/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Let the games begin edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YlUKcNNmywk
youtube.com/watch?v=rYcCcbh9_yg
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode#Faction_management
youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg
youtube.com/watch?v=Soa3gO7tL-c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Update never

Update soon

elv soon

You both kept the little boner tent edit.

What a scene. This is happening on the edge of a 50z drop.

Maybe it was on purpose

Probably not

Yuo !
Tel
L me!
Is elv
of ur
likenings ?

NO

I like elv

elv is CUTE!

Only if properly domesticated in a human or dwarf civ though. Immortality and cuteness+proper values=ubermensch

>elv
>mensch

uberelvsh

*überelvae

Oh good I was worried I might run out of goblin teeth.

The two dwarves holding the line there are the Duchess/Militia Commander Fath Spiraloil Rider of Rampages, Captain of the Contested Castles, and Mosus Shieldbloods the Afflicted Confidence of Pack, Fath's longtime protege. Both are macelords wielding artifacts, Fath wielding the platinum mace Rumadiltang created by our first and long-reigning mayor, and Mosus wielding Nakuther, an adamantine morningstar created by our original expedition leader. The makers of both artifacts were transformed into werechameleons and died in battle against a terrible forgotten beast after sequestering themselves in the 3rd cavern. Mosus' little sister is also a titled macelord under Fath's tutelage, and her mother is a spearmaster and Captain of the Diamond Gorges. Both are on their way to reinforce right now.

All in all, this is a very satisfying sight for me.

youtube.com/watch?v=YlUKcNNmywk

>dorf fort 1.0

Anons and Urists, Goblins and Elves, Kobolds and Plump Helmet men... Welcome, WELCOME, to the SECOND DWARF FORTRESS GENERAL GLADIATOR TOURNAMENT. For your pleasure, sixteen stalwart souls shall step onto the gore-slicked stones of our very own arena. Blood shall be spilled, bones shall be broken, and Armok shall be honoured. Out of all the combatants, only one may survive to earn the right to call themselves the Champion of /dfg/. Eternal glory, wealth and a place in the hall of fame are what await this victorious gladiator.

But enough talk! Now is the time for blades to sing, for hammers to break and for the crowd to ROAR.

May Armok have mercy on their souls.

H Y P E
That's a nice looking custom arena.

Riding sharks and giant dragonflies in adventure mode or make your dwarves use them as mounts in fortress mode would be pretty cool.

does poison ever wears out? My military fought against a dino forgotten beast with poison vapours and they've been constantly dizzy since then

Some do. Some don't. They're procedurally genned, so they all have different properties.

For our first match of the day, we have brains vs brawn.

Buckethead Båx, a goblin equipped with a spear and a large, bucket-shaped helm. When queried as to why he'd chosen such an uncomfortable looking piece of equipment, he merely doffed his helm and explained haughtily, "In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any crass muscles. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence."

Dovregubben, even for a troll, is remarkably slow. What he lacks in brains, however, he more than makes up for in sheer muscle and savagery, often devouring his still-living enemies. At over four times the size of his opponent, one quivers to imagine these two fighting. And yet fight they must!

Place your bets folks, for the games. Have. BEGUN!

I have a feeling Bax is gonna get his head crushed through his helmet

Rip euphoric goblin

Gooooooooo Buckethead!

Buckethead wins in 7 strokes. I bet a -giant cougar bone amulet-.

Dovregubben is gonna get disemboweled by Båx's spear.

Dovregubben initiates the brawl with a punch that strikes surprisingly fast for such a large creature, but as Båx had brilliantly predicted, his cranium is protected by his trusty iron helm. Nonetheless, the blow sends him reeling, the strength behind that troll's fists must be incredible indeed! I expect Båx to have a sore neck in the morning, should he survive this encounter! Still dizzy, the goblin lashes out, and lands a direct blow on the troll's leg. An audible *CRACK* is heard, and many in the crowd cheer as Dovregubben falls to the earth, unable to stand! While his foe is writhing, Båx lands several quick kicks to the prone troll, before jabbing him in the head with his spear. Trolls have thick skulls, however, and Dovregubben merely blinks the blood out of his eyes and reaches for his foe, snarling. Båx deftly stabs the outstretched hand with a cackle, and hops about taunting his foe. Over the course of several minutes, the euphoric goblin scurries around, landing many blows with his spear, which seems so blunt it tends to break bones rather than pierce flesh. Dovregubben, in return, only manages to land glancing blows, which are easily ignored by the goblin. Eventually, Båx stabs at the mouth of the troll, and actually breaks off a tusk. Enraged at the loss of a troll's pride and joy, a roaring Dovregubben makes a final climactic attempt at killing his tormentor, but is put down by a shattering blow to his shoulder. Bones broken, bleeding from a dozen places, and exhausted, the troll succumbs and falls unconcious. Bax grasps his spear and savagely stabs at the troll's head, working on it for almost a full minute until, finally, the skull breaks and Dovregubben is put out of his misery.

Congratulations Buckethead Bax! You are the first gladiator to make it through to the quarter finals! You have 220 points to spend for your next round.

Wow

Yay, Buckethead!

I knew ol' Båx wouldn't let us down.

There's a reason trolls are enslaved by goblins and not the other way around. Bax has merely confirmed the natural order of things. *tips visor*

What a fight that was my fellow anons! It appears, at least this time, that brains trumps brawn and sends it packing with a large hole in the skull. We shall see if Båx manages to keep proving his intellect is unmatched against his next opponent.

For our next fight, we have a blushing beauty against a brawny scrapper, but which one shall be the victor?

It's the fighter from down under, the brawler from the bush, the vulgar yet intriguing Restive Win! It is rumoured the name is but a cover, and that this particular kangaroo man is a living legend, come to duke it out against the best we have to offer. Hopefully, we don't disappoint!

A traveler from afar, Annie Mae is fighting in this tournament to save her kidnapped brother. She claims to have been the best swordswoman in her fencing school, and incredibly popular with the boys. Why she included that last part, we aren't sure, but her figure definitely proves it.

Place your bets folks, the second round shall begin shortly

>Legendary weaponsmith gets a strange mood
>ohboyohboyohboy.jpg
>It's a silver short sword
>tfw

what this

Annie Mae!
I bet a Giant Squirrel Leather Thong that menaces with spikes of Forgotten Beast Bone.

ROO STRONK

It's from the DF related tumblr account "Ask Amxu".

It will most likely follow the same pattern, namely that weapon wins against no weapon.

That roo is though.

Damn, Bax. You gotta upgrade that spear.

I think it's gonna end in a curbstomp, either Annie Mae cuts him up quickly or Restive Win destroys her with one or two hits.

I'll take you up on that bet! 1 elf slave on the roo!

I bet TWELVE(12) gold coins and one tattered iron shield on the elf too.

This game is so comfy, I love the feeling I get when I play it, but I eventually find myself in a "what can I do now" situation.

I guess I've focused only on making a Fortress and maintaing it, so it guess boring, could you give me some ideas to have fun?

Both combatants step into the arena, at ease and confident. The Horn is blown, and immediately they charge at each other. Annie Mae gets the first strike, a stabbing blow to the stomach which tears through her opponents stingray cloak, and to the crowds delight, causes a crimson spatter of blood to stain the arena floor. Caught off guard by the savageness of such a petite elf (and maybe distracted by her dazzling assets) the kangaroo man misses his jab. Snatching the opportunity, Annie Mae twirls her elven blade and scores a direct hit on Win's head, causing a wash of warm blood to streak down his face! The wrestler is in bad shape already, but shrugging off the pain he curses in a strange accent and charges at Mae. His rock hard body slams into the elf, to whoops from the audience, and he gets a vice-like lock on her leg. Mae, no longer looking as smug, slashes desperately with her sword, and actually severs Win's foot! This does not deter the brawny fighter, and with a loud bellow, he twists the leg in a move that audibly snaps the tendons and pops it out of it's socket. The elf screams in pain, a terrible noise to hear, and starts savagely hacking at her opponent. Win blocks her sword with an arm wrapped in stingray cloak, but before he can do anything else she slices off his other foot! This is too much for Win, and he heaves and retches. Seeing him off guard, Annie Mae punches him, and rolls away from his unbalanced swings. Coming up in a blinding movement, she lunges forward. There is a moment of silence, where neither combatant moves, before Annie Mae collapses to the ground, unable to stand on her damaged leg, and Restive Win slowly topples forward, his head falling cleanly off his shoulders. Covered in blood, vomit and tears, Annie Mae weakly raises her sword, and the crowd screams it's approval.

Congratulations Annie Mae! You have made it to the quarter finals. You have 254 points to spend for next round.

YEAH

let your autism flow.make a 40z entrance gate out of glass with a mister

Annie Mae is so beautiful and graceful, I knew she would win.
I liek elv.

Ask Amxu is the best.

As expected, although the roo put up more of a fight than I had expected.

Annie Mae victory theme: youtube.com/watch?v=rYcCcbh9_yg

It looks like the power of Annie Mae is too much, even for a legend such as Restive Win, may he rest in peace. Will the elf swordswoman manage to survive more of these frantic, bloody duels and go on to rescue her kidnapped brother? We shall see...

For our next fight, we have a very curious situation indeed. Two animal men, both winged, and both deadly with their respective weapons. Axe and shield, and... Lead minecart?

The roach man Koksal is a noble representative of his people. He is said to be their greatest champion, and a brave warrior. Perhaps he is here to struggle against the unfair prejudices many have against roaches, or perhaps he is here merely to test his mettle.

I WAS RECENTLY LASHED IN HALF is a kea man, with perhaps the strangest (and alarming) name out of all the gladiators. Even more bizarre, he fights with a stolen lead minecart. Armed only with his ludicrously heavy cart, and the quirky, mischievous attitude that all kea's possess, we shall be monitoring with interest what this strange fighter can do.

Place your bets, folks. Such a fight is sure to intriguing, no matter the outcome.

Fuck keas
Roach man win plz

Goddamnit. I guess a bets a bet. Here, take it you lucky fuck.

Why did you post a picture of a chestnut?

This'll be one for the ages, but I doubt even Koksal can resist the might of the lead minecart.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
L
O
O
D

F
O
R

T
H
E

B
L
O
O
D

G
O
D

This is the day you've been training for, Köksal.

C'mon, you can win this!

Isn't that matchup 1D?

I post the combat log with a quick post about the winner, before announcing the next fighters, seeing as I can't put the gif and the log in the same post.
That combat log was for the Annie Mae vs Restive Win fight.

>Ignore thread for a few weeks
>Miss out on tourney registrations

I mean the match that you announced now, Koksal vs IWRLINH

I think he meant that you skipped 1C:Ecstasy vs Li.

It's no big deal though, they can fight after Koksal and the Kea man.

I need anime OC about annie mae right now
Drawfags, get to it quick

Whoops, you're right. My bad. They'll be next up.

Such is life dear user

I WAS RECENTLY SLASHED IN HALF will squish that bugman like a.. uh.. bug.

Two shield are pretty good, and having several arms means it's more likely that the opponent won't target one that's holding something.

A good hit to the body or head with that minecart could kill him quickly though.

Koksal strides towards his ridiculous looking opponent, a minecart-toting kea man with the most nonthreatening name imaginable. I WAS RECENTLY LASHED IN HALF, on his end, slowly heaves his lead weapon towards the roach man, his green arms straining under the load. With surprising dexterity, the minecart is swung straight at Koksal's face, only to be batted aside by his axe. The two trade blows, Koksal evidently impressed with his opponent. I WAS RECENTLY LASHED IN HALF gets in a powerful blow, crushing one of the roach man's arms, while Koksal himself hacks at a wing, scoring a deep, painful wound. The two combatants pause and reassess each other, Koksal settling himself into a fighter's stance. Perhaps he's taking the kea man more seriously now. A flurry of blows follow at a speed that draws gasps from the audience, however it is the minecart which lands first, crushing Koksal's axe hand into a bloody smear. Unfazed, even as the axe falls to the ground, Koksal strikes using the wagon wheels he wields as shields. The two fight on, but it's clear that the fight is going poorly for the roach man. Chattering angrily, Koksal takes to the skies, baiting the kea man to follow on his wounded wing. The two duel in the air, shields and minecart a blur of movement, with both combatants trading blows. As Koksal weakens due to the rain of heavy blows, I WAS RECENTLY LASHED IN HALF spies an opportunity, and in an incredible display of strength, raises the lead minecart over his own head! Koksal turns to flee, but is struck directly in the back, completely shearing off one of his wings. Unable to remain in the air, the roach man violently crashes to the earth and bursts! I WAS RECENTLY LASHED IN HALF flies back to the ground, exhausted, and stands amidst the innards and ichor to exuberant cheers from the crowd.

Congratulations I WAS RECENTLY LASHED IN HALF, you have made it to the quarterfinals! You have 293 points to spend on the next round.

RIP Koksal.

You were too good for this world.

Brutal

W O O T
Good job I WAS RECENTLY LASHED IN HALF!

And so the noble roach man perishes, crushed beneath the great weight of a minecart. His people shall no doubt mourn his death for years to come. None of that matters to the cheerful kea man however, who is chirping happily along without a care in the world! We'll just have to keep an eye on any valuables while he's here...

Due to an error in management, these next fighters were supposed to go before Koksal and LASHED IN HALF, but they're finally getting their time in the spotlight. Two humans, one merely a boy! Is it right to pit this one in the arena, to fight and die for our amusement? Who cares, Armok demands blood!

Ecstasy, also known as Darks, claims to be someone's "OC". We're not sure what he means by this, but from the way he handles his knives down to the spiky blue hair he wears, not to mention his tight fitting raven black leather pants, we get the feeling that he knows what he's doing.

Not much is known about Li. It is assumed he comes from a faraway land, for his garb and tongue are strange. What's more familiar is the sturdy iron armour he wears, and the confident way he handles his long, and very sharp, halberd.

Place your bets folks, its man vs man! Or rather, boy vs man. Let's see who will be quick, and who will be dead.

Give them a bath, the vapours might be stuck to their bodies.

Well, you see

First

You go on a zone without metal, and without trees, that is also evil, and near a necromancer tower and a dark fortress, and without a river.

Then, you decide to not make any booze for your dwarves.

This should make things more interesting.

Ecstasy better pssh nothin personnel, kid that weeaboo.
I've got all my savings riding on this.

As long as Ecstasy aims for the parts that are protected everything should be fine. But that won't happen.

Yeah, I'm rooting for Ecstasy all the way.

Do you want to be a glorios barbarian lord? Get famous, amass followers, and check this shit out.

Like holy SHIT does anyone else know about this?

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode#Faction_management

"After you create a mead hall zone you can claim it like you can claim any mead hall, you will get a text popup telling you you are in control now and your title will change to lord, you may then start hiring guards and assigning them to your sites zones. The guards will automatically patrol your site if they are not your companions, or will hang out in the zones you assign them.

Note If they are not your companions they will not build for you.

As with owning a town, you can force the leaders of nearby villages to pay you tribute via the submit and pay tribute demand if you create a site and claim its mead hall. However they are unlikely to submit under non-strenuous circumstances. "

The combat begins, and immediately Ecstasy sprints towards Li, bent almost double and with his arms trailing behind him. Li, mildly embarrassed by the actions of his opponent, brings up his halberd and knocks aside the obvious attack. The two trade blows, Li calmly standing his ground parrying and jabbing while Ecstasy flips around stabbing at his foe with his daggers. However, despite Li's skill with a halberd, Ecstasy spots an opening and slashes the surprised warrior in the foot, causing him to sink to one knee with an expression of shock. With Li on the defensive, the crowd begin to cheer as Ecstasy slowly racks up damage on his enemy. Desperate to strike at his foe, Li lunges forward and tries to skewer the edgy bastard. He does so too slowly, and with a flash of the knife and a spray of crimson blood, Li's halberd drops from his nerveless hands. Many audience members groan, and urge Li to stand back up and pick up his weapon. Li flails at Ecstasy with his good hand in desperation, unable to land even a single blow, as the boy builds up to a bloody finale. The halberdless hallebardier is subjected to a tortuous death of a thousand cuts, bleeding from all over and with many broken bones, he is soon completely unable to stand, much less fight back with any hope. Eventually, Ecstasy stands before his foe, gloating and licking the blood on his knife, with such unbridled edginess some elderly members of the audience need to be escorted out so that they don't suffer heart attacks. Casually bending over, Ecstasy raises Li's head, so that they are eye to eye. He whispers something to the torn and broken man, before punching him square in the face savagely, and reverse his knife to stab it directly into Li's brain. Jerking out the knife, Ecstasy sneers at the corpse, before cutting his own wrists and nonchalantly departing the arena.

Congratulations Ecstasy aka Darks, you have made it to the quarter finals! You have 210 points to spend for the next round.

PSHHHHHHHHHH
nuthin personel

>with such unbridled edginess some elderly members of the audience need to be escorted out so that they don't suffer heart attacks
ok, you are a good storyteller, good job

>*teleports out of arena*

I knew it, putting those skills in armor wasn't such a good idea.

Import a shit ton of marble and build a giant bathhouse with multiple pools, hot tubs, and lots of statues and plants.

>tfw didn't get to draw every gladiator before it started

well, at least all 3 of my gladiators won their rounds

CRIKEY!

>tfw you already lost one out of two
At least my elf girl (male) stands a better chance.

It seems that the raw speed and dexterity of Ecstasy, combined with the impressive appearance and powerful aura of Extreme Edge, was too much for poor Li to defeat. In any case, it looks as though with every kill, Ecstasy falls even further into the darkness...

Next up is a battle of strength! The powerful polar bear man with the jaws of steel, versus the serving wench of local dwarven tavern, the Leaky Spigot. So far it seems that they key to victory in these fights is simple. Bring a weapon. However, perhaps Whitey's teeth and claws are the only weapons he needs?

Hailing from the far north, Whitey the Pooh is a bit of an odd one. He wandered into the tournament, signed up after asking a lot of strange questions (such as "do we get snacks for competing?"), and got stuck in the bathroom only a few minutes before his scheduled fight... Maybe he'll prove to be more alert on the battlefield.

Brunhilda is a brawny lass, big, busty and bearded, she's a popular one with the locals, and it seems as if she's already accrued a following, despite not having fought at all yet! With a bare chest and her trusty axe, she seems confident in her abilities. "Hopefully I'll get to have a round with that elf girl." She was heard commenting "I'd kill to show that princess how a real braw lassie fights!"

Place your bets, folks. Let's see if at least one of the wrestlers can make it through!

One question for you, Tourney.

When do you plan on starting the second round? How long do we have to upgrade our characters beforehand?

Whoops forgot the combat log

thanks friendo

>brunhilda vs annie mae
Im calling it now guys, that's the final battle of this tourney

>my elf girl (male)
Who's that?

I'd like to start the second round tomorrow night, which, for me, is like a full day away. However, i'll only start it if I get all the updated gladiators. So start sending them in pls.

>stabbed in the neck
Maybe an iron mail would have been better

Also I totally forgot the victory themes for the two winners. Sorry. It's late I'm tired :(

LASHED IN HALF: youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

Ecstasy, aka, Darks: youtube.com/watch?v=Soa3gO7tL-c

Which of these is the better Legendsviewer to use?

As the bearded Brunhilda steps into the arena, whoops and raucous cheers are heard from the crowd, it looks as though the entire patronage of the Leaky Spigot is gathered here today! Brunhilda smiles and crashes her axe against her shield, before settling into a warrior's stance, baring a mouthful of teeth at her large opponent. Whitey, meanwhile, looks mildly bewildered by the whole affair, he keeps muttering under his breath and looking around. The signal is blasted, and the two combatants rush forward. The warriors strike at each other, neither getting past the other's defence, until Brunhilda scores first blood with a glancing blow to Whitey's hand, that barely cuts through to the fat. These polar bears have thick skin, that's for sure folks! Yet as I say that, the brazen lass bellows a dwarven oath and cleaves the polar bear man's arm right off! Her fans in the audience roar with delight, and begin singing a dwarven battle hymn. Whitey, infuriated, roars himself, and slams into Brunhilda as she is busy flexing for the crowd. Before he can chomp down on her exposed flesh, however, she lifts her shield, and all Whitey gets is a mouthful of copper. As he growls and spits, the busty dwarf hews into his leg, smashing the bone and bloodying her axe once more! With Whitey howling and writhing on the floor, Brunhilda leaps backwards, and prepares a devastating strike. The injured bear, seeing the flashing blade descend, whispers quite audibly: "Oh, bother..."

*Thunk*

Congratulations Brunhilda, you have made it to the quarter finals! You have 222 points to spend.