U.S. Cars Must Get 55 MPG By 2025

U.S. Cars Must Get 55 MPG By 2025.
Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)
Will this happen and how Turbos, Hybrids... Or Trump repeals this law?

Other urls found in this thread:

basalt.today/tags/basalt-fiber-insulation/
slideshare.net/sharadah22/basalt-fibre
youtube.com/watch?v=r-QzhLUmcoU
autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=The-Story-of-Turboing-a-Hybrid-Prius-Part-1&A=112194
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_silicon
kidsandcars.org/child_story/cameron-gulbransen/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Aygo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We're going to end up like Cuba with people driving 50 year old shitboxes because nobody can afford a new car.

Mazda already makes a hybrid 3 that gets 80mph.
Plus all their tech is making huge strides in efficiency and power.
Turbos cant make good fuel economy. Thats been proven over and over.
Toyota and mazda will dominate.
Chevy likely will too with their electric cars.

>mph
mpg

They had cars that could do this. The CRX HF and the Geo Metro. The problem is now they'll want cars that get 55 mpg that also have all the government mandated bullshit along with power steering, a/c, and all the dumb power stuff that used to be options but now you can't escape.

>Mandatory reverse cameras
Fuck my shit up

OP', Hybrid with ultra cap (instead of battery) regenerative braking charges it. Engine stops at stop lights and stop signs, runs of electric motor till up to speed.... Basically a Prius with a capacitor instead of a battery,
No full electric mode... but 55mpg

They could get 55mpg if they would go back to making cars that didn't weigh >3500 pounds.

>power steering
>bullshit

it will easily happen

if a manufacturer is too incompetent to build a car to meet those reqs they dont deserve to sell cars here

They'll build hybrids with huge batteries to carry the car through the the test mostly on electric power. It's how they pass the european test.

This, been thinking about Baslat allot. Made a thread about it a while back, could reduce weight all natural easier to work with than carbon fiber, also cheaper.
basalt.today/tags/basalt-fiber-insulation/

found the millennial

>you're a millenial for pointing out that power steering has been a standard feature (not an option) on virtually every consumer car since the late 90's

theres a surprising amount of boomers on here I think

they all want cars to be like 50 year old pieces o shit

I can see it now
>stopped at a red light
>have to make a turn
>having to put all your weight into turning the car because you have some 4k lbs on your steering column to push

>2025 honda civic
>I'm so totally glad I'm having such a hard time turning my wheels at a stop, thank god I didn't put 20 bucks into that power steering system
>its for fucking babbies
>*pulls muscle turning steering wheel*

or
>go any speed above 0mph
>steering becomes exponentially easier

>also what is gearing

>purposely doing something harder for no fucking reason

Basalt is used mostly for rebar , concrete reinforcement. But would be great for automotive.
>wait WTF is there a shit posting war going on here?

slideshare.net/sharadah22/basalt-fibre

But the problem is people have to buy a number of those hybrids to average out those who buy Miatas or other cars. People would rather buy trucks, SUVs, minivans, or muscle cars before even considering a shitty cuck hybrid.

I'm here to tell you that driving a ~2000lb car with no power steering is comparable to a 6000lb car with the right gearing
>its not hard unless you're an effete faggot
>additionally the CIA can't turn off your shitty electric power steering and kill you if you don't have it

People buy the shit out of hybrids and EVs.
Are you thick?

But it isn't for no fucking reason you idiot.
It's because it's perfectly manageable without having a needless gadget attached as one more thing to go wrong.

power steering was invented to turn your wheels no matter the speed so you don't need to do that stupid shit

>its perfectly manageable because I said so even though every car has it

>one more thing to go wrong
hardly its a simple fucking hydraulic pump or an electric motor even if it fails the steering still works

Important to remember that the CAFE mpgs are different to EPA advertised mpgs. When CAFE says 36mpg, that is equivalent to 27mpg advertised.

This is because the CAFE uses an old 1970s methodology, while EPA uses a more authentic real world conditions test.

The 55mpg that they want by 2025 is actually only 39mpg.

They'll just make an electric suburban. It will count for 600 mpg and they'll keep making SUV and trucks.

>2025-50=1985
>we'll all be driving 80's Jap wedgeboxes and malaise-era 150hp barges
Fuck yeah, I can deal with this.

>This is because the CAFE uses an old 1970s methodology, while EPA uses a more authentic real world conditions test.

for what reason

oh boy 2% market share so popular

>power steering was invented to turn your wheels no matter the speed
so were steering boxes and gears
want to guess which one is less failure prone?
>also turning your wheels when stopped is completely retarded and wears them down at mach 7

>gearing
>stupid shit

oh, you're just all around retarded
don't forget to get a car with parallel park assist, having to control your car is for fags :^)

>WAIT WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?
so confused.....

Or no wait my math is retarded, that would be '75. So we get to go back to 7.5L V8s making 100hp.

BRING IT ON FAGETS

CAFE was created as a reaction to the oil embargo, and they made up a test that they have just never changed.

EPA changes their measurements all the time.

Youre high dude.
I can turn a corner without seeing a prius.
Not to mention leaf, civic, tesla, volt, etc etc

>basalt fibers
huh. neat!

Not everyone lives in SF
Go look at the actual US stats

>Basically a Prius with a capacitor
...a FLUX capacitor?

Ok
>hybrid electric vehicles in the United States, with over 4 million units sold through April 2016, is the second largest in the world after Japan (over 5 million). American sales of hybrid electric vehicles represent about 36% of the more than 11 million hybrid sold worldwide through April 2016.

Turbocharged hybrid.

Silly american, Europe is pretty serious about banning the sale of new ICE cars by 2025.

And now let's actually look at the relevant bit of that article, shall we?

>Hybrid sales in the American market achieved its highest market share ever in 2013, capturing 3.19% of new car sales that year, and dropped below 2% by April 2016.[4][6][7]

get fucked.

They're gonna stall when the time actually comes. Lots of car brands have a limited electric range, and will also have it in 2025.
It's gonna cost a lot of people their jobs, but maybe they just won't care?

If they wanna have people buy electrics, just tweak the taxes and let people buy whatever they want desu.

youtube.com/watch?v=r-QzhLUmcoU

>millions of sales
>not popular.
Of course the percentage is small. There are more offerings of ICE engines that hybrid and EV combined.
Fucking idiot. The percentage means nothing

mod says we can't talk about trump

Well, at this year's Geneva Motor Show pretty much everyone agreed that the diesel engine is dead. Everyone is already preparing the hybrid and electric range.
Mercedes announced 10 new hybrid models by 2020 and just about every relevant car maker is going hybrid already

Found this a while back...
autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=The-Story-of-Turboing-a-Hybrid-Prius-Part-1&A=112194

The percentage means EVERYTHING, how the fuck else would you measure popularity?

>People buy the shit out of hybrids and EVs.
No, as I showed they largely ignore them, it's a tiny niche market and it's actually going DOWN lmao, it's a declining market.
Less than 2% of new cars but since the average car on the road is now over 10 years old the percentage of hybrid vehicles you actually see on the road isn't even 1%.
So when you said you see them all the time you either live in SF or some other liberal bubble and never get out, ot you were straight up lying.

I live in a rural NC town and see hybrids on a daily basis

I have for a long time and if anything theres more now than ever

not the guy you were talking to btw

theres even a Tesla running around now too

Hybrid sure, but they are still ICEs. Outright banning of the ICE just seems too strong and too early.
When ICEs lose market share there's gonna be no need to force anyone's hand, people will willingly switch to hybrids for the improved fuel economy (atleast in Europe) and to electrics for comfort and running cost.
The switch is going to happen faster if you rig taxes to favour hybrids and electrics strongly, which is the case in most markets.

>55mpg in test
My early 2000s NA econobox gets 60 in real life with a simple old otto-cycle engine.
With newer high compression atkinson engines, turbochargers and hybrids, 55mpg is a fucking joke.

Your little anecdote is irrelevant though, sales figures say consumers aren't interested.

The Prius has been around for 20 years now, it just isn't going to happen until gas prices reach $10 or so.

its cool just believe numbers instead of what actually goes on

>the greens in germany lobby for higher gas prices
>they want them to be 5€/l or 20$/gallon

like neil young said:

got fuel to burn, got roads to drive.

Its just a form of keeping the population in check, give your average joe a shitty v8 to wrench on and the man is content, these people lack a critical mind.

The problem is that cars weigh so much due to mandatory safety regulations, it's just not feasible to make an econobox under 1 ton nowadays if it's going to have 5 seats.

Yeah you're right I just believe some random guy on Veeky Forums's personal anecdotes instead of actual figures what could go wrong

It was build untill 2014, has 4 seats and 4 doors.
A facelift version of it is built today, but they didn´t actualy change much.
My one weights 850kg.

Electric cars and hybrids receive large chunks of government funding & tax incentives to make them affordable. Trump is cutting funds from many depts; what happens to the hybrid/electric market when suddenly it's unable to turn a profit? While at the same time the CAFE standards keep rising and rising every year? Something's gotta give.

now that is a sheeple mind at work folks

never think
always believe

Not really. I think that we just need an affordable EV capable of 500 miles on a full charge and things will change quite fast. The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV changed our perception about hybrids, the Opel Ampera did it, the BMW 330e did it, the E-Golf did it, the Golf GTE will do it...

We just need that 500 miles milestone and the ICE is dead.

>like neil young said:
Found the AARP member

>Golf GTE
I see so many of these around these days.

Trump ordered a midterm review of CAFE standards two weeks ago.

I like Basalt, but this might be a game changer....
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_silicon

My aren't you a feisty young rebel, little boy! You sure showed the establishment didn't you!

Hey sheeple, wake up! The US govt and car manufacturers are deliberately lying about hybrid sales numbers for some reason! In reality half of US cars are now hybrids, also the Prius sells 20 million units every year in the US alone! WAKE UP AND DON'T BELIEVE THEIR LIES

>Really ?

As if AARP is a bad thing, thinking about the song i went to jewtube to listen to it again and they deleted it, guess it's too much of an eye opener for the public.

More things will just get classified as light trucks i.e. crossovers, that won't be subject to the CAFE requirement for cars.

As a both a carguy and a libtard, I seriously hope Trump kills this dumb idea.

Pretty sure keeping my 90's shitboxs properly maintained and not driving it like a retard is way better for the environment than buying a new prius every 2 years.
MUH CHINESE BATTERIES

Love backup cameras, but they don't need to be mandatory. Whole reason this is happening is because some burger ran over their kid with their burger mall crawler.

kidsandcars.org/child_story/cameron-gulbransen/

Obama already locked it in.

How does a metric as basic as MILES PER GALLON even have room for debate? Jesus fucking christ, these liberals are beyond help. You put a gallon of fucking gas in the car and travel a mile. Count how many miles you traveled and write it down. What is so difficult about this?

Because if you put a gallon of gas in your car in Leadville Colorado at 30F you'll get a different result to New Orleans at 80F.

I don´t see any reason to fit one in a econobox with decent visibility.
The metric shows how much distances a car drives with a certain amount of fuel, the debate is how this distance is driven.
If you simulate 50mph highway driving, you will get a different number than for 85mph on the highway or driving in the city.

>U.S. Cars Must Get 55 MPG By 2025.
That's the average for the ENTIREcompany's car lines and not the average for each separate make and model. Of course, the greater the failure, the greater the fines. But GM can still put out a new car that gets 1 mpg as long as it is able to sell enough ultra-hybrids that get over 55 mpg to make the average of all new cars sold to be 55 mpg or better.

We'll continue to see more load shifting where the cars don't come with spare tires and jacks because there's a little bit of mpg gain in the base model of each make that is being evaluated for the EPA MPG requirement. By forcing the customers to pick spare and jack as an option, that puts the onus on the customer.

Having tiny engines run hard with turbos is going to be an increasing trend to gaining MPG. Engines wear out sooner that way.

Electric cars will be pushed because they give the company huge MPG credits as well as tax credits. Elon Musk / Tesla makes a handsome profit selling its eco credits and that will continue as long as buying eco/carbon credits is cheaper than EPA fines.

More cars might try Mazda's capacitor regenerative braking solution. That does significantly boost MPG. But it has the downsides of the added cost and weight.

Cars will be less and less repairable after collisions due to weight saving structural design changes. So the MPG penalty is indirectly forced onto the consumer this way as well.

I know, but thnx for explaining it...

Except that you can archive 60mpg with a naturaly aspirated engine that doesn´t even rev high and without any special hybrid/regenerative braking system.
Oh, and you can carry a full siezed spare tire as well as a jack and a normal wrench.

The only thing to change is the size of the car, as long as you don´t built 2 metric ton heavy landyachts, 55mpg is a fucking joke.

we're already getting there. in 2015, the average age of US cars was 11.5

And I know I'm seeing more and more cars frum the turn of the millennium around. Since gas prices went down, I see more late 90's/early 00's Buicks, and Crown Vic/Grand Mercs are everywhere too.

>600 mpg
how do you propose they do that mr engineer man

Most of those are rentals and fleet purchases.

The Aygo does get 60 mpg/ 3,9L/100km (highway) with 2005 technology.
It doesn´t even feature direct injection or any other modern stuff except for toyotas VVT-i system.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Aygo

>will be less and less repairable after collisions due to weight saving structural design changes.
Aluminum Ford F-150, I'm lookin' at you...

Nigger it was standard by the early 70's and an option since the early 60's at least.

What about fuel economy muscle cars, e.g., electric Dodge CHARGEr.

>overpowered cars that can´t corner
There is the Tesla Model S/X and soon there will be the Model 3.

in-laws have a manual steering S10 I drive occasionally. It's not hard, but the steering turns lock-to-lock are over 9000. Hope you don't have to swerve for something in the road because you're going to have 1.5 turns in before you start changing direction.

Anyone ever stop to think WHERE all this electricity is coming from? Depending on where you live, you could be ramping up the production of fossil fuel burning power plants...

yeah, that's not gonna happen.

cars have gotten really fucking big this past decade too.

civics are well over a foot longer and like half a foot wider now.

>civics are well over a foot longer and like half a foot wider now.
>muh bigger cars are bad

I want the boomers to leave.

I think like as well, and I am by no deffinition a boomer, I am a late millenial.

>muh biggers cars are bad

you are on Veeky Forums; pigfat can't turn used to be a well respected meme here.

>What about fuel economy muscle cars,
It'll never happen the way you want it to.
Cylinder deactivation is the only feasible way and that is
A: carrying around dead weight
B: waiting for a computer to reactive cylinders (shit throttle response)
C: another component to fail

If you build a modest classic V8 engine with 3-350 hp you can achieve pretty decent mpg by the sheer lack of throttle you need to keep it moving. although you'll never see acceptable modern mpg.

Weight and aerodynamics are what hold back classic muscle cars in the MPG department, modern ones aren't as bad.

As a matter of fact in the 70's when the "semi-fastback" design came into style most cars gained like 1-2 mpg.

this pic related.

I have no respect for Veeky Forums because any car they can't have is shit.

If it's RWD it's pigfat cantturn or in the case of the Miata, slow as shit.
If it's FWD it's pigfat cantturn. If it's a civic it acceptable, not because it's good but because that's all Veeky Forumscucks can afford.

This.

I see cobalts, neons, devilles, old F-150's, Buick centuries, every where. DESU, I like their boxier design concept better than the bubbly chubby kid designs of today.

2000-2011 had the best designs. From Mercedes to Chevy, they all had the right idea. Sure a lot were ugly, but had they carries those concepts into today's day and age they could have perfected it.

Also the mass spawn of crossovers really makes me feel ill. They are fucking disgusting.

>If it's RWD it's pigfat cantturn or in the case of the Miata, slow as shit.
>If it's FWD it's pigfat cantturn.
No one actualy belives this...