Culture is relative

>culture is relative

>culture

it pretty much is

military is objective when other side is slaughtered
technology is objective when it does it's function better than the other piece
government can be objective when it organizes their shit better

but for culture, by what value does one judge a painting?

if you see niall fergussons west vs rest 2 part documentary

>northern american culture>south america
>south bred into slave pop, culture dies out
>north america embaresses concept of republican free state civilisation, segregation lasts much longer, states unify into cohesive identity, outperform economically and thus their culture hangs around for longer
objectively better

thinks like platos slave being todays citizen
or a military warrior intellectual elite from sparta, these ideas still ring true today whilst the rest remains backwash

some ideas are eternal and cultures that trend through correlation or causation or agency last longer and are objectively better off through metrics like wellness etc of the society example justice

Culture is a meme. It's not a real thing. That's why after thousands of years scientists still can't agree upon a definition of it.

culture is THE meme

memes go around long enough and people will start calling it culture both on the internet and IRL

Whenever I'm talking to an atheist and bring up the argument from objective morality as evidence for god they will almost always deny the existence of objective morality since they don't like the implications of it, then they'll turn around and agree that cultural relativism is stupid.

You can't have your cake and eat it too atheists.

Well then what when one is a relativist in both subjects?

>My culture is better than your's
>Better
>Implying these things are quantifiable

What you actually mean to say, is "I like living in my culture more than in another one because I am used to it."

>Lack of understanding
I think the lack of understanding comes from the absolutist who can't wrap his head around the fact that morality is not quantifiable and that they can't prove that their God exists.

Lol good point hahah

user the reason why they say that objective morality does not exist, is because you failed to prove that it does exist.

>But "Muh murder is wrong >:("
Murder, means "unlawful killing". In this day and age, if two people had a duel and one person was killed it would be murder, but a few hundred years ago it would not be murder at all.

I've argued with an atheist that believed in objective morality

Literal autism

>"I like living in my culture more than in another one because I am used to it."
What about people who move to another country because they consider a foreign culture to be superior to their own?

Checkmate, reddit.

>user the reason why they say that objective morality does not exist, is because you failed to prove that it does exist.
>what is natural law
Google it.

>What you actually mean to say, is "I like living in my culture more than in another one because I am used to it."

However, we do observe mass migration from many different cultures into Western Culture and relatively little the other way around.

That's fine of you disagree that objective morality exists, but don't turn around and deny being a cultural relativist. That's the point of the post. I'm not interested in your quibbles of objective morality.

No; I like it not because I'm used to it but because in my view it's superior to others.

That's why you've got sandnigs and regular nigs emigrating to Europe and not the other way around

>It's a butthurt objectivist episode

What about the people who stay? They outnumber the people who move.

Chxm8

>What about the people who stay?
What about them. Stop moving the goalposts.

Well clearly there are people who buy into the "getting used to one's culture" department.

It is relative only when butthurt Westerners define culture as having liberal values.

Wouldn't you place that moreso on favorable economic conditions in the West rather than in their home countries?

please explain what a god has anything to do with morality

Judeo-christian tradition places God and his Commandments as the ultimate source of morality.

Fuck Judeo-Christian tradition, then. It's not the basis for Western civilization.

Yes it is. Is this a joke? Western Civilization started at the Barbarian Invasion (who were Arian Christians, by the by).

>I don't know what cultural relativism in terms of anthropology means

>It's not the basis for Western civilization
lol

>a delusional Jew and some sheep n' goat herders are the basis for an entire civilization

No.

They weren't, but their followers were.

>what is the Catholic Church, for 300, Alex

this thread reeks of betas who've been thoroughly cucked by capitalism.

keep mystifying and worshipping an object while calling yourself an atheist, dweebs

>What is Greek and Roman civilization

Also

>not knowing how Jeopardy works

Embarrassing.

An institution based roman culture and hellenism.
The west changed christianity more than it changed the west.

The West didn't exist prior to the Germanic tribes invading. It was precisely the cultures that were spawned from the Germanics that is the West:
France,
Britain,
Germany,
Spain,
Italy.

Cultural differences lead to material, pragmatic differences in people's lives.

You can't separate culture from economics, politics, history or biology. They are all linked and related.

Culture is simply behavior and beliefs about value, purpose, and appropriateness. If your culture believes eating pure lard makes the gods happy, that belief will have objective effects on the health and behavior of the group.

>by your own criteria, culture is a modifier on military strength and thereby can be judged

>not embracing relativity

>doesn't understand Stirner's beliefs
>accuses others of a lack of understanding
W E W

Nice.

>Niall Ferguson

Objective morality is for cowards who can't accept that people are responsible for their actions.