Have you come to the realization that manuals are foolish/immature and that automatics are superior? If so, when was it?

Have you come to the realization that manuals are foolish/immature and that automatics are superior? If so, when was it?

For me it was about age 22.

When my buddy lost a race to me against my Charger in his M3 because he sucks at shifting.

For me it was when I wasn't born in the US and didn't feel the need to fetishize something extremely trivial and boring.

When did you learn to select fonts on Photoshop?

Autos would be almost fine if they

A. had no fucking creep
B. Had no fucking drive slap
C. Be predictable when they decide to shift

If you have a newish car and the only spirited type driving you want to do is drag style (or none at all) then automatics are superior. If you prefer them in any other circumstance you're just lazy and/or dumb

>Race
>Actually was straight line murica drag from point A to B

The keks

Yep, that's a race big boy. Have fun driving your manual 0.3L eurobox

>he doesnt know the fun you can have in a .3L manual shitbox

>any other circumstance
Sticks come second to autos in almost every single circumstance. Acceleration, city driving, highway driving, fuel economy, reliability. The only place, and I mean the ONLY place left in the world for sticks are on short tracks. And then they get blown out of the water by semi-autos.

That damage control

What is the name of this meme?

Either nu-male or b8

>damage control: the post

Besides the fact that everything you said except city driving is a factually incorrect opinion, you're half right

>denial, the reply

funny laugh cat

>actually believing a shitty fagmobile is ANY fun
It's time to stop posting Hans

You lie.

I'm 28 and I still haven't figured it out.
I currently own two manual vehicles, and every car I've ever purchased has been manual.

Help me Veeky Forums I have a problem.

It was when I asked "Why don't they just make a manual that automatically shifts at the best point way faster than a human can?", and was told that it already existed.

You're wrong and unless its a 100k$+ car thats not happening

Prove it, bitch

>everything you said except city driving is a factually incorrect opinion
you know you can look up numbers that show all of that true, right? statistically proven facts aren't opinions.

>foolish
>immature

okay whatever man

Assmad manualcuck detected. Enjoy replacing your clutch every 40k miles!

if you replace your clutch every 40k miles then you don't know how to drive a manual transmission

>40k miles
Man you must really suck at driving stick. No wonder you drive an automatic, you're literally handicapped.

>I've never driven a manual: the post

But how does the computer know if I want to floor it but keep the revs low to maximize engine efficiency, or floor it and keep the revs high cause I'm overtaking?

I have owned multiple stick shift cars and the clutch lasted at least 80k to 100k in all of them

If you say so

Many DCTs have paddles for stuff like that.

Want to keep things low for efficiency
>Put in D
Want to floor it and be speedy man
>Put it in S
Wow. My car accelerates faster and sacrifices fuel economy when in sport

This.
I burned my first one out at 30k when I learned it. The very next one is now on 160k.

I've never had to replace a clutch after 10 years of daily driving. If you're toasting a clutch at 40k then you're either abusing it or riding it constantly.

>flooring it but keeping the revs low
>lugging your engine
>ever

You deserve an automatic

Why did you idiots reply to this?

>fun
>faster

>better
>bigger
Ok America

If you accelerate with WOT and revs between 1500 and 2500, you're not lugging the engine.
You are, however, maximizing efficiency.

So you first have to flip a switch to overtake?
How is that automatic?

Autos are really good in new cars, but I hate autos because they get outdated.
Automatics from 10-15 years ago are complete garbage and are really expensive to fix because eventually they will fail

>highway driving
You never driven a manual have you?
You literally don't touch the gearbox on the highway
>fuel economy
You couldn't be more wrong a torque converter loses a lot of power from the engine, like 30% more than a manual, and every automatic will rev what it feels like revving, they just can't compete with fuel economy of a manual.
>reliability
Kek, you have no clutch I can give you that but dude, most autos are far from reliable, and if they go wrong it costs a fortune to fix
Autos are just retard proof, and America is trying real hard to retard everything

>Torque converter loses a lot of power from the engine

While this is definently true, essentially all automatics built in the last 20 years have some sort of lockup clutch inside them that bypasses the power loss of the torque converter entirely. The 4L60e in my '01 Silverado has a lockup clutch that engages if the vehicle is in 4th gear and above 40mph. More modern transmissions engage their lockup at even slower speeds and in even lower gears

That doesn't mean it's more efficient than a manual does it? The manual gear box is always on "lockup" if your foot is off the clutch pedal.
It just works better and if you get used to it you won't enjoy driving with an automatic, because it feels strange, it just seems that the wheels and the engine aren't connected in the same way as a manual.
and since I'm not from America and everyone can drive a manual gearbox I'm fine

I'm American.

I still find econoshitboxes fun, and will defend them

What it means is that when in lockup an automatic is equally as efficient as a manual. And since automatics usually have more gears (in recent years) and shift faster (no you can't, you're not bang shifting on the street, and if you are, fuel efficiency is not for you) the result is a small gain in fuel efficiency. Now if we're talking auto vs. manual from pre 2000, then there is no argument, manual is more efficient

You can look up numbers that "show" almost anything - literally anything if you're prone to making assumptions. Statistics factor in how most people are incompetent idiots. However, you can calculate numbers yourself that prove in nearly every car on the road the manual transmission is more efficient and reliable and in the vast majority of cars it also offers better performance

Newer auto with 6 speed or more doesn't have that issue. Better yet, something like a dual clutch shifts faster than what human can do.

the way I see it is that even when you design an automatic to be more efficient than a manual it will always cost more than a manual

what is the point of efficiency gains when it takes years to realize them in fuel costs?

I think it just depends on the car.

I had a 520 E39 with an automatic. It was kind of an old man car, but it made for a nice cruiser. It was also nice for city driving... until I had to park.

My dad's girlfriend has a VW Polo with an auto. I used it a few times, and I swear, it was the most boring car I've ever driven. Little FF bimbo-boxes are way more fun with a stick.

I swear Veeky Forums is stuck in the late 80s early 90s

If it has more gears that means the torque converter has to engage more times, that means less time on lockup?
So it's all about that long last gear and the gears to get there, so it CAN be more fuel efficient on paper and maybe on the highway but in real life situations will always consume more fuel than a manual

That's cute now, but what in about 10 years when automatics get even faster? Are people gonna pay 10k to fix a outdated slow autotragic gearbox? Or buy the manual version?

They already did, on paper, but in real life they still can't compete

nah

I bet some automaker some day will release an EV with a manual transmission.

Well, if fuckin' autotragics would stop automatically shifting and killing my power/torks when trying to overtake or fucking climb hills..

My DD is an autofaggot shitbox. On one hill on my drive home from work, I lose speed even with the pedal nearly on the floor at a certain point because the little cunt just shifts and suddenly I'm back in the low-RPM bands where there's no fucking power.

I have not gotten that far yet.
My foolish/immature ass just bought a car that never even had auto version

On wheeler dealers Americans new show they converted a Maserati and kept the gearbox

AUTOMATIC A SHIT

unless its in a truck

and it better be column shift otherwise fuck you

dont buy a box of shit?

Check, check, and check.

>transmissions
Have you ever heard of Direct Drive? Let me tell you about it a bit.

My DD is direct drive.

automatic transmission sort of implies ... a fucking transmission

Poor Tesla, Trump is reversing Obama’s climate change initiative today...

The ripe old age of 22.
This guy has seen it all.

I've been driving both for 16 years now, so never

Only thing I get from an automatic is convenience