You know what would make this board a lot better? If OP's had a *minimal* word limit, not just a maximum word limit...

You know what would make this board a lot better? If OP's had a *minimal* word limit, not just a maximum word limit. If that were done, we could weed out most of the OP's that have zero substance. Even better, it might drive away posters who have a short attention span. "And humanities" would be a lot less toxic if it didn't permit basic, obtuse, one line OP's like, "Is monogamy natural?" and "are emotions just chemicals"? Sure, this might negatively impact some fun threads about memeing, but even meme OP's would be better if they were accompanied by some substance. Hell, this might even make religion threads bearable.

All we need is

1. Waaaaaay more moderation
2. Requirement that you need to cite a source for an answer to a question
3. Ban on speculative questioning ("hurr what if Rome never fell", none of that shit has ever produced an interesting discussion)

I feel like if there was a minimum word limit people would just spam text to get around it

If you want reddit so badly just go there. You won't be missed.

This is a good idea

We need more elitism

if someone asks a stupid question, give them a stupid answer

>Requirement that you need to cite a source for an answer to a question
I feel like that's not a good idea, because it would be impossible to enforce. Also, what would be the guidelines of citations? Would you need to link? Can you just give the title? Does if have to be primary, or can it *not* be primary (how wikipedia citations work)? What about answering a philosophy question?

You see what I'm saying?

I never said anything about upvotes or name, I'm just talking about a minimal work limit for the OP. I've never posted on reddit

I mean we already have

> When discussing history, please reference credible source material, and provide as much supporting information as possible in your posts.

It's just that it's not really enforced.

This is a board for students of history to relax and shitpost anonymously, what makes you think the majority of people here with relevant credentials actually want serious discussion?

I don't think stupid answers are in any sort of shortage.

For those of you who are still reading this, I urge you to at least make a difference by not replying to any thread with an extremely brief OP. Do not reply to any thread that asks a stupid, or one that just asserts a controversial opinion without giving some substance to it.

>Requirement that you need to cite a source for an answer to a question
>3. Ban on speculative questioning ("hurr what if Rome never fell", none of that shit has ever produced an interesting discussion)
Hey, why don't we just petition Hiroshima Nagasaki delete this board altogether?
Would be a hell of a lot faster way to kill Veeky Forums.

Ask the IRC.

You can't get rid of stupidity

or you could read the thread and judge if it's worth posting in

but that would require effort

If more than half the threads are shit, they are going to bump away the threads than aren't, especially when those threads are slower because they don't have as many shitposters. Also shitposters a re less likely to hang around here and post in good threads just for being here.

Mostly this

>students of history
Plus fans of pop history, political shitboasters, and amateur theologians/philosophers.

Speed doesn't necessarily equal quality. If we got rid of all the shit threads that don't result in any sort of decent discussion and it caused the board to slow down and jump in quality that would absolutely be a good thing for the board.

>If more than half the threads are shit, they are going to bump away the threads than aren't, especially when those threads are slower because they don't have as many shitposters.
so use the catalogue

>Also shitposters a re less likely to hang around here and post in good threads just for being here.
so ignore them

i think special snowflake rules will kill this board off rather than improve it, just treat this board like any other board on the site, post in threads you like and ignore the rest

>so use the catalogue
>so ignore them

Yeah, because the policy of "just ignore the shit threads" worked so well for /v/,/pol/,/r9k/,/tv/,Veeky Forums and /mu/, didn't it?

>Yeah, because the policy of "just ignore the shit threads" worked so well for /v/,/pol/,/r9k/,/tv/,Veeky Forums and /mu/, didn't it?
yeah, it did

>so use the catalogue
What's that got to do with it? I'm saying it makes better threads *die* faster.

the oldest thread on this board right now is over 12 hours old, that's not fast

>all these fags wanting intelligent, moderated discussion

Just go to reddit already.