/crpg/ - Classic RPG General

Classic RPG General #1

A happy place where you can discuss ALL the Cult Classic computer RPGs that aren't popular enough to have their own general!

>Classic RPGs list to discuss includes (but is not limited to), in alphabetical order:

Age of Decadence
Albion
Alpha Protocol
Anachronox
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Arx Fatalis
the Avernum series
the Baldur's Gate series
the Banner Saga
Darklands
Deus Ex
the Diablo series
the Divinity series
Dragon Age: Origins
Dungeon Rats
the Expedition series
the Fallout series
FTL: Faster Than Light
the Geneforge series
the Gothic series
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
the Icewind Dale series
the Jagged Alliance series
King of Dragon Pass
Knights of the Chalice
the Knights of the Old Republic series
the Legend of Grimrock series
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
Lords of Xulima
the Might & Magic series
the Neverwinter Nights series
Nox
the Pillars of Eternity series
Planescape: Torment
Risen
the Shadowrun series
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Space Rangers
the System Shock series
The Elder Scrolls series
The Temple of Elemental Evil
T'ranny
the Ultima series
Underrail
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
the Wasteland series
the Witcher series
the Wizardry series
the XCOM series
Xenonauts

>Upcoming Releases

Torment: Tides of Numenera
youtube.com/watch?v=V7QKH891Huc

Can it change the nature of inXile?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uGGoa1GSYS0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numenera
youtu.be/a0X6M5Fegno
youtube.com/watch?v=FbeP1aOuVfM
youtube.com/watch?v=B92P1-OUNJo
youtube.com/watch?v=Sletgl5ot64
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

woah

Hey!

Now user has xir very own place to bitch and complain!

Hey!

>Dragon Age: Origins
We already have /dag/

Shadowrun Hong Kong was great but I had a weird problem where Duncan's dialogue wouldn't advance after missions so I couldn't get the best ending. :(

Half the games on the list have their own generals

>Half

[Citation Needed]

I was obviously exaggerating, you melt

You were exaggerating greatly!

I was just thinking of making one of these. Gonna get this thread started:

Since I'm currently playing it, what is your favorite companion of PoE and why?

Why is Tyranny so short? The end of the game feels so weird since you essentially go from a legal aid to 2nd strongest thing in the world in like 2 hours.

also Verse best waifu

Let's be honest

Does anyone actually believe nu-Torment WON'T be a massive failure?

Like the devs tried so hard to sell-out to the consoletard, the SJW and Biodrone crowd, and even so they give about 0 shits about it

This will be the final stake in the heart of Kikestarted RPGs

I mean I think it's gonna be underwhelming, but I like Pillars of Eternity 2's crowd Funding ideas. I think we're gonna see a loss of popularity and trusting of stretch goals however

>Since I'm currently playing it, what is your favorite companion of PoE and why?

The best one by far is Durance.
>Great writing (written by Avellone).
>Great banter.
>Good voice.
>Useful to have (Priest + relatively good stats).

The second best one is Grieving Mother.
>Great writing (written by Avellone).
>No banter though (although it's justified and sometimes funny too; i.e. when you sacrifice her in the Pool of Blood, ltierally none of your companions will react, Durance will scratch his buttcheeks, Eder talks about how he wants chicken for lunch).
>Voiced by Mitsuru from Persona 3.
>Her Cipher class kinda conflicts with most people wanting to play Cipher.

The third best one is Eder.
>Tolerable writing.
>One of the best companions gameplay wise, no one wants to play a boring one handed + shield fighter, so he does it for you.
>Best VA of all the companions.
>Very charismatic, the only waifu companion in PoE.

Fourth best one is Aloth.
>Great comic relief, much better than the tryhard little shit Hiravias.
>Original backstory.
>Best VA of all the companions (yes, same as Eder's, all of Aloth's voices)
>Sort of good companion, since I doubt a lot of people would want to play a Wizard in PoE either.

The rest is average to meh.

The fish Barbarian is by far the worst though, no redeeming qualities at all.

I'm definitely gonna play it on Day 1 as soon as it arrives on GOG, just out of morbid curiosity.

I'm not gonna purchase it though, not until it's

I really like Durance's backstory. And Grieving Mother is great as well. I just finished Eder's quest I wasn't surprised but I was sad for him and I like Aloth's character too.

Are all the companion sidequests wrapped up this quickly? I hope that's something they improve on in PoE2

What do you think about this list I made myself on my own? All the recently released RPGs ranked by popularity & ratings.

>Are all the companion sidequests wrapped up this quickly?
Durance's quest was actually pretty hard to finish until they fixed it in a patch.

And Kana Rua's quest obviously involves a lot of dungeon crawling.

>Pillars
>Controversy

>Tyranny
>No Consensus

Tyranny is shit, but Pillars is definitely closer to classic than controversy

>Why is Tyranny so short?

It was a quick cash-in (or slam-dunk as Feargus Urquhart calls it) version of PoE.

Like Storm of Zehir, or that Dungeon Siege game Obsidian made.

>T'ranny
kek

Was it just a quick cash in? I thought what was there was pretty good, I really enjoyed the world building and the characters were pretty good. I just wish there was more of it. That being said I haven't played PoE yet so maybe I don't have enough perspective.

Whoa!

What's the name of the game in the middle of the bottom left?

Fat liberation?

Regret.

cancer general that isn't even on topic? kill yourself.

>bumping a thread that was about to die
kys

>about to die
>was on page 9

Did you just come here from /v/ or something?

The Dragon Age general is on page 10 almost all the time and is only kept by one or two guy posting some off topic shit once per hour.

>Did you just come here from /v/ or something?
maybe

I am the only person in this thread who played more than 50% of the games in this list.

Yeah I don't have a problem with the game being short but the ending felt abrupt and not much like a conclusion.

Also I didn't like how I was forced into going against Kyros. I played a lawful evil type who was strongly supportive of Kyros. Also, seeing Tunon capitulate so easily and 180 on his centuries long loyalty was a little wierd

>Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

One of these things, is not like the other...

Is the combat at least better than PoE? Is it fun?

Or is it "balanced" (no fun) and constantly updated to "nerf" all the strong builds?

It's much different than pillars. You should look up some gameplay videos. Basically most abilities have cooldowns (length affected by an attribute) with a focus on companion combos. The party size is only 4, so with quick abilities and a smaller scale fights tend to be a bit faster. It can still be difficult but mostly early game.

I thought it was fun but it depends what you're looking for.

Nice la

Thanks friend.

Pillars of Eternity is actually great fun if you install the IE Mod that allows you to jump around the map (among other things) like in BG2 with cheats on.

PoE has insane spells and OP abilities, just nothing completly broken which is good

>Enter beamdog forums to search for some mods
>A thread called "Mod to Romance Anomen as male?"
>Leave the forum

I forgot the bg modding scene was a gayfest

PoE has got to be the most bland and forgettable game ever made. i played baldur's gate ages ago but i remember the joy of killing firkraag to obtain carsomyr or entering the guarded compound to get celestial fury or slaying kangax the demilich for his badass ring. every item in poe is 4 STAM FOR STR LEATHER BELT and every battle aside from adra dragon and maybe thaos is boring as shit

almost every cypher cc, all druid lightning spells, hiravia's unique shapeshift claws, all the wizard summoned weapons, wall of many colors, every item summon, everything about monks, rangers with double shot ricochet stunning lightning arrows, ...

Torment: Tides of Numenera will be BETTER than PST

Screencap this

Does anyone have the screencap of the new Torment game where the player sends profanities through some interdimensional communication device?

>profanities

n-no way

>No pic related
Shiggy diggy Op

Uhhh

>Dragon Age: Origins

Oh I just missed it, thanks fambo

>Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

I'll just leave this here to explain how that game is for horny 13 year olds only
youtube.com/watch?v=uGGoa1GSYS0

Should I play as a FTM in Baldur's Gate 2?

anyone know where I can read all the biographies EE added for each subclass in BG1?

on the character creation screen

>Trying to do a very complete run of Origins_Awakening and DLC after completing it once on launch and Awakening years later
>Miss one of the six black vials in an early as fuck ambush in Denerim
>Didn't realize there was a Dragon fight in the Orzammar Throne Room until after I put a Bhelen on the throne
>Didn't have pickpocketing in the main game for Denerim
Guess I'm doing a second playthrough of Origins after it all. What Origin/Companions should I pick?

I did Arcane Warrior Mage and Morrigan, Sten, and Zevran this time.

:^)

>creepers who play with Imoen romance mod not welcome
>has some creepy Imoen mod in the OP
?

play as a dickass thief and drop zevran

So who voiced Thaos in Pillars of Eternity?

who else hyped as fuck for expedition vikings?
conquistador was so good

Deadfire will be a BG2 killer

print out and frame this post

>conquistador was so good
Was it? I was super bored by the combat system that offered so little options (until you reach the very highest ranks) and the fact that the Natives were superior to the Spanish in most classes was also super award

Where's Final Fantasy??

jrpg trash not welcome

But Planet's Escape: Tournament is also a JRPG

go dw rogue, it's the second best class in dao after mage

>Torment: Tides of Numenera

Important question:

Will there be Romance Options?

Yes

Cool

No it's not... It's developed in America...

How do you guys feel about female orlans?

Game has been scrapped and made into a moba
PoE is not a crpg and discussion of the game is not welcome here. please leave and never come back

I fapped to mine once

>the Pillars of Eternity series

the general was subverted by an obsidishitter, move along already.

>Biodrone telling us what isn't an RPG

>Stop talking about thinks I don't like

Me

JRPG is a genre, idiot

Septerra Core was made in the West and is still a JRPG

I agree

>>Upcoming Releases
>
>Torment: Tides of Numenera

Only hipsters and gamer girls care about this one

does it even have a D&D license still, or is it going to be garbage?

It's not based on D&D, but on

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numenera

designed by a guy called MONTE COOK.

I don't even need to say it (his surname)

please be a shitpost.

>Tides of Numenera
>Numenera

are you blind

>I am a __________ __________ who _________s.

>The planned release date announced during the fund raising campaign was set to December 2014, but was later postponed "a few months" due to the need to implement the numerous achieved stretch goals.[29] During the course of the game's development, its release was delayed to the fourth quarter of 2015,[22] then 2016,[3] and eventually to the first quarter of 2017.[5]
lol

At this point, I will literally cut off my penis if new Torment turns out to be anything but a "g-g-good for what it is!!!" Wasteland 2 tier disappointment.

being delayed 2 years means either they committed and finished the majority of what they sought out do at the start, a good thing.
or the project fell apart and it's been a clusterfuck to scrap together.
it's going to be terrible like PoE but praised by retards universally.

>being delayed 2 years means either they committed and finished the majority of what they sought out do at the start, a good thing.

Has this ever been true when a game got delayed so long in history of video games?

in terms of the old RPGs, deadlines have always been pushed to the wire, but never a two year delay has amounted to anything good.

youtu.be/a0X6M5Fegno

Post good CRPG music!
youtube.com/watch?v=FbeP1aOuVfM

youtube.com/watch?v=B92P1-OUNJo

Much better.

How is it in anyway a jrpg?

Because JRPG has only meaning if you understand it as a genre of RPGs influenced by / evolved from the the Japanese bastardization of the Wizardry genre.

There are clear and defined ways to identify a JRPG. Everything made by RPG Maker XYZ is a JRPG. Menu clicking, turn-based or pseudo-turn based combat is involved. Usually grinding too. Lots of levels and big numbers. Very little choices & consequences other than "branching storyline".

JRPG meaning "a RPG made in Japan" is a worthless definition. What's so special about Japan that it needs to have it's own special tag? Why no URPG or ARPG for American RPG video games then? GRPG for German ones? Etc.

JRPG is a genre that can be made in any country and there are in fact thousands of examples of JRPGs made in foreign countries due to RPG Maker.

Similarly, Dark Souls is NOT a JRPG. It was made in Japan, but it is clearly nothing like the typical Japanese RPG (which is a JRPG, because lots of JRPGs - but not all - come from Japan), and it is just a Japanese attempt at trying to get new moneys by embracing the latest RPG ideas from the West, and abandoning virtually all of the JRPG stereotypes in it.

IWD 1 pleb towns swerve!

youtube.com/watch?v=Sletgl5ot64

Well said.

>i like minsc!!! lol so wacky

Isn't Sawyer working on Deadfire??