Backup cameras will be mandatory in the US and Canada starting in 2018

Backup cameras will be mandatory in the US and Canada starting in 2018.

Does this mean I won't be able to get a car without a shitty infotainment system after this year?

Some cars have the backup camera display on the rear view mirror.

That's a brutal indictment of just how shit American drivers are.

Not to mention how poor rear visibility has become- and it'll only get worse now that cameras are standard.

It's not about safety. It's a disguised tactic to standardize features which are necessary for a self-driving car.

You say that like a car that drives itself is a bad thing.
Not only do the normies just let their car drive themselves and not shit up the roads, BUT your car can pick you up from the bar, or find it's own parking space.
Sounds like a good thing to me.

>implying self-driving cars are bad
teslas

teslas

>Some cars have the backup camera display on the rear view mirror.
This.

Fuck off Grandpa boomer

They're not all going to be fast Teslas, you know

I don't think this is a good direction to go in.

Fan fuckin tastic. A few years ago lady nearby with her newer Kia sedan (which has high rear end and she was like 5 feet tall) backed right into my car leaving her driveway, depending 100% on the backup camera and not checking any mirrors. Distracted talking to her passenger.

She gave me $300 cash and a bag of Hersey kisses. I didn't want an insurance claim on my old shitbox, luckily it was a dent that could be popped and buffed out.

Nonetheless, too much dependance on back up cameras, imo. Learn to use your FUCKIN MIRRORS.

>Source: My ass

*parked car. a nice slow crunch into my fender.

>ABS=you're supposed to slam on the brakes
>traction control=you can be a shitty driver in the snow and "not worry"
>this=people don't look back anymore

oh no the consumer is getting more and better technology for the same price what a fucking disaster. Go buy a Pinto or something

I didn't say they are, but that's what it is. Government auto policy in the future will focus more on making the market safer for self-driving cars. Part of that means regulating regular cars to be more automated. In the long run, it hurts companies who don't build automated cars, which is the intention. It'll be rarer for consumers to find cars without expensive aids features, and eventually harder to find non-automated cars in general.

>ABS=you're supposed to slam on the brakes
Yes, that's how you get the best performance from ABS. What's your point?

>Land of the free
>Can't even choose the car equipment

>not having an infotainment system

What are you poor?

Besides you can turn the screen off and leave it off

i don't have a backup camera on my econobox but I don't see why this would be detrimental other than a big ugly tablet on the headunit

i'm always paranoid of some dumbass tying their shoes right behind my car for some reason or anything else that's below waist height. It's just literally impossible to see.

as long as the infotainment system as buttons and not that touch shit for everything, I dont mind them.

Shouldn't you be aware of what is around your car before you get in it and back up?

It's not like someone is going to be like

>HEY THAT GUY IS GETTING IN HIS CAR
>IM GONNA TIE MY SHOELACES BEHIND HIS CAR

obviously if you're backing out of your house its more of an issue but in any case just check to see if its clear.

design is for people who slam on the breaks out of fear or bad habit.

Try
>ABS is superior in performance for 99.5% of drivers
instead

honestly i wish my didnt have the infotainment shit

touch screens are bullshit when you are trying to drive (no feedback). the only reason i can even deal with it is there is physical buttons on my steering wheel to control volume and change tracks

yeah I always do a tire check before I start my car but I also live in insurance fraud capital of Canada, never mind things like cats/dogs or dumb parents letting their small kids run ahead in a parking lot .etc

like most of these are just overly paranoid crap, and I'm stupid enough to drive without a dashcam anyways just because it'd seem weird when I've driving other people around.

>ABS is superior for 99% of women and faggots who cant drive

>Shouldn't you be aware

Yes, you should check. But niggers let their kids play in the street and one could wander back there while you are starting your car.

>touch screens are bullshit when you are trying to drive (no feedback). the only reason i can even deal with it is there is physical buttons on my steering wheel to control volume and change tracks

I actually completely agree with you

HOWEVER

bitches be miring touchscreens, I get compliments all the time

My next car is going to be a 2013+ chevy camaro v6 so it's basically a requirement to get a backup camera... moreso than other cars.

Ayo hol up, is that a Sonic? I have a Sonic LTZ myself

>It's a disguised tactic to standardize features which are necessary for a self-driving car.

Not at all
Its a disguised tactic to standardize features that allow corporations and governing bodies to track your every move.

Auto braking is supposed to become mandated in the near future too right?
This is why we are seeing a ton of cars coming out with the technology?

>ITT: People who have never used a backup camera saying they're shit
They're fucking amazing,

Sanic is life

that is so shitty

and buying new is the only option here in the rust belt for a car that's actually clean. Fuck cars, I'm just going to choose my next car like an appliance now.

Oh Jesus... one of my friends drives a Chevy with that touch screen and it's possibly the worst thing I've seen in a vehicle.

This

this guy gets it, but that's just old news now isn't it? wave hi for google! hi google! hi gook moot!

The key is to own two cars:

One you buy, full well knowing it's going to get salted up and rusted out. A comfy SUV does well for this role.
The other you keep in the garage until there's no salt on the roads. This is the fun car you care about.

and 95% of everyone else too

People dont seem to believe it, or they just dont care.
The boiling frog.

People are actually installing insurance apps that track their driving to get a "discount".
Once it becomes commonplace that you are being watched every single second of being in your car, they wont need you to voluntarily install an app or plug in an ODB2 adapter.

The insurance companies will just buy the info directly from the car companies.
You were going too fast, or deemed to do something "wrong" they will deny your claim.

It will happen and there is nothing we can do about it.

>The key is to own two cars:
I know we have a lot of space anyways in North America but the idea of having *two* cars for one person is just crazy to me.

why do we still bother liking cars now beyond its use as transportation

Im /g/ and Veeky Forums and ive been increasingly feeling the same way about both.
Its a slow crushing feeling, I cant believe how much everything has changed in the last decade.

I'm not sure why Veeky Forums wants to go back to 1999. Cars are so much better today. Sure there are a lot of garbage infotainment systems. Mazda probably has one of the best. But in the future car manufactures won't need to develop them as Google and Apple will be doing it for them. I just don't understand why Veeky Forums is so autistic.

Maybe you shouldn't buy such a shit car? Toyota has garbage infotainment but it's atleast usable

Ontariofag here, I own two cars I want to keep nice and one winter beater. Its hella $$ to keep up with repairs and insurance and sticker renewal.

I want a truck baldy but the current winter beater has to die first. I can't do four cars.

so these laws don't pass without tacit approval from the major car companies
meaning gm/ford/chrysler/toyota/honda all signed off on this

safety/emissions/economy is all an agreement between the companies and gov't and I guess you just have to trust they will never go too far against one another

it's not hard if you own a driveway

that is, not renting an apartment
if you do live in an apartment, you should live near enough to where you work that you can choose between a DD and fun car based on your situation

>Besides you can turn the screen off and leave it off

Some car infotainment screens are harder to turn off than others because they turn back on the next time the car starts. And some don't have a dedicated fuse to just pull. Such a pain because the bright ass screens are very distracting.

what a load of shit. A mirror is just fine for backing up

I have a summer car. A daily. A winter beater and my old daily rotting next to the garage. Feels good being rural north American

>cameras in your car become mandatory

They say that, but in reality they just want a camera in your car the CIA can hack in to and spy on you with

It's really not expensive. Get an Explorer or something for $2k on CL, put maybe $600/yr into in (tags/maint/insurance), and you don't have to drive your car that you actually like through the salt slush.

Walking to work is god-tier. It's really great when all your miles and gas are for things you wanted to do, not driving 20mi back and forth to work every day. Plus a walk is really good for you, both mentally and physically.

If you've got the space, is there really any reason not to keep a bunch of cars?