Why did organs get so widely introduced in Churches in the West (in contrast with Orthodox parishes...

Why did organs get so widely introduced in Churches in the West (in contrast with Orthodox parishes, which generally have strictly a cappella music)? Organs are terrible, only music I ever heard where the organ was actually used to great effect is Toccata and Fugue (although I imagine Bach's other organ pieces are also great). Even instrumental organ music generally sounds awful, like in old movies and some productions of Shakespeare's plays, but as an accompaniment to choral, it is truly hideous. I can't think of any Christian hymn that's generally used with an organ, that wouldn't sound better without an organ.

youtube.com/watch?v=qDoyZtkrU0s
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eXfYIpA-cmo
youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8XE3j_c0U
youtube.com/watch?v=rNGz6LYY6_g
youtube.com/watch?v=O5isYiTEUE4
youtube.com/watch?v=2qLWw2zXg0k
youtube.com/watch?v=VRpKtZrSTeg
youtube.com/watch?v=jyhZaSso414
youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o
youtube.com/watch?v=Nnuq9PXbywA
youtube.com/watch?v=Sl3aOw61Fn4
youtube.com/watch?v=8fCOP0LsyHE
youtube.com/watch?v=GC0Lzzeda1I
youtube.com/watch?v=SzmvN9ld5ts
youtube.com/watch?v=sLwBlTaOGIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=M87JII5UN8U
m.youtube.com/watch?v=P2wNAWBPFiI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm rather glad you hate it.
You don't have to listen.

Have a blessed day.

>Anglo """"""""""""music""""""""""""""
stick to singing your religious hymns in Latin, cracka

You can't honestly tell me the organ actually makes this sound better
youtube.com/watch?v=eXfYIpA-cmo

Those hymns aren't originally in Latin, they're originally in Greek.

Greek and English both sound fine for Orthodox hymns
youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8XE3j_c0U

Besides, serious Anglo music sounds good.
youtube.com/watch?v=rNGz6LYY6_g

It's just that organ that I hate

>only music I ever heard where the organ was actually used to great effect is Toccata and Fugue (although I imagine Bach's other organ pieces are also great)

lol. It's called the King of Instruments for a reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=O5isYiTEUE4
youtube.com/watch?v=2qLWw2zXg0k
youtube.com/watch?v=VRpKtZrSTeg
youtube.com/watch?v=jyhZaSso414

The Bach piece is (predictably) great, but it would also sound goofy as hell if it was an accompaniment to singing.

The second piece is awful.

The third piece is awful except the quiet part

The fourth,which I am currently listening to, sounds awful thus far

This sounds way better than all of them (yes, even the Bach): youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60

A pity Catholics don't use that sort of music anymore. And desu I don't think the guitar stuff (at least for Church music) is any better than the organ)
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o

For choir to sound good you need bunch of great singers and conductor. For organ,you need one fit man for a job. Bach,for example,had lots of problems to find people to sing for his masses and cantatas.

Organs are incredible m8.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nnuq9PXbywA

Puritans did nothing wrong
Fuck instruments

No, just one person singling sounds better than an organ.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sl3aOw61Fn4

Did you read the entire OP?

Only good thing Puritans did, desu.

>Organs are terrible

Horrible taste in music, stop being such a pleb.

Literally the only good organ piece with choral was written for a movie

youtube.com/watch?v=8fCOP0LsyHE

The organ can only do super goofy (circus, for instance), or super ominous (and it must tread lightly with the latter, or else it too sounds goofy, like with music often used in silent movies).

The song, by the way, is an ominous variation on the religious march from the Godfather Part II (which, due to its first use, already connoted an ominous theme).

youtube.com/watch?v=GC0Lzzeda1I

>I [SUBJECTIVE OPINION][THING]
>Therefore [THING] shouldn't have [ACTION RELATING TO POPULARITY]

Organs can be great, they're the one instrument I think is acceptable in the liturgy (though a capella is always appropriate as well) and they have a very long history in the west.

I'm not a fan of when they overpower the choir, though. They can make things like the Te Deum sound incredibly powerful.

youtube.com/watch?v=SzmvN9ld5ts

Though without the organ sounds more solemn.

youtube.com/watch?v=sLwBlTaOGIQ

They had money to built and maintain organs. Not sure if Orthodox parishes had as much dosh.

youtube.com/watch?v=M87JII5UN8U

Orthodox definitely had money (think of the Byzantine and Russian Empires), it's just that the Orthodox have always mainly stuck with the more traditional a capella music (though you will rarely see Orthodox parishes with organs). The Western church was initially opposed to them as well and only started adopting them in the Middle Ages.

That's your opinion. I like organ music.

Why are Slav faces so weird.

The Orthodox Church did not use the organ for it's ceremonies because it's considered the most secular instrument the Byzantine Empire knew. It was used for imperial ceremonies and made it thus a profane instrument which wouldn't be appropriate for mass.

During the time of Charlemange the organ came to the west and they promptly used it for mass since that was the highest form of ceremony known to them.

that's actually what humans are supposed to look like

we're the genetic freaks here

Perhaps Saint-Saens Organ Symphony will change your opinion.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=P2wNAWBPFiI

>Veeky Forums has shit taste in /classical/
why am i not surprised?