A R M C H A I R O F F R O A D I N G
Trying to climb a hill in your front wheel drive Land Rover
Tayposter
Suburban General
Shitposting General

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ticonderoga_(CG-47)[/spoiler]
youtube.com/watch?v=oYjwG4sFyhM
kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/granby/toyota-land-cruiser-fj-40/1247814690?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for kill yourself

Are the Renegade Tarilhawks fairly Capable? I'm not looking to climb mountains with it, but some moderate off-roading would probably be done a few times a year, but it needs to be a decent daily driver as well and I like it quite a bit on pavement.

Also, I've heard a mixed bag on general Reliability, some people have had zero issues, others have been a catastrophe. Almost every horror story has been about a 2015 though so I was thinking Teething issues. Thoughts?

>ITT
>pictures that fill you with incredibly joy

Isn't Oz different due to the lack of Fog on a lot of the offroad tracks or is that California I'm thinking of?

There's plenty of fog around on dry winter days from East to West southern coast, but not as often in other parts of the world. You're right in the presumption most vehicles here would benefit more from driving/spot lights than fog lights.

Old thread isn't even at the bump limit yet.

Is that an aftermarket diesel swap with custom factory parts from a Chevy truck and F250?

why is there a 6.5 td in a toyota

No F250 parts, but plenty of GM truck parts ;)

Because, no replacement for displacement.

>Landcruiser and GM
Bad combo, how about some palette cleanser - Jeep and Ferrari

Just when you thought "surely there isn't more than one Ferrari V12 powered 70s Wagoneer"

>no replacement for displacement.
But that's a 6.2.

That one's a 6.5... Unless the owner got duped
Either way, it's a bag load more grunt than the original 2H/1HZ would've offered.

That's an older 6.2 intake and looks like V belt accessory drive. There's several different NA 6.5 intakes that are similar. Wouldn't make much sense to swap all the early 6.2 stuff onto a 6.5.

Please for the love of christ don't buy that abomination.

I'd wager it has something to do with making the conversion easier to adapt to whatever Toyota/Nissan it's being fitted to. Mind you, the company that performs the majority of these conversions in Ausfaglia, "Brunswick Diesels", has a history of being rip off merchants (eg; pulling the sump, fitting new main amen big end bearings and selling as a "full rebuilt" exchange motor).

But why though?

Ah that's what I thought. Driving > Fogs for your porpoises. Gotcha.

Fog lights are almost crucial in Onterrible and the North East Murican states.

BRITISH
RACING
GREEN
Fuck I love that colour so much. This small eyed pepe brings joy to my life.

It's even better because if it was one shade darker, it'd look like horrible Australia Plain Packaging colours and if it was lighter, it'd look like a digusting olive colour. But BRG is just spot on. Love it. That and lime green - just not on cars, hehe

Transmission, gearing, lockers...
Normally true but not when offroading, senpai (;

Nah the early NA 6.5 intakes are the same thing but slightly lower profile.
The later ones are similar but offset the runners to bring them closer to equal length.
Literally no reason to use the older intake.

Gearing/transmission isn't a replacement for a large diesel torque curve.
By the time you gear the small gasser low enough to compete with the diesel's torque you've got a top speed of 25.

Lockers don't help if you lack the power to turn the wheels when all four are biting.

Do you have to have a large displacement engine in order to maximise torque curve? Couldn't you simply retune it so to increase power at your tyres rather than having an output maximisation at your engine? But more at the top speed of like 100km/h or something.

This is literally what all the medium and heavy logistics military vehicles do in order to keep displacement low but have insane towing capacity and torque at the wheel.

We're talking small displacement gasser vs large displacement diesel
No you can not "tune" a small displacement rev happy gasser to make torque at the tires rather than the engine.

All gearing does is exhange torque for speed, with some torque loss due to friction and mass.

This is not at all what the heavy logistics military vehicles do. Most of them have large displacement diesels and top out at fairly low speeds.

The ones that seem to have an oddly low displacement diesel for their size are likely running 2 stroke detroit diesels which don't rev for shit and don't make shit for HP but make torque comparable to engines twice their size.

>Transmission, gearing, lockers...
Normally true but not when offroading, senpai (;
The other guy beat me to it, these aren't really a replacement at all, but advantage in completely different ways. In terms of "displacement replacement" in the examples of Landcruisers and Patrols, it's often easier and more effective to simply turbocharger the diesel six that came in them. But then there's the obvious advantage of having a dead simple mechanical N/A diesel, and if such a GM diesel can be bought cheap enough it, it's often better value replacing a factory diesel six that needs a rebuild.
This is more for the purpose of towing or overlanding loaded to the hilt than outright 4x4 capability.

Last time I checked the classifieds the very occasional 6.5 that comes on the market is better value than what ever factory turbo 1HD Toyota that may pop up.

Oh yeah - you're right. Sorry.

I'm incredibly drunk right now and got confusing horsepower with displacement. Yeah they go on heavy, multi-fuel engines. I was trying to rationalise the transmission's role at the wheel and ended up confusing myself.

Are there any NA TayYoda diesel engines that come on the market? What was wrong with the older 6.2 predecessors? And weren't all 6.5s turbo-ed in order to try and match up to the power of the Cummins?

Plenty of Toyota 1HZs and Nissan TD42s (both non turbo) come on the market for various reasons, but for a good running moderate mileage (about 250k km) 1HZ is typically around $3000. Non turbo 6.2 and 6.5 in similar condition usually change hands for no more than $5000. When adapter kits are readily available, it starts making sense.

please don't encourage neo-chrystler, those fucking morons make bad enough decisions on their own.

If I'm lifting the rear of my truck with an add-a-leaf set, will a shackle flip + longer shackles also add to the lift or do they just allow for more droop?

>probably should have posted in the stupid questions general

Nigga how high do you want your back end? An AAL plus a shackle flip would work, but it'd be bouncy as hell and you wouldn't get much more than 1 or 2 inches of travel out of it

Mostly it'll just raise your back end towards the heavens

I'm only looking for about 2 inches of lift but I want more articulation in the rear. But I suppose that means I'd also need extended travel shocks to allow for the added drop and my 5100s wouldn't cut it.

Go with just the shackle flip/extended shackles for now, and see if that's what you want. An extra leaf is mostly to compensate for extra weight over your back-end, even if it does provide a bit of extra travel.

I wouldn't know much about the shackle flip since mine aren't inverted from the factory, but I know the Billies have a decent amount of travel since I'm also running 5100s

Was thinking of that too but I figured the AAL is easier to remove if I don't like it. The shackle flip is more or less permanent on my truck or at least a shitload more work to revert back.

Argh.. So much research to do

Yeah I getcha

What trug?

First gen tundra.

The lack of aftermarket support is such a kick in the nuts but there are some really cool builds that have popped up over the last few years. Just need to work a bit harder for them it seems.

Ah okay cool

First gen Tacoma, so I kinda know what you're getting at. For me, at least, the market is mostly for later generations, so I only have a couple of options whenever I want to upgrade or replace something

1987 Suzuki Samurai Special Edition with no engine. Hood is bent out of shape, seats are ripped, and the floor board has very minor rust in one area.

Worth $1000? It is cosmetically good and the tires all look in good shape. Includes soft top. I want to swap an engine and just have a project to wrench on this summer.

seems high for a vehicle with no engine

Somebody give me reasons why I should own a pickup truck AND an overlanding SUV. It seems like it would be just a huge waste of gas and generally a horrible thing to keep around.

U anywhere near SE kansas? I need the tranfer case for a volkswagon powered 4x4 mower.

N-not trolling.

#redneckaf

>need
>ever
cuck

Owning two vehicles is no worse on gas than owning just the one that's the worst of the two.

Why own both an SUV and a Truck if they do the exact same thing?

SUV requires a trailer for an open bed, but offers lockable climate controlled cargo storage.

Any reason the pickup can't be used for overlanding? With a bedcap you have a much more accommodating cargo area and load capacity for supplies to last longer outside of civilisation. With false floor and draw setups you can pack for an awful lot of options...
Otherwise, nah. I have two similar branded SUVs, one for work, beach and bush bashing, the other as the family taxi and long distance overlander. I really wish my work pig was at least a crew cab pickup though, as I often find the SUV cargo compartment a shortcoming.

>truck has more cargo area for supplies
Dude. A G-Wagon or Defender with a roof rack holds much more with the only sacrifice being that it can't tow as much as normal picc'em up truccs.

tl,dr; there's nothing wrong with owning an SUV and a pickup if they fulfil their own criteria, at least in my opinion.

Hey guys, I picked up an 02 Frontier with 4x4 and 135k miles on it back in October and over time put on 31 inch General Grabber AT2 tires and did a 1.5 inch lift by adjusting the torsion bar.. Will it be good enough to go off road like that or will I need to do suspension work? I've taken it through a few small "runs" of mud when fishing, but that's about it cause I live in Chicago and I'm waiting till the weather gets better to go to some park. Also does anyone know of any trails close to Chicago?

The G-Class and Defender wagon still has nothing on the cargo space of their cab-chassis pickup equivalents.

>SUV cargo space
>shortcoming
You've got the wrong SUV is all.
Buy a Suburban and a roof basket.

What about Land Cruisers?

Kek, on that same token an equivalent 1/2 or 3/4 ton Silverado is better again...
Heaps of room. If this is Tayngerfag

...there's always a crew cab chop if space is an issue anyway :P

Goatherder reporting in. Saw this bad mammajamma out on the asphalt today. Not /org/ mind you, but in my daydreaming brain it was carrying supplies up the mountain to the miners, going over or through every obstacle.

just buy a samurai you dumb faggot
you can get one in decent condition for like $2k you retarded poorfag
they have huge aftermarket support so you can mod it from there kys i hate you

In the Midwest they seem to sell for 2000 on the absolute lowest in rough condition and 4000+ for nice looking ones.

The vehicle is a Samurai.

hes just memeing my dude

>>>>>>>>living in the midwest
why
seriously why?
i've lived in the midwest my whole life and even though im only 19 i couldnt image being able to move out west and NOT doing it wtf

Just replaced my blown OEM shocks on my ranger with new Fox shocks and HNNNNNNNG the difference is night and day. If any ranger bros who want to spend 500 dollars on new shocks, I highly recommend. Can't wait to drive some fire roads.

if there are*

pardon my autism

Ooh. Got a contract delay. That means I leave at the same time from the city but get to overland for two days!

Not me but I'm getting the LX almost for sure now. Not sure if I should get a new bumper or not as whale but I probably will since i'm going to join that Land Cruiser circlejerk soon

>inb4 I buy a suburban as whale
Hell if it wasn't for the insurance increases innacity, I'd buy a jeep TJ too

>he actually has money
>he actually offroads
what the fuck are you doing on /ORG/

Don't be drawn to the dark side by illusions of exceptional reliability, capability, and rustproofing.

Join the Suburban Order.

nice! shocks make an enormous difference in ride quality its crazy

>I'm getting the LX almost for sure now.
>mfw you are finally joining the masterrace with me

>masterrace
>hillary
This says everything that needs to be said about the yoda fags.

>inb4 you preferred bernie

>yfw i voted for the don

Lies and slander. Classic Hillary supporter.

>mfw i voted for 'muh jobs' the president but purchased a truck made by nips

You have become the very thing you swore to destroy.

what have i done

>not buying a Suburban built in Wisconsin

It's like you hate America or something.

can we not do this again pls

>putting hot dogs next to uncooked meat

It's all going on the grill buddy.

They're touching bacon, and they haven't been grilled yet. It's Gucci mang

>not wrapping your hot dogs in bacon before grilling them

It's like you hate America or something

>criticizing the meatlord

You trigger my autism

So. Someone is going to look at his Lexus tomorrow and I'll get the news overlanding whether someone accepts his offer closer to the asking price than me.

If he does, it goes to him. If not, I own the Lexus Land Battleship

So tomorrow you find out if you get the Lexus or become Tayburb?

Beat me to it.
Fingers crossed for Burb

Honestly a burb would fit the land battleship name better for a multitude of reasons.

Tay-conderoga?

For those whomst don't get the reference:
[spoiler]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ticonderoga_(CG-47)[/spoiler]

Part of me wants to buy it purely to make people mad, is that a bad reason?

Put seriously, other than some reliability issues cropping up, what is wrong with it?

Definitely. I can see the advantage of having an overlander long enough to land a small commercial airliner on. Especially with some Ford parts swapped in :')

>trying to climb a hill in your front wheel drive Fiat
Next OP

No you're thinking of a land aircraft carrier. That would be a single cab flatbed.

Kek, good call

>i voted centipede
>haha! you support a lie and slander - clearly you support shkillitoris!
>nah i just like nip cars
that's enough /pol/ for me today.

Did you know the USS Ranger was one of the first aircraft carriers?

Anyway, I think the USS Airship Carriers are all Fords now. So umm. Like. GMC BTFO.

> implying
youtube.com/watch?v=oYjwG4sFyhM

il y a un FJ40 en Quebec
kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/granby/toyota-land-cruiser-fj-40/1247814690?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$6500 for an FJ40 in otay condition 550km away from me. road trip down to get it instead?????????????????????????????

Gerald Ford. Not Henry Ford, you fucking autist /k/ommando

He he he. Ticonderoga
That's better than fucking land battleswift.

>parking on arbitrary obstacles in your front wheel drive fiat
Heh

So since I blew out one of my 31's, and am on my back up 30's. I was thinking, because I really want to diesel swap on 35's-37's and 1 tons, But I was already planning on buying some 33's in a little while, say 6 months, That maybe I should wait longer, save up and buy 35's, a ford 8.8, and gears. What do you guys think? I would be more prep'd for the future swap, when my 4 banger inevitably bites the dust, with a 8.8, and the tires already, not to mention It would hype the build up and make me go through with things.

End goal is something like
>4BT
>Front 40/44, rear 9 inch
>AX15/nv4500 trans
>np205/stock np231
>35's-37's

What are your guys opinions? I want overkill, on a budget, if that makes sense. 10k budget.

hey look
the stinger actually came in handy for once instead of all the Veeky Forumstists yelling that it's useless.

No it didn't, it looks bent but it ain't.

The TJs in my area cost $8 000 for I6s sitting on d50s and 35+

Have you considered just buying another Jeep and using the money from selling your ol' yeller to supplement your new YJ/CJ/TJ?

I would buy the shit out of these Jeeps if I didn't have to highway so often. ):

I have, but a yj would be waaaay cheaper and I would loose so much money on it If I sold it to buy another. leaf springs are easy, no computer bullshit and minimal accessories. Plus muh ol yeller.

Iunno senpai. Putting 10k into a jeep seems a bit excessive tho...

Ol yeller is sure a beaut with her little idiosyncrasies like setting off car alarms and what not. But am I the only one who doesn't get too attached to their vehicles? I mean, I'd sell Taynger the moment I don't need a trucc and want to offroad hard

If you're dead set on that, I'd save up for that diesel swap, then. But aren't engine swaps incredibly annoying in Cali, too?

I'm new to /org/ why is there such a confusion about burb vs. Land cruiser?

I would have figured there were obvious pros/cons making one slightly worse/better?

What are the arguments?

And why the burb over the Tahoe? I thought they were the same except size, wouldn't that make the Tahoe better?