Tell me about the lancer, Veeky Forums. Right now I'm stuck between getting an '03 lancer or a 93 miata...

tell me about the lancer, Veeky Forums. Right now I'm stuck between getting an '03 lancer or a 93 miata. I'm getting one or the other on Friday.

A good Lancer is good. But they're delicate, and you need to be very nice to them. I'd probably buy a miata before I bought a Lancer, miata aftermarket support is just so fucking fun.

delicate how? also yeah it's fun but I'm cheap as fuck at the moment and I don't want to put up with trying to pull the 1.6 out and replace it with something faster, then turbocharging it, etc. It just seems like too much work/money. Otherwise I'd go for it full on without even thinking of the lancer.

Unless there's an Evo somewhere in the Lancer's name, pass on it, the non-evolution lancers are basically just family cars. The Miata will be more enjoyable, and there is so much you can do with them in aftermarket/tuning than an 03 lancer that looks and drives about as excitingly as a corolla

dude i'm just trying to upgrade from my '01 celica. i want something fun, fast, and manual. I might even settle for an accord/civic

i have driven a base Lancer before. While it wasn't horrible, it only really compares to the Civic or Accord in terms of driving enjoyment. I would only choose it if your main concern was practicality.

I think both vehicles are good reliability wise, but if you are looking for something fun go for the Miata.

Drive one, and you will see why people like them so much.

Just don't expect to go anywhere quickly.

get a civic instead. mitsubishi a shit

Mitsubishi a mediocre

They aren't terrible, but there are choices out there that make more sense.

that's the thing. I think they're lovely cars, but they aren't very speedy given the one i would be getting is a 1.6... it wouldn't be that bad with the 1.8

>i want something fun, fast, and manual. I might even settle for an accord/civic

I love 90s civic's and can appreciate a well done accord.

but neither of those cars are fast.

Fun? Yes

Not fast? For you maybe but I'm smoking landers with just a few simple mods

- 10 point cage with Parachute
- 3 piece discontinued JoJo frontend
- spec-R full drag suspension
- Fuel cell with -8 lines from tank to motor
- 1 044 bosch pump
- 1200 rc injectors
- golden eagle sleeved block
- cp 10:1 pistons
- Eagle rods
- arp headstuds
- oem h22 headgasket
- Balance shaft delete
- competition clutch twin disc
- Port and polished head
- skunk2 valve springs and retainers
- Str cam gears
- crower stage 1 cams
- aluminium radiator with slim fan
- gsr transmission with itr lsd.
- qsd h2k intake manifold adapter
- k20 rbc manifold
- qsd throttle body spacer
- blox 70mm throttle body
- 4bar omni map sensor
- 6al msd with coil and cap. 3 step launch control
- hks bov
- Garret 102mm turbocharger.
- Custom t4 front facing turbo manifold with 44mm flange
- 44mm tial wastegate
- Custom water to air intercooler set up
- aem eugo wideband w/ gauge
- tuned on chipped p28
- 13 inch volks drag rims
- 2 15 inch volks rear rims
- arp extended wheel studs
- si cluster
- 150 shots of nitrous
im making 350 horsepower to the FRONT WHEELS because thats the only place the power should ever be.

From a quick Google search, both cars are in the 9 second range for a 0-60 time.

The difference is the fact that the Miata feels faster due to it's light weight and more responsive steering.

If you want to go fast for cheap buy an older Foxbody Mustang or F-Body Camaro. Just don't expect good handling, especially stock.

idgi this meme

like a miata? The one I'm looking at needs a fuel pump, or so the guy says. I just want a fun lil car and can't seem to find one without the person lying or being a total fucking weird ass when it comes to miatas. This guys quirk involves an autistic amount of "....." and quoting The Book of Changes which is apparently from a Chinese bible.

no. buy a nicer one that needs nothing.

well when you're poor usually you buy cars that other people don't want to bother fixing. That's why most of my family knows how to wrench. Any problem the car has it won't have in 3 days so what's the point in paying 2 extra grand?

slow piece of shit...i can smoke the fuck out of this in my 2010 focus ses with a couple of simple mods:

- H&R coilovers
- FSWerks race exhaust
- FSWerks 2.5 inch Flexpipe
- Sct tuner
- FSWerks Upper front strut tower brace
- FSWerks Lower front brace
- FSWerks Rear brace
- Dominant engineering adjustable sway bar end links
- K&N short ram intake
- Focus SVT front brake conversion
- Focus SVT rear disk brake conversion
- Stoptech stainless steel brake lines
- Focus 2.3L metal valve cover
- Quaife ATB limited slip differential
- Ford racing 4.10 final drive
- Steeda short throw shifter
- VF engineering polyurethane motor mounts
- Drivers and passenger side
- VF engineering lower rear motor mount with custom solid bushing
- Custom Solid steering rack bushing
- Foxbody mustang Saleen wheels
- 17x9 front and 17x10 rear
- Custom front grille emblem delete
- Painted third brake light w. Custom warning flasher
- Led lighting upgrade through out entire car
- Custom headlight housing
- Hella super tone horns
- Optima yellow top battery
- ARP extended wheel studs
- BWR extended lug nuts
- Massive speed system valve cover dress up kit
- Clinched fender flares
- Downstar fender bolts
- Quicklatch bumper releases
- Trackspec hood vents
- Euro focus push to start button
- A/C delete
- Optima yellow top battery

im making 363 horsepower to the FRONT WHEELS because thats the only place the power should be.

shit. made me laugh.

this meme looks like it takes a lot of effort.

The Lancer is none of those things if it's not an Evo.

It's a cheap front wheel drive economy car, and if you wanted one of those go could get a Civic or a Protege5 and have a much better car.

Or a Corolla XRS, too.

Miatas get somewhat of a pass because they're rear wheel drive and a convertible.

They're two very different cars. As others have said, the Lancer is a compact family sedan, it's not going to be or feel fast and it's not exactly "fun". I had an '03 and it was a perfectly fine, reliable car that never let me down but if you want something that at least feels sporty you'll want a Miata. You can throw rims and a spoiler and a body kit on a Lancer but it's still just a Lancer.

lancher is just an ff shitbox family saloon car.
Miata is an rwd superfun and super highly regarded sport roadster.

You are comparing a FF family shitbox to a FR sportcar.

Here you go.

(OP)
I own a '02 lancer, bought it in highschool for my first car and have had no problems with it despite the ones I created(fucking crashed it). It wasn't super clean when i got it so i never really fell in love with it but as long as you keep the engine clean it will run forever. Going to sell it this summer to one of my friends for $1000

>ff shit box
>miata

>tell me about the lancer
Standard 4 cylinder FWD compact sedan. Fairly durable and the manual transmissions are good, but it's not going to be fast. You can fit the lads in it without issue. Total opposite to the Miata, which is a tiny RWD roadster.

Unless it's an Evo VIII it's not going to be particularly fun.

>Lancer
>delicate

I'm guessing it's a shitty 1ZZ one? Get one with the 2ZZ. Or some sort of V8 Camaro/Mustang.

like. I just checked craigslist and i just think it's so funny that for 1500 and under, i can have a civic or corolla that runs/drives tonight.

idk i beat the shit out of mine, runs great

mr2 or miata.
Hard to find anything more fun than these on a budget.