incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/atjauf
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/image/bOd9psy8J9hpj10JcOuIdQ/
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Random_Walk_Cave_Generation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Good thread.

Look, I just want my geometric shapes to have some giant lasers. Is that too much to ask?

Good start of the thread. God bless you for that, user.

Also, it looks cool.

The inventory is a bit more challenging than I thought it'd be. Finally got basic auto-placement implemented, but it doesn't yet accommodate for rotating items to fit or combining stacks of ammo.

Happy enough just to get to this point

Requesting in the new thread, Any artbros draw me an MC?

>Any artbros draw me an MC?
They're too busy slapping at eachother and pulling on eachother's hair and screaming.

I swear anyone who can't code should not be here and should be in /ic/.

>auto-placement
So you're not going for the RE4 "you have to manually place everything"? Does that mean you're going for the Human Revolution approach where the inventory is automatically organized to best-fit upon item pickup, or some kind of strange in-between? I think you should probably commit to one or the other.

Is there any way to blur the planes in the background progressively (i.e. with increasing values of blurriness)?
Applying filters to cameras just blurs the whole background evenly, which is not the solution I'm looking for.
I've messed around with shaders a little, so I know this is possible using Mesh Renderers and Shaders, but I was wondering can a shader be written to do this same thing, albeit on a 2D Sprite instead of a 3D plane?

Also a follow-up question; do you guys do color-balance in-engine or do you bake color by drawing it that way?
Seems like it would be too much work for nothing, should you decide that a particular color doesn't work for the area.

Much appreciated.

What engine?

You didn't have to manually place everything in RE4. RE4 auto-placed all items until there were no possible fits, in which case it gave you the opportunity to re-organize to make room.

Unity

>bringing drama from the old thread
You know how I know you're a trolling faggot?

Those character sprites are fucking choice my man.

A little peek into the mind of the "artists" around here >if there's anything I love more than art it's COMPLAINING AND ARGUING

thx

>Those character sprites are fucking choice my man

Thanks dude, really appreciate it

>half the posts are "woe is me i am just too lazy to get any work done pls help"
Disgustingly familiar

How does a system like this work anyway?

Not making that kind of game but I've always wondered.

it's always funny how much work it gets to make inventory working, while it's not so spectacular to watch, when it's finished. I'm saying that, cause I'm newbie dev and making eq took too much of my time. Anyway, looks good. And I like your artstyle.
On other hand, I haven't been posting in a long time, so here's some random shitty critter progress.

>you're not allowed to talk about my shitposting once we're in a new thread ;_;
kys

Got another major part of Dixie's core gameplay mechanics working: The Showdown!

This is really similar to Mayhem League's arenas, albeit a little bit more flexible in the spawn location. Basically, throughout each level there will be these special areas which hold some sort of significant item (typically a Core, which is sort of like the Jiggy of Dixie). When you approach the pedestal, you are sealed inside a barrier, DMC-style, and you have to clear all the enemies to escape, which also drops the barrier around the pedestal. Right now there's no real visual flair on any of this, shit just pops into existence, I'll do that later.

Enemies come in waves, waves can specify all sorts of attributes, blah blah blah.

Once the showdown is cleared, that clear state is saved and it can't be triggered again. If, for some reason, you clear an arena without collecting the Core, it will stay cleared. This way, I can also put non-saved stuff behind showdown walls (for example, level exits or collectible weapons) without the arena being re-run each time.

Also, as a corollary, the Core asset is pretty much done. Touch it to collect it, its state is saved. It's like a tube filled with Core Shards (the 'music notes' of Dixie, I guess), and when you gather 20 shards you can make a full Core.

So does the inventory automatically organize to best fit or not? Plopping items in without reorganizing the preexisting items isn't "best fit".

>tfw I broke an unspoken rule of gamedev
>tfw I have a plan on how to fix it, but I'm not sure if it'll work

Anyone can help me?
I'm struggling with procedural generation of a map...

Posting the poll in this thread too.

Anyways, here is another go at polling for the next jam, but rules are different for this poll.
poal.me/atjauf

>1.You vote to remove options.
Vote the shit one's out, that you definately don't want to participate in.

>2.In the first round, which starts now, everyone can add additional options. In the next rounds, no one can add any additional options - options are determined from the previous voting round.
This, first round here, is the chance to add options. In each round, we vote out the jam themes until only one is left.

>3.At the end of the poll, 50% of the highest voted options are knocked out. 50% of the lowest voted will become the options in the next round.
If the amount of options doesn't divide properly with 2(two), then the option which sits on the fence, will be included in the next round.

I included some options to populate the list - feel free to add new options.

----------------------

There is no hurt in trying, right. I reckon that with this poll, we might be able to settle on a theme that not everyone will have strong feelings against. In the worst case scenario, its just a huge waste of time.

>that picture
>shitpost about jam polls even though we already know what we're doing
delete yourself

More specific.

>build from scratch
>use Unity

I'm a filthy engine dev, so I would be interested otherwise.

I'm trying to make a procedural map like a simplistic version of the original Binding Of Isaac...
You know, all the room have the same size and all.
I'm trying to make it on a two dimension table, but that doesn't work...

>shitpost about jam polls even though we already know what we're doing
only thing you know from previous polls is the dedication of lolifags and memefags

HI SHITPOSTER

boards.fireden.net/vg/search/image/bOd9psy8J9hpj10JcOuIdQ/

kill yourself!

looking good, dixiedev.

I don't like your central hitsparks though.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

what's the matter?
can't stand the sight of a strong nordic qualitycrusader

So in Isaac you've got all your rooms on a grid, and each of them can be represented by a single value because they're room types.

Store your room data however you like (text files are easy to edit but do whatever you prefer) and then assign the data for each of those rooms to a value. Now you've got your rooms, so the next step is to generate your map o' rooms. You should be able to use a two dimensional array for this, with each cell containing a room value. How you randomize the cells is up to you.

Roguebasin/the roguebasin wiki has a lot of map generation techniques, go there to get inspired.

Please die in real life

Denial, thy name is (you)

what
explain yourself

I didn't mean to post that.

The player movement speed definitely needs to be adjusted. I will definitely make it slower though.
The animation to open/close doors is a good idea! I might just do this, but maybe not for demo day - I'm trying to program as many features as possible and draw as little as possible between now and then.

Seemed appropriate.

All the first part is done, it's the randomization that I struggle with...

Thinking of making a 2.5D metroidvania rpg, is this doable for one person or should I not bother?

So this is offtopic derailing by a known fulltime resident autistic shitposter correct?

I suggest a drunk walk algorithm to start. It's the way I got acquainted with procgen.

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Random_Walk_Cave_Generation

What engine are you working in?

Assume 5 years of dedication.

there's like 3-5 OMAs doing metroidvania RPGs right in these threads

I don't think any of them are doing 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds though, but it shouldn't be that much more difficult.

yes

>mfw I make game
>mfw It's basically feature-complete
>mfw It's a singleplayer game, but I want to change it into a multiplayer game
>mfw networking has always been my Achilles heel
>mfw I know a guy who knows how to program the networking part, but I don't have enough money to pay him
>mfw I could pay him by starting a patreon
I'm not sure if that'll work though

That's not exactly what I try to make...
At all...

I mean I try to make it like a zelda dungeon you know? With rooms that are connected directly

I'm doing it with game maker, but I can easily change to love2d of pygame...

I know what game you're talking about.
And it's a really bad idea.

Use something like this to create the layout of rooms, then randomly choose a room for each spot.

Need some dark music? Whats your email?

Thanks

I'm not confused about what you're trying to make, you're failing to see how the drunk walk could be applied to what you're attempting to implement. It's just a way to get you thinking about methods of approaching procgen. Individual cells don't have to be walls or floors as the example states, they can be any value you choose (like room values).

i.e. use the fucking drunkwalk that I linked

what game
i'm curious

how would you make low poly that looks like the snes star fox

the space sim with simple grafx

very carefully

That's exactly why I'm probably not gonna use it...
But he tried.

I think I'll just keep trying other ways...

...seriously?

ah that one

off the top of my head:
vertex rounding
rendering at a fuck-low resolution (240p? what did the SNES put out?)
using 100% emissive textures with no lighting at all

Do it all trough code. That way it'll be so painful to add more polygons that you'll just use as few as possible

You say you want it to be like Isaac, which uses premade rooms with light randomization (item drops, champion items) in a randomly mapped dungeon grid.

The drunk walk provides you with a dungeon grid to be populated with room values. Which part of it is not conceptually suited to what you're attempting to achieve?

Problem is you'll get only room that can go to absolutely every room around it.
In Isaac you can have a set of room that are close but won't allow you to go from one to another.
(not sure if I'm clear)

I wish there was some way to split component on an gameobject into categories in Unity.
I have trillion components attached to a game object and it's messy as fuck and putting them onto other transforms is not an option.

Any user want's to exchange follows on tumblr/twitter? If so, just post link to your profile and I will follow you.

I'm not dead yet and I've decided bosses need to be more bullet hellish

your game looks amazing.
but damn that popup is pretty annoying, it's ammo, you already know that, it shows the sprite, you also got near it and interacted with a key or whatever, of course you want to fucking pick it up...

remove it please

That's not a limitation of the algorithm, it's a limitation of how you're thinking about implementing it. You can add additional restrictions to the algorithm that check the amount of adjacent cells and try a new direction if there are too many, for example. There will be no tailor-made solution to precisely the procedural generation you're after, you'll have to learn to alter existing techniques or invent your own.

Oh shit, you're alive! Welcome back. That boss is looking juicy.

Yeah I guess you're right.
Actually I have kind of an algorithm that I would be proud of if there wasn't bugs in it, probably due to the fact that I'm not experienced enough...

Yeah inventory can be surprisingly daunting, especially when you're dealing with upgradeable/customizeable items.

Yeah I agree that it's not ideal. I'll likely be doing what some other games have done where you can just "A" through the dialogue to skip it and just pick the item up. The dialogue itself needs to be there for instances where you're examining drawers/cabinets/boxes and the item is hidden inside, but being able to just press your action button twice to skip the dialogue would probably help this issue.

Well in my case, you've basically got an array that stores all of your items, what their location is in the grid, their size, rotation, etc.

When you pick up an item, the game creates a ds_grid in the background, populates it with all of your existing items, marking cells as "occupied" if there is an item in that cell, and then uses spreadsheet-style data ranges to find rectangular areas that do or don't contain items.

This will need to be expanded upon in the future to include item rotation and stacking.

I appreciate the offer! I'm a composer myself, so I'll be handling my own music.

I was kind of back and forth on whether or not I would do a best fit inventory or an RE4-esque inventory. In my opinion the latter is better for a game like this, as some people prefer to organize their inventory so that it is easy to navigate quickly. E.g. always keeping your handgun in the top left corner so you can quickly switch to it.

I've always preferred being able to organize my own inventory by ammo/healing items/etc. so I'll be doing nearest fit, and allowing the player to organize if there isn't room for the item.

I've devved for hundreds of hours and I look up tutorials and fuck up everything on the first attempt. Keep at it, I assure you you'll get it. The best way to learn something is to struggle with it.

Yeah, but that's also hard as hell

Everything worth it hurts at least a little bit.

Sound like it's comming from a masochist

I just realized no matter what type of game I choose to dev it'll take forever. Dying to do an RPG though.

Welcome to game dev.

The statue is the only good thing in this pic.

>The statue is the shittiest thing in this pic

there, fixed your shit taste for you

I like the details section the most, they're all simple ways to add damage to things.

Not if you're smart. The only hard part is sitting down and focusing. If you're not smart or can't focus you shouldn't attempt game dev though.

>tfw to intelligent to gamedev

The flaming rocket thing looks like clay, the barrels and lava lamps have terrible two-dimensional shading and the animations are too repetitive.

I can't focus at all, but I'm gonna make it no matter how much it takes

the advice is good this time

reminder to vote in the poll
poal.me/atjauf
poal.me/atjauf
poal.me/atjauf

Details can be found here:

I have seen intelligent programmers who couldn't focus and had no work ethic. Novices who can focus and teach themself things become far stronger gamedevs than self professed genius programmer types and savants who ride 100% off talent but no discipline. Sometimes you get a combination of the two, but it's rare and everyone wants to believe they are that combination.

post more of these

I miss J-List ads

Details can be found here:

start small and finish something

Stop shitposting, fag.

tfw dumb and no work ethic

Its super obvious you're yet another shitposter who lives in agdg but has never made a game in his life. So please end it. Your life that is. End it.