What the fuck is this retarded hose on my rear axle for?

What the fuck is this retarded hose on my rear axle for?

Found it dangling when I was getting gas.

judging by the fittings I'd say its a brake line that probably goes to a splitter for your rear brakes

I'm surprised there isn't fluid everywhere

It has a plastic cap that clearly doesn't attach to anything.

I think it's some sort of breather.

oh, could be a breather for your diff. they're not 100% sealed because expansion and contraction due to temperature, that type of stuff

interesting that they make it part of a brake connection on the rear axle. pic related

Is it something that I need to get repaired right away?

I'm a full-time STEMfaggot but deliver food part-time. I'll have to drive a couple hundred miles in total by the time the week is over.

unless you drive in deep enough water to submerge your whole rear axle, you'll be fine

That's pretty much what I figured.

I'm still going to see what my mechanic has to say but don't think I'm going to worry too much.

Just tape it back up high, they usually get tucked into some clip or something. Just hope your mechanic is a bro

I don't know if you can tell from the first picture, but the hose is torn almost in half near where its connection point.

I don't trust the mechanic completely, but I'm in a small town and he's usually pretty generous. They help out with small jobs for free and don't pressure people for services they don't need (if it's not a big deal, they'll probably say, "Well, I wouldn't drive on it too much, but you might be good for a day or two").

It's a breather tube. You can leave it as is and you will only get dust in your diff oil. If you submerge it in water up to that point where it's broken you will get a free locker.

It's an axle breather hose. It alleviates the pressure caused by heat that builds up inside the axle through a one-way valve (the cap in your picture). Sometimes it's integrated into a brake line T-fitting, where the breather hose passes through the unit.

Get this fixed because you don't want it to clog and overheat or get moisture in, both of which will ruin your axle seals.

Do I need to get it repaired right away or would I probably be safe waiting a week?

You would probably be safe even more. The quicker you fix it the better of course! Make sure to get your differential oil changed at the same time in case it has been broken for a while.

Alternatively you could also take it out to a hardware store and get a same size line and swap it yourself in 20 minutes.

Do you have any idea how much they cost? Is the installation relatively easy?

I can't imagine there's much to it - all I saw when I got underneath my car was a simple rubber hose with a piece of plastic on the end.

I'm trying to find the part on Advance Auto but can only locate the plastic tip.

The hose (looks like a coolant hose) is like $2 a foot. The install is just using pliers to remove the bottom clip and switch the plastic part. Ziptie the plastic end as high as possible while leaving some slack for bumps. If you can't figure it out while looking at it then no one can help you here.

Yeah - just from what I remember of being underneath the car, it didn't seem too complicated. I have no idea where the clips for the plastic bit are supposed to be, so I think I'll invest in zip ties whenever I make it down to the auto parts shop tomorrow.

Guess I won't bother with the mechanic. I'm not very well mechanically inclined, but I think I can probably attaching a piece of rubber to a barb.

Thanks, by the way!

This is something you can fix yourself. I'd either get a new length of hose or cut off the bad part of the existing hose and reattach. Try and figure out where the hose is supposed to be secured while you're under the vehicle. It's not supposed to just hang there.

I didn't think of just shortening the hose. I'll put it off tomorrow and see what can be done with some scissors and zip-ties.

Just cut the end off near the diff and stick it back on. Zip tie the other end back to the frame. I see tons of fords with the fitting broken and the hose missing completely. Why has this taken 15+ posts?

For blow up your tires.