Why is it the Catholics got so paranoid about laity reading the Bible...

Why is it the Catholics got so paranoid about laity reading the Bible, whereas the Orthodox continued to translate it any urge readership?

>We prohibit also that the laity be permitted to have the books of the Old or New Testament; we most strictly forbid their having any translation of these books.

The Church Council of Toulouse 1229

>No one may possess the books of the Old and New Testaments, and if anyone possesses them he must turn them over to the local bishop within eight days, so that they may be burned.

The Church Council of Tarragona 1234 AD

I know some Catholics feel like there was good cause for this, and that people reading the Bible is what started the Reformation. I have a different theory, though: I think banning the Bible is what made people think the RCC wasn't following it and had something to hide, and that's why you had all these Protestant interpretations of Scripture.

It also feels like the almost kitsch vibe of the Catholic Church today is a reaction to how much the RCC has screwed up and done awful things in the past, and now they are trying to appear friendly and kitsch at all costs, and it comes off as, well, fake.
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Onbr5pQoRtQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Bible is translated to fucking death from hebrew/aramaic to greek to latin.
>A lot of the original message couldve been twisted via lost in translation.
>Lay plebs want to translate it in their shitty languages.
>Original message gets lost further.
Quran logic basically.

The Greek and Latin translations were both done out of the Hebrew. The New Testament was originally in Greek, and the RCC didn't even read it in that, they translated it into Latin. Translating it from Greek into another tongue wouldn't distort it anymore than translating it into Latin.

They translated it directly from the original languages

The Latin translation of the Apocrypha was through the Greek because the Hebrew was lost.

Every vernacular translation of the Bible spawned a new heresy.

(You)

hahaha that fucking WEBM is gold.

>and for my next trick, I will turn wine into the blood of christ

So? They don't have to translate it into the vernacular out of the Latin, they can just use the Greek.

And that's bad enough.

How is translating it into a language other than Latin any worse than translating it into Latin?

>Why is it the Catholics got so paranoid about laity reading the Bible

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Onbr5pQoRtQ

You type a sentence in google translate and run it through various languages. See if it retains the original meaning by the time you translate back into english.

What does that have to do with it? That would be a problem with the Latin translation as much any other.

>Why is it the Catholics got so paranoid about laity reading the Bible, whereas the Orthodox continued to translate it any urge readership?
Because the Catholics wanted a Church universal, whereas the Orthodox made a church of this State, and church of that State, not unlike the Anglicans having a Bible translated in English because it's the church of England.

Now if the Catholics perform their Mass in Latin, recite the Psalms, confiteor, Niceno-Constantinopolitan in Latin, they're going to keep their Bible in Latin.

The laity can get a catechism, homilies and confessions in their local languages.

Given the disaster that the Reformation has been, we can see - in hindsight - that they weren't wrong.

>Have an autistic religious dogma highly dependent on some written material.
>It gets translated.
>Dogma now compromised and stupid debates ensue.

>Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed
herp

CALive is fucking terrible

>Given the disaster that the Reformation has been
The Reformation was divinely ordained

What, it was the Catholics who literally turned the Church into a state.

Also, by Catholic logic, the Apostles were in the wrong to translate Christ's words into Greek. And Jerome was wrong to translate that Greek in Latin.

>ah shit an argument that proves me wrong
>"it fuggin sux m8"

No, really it sucks. They often intentionally misrepresent Protestantism because they can't deal with the reality.

But it's not a myth, you can see the councils cited in the OP

>the Catholics who literally turned the Church into a state
They turned it into it's own state though, not as part of a state.

Yep, then proceeded to proclaim the Pope the ruler of all states with the Donation of Constantine. Gave right into Satan's Third Temptation.

The reality is none of the church fathers taught sola scriptura

They're not part of Scripture

Where in Scripture is the definition of scripture

2 Timothy 3:16

Did it tell me which books are scripture?