/domg/ - Dominions general

You bastards let it die at 200 posts edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator:

First for aboleth traps.

>168811647

Ur is actually good at snowballing expansion, because it can always turn gold into more stuff to expand with. While they can get to a decent size with a pure scale build as a result, they get even MORE benefit than usual out of awake expansion.

I blame the lack of turns.

I blame a lack of talking points but that's never stopped the page 10 jackals before.

I didn't notice it was at page 10.

Wouldn't it be easier just to kill yourself rather than wait to be eaten by evil monsters from beyond hell?

How exactly does one "break in" to a non-native magic path? I have no idea how to do this properly, and my single player experience typically goes poorly.

>find province with an indy mage
>drop a lab/temple on it
>start site searching
>find fuckall because they're shitty 1 power mages
>fail to remote sitesearch because no fucking gems
>fail to make a booster because no fucking gems
>fail to summon a better mage because no booster and no fucking gems

It is even worse when I do this with a pretender because then my sitesearching is limited to one guy going from province to province over dozens of turns and still getting nothing done because no fucking gems.

Please explain to me the extent of my retardation.

Alright let's talk. If instead of playing an actuall game, you instead were going to play a survival style game with your pretender where:
>Map is just your cap circle so you can see what enemies are coming next turn
> you're besieged turn 1, can't break seige
>each turn you are attacked by progressively harder armies
>You have full research
>You receive a stipend of gems based on the enemy mages
>You are allowed to cast rituals between each round

What's your pretender's build?

A level one mage will actually get about 70% of sites in their path because of distribution.

Whats that big sphinx statue? Probably that with like N9, E9, D9, B9 or something similar.

Sounds like you're having shit luck. Also don't expect to break into anything with just level 1 indies in any small amount of time, unless it's N1. Those are pretty safe Site searching can be a bitch though especially in LA.

W1 too.

>N2
I thought statues couldn't cast regen? Though the 35 prot plus temper flesh/soul vortex would be bannas

Then I don't understand why this is happening to me.

I'd try to get big S/D on an irminsul so I could do regen + soul drain, unless the attackers had some sort of big S magic duelist

So, yeah. Soul Drain, Soul Vortex, Personal Regen, Astral Shield, Body Ethereal. After that, the AI will probably skelespam

>Personal Regen
>Soul Vortex
>Mistform
>Temper flesh
>Summon Earth Power

And have the F in there for it to hopefully cast Phoenix pyre or fire shield. Otherwise would throw more point into A for AN evo fun.

And depending on the army use the air random to cast RoS and Wailing Winds

Depending on the size of the enemy army, Soul Drain is the best spell in the game. If they're set up with access to high S magic duel, then naturally you can't use it, but if not that's the most important spell to grab.

E access is pretty great, though, and I should probably have found a way to put that in.

Not this time fuckers.

Could anyone direct me to a list of land nations that can build underwater forts?(across all ages)

Jomon and LA Atlantis are the only ones I know about.

Thanks.

I know there are more then this, can anyone else help?

check: EA/MA Agartha, MA Shinuyama

also, LA Mictlan

and, obviously, MA/LA Xibalba

Ichty-yids...

So I see a lot of people talk about endgame planning for a wish caster, what do you wish for that's so damn useful? S9 seems really tedious to get to.

I figured soul drain would be useful for this but I wanted to avoid the astral vulnerability all together. This will get the job albeit a good deal slower

It is, but the rings are useful for other magic paths too so it's not the end of the world in terms of investments. Wishing for armageddon can really shut down opponents and wishing for dominion is handy but not really economically viable unless you've got absolutely stupid numbers of pearls coming in, otherwise I would prefer juggernauts. Seraphs are a good chassis but are they 100 pearls good?
Wish really seems to me like an added extra and not something to build a strategy around

End game S strategy is Arcane Nexus, which then allows for wishing for gems to provide other gems which earn a partial rebate. Wish itself is not a standalone end game goal, just something that you use when you have the game winning global up.

I assume you have to take an awakened pretender.
Will having Death3, unluck3 actually a bad idea since you only have one province, it doesn't mean it can't get hit by disease and unluck events. That also accounts of dominion too. If you only have 2 dominion and get hit by a undominion event then you're dead.

>usual buff
>acid storm
>all those corpses to feed my 5k hp puppy

There's honestly a lot of shit that'll kill this pupper

You're expanding and this guy slaps your prophet on the ass, what do you do /domg/?

Charm him, enslave his apprentices, and enjoy the riches of his tower.

Stop doing this shit.

What does MA Man cast in combat?
Are sleep and poison clouds worth bringing lots of mages into combat?Are the new summod spells (Fascination and that AoE Curse of the Frog Prince) worth it?

Weebposting will save this thread.

I shouldn't have to post 3 times in a row trying to keep the thread alive.
Fucking Americans and Aussies. It's your shift now, do your job.

It's aussie time, desu. 3 AM in america

Australian hours. Let's rock.

Sorry mate I was chucking a prawn on the barbie.

Tonight I tried venison. It's okay. Works better as jerky.

They can CAST it. Limited Regen doesn't actually do anything for them though, because they're lifeless.

-early sitesearching
-hope and prayers
-having the magic booster guide open all the time and remember all the summon a mage spells
-trading gems and items
-cast remote sitesearching spells with level 1 mages equipped with a traded booster

in the very end it's not easy to break into most paths and it requires some suffering and often empowering or luck, which imply a bi genough empire.

Please respond.

Meanwhile in LUKASADMINLAND:

13:21 GMT on Thursday February 16th Hosting delayed by 12 hours.
01:13 GMT on Friday February 17th Hosting delayed by 5 hours.
05:58 GMT on Friday February 17th Hosting delayed by 12 hours.
18:01 GMT on Friday February 17th Hosting delayed by 12 hours.
06:54 GMT on Saturday February 18th Hosting delayed by 12 hours.
18:59 GMT on Saturday February 18th Hosting delayed by 12 hours.
04:16 GMT on Sunday February 19th Hosting delayed by 1 hours.
06:43 GMT on Sunday February 19th Hosting delayed by 24 hours.
05:07 GMT on Monday February 20th Hosting delayed by 12 hours.
05:07 GMT on Monday February 20th Hosting delayed by 12 hours.

play turns

Being admin is great, isn't it?

Is the mercybrand good?

I tab out, close dominions, and never join a Oeridia game again.

Any LA games starting soon?

What do those attacks do anyway?

I'm pretty sure that if you made one, a lot of people would join.

I have a finished LA pretender just waiting for a game to come around.

You know, I never tried LA Abysia. Might have a go with that.

Presumably nothing. A trampler, but unable to pick on somebody its own size, fits the fluff

They have some sort of secondary effect it seems.

>Misfortune 1, Magic 2
How risky is it to cast transformation?

I'm literally dying here in my game.

NewYearsNovices has become me and Caelum fighting against waves of AI

Welcome to Domg

Cirno, or whoever is playing Sauro, if you stale this turn I'm ending this game and assigning the win to myself, you lazy fuck.

>tfw you realise how shit your pretender build is and just want to go AI out of shame

The problem with MA Man is only your A2 Mothers are really useful in combat. N2A1 and N3 have their uses, but main battlemage isn't really one of them. Getting a bunch of A2 Mothers together for lightning spam / Stormpower > Thunderstrike with a Crone is decent, but only a quarter of your Mothers can contribute.

One thing to look at is Swarm. For 1 gem it kicks out a decent amount of AN damage, which is quite good against small amounts of highly armored enemies. I haven't looked at the new Summod spells in detail so can't really give an opinion there, but if they were added to buff the nation they are likely worth a look.

Logrian Wise Men are interesting - E/A gives you Rain of Stones, E2 gets you Strength of Giants / Legions of Steel / Blade Wind, whilst E1F1 gets magma bolts or Magma Eruption with Earth Boots.

Fuck. 90% sure I didn't script my main army, but have to wait 4 hours to check my turn

It's closer to 40-50%, mr quads.

Whats the best non-blood path overall?

Earth/Air/Astral

they say that even dead will die.

You mean sleep and poison cloud aren't useful at all? Even if you combine those with mass vine ogres from having Oak up and them using ivy crowns?

Earth, astral, water. There is also Fire and air.

So does a vampire at level 3 magic become vampire lord in CoE4?

Not that guy but I have heard people say sleep cloud is pretty good but I haven't played anyone who could cast it in a while.
>Fire being the best overall
>in any situation
Water is also a bit lackluster apart from a few spells.

Guess, I'll try it out before I go A- I mean get completely reckt.
I really fucked up pretender design wise, army composition wise, research priority wise and combat magic wise in this game, which is a shame because I was doing very good in expansion and my first war.

>Black Servant
5 Death Gems
>Axe of Hate
10 Nature Gems
>Flying Boots
10 Air Gems
>Ring of the Warrior
5 Blood Slaves

Is this thug worth the cost?

What are some fun settings to play CoE on?
Every game I play is a grindy pain.

Do you not have anything more durable than a black servant? He will get one-shotted by anything and everything with magic weapons, which includes some nations' PD at the 1-5 point level...

Abysia please stop the stall.

any D1 mage will auto-kill him out of script with dust to dust.

That's not a thug, that's a counter thug at best. And why would you use a black servant for that?

Not on my watch.

Whats the math on determining of a attack hits a shield vs not hitting it?

determining if a attack*

The manual is clear on it.

If you win the roll against defense without parry but lose it against defense+parry you get parried by the shield.

>10 def
>4 parry
>roll a 16 -> it hits
>roll a 9 -> totally dodged
>roll a 12 -> parried by the shield

How's that wish coming along?

This totally changes in summod, where N/A gives an extremely potent national combat spell.

There's also extremely good AOE 5 troop buffs for W/N, E/N, A/N, and Holy/N - giving a conjoined legions of steel, strength of giants, wave warriors, weapons of sharpness, moss body, elemental fortitude, luck, and twist fate - across 4 spells.

I'd honestly consider summod Man to be quite good, not top tier but certainly no longer weak. The amount of buffing they received is only really matched by the likes of Therados and Ur in summod.

Abysia, if you don't stop stalling every single turn, I'll send Gath gold to help him kill you faster.

i like the off setting its pretty good

ok, thanks!

For what purpose? That looks like a counterSC type. For dealing with PD, Black Servants can get by with just a shroud (if you have N9) and a shield. They've got Life Drain, so a Brand is a step down in survivability, if not killing power.

Whats the recruitable with the highest single level of magic? My money is on Atlantis?

Varies by path, but generally the best you can hope for as an Always is 4, although you can sometimes get as high as 6 if you count super lucky randoms.

Just filter the mod inspector by recruitable and sort by Magic. That'll show you the highest path dudes for each path, although it doesn't factor randoms.

Does berserk wear off?

only death can release one from his rage

It didn't used to, but I've seen a few players saying it does seem to stop after a while now.

Someone speculated units lose berserk and rout around 10 turns after the autorout kicks in. Don't know if that is the case or why it was changed.

Ten turns past autorout seems like a rare enough situation that the exception might have just gone unnoticed previously.

Did you guys ever play this game? When a unit with berserker gets to 100 fatigue, it loses 'gone berserker' until it gets less than 100 fatigue and it gets damaged.