I'm strongly considering this for my next car, it's a Lexus gx 470. Anyone know anything about it? Seems like a solid...

I'm strongly considering this for my next car, it's a Lexus gx 470. Anyone know anything about it? Seems like a solid, comfy, trunk like suv. But it doesn't seem like there are a lot of them around. Any info would be great

Also I'm thinking of 03-07 models

The only time I would ever buy one is if it is under warranty. Otherwise I'd stay far away

Timing belt + interference engine = a real problem for poor people. Stay the fuck away unless you could easily afford to lose your entire investment.

Tough cars. Tacoma diffs and UZJ100 engine/gearbox (literally a V8 4Runner with a more accommodating body). I'd buy one in a heart beat if they were available in my locale.
Get some protective bar work on that bitch, some eLockers and a decent set of 265/70R17s and get out amongst it.

In other words, have proof that it has had the timing belt done. How expensive are these cars to own maintencd wise?
Yeah I drive a 4runner now and I'm enjoying it more than I expected. I just can't stand how small the interior is especially the shoulder space. But I like the height advantage it provides. The gx470 seems like a upgraded 4runner to me in literally every way

Are you able to get records of any suspension work? That's a big one

If it's serviced by the dealership they should have it in their system. That's generally speaking too not just Lexus. So if someone tells you so and so was done and there's no record of it they're lying

And actually now that I think about it some indie shops have service records in their systems too

Sounds like it'd be right up your alley.
Cost of maintenance is a tricky one. I'd presume it's similar in North America in that Toyota factory parts and dealer servicing costs an arm and maybe half a leg, but if you're not completely incompetent to turn a spanner, get a workshop manual and do it yourself (I'd still leave the 60k mile timing belt to a workshop though). I'd be surprised if it costs any more than your 4Runner to keep on the road other than obvious superficial expenses like extra oil capacity.

Just curious, do the GX Lexus' have air bags? If so I'd swap them for coils if/when they fail.

Carfare usually will provide the service record and what was done along with dates
Yeah it's kinda funny but I'm enjoying the SUV lifestyle. At first I found it unnecessary to have such a big car but it's pretty fun to drive, plus it provides so much more comfort. But the gx470 seems like a really solid bet if I can find one in good shape. Not to mention the climate control so I don't have to always fumble around with the ac, wish my 4runner had one. Not sure about the airbags I'd assume so.

>4Runner too small
>wants to replace it with SUV the same size
The GX is Prado based, it's midsize, same as the 4Runner.

Oh not to mention the 4x4 is unreal. We had a huge snow storm the other day, put in into awd and it was like I was driving on dry surface. So I can't even imagine how smooth the gx470 would be in snow given its bigger wheels height and weight

I'm talking about the incab space. It's a lot smaller inside than you'd think for a car that size. The shoulder space is almost nonexistent. And the rear space is REALLY small. It does have pretty good cargo space however so that's a plus. But comparing both cars the gx470 has significantly more incab space

I used to work at a Yoda dealership.

I loved driving these, that v8 loved to be revved and smacked on. Nice and jumpy. Nicely appointed insides. Comfy.

Would never own though. Too much on gas.

>that v8 loved to be revved and smacked on
Good quality for a sporty car, not so much for a 4x4 SUV.

Based on the same platform, but much more accommodating body.
Buy it, be the object of my envy.
Not him, but the same motor in the J100 still has more than adequate low-mid range grunt.

Will do, hopefully I can buy it within the next few months. Will definitely post pics but yeah, this car looks like a big winner as far as what I want

Although Lexus is a gift from the God's, I'd go with a Toyota 4Runner. Looks better and easier to modify if needed.

Just bought a v-8 2003 4 runner. Came on Veeky Forums for the first time to say it. So happy. It's fucking awesome

congrats, i'm looking at a '03 4runner myself too

it's 8k, hopefully the seller is up to negotiate

I'm reasonably confident Springs and struts are completely interchangeable between 4Runner, Tacoma, Prado/GX and FJ Cruiser. Only difference is varying spring rates required for the different tare weights and load capacities.
Diff centres (and therefore lockers and gearing) are identical.
And for bar work, you can't go past an ARB equipped Prado for a good ballance of protection and approach angle.

Nice, does it snow often where you live? The 4runner is like a fucking tank in snow it's amazing. Congrats

What's the mileage? That seems pretty pricey for an 03