Why are performance-oriented inline-4's almost always 2.0L? Why not 2.4/2.5 for the extra displacement?

Why are performance-oriented inline-4's almost always 2.0L? Why not 2.4/2.5 for the extra displacement?

>Why are performance-oriented inline-4's almost always 2.0L?
rod to stroke ratio

displacement tax

Usually I4s bigger than 2.0L require balance shafts

Why not 3?

My crawler has a 5.7L 4cyl.

Does the Focus RS and MZS3 use balance shafts? Those are 2.3L

The S2000 also got a 2.2L engine later

Stroke that rod baby.

Yes the both do. Balance shafts arent bad, they rob the engine of a little power and efficiency, but they reduce first and second order engine imbalance.

People do balance shaft deletes, but I think that is silly personally, especially on a car like an S2000 that spins to 9000 rpm. I want that balance.

Shit im wrong, no shaft on a S2000 apparently

>86x86
/thread

Japan's engine taxation.

This

my performace oriated i-4 is 1.8l and I wouldn't have it any other way
>that fuel economy in a pure bred sports car

The Sentra Spec V is a 2.5L and the Evo X is a 2.4L

Three liters, bitches.

This for the most part.

Now the real question is, how come we don't get some sweet wide bore, short/normal stroke I4s like the Porsches used to have?

Because you faggots like turbos and V6/i6 engines

Smaller lighter things rev easier

>pure bred sports car
>i4 1.8l

86x86 is the best bore stroke combo

86 is the god number

>Why not 2.4/2.5 for the extra displacement?
More displacement makes the engine less smooth, weigh more, and take up more space. Those are all negative attributes outside the autistic statistics benchracing of Veeky Forums. For an example of Veeky Forums being Veeky Forums I refer you to this post:
>The Sentra Spec V is a 2.5L and the Evo X is a 2.4L

First example given is a shitbox that was just barely the fastest-accelerating non-turbo front-driver of its time; literally who cares the car.
Second example given is a car that doesn't exist; possibly poster confused a Ralliart with an actual Evo.