordless grinder that's all the rage, go for the yellow team. If all you really want is a drill/driver and 1/4" impact driver then don't worry about it and get the one you like. I'm just saying don't buy, say, a Panasonic drill because it's on sale and then find out they don't make a portable band saw and you shoulda gone with a different color.

My dad uses Ryobi for pretty much everything from his handhelds up to table saws and the like. They get the job done when they're needed, which is about what we expect of them.

>living in the snow

LMAO enjoy your third world country

You want Porter Cable. That shit is bulletproof and will get any job done you need

My dad buys their shit. First it was for professional use. Then he started focusing on just the business side and not doing physical work and we only used them at home. Haven't had one last more then 2 years. They are really shit. Makita is absolutely awesome. Dewalt is pretty great as well. I'm currently trying a Milwakee and its been ok so far.

I have mostly DeWalt stuff, or whatever I picked up at Home Depot the day I needed it. I think the only Ryobi thing I have is my garage door opener.

>I would eventually need a sander, saw, trimmer etc
>eventually
What do you need right now? Do you have remodeling to do, or are you just trying to be prepared? I gutted my current home, it was a foreclosure and needed pretty much everything. There really aren't that many power tools you need to be honest, and the one-off stuff you can rent easier. You're better off picking up the other basics if you don't have them yet, like a putty knife and pipe cutter.

If you don't live where there's snow what do you need the hi-viz jackets on the Ryobi for?

better off using one of these

The deck needs work but inside is fine for now. Just projects in sight. Maybe you're right about one off situations for tools, I see the lineup and know I'll need this and that eventually but not for more than a project. The tools that will be in rotation will be the drill,weed whacker,driver and sander.

>weed whacker
I went with EGO for my trimmer and blower, both work great. I think they're a bit more powerful than any of the Ryobi offerings. And any of the trimmers that use the same battery as your drill are going to be really weak.

>I see the lineup and know I'll need this and that eventually but not for more than a project
Pick stuff up as you need it, rather than getting it all at once (unless there's a big sale or something). I haven't used half the things I thought I would when I started out, and it's easy to grab something I don't have when I go buy whatever else I need for a project. Cordless drill is definitely worth having though, and lots of bits.

dude I still lose that shit in my garage.

Ryobi is Might Car Mods approved

>not using a gasoline powered impact gun

Hmm well I wasn't going to get it all at once but overtime over the next year I'd say. Interesting point that things like the leafblower, weed whacker and trimmer would be underpowered with the battery system. I wanted to look into ryobi cause the lineup would be cheap but it seems it may be just as cheap to just buy the corded version of things (or guzzoline) as needs arise.

I'm looking at drills and some state (ryobi) 24 speed while more expensive brands may go to 16. I get the need for variable speeds, I've used them, but does the higher number mean the drill is really any better or just marketing?

Their smaller li battery packs tend to die. The larger ones are fine. I use for house stuff, including building a 300sq foot addition, all weekend long and the do fine.

I don't know about their impact drivers as I use hand tools for cars.

> leaf blower
Buy a broom and a rake

> weed whacker
Get a edge trimmer for the edges, if your really anal about things you can't get with it get a stanly knife

> trimmer
Get a good pair of shares, look in junk shops and the such for proper wooden handled ones

Power tools are a waste nine times out of ten, you can do a better, cheaper job in a comparable amount of time

Haha is this a new type of memeposting. I like it

He is right though if you have less than a half an acre or so.

BILTEMA

gold standard of Scandinavia

youtube.com/watch?v=-b7ORqBtHVM

Dude, watch some AVE on tool stuff, it'S fucking hilaious

I'd agree with all of that minus the blower, they save a ridiculous amount of time, especially if your property has a ton of trees.

for home handyman any big name brand will do
ryobi is fine, just dont buy anything cheaper

This. And Deuzer

I would've thought most third world countries are close to the equator

To be fair I've dropped dewalts while roofing and had them work just fine.

I'd spend the money. It's worth it.

Ryobi has been getting good reviews on their stuff, and having used some of their tools in the One+ series I gotta say that I am impressed, especially by the versatility of the battery

Getting my very own battery driven Ryobi impact in the mail on Friday

The combo I'm looking at has a different impact.
homedepot.ca/en/home/p.18v-lithium-ion-drilldriver--impact-driver-kit.1000751342.html

So is the ryobi cordless line worth it? Or should I get (link) for 179 and get some Assorted corded trimmer, hand sander, etc..

canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/0543196P.html

> last I checked they just had a little dinky one rated at "300" ft lbs or something
The ryobi is rated at 1600 lbs/ft max torque. I remove lugnuts all the time with mine as well. Where the fuck have you been.

I use their impact, drill, circular saw, sawzall, drill, and weed eater. It's fucking great and they all use the same battery.

>1600
>lbs/ft

I didn't know impacts were rated for linear density. For real though 1600 ft lbs would be a nice big number for a 3/4" air impact. Are you sure you don't mean inch lbs?

Makita or don't bother

>Ryobi 18V impact
>1600 ft. lbs

Makita is cheap shit made for interior fitters tho Lmao

I have a Ryobi 18+ drill, impact driver, and impact wrench. The drill and driver are awesome. The impact wrench is a complete piece of shit and a total waste of money. Worst $100 I ever spent on a tool.

I'm going to sell the Ryobi on eBay, because I found an 18V Snap-on impact wrench that I scored for $177 shipped with two batteries and a charger.

The Snappy was used, but it came out to be the same price as a shit-tier Ryobi when you count batteries and charger.

Don't waste your money on that Ryobi impact wrench, but go for it on the impact driver/drill kit. Homeless Despot has that set for $99. Great value for money.

What the fuck does this have to do with cars?

go post in /diy/ or something

ok BnD drone

What are your thoughts on the financial crisis in Puerto Rico?

What's Puerto Rico?

This dude gets it

step it up pussies

>woodworking
Literally babby tier.

Also why so many duplicate tools?

Ryobi is fine, but I get my shit at a discount so its not as if I was looking for a particular brand tool to buy.

Becuase he owns Dewalt.

You mean 1600 in/lbs, numb nuts.

because i can :^)

I work for the company that makes Ridgid/Ryobi.

Protip: if you know how serial numbers work you can call them and lie and get free batteries for life.

Just learn what to say over the phone.

Honestly bud, get 2 stroke gardening equipment. Second hand Stihl or Husqvarna is cheap and 10x better than cordless crap.

buy used

Dewilt Is better. Ryobi is TTI shit.

OP here.
Went to HD to try the Ryobi ($159) and Canadian tire for the Maximum 20v offer ($179). I'm going to get the Maximum combo and then the Ryobi trimmer/edger w/battery. I'll have access to the cheap lineup with that battery and have the convenience of the cordless trimmer which is nice for the small front and backyard.

The reason I'm not going all out ryobi with the drill/driver is cause I realized how huge that drill which I know will be a PITA to use for just small house stuff. A drill like that is what we needed when we finished the basement - wouldn't want to use it for anything else. There are pros and cons to both combo's but that one stood out for my needs and I wanna avoid a blogpost.

Thanks for your input guys and letting me know that Ryobi is worth it for cheap house stuff. I wanted to avoid going with a brand that would be overkill for my needs.

/blog

In Anderson?

>The reason I'm not going all out ryobi with the drill/driver is cause I realized how huge that drill which I know will be a PITA to use for just small house stuff. A drill like that is what we needed when we finished the basement - wouldn't want to use it for anything else

literally what? are you a 12 year old girl? The drill is literally drill sized.

literally

lol

>TTI is shit
Milwaukee is TTI.

Just sayin'

>all drills are the same size
OP you made this a bit convoluted on yourself but atleast you made a choice. Corded trimmers aren't bad for a small yard but corded mowers are always a horrible experience.

>all drills are the same size

I was more >implying that a ryobi drill is literally a standard size drill. 90% of 'regular' drills are that size.

Was he looking at some corded fucking masonry hammer drill or something and thought that was the ryobi one+ one?

If i'm lookingt at the right thing it is 11.02 long according to the link. "Normal" drills are usually ~9" iirc.

Ryobi owner here. Battery lasts INSANELY long. Like insane. It's pretty damn good. I have two of them, never had an issue. They have done everything I needed. Great drills for the home, just get good bits. Like GOOD ones.

festool or kys

Hilti or kys

fuck underlined wrong one on left but it's still bigger than the ryobi... but they're both drill sized which leads back to the question, are you a 12 year old girl?

They're not 'big' drills by any stretch of the imagination

Contractor here.

Ryobi One+ are fine tools when it comes to drills. A lot of sub contractors and co-workers use them. Under heavy use, they only last about a year, but for a home owner they'll hold out for quite awhile.

Just try to get the silver li-ion batteries instead of the black Li-ion ones.

Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee will be better tools, but you'll hardly use them enough to justify their extra durability.

Only thing I don't like about Ryobi's are the safety switches on most of their saw's. They'll be good for you if you're unfamiliar with using them and only do so casually and in ideal conditions, but if you're doing a lot of reaching and cutting from awkward angles standing 12ft in the air it can become a pain in the ass having to depress the safety switch.

I would recommend going corded for saws and stuff like that if you can. Battery tools are really only good for when you don't have a power outlet around on a job site. If you're in your garage, there's no excuse. A corded tool will be better and likely last longer.

Shut up you fuckin niggers he's not Bob Vila. He's some domestic cuck who doesn't even own a power drill, you think he needs pro-grade tools? He's going to be falling off ladders and building crooked planter boxes for his fat wife.

>Not buying Black and Decker

If you want smaller tools consider 12v instead of 18v. I love my 12v compact stuff, jobs like hanging cabinets are so much easier with a light little tool that you can reach in and hold at weird angles. The drill has plenty of power if you're not doing anything with big spade bits or whatever and you can live with the 3/8 chuck. Milwaukee makes one with a 1/2 chuck but I'd hesitate to use a bit that big with it. The impacts have plenty of torque.

To continue my Milwaukee shilling they have a "subcompact" 18v line, you can still use the 18v batteries and the whole lineup, slap the bigass batteries on them, etc. Nice tools, I've tried them, but they come with the 1.5 ah batteries that don't last very long and when you put the big battery on you lose a lot of benefit from the size.

If I was only going to have one drill/drive and impact combo I'd go for a full size 18v because you can do more, but if you're concerned about the size of weight of the tool for how you intend to use it the 12v tools really can do quite a lot. I use the shit out of my little Bosch 12v tools in the shop a lot, taking say screws out of a 1972 Honda CB750 crankcase is so much better with a little impact like that than using an old school impact and a hammer. The little drill is more than enough for drilling out busted screws etc too. I have a couple of 4.0 aH batteries and they last for fuckin ever, and will drive 3" deck screws all day long. What they won't do: drill big holes, the drill I have doesn't have the hammer function and the one that does probably sucks (though all hammer drills are a gimmick to be honest, just get/rent a rotary hammer if you need to drill stone or concrete), the little impact struggles with very big screws in hard materials because of torque.

But as many have mentioned, you can waste a lot of money buying too much tool. Up to you.

>mfw I worked at a hardware store when I was in high school
>I would sell power tools to stupid blue collar idiots all day long
>HURF DURF MUH DEEEWALT DA BEST
>FUK DAT BLACK N DECKER SHEEEEET

>they're made by the same company
>and pull 90% of their stuff from the same parts bins
>the replacement parts don't even have different order numbers

I build outdoor furniture as a small business to get myself through school, and all of my tools are ryobi. I'll tell you, theyre tough as nails, and they'll last if you take care of them

I'm not OP and that isn't the drill from the link. What's circled is what I saw and figure is the length of the drill OP complained about.

I have an old B&D fierstorm drill that works pretty good but the battery is almost ded... Walmart was selling shitty drills with two batteries that looked the same... They work but are half the capacity... I should probably just have bought a new drill...

>buy Makita drill
>never have to buy another drill again

DeWalt is Black and Decker painted yellow. If you bother to read the fucking box, they clearly state it. How do people not know this?

>Hilti
mah nigga.

This hot blonde hilti rep stopped by our jobsite today to chat up the carpenters.

LMAO just went on >plebbit and there was a link to this on the front page

Because marketing makes them retards. It's why they pay twice as much for an Acura or a Lexus when it's a rebadged Civic or Corolla.

Granted, powerplants are sometimes different - but 90% of it is the same and you're paying mainly for the "prestige".

>Milwaukee made by a Chinese tech conglomerate
>B&D owned by same company that makes DeWalt, Stanley, Weiser Lock, and about 15 billion other shelf brands
>Bosch owns Skil and markets the latter as their handyman variety
>Ryobi is a weird handyman variety developed by a jack-of-all-trades company that doesn't really do any single thing very well

>enter Makita: God's choice for when his brown neighbour's fat son knocks over the fence

>brown neighbour's fat son

wow 3 examples of hate speech in 4 words.

Bosch sold skil last year

I deal with idiotic brown people all day, and I assume most of them are fat.

I've earned my right to be a racist fat-shamer.

And I only count two.

Fuck off faggot...grow a pair...

Just googled it - they sold it to some chinks.

Wew. Kinda sad, really. A lot of those companies started with pretty innovative beginnings.

Now they're just some brand to be hocked by greasy chinks.

>muhhh safe spazeee!

It was a joke. Give your balls a tug you tit fucker.

You forgot assuming gender. disgusting. you don't even know how hurtful your hate speech is

You're right - it might have been God's brown neighbour's fatass wife who broke the fence.

There are a lot of differences. The penny pinching is what kills B&D tools for me. Powder metal parts where the DeWalt's is machined, smaller shittier bearings, lower quality plastics without any glass reinforcing, shittier switches and crustier electronics. The B&D batteries don't have temperature sensors on them and as such are more prone to overheating and failing. Heatsinks are smaller. The motors etc may be the same but most things are just a little bit worse. It's a shame, the B&D brand used to be worth something.

Same thing is happening to Milwaukee and DeWalt, Craftsman in hand tools. (Craftsman power tools have been bad for a long time, in fact the only ones I like are the Baldor-made bench grinders and maybe a few others.) Already happened to Porter Cable.

There's a lot of parts interchangeability but they are made cheaply, to fail after less use so Johnny Homeowner needs to buy a new one. The prosumer grade stuff (yellow, red, etc) tools are too but they're more expensive and made to last quite a bit longer. If you want something that's not designed to fail then be ready to spend pro buxx on probably something made in Germany.