Why are you backwards and don't believe in God?

All but 2% of the population believes in a Deity of some sort, because they know that everything didn't just spontaneously create itself.

Other urls found in this thread:

salagram.net/Buddha-SB.html
philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl
accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.20.0.than.html
suttacentral.net/en/dn32
palicanon.org/en/sutta-pitaka/transcribed-suttas/majjhima-nikaya/136-mn-82-rahapla-sutta-on-rahapla.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm religious but this is a fallacious argument OP

2% are atheist senpai.
but there are still religions like buddhism, jainism, taoism, hindu sects, etc etc, that dont believe in god, or dont require the belief in a god.
In buddhism's case, they dont require a belief in a god because caring about how or why the universe exists is unnecessary and clouds the mind from mindlessness.
So even if god created everything, there isnt always a reason to care or for it to matter, or be applicable to anything.

Buddha is an incarnation of God according to the Srimad-Bhagavatam

If nothing can create itself then what created god?

Most statistics on religion are bogus because religion doesn't really lend itself to quantification.

To say "x number of people are Jewish" inherently leads itself to an essentialization of what Judaism is. When actual research is done in the field, it becomes clear that Judaism (which of course I'm just using as an example, this applies to all religions) lacks any kind of essential characteristic.

Basically we can't know how many people belong to a religion since we don't have a quantifiable unit of measurement to assess any religion

How many Buddhists pay attention to that text?

The idea of a religious canon is almost entirely exclusive to the abrahamic faiths

It isn't about how many are part of a religion, but utilizing the information of that religious knowledge in your own life. There is much more to Judaism than the Torah and the Old Testament.

>you have to be religious in order to believe in god
xD

salagram.net/Buddha-SB.html
>Then, in the beginning of Kali-yuga, the Lord will appear as Lord Buddha, the son of Aïjanä, in the province of Gayä, just for the purpose of deluding those who are envious of the faithful theist.

Those who were using the Vedas were sacrificing many animals, and under the disguise of atheism, Buddha preached the Dharma, many of the principles he taught are still in line with the Vedas and the Gita. Understanding Buddhism opens up a new understanding for Christianity. The nature of Brahmanism is also apparent in faiths like Judaism.

Yes yes the Buddhism/"""Hinduism""" split mirrors the development of Christianity in many ways blah blah. That's entry level imo.

My point is that you can't point to the ideas of any specific Buddhist text as also the ideas of some holistic notion of the "Buddhist faith" since that doesn't exist.

If you want Buddhist teaching to work for you, you have to have faith that what the Buddha says is true. It is still a faith, there are many schools of Buddhism, and you must have faith in the idea that the Buddhist's of the other side will assist you. All belief is in faith, and there is an amount of faith in every belief. Buddhist teachings are religious in nature, and Buddha as an incarnation holds the key that you are learning the same process that religion does teach. That nirvana is multi and is salvation and is paradise.

Why in the fuck wouls I care which metaphysical views the general population holds? They don't even know what the words metaphysics is.

Among those formally trained philosophy, the vast majority are atheists.

Where are they then? It seems like everyone who knows a bit of philosophy is not an atheist and on places like /r/badphilosophy I see them constantly mocking atheists

>thou must walk with the herd, sheep
Just awful OP.

>It seems like everyone who knows a bit of philosophy is not an atheist and on places like /r/badphilosophy I see them constantly mocking atheists

>people who visit reddit are now knowledgeable philosophers

I bet you believe that morality and the categorical imperative exist too, you troglodyte.

Here is the deal. I'm not a Buddhist, but I have read a good deal of Buddhist writing.

Buddhism itself it not incompatible with other religions,

It does not teach believe in Gods or even reincarnation in a sense.

At least in the works I read it simply stated certain facts about observations about how the mind and emotions work.

This may be pushing it but I have a feeling you can be an atheist and a Buddhist without violating the tenants of Buddhism as it doesn't tell you to worship anything or believing in any God.

At the same time, I feel that you could also be a Christian and Buddhist at the same time.

Buddhism is vague like that so I suppose maybe that is why it works well.

>reddit

Embarrassing.

Meanwhile, here's an actual survey about professional philosophers from all over the world.

philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl

That is a good point my fellow user. However, most creators are the jealous type, and most do have a place of damnation for unbelievers. Would it not be better to attempt to understand as many religions as you can, and therefore choose the one you deem the most true. Therefore giving yourself a better chance at not suffering for eternity? I like most faiths because they seem to not only provide salvation and hope that this world isn't crap for no reason at all. but if I am wrong in the end, i would have had a good guide to live my life by.

is it not better to believe that a God had created himself, rather than molecules spontaneously generating themselves. After all, one of the laws of thermodynamics (forget which one)
Matter can not be created or destroyed.
God is not matter nor is he bound by things that exist.

>Buddhism is atheistic

This myth again

Buddha teached the gods and was praissed by them, and the buddhist countries are filled with shrines for the gods.

Can you cite the Buddhist texts that say this?

Otherwise I can't really say that its false by omission as the onus of proof is on you?

But we can conjecture, vividly and justifiably, on a whim, that a VAST, and almost complete majority of people have faith in some religion.
And to be honest, Judaism, and pretty much every faith are quite distinct and probably have the most essential characteristic of all characteristics in this world.

>phd in philosophy
>doctor of philosophy in philosophy

philosophy is officially redundant and dead

yes I know user, religious is a bad word to use. I just thought it would appeal to more people if i used such a word. Having a faith is the perfect word.

Exactly. People ask for proof of a faith. But they must understand that to have faith in a God, means to believe that they are there even though one can not sense them with worldly senses. If there was proof, it would be called science.

1% owns 99% of the wealth.
2% owns 100% of the intellect.

*tips le fedora*

>actly. Peop

But there is scientific proof that meditation is good for you.

philosophy. please tell me you didn't go to a university to become "formally trained" to make conjectures about the being that we call existence. Thats even worse than a sociological major.

Mahasamaya Sutta

Āṭānāṭiya Sutta
suttacentral.net/en/dn32

Sakkapañha Sutta
palicanon.org/en/sutta-pitaka/transcribed-suttas/majjhima-nikaya/136-mn-82-rahapla-sutta-on-rahapla.html

And so on.

it is better to be a sheep if the only other choice is a cooked lamb chop to be fed to the devil for eternity.

Can you summarize your argument? I could read all three walls of text, but I might come to a different assumption than you.

from what I've witnessed. Buddhism is the best solution for leading the most hardcore atheist to God in the end. It is kind of like a middle man, a training ground, kindergarden if you will. I like it

absolutely. meditation is taken on by other faiths in different forms too.

what "intellect"
most of the leading "intellectuals" are faith affiliated individuals

and what does wealth matter. can you take it with you when you are dead?

>Claim buddhism is atheistic
>Disagree with him
>Ask buddhsit texts agreeing with me
>Give him the texts
>m-muh i can't read i don't wan't to know the turh that buddhism isn't the fedora's religion

Buddha discussing with Sakka the lord(in buddhism) of the Gods and Thirty-three other gods,

1. THUS HAVE I HEARD.579 Once the Lord was staying in Magadha, to the east of Rājagaha, by a Brahmin village called Ambasaṇḍā, to the north of the village on Mount Vediya, in the Indasāla Cave.580 And at that time SAKKA, LORD OF THE GODS,581 felt a strong desire to see the Lord. And Sakka thought: ‘Where is the Blessed Lord, the fully-enlightened Buddha, now staying?’ Then, perceiving where the Lord was, Sakka said to the THIRTY-THREE GODS: ‘Gentlemen, the Blessed Lord is staying in Magadha...in the Indasāla Cave. How would it be if we were to go and visit the Lord?’ ‘Very good, Lord, and may good fortune go with you’, replied the THIRTY-THREE GODS.

Buddha being praised because he benefit to the humans and the GODS :

‘They will revere that Gotama,
who is of benefit to GODS and men,
who has understanding and good conduct,
who is great and fully mature.
suttacentral.net/en/dn32

>most of the leading "intellectuals" are faith affiliated individuals

Top kek
Most philosophers and leading scientists are atheists

>top kek
no sir, wrong wrong wrong. most leading scientists are definitely not atheists. as most scientists realize that matter doesn't create itself.
therefore it must have been created by a being. a supreme being. aka a deity. God. end of story.

Not everyone who believes in deities believes they created the universe.

Buddhism isnt really atheistic as it is non-theistic. I myself am a theistic buddhists. But thats not a requirement of my religion, its just something i have decided out side of buddhism. you can be an atheist buddhist, or a theist buddhist, however there is no place to worship a being in buddhism, so most are non-theistic or atheistic.

Buddhists venerate and make offerings to buddhas and bodhisattvas, that's worship in all but name.

I personally am buddhist.
Buddhism provides salvation through enlightment, which i probably wont reach, but thats ok, because i will be reborn and maybe that thing i become will become enlightened.
if i dont being enlightened, i go to a new body and live life over again, and life, at least the way we live it, is mostly suffering, from anger, saddness, etc.
And if i am wrong, i think buddhism is too a good guide to live ones life by.

I am buddhism [spoiler] zen [/spoiler] and this is pretty much my views.
you can be a christian and a buddhist at the same time. Buddha and Jesus had very similar teachings.

Whatever. God never listen to me! He has attitude may be!:O

I personally dont do that. I recognize that happens in inda and sri lanka. But in zen buddhism (which i didnt specify) such things are irrelevant.
I agree that what they are doing is pretty much worshipping the buddha, i dont know why they do it as it seems to step on what the buddha make pretty clear and that is that we arent to have attachments. I agree that it happens but i dont know why they do it and i personally again dont do it.

That's the whole point though. "spiritual" is the word you are looking for.

>because they know that everything didn't just spontaneously create itself.
How did god come into creation?
>inb4 you answer the exact same thing

> everything didn't just spontaneously create itself.

"Of course not."

> therefore a god created it

"Uh...?"

Most of the laity do it out of respect for the achievements of bodhisattvas or because they want some assistance. And in Vajrayana at least, as you follow the path you come to see that a) deities are empty of inherent existence and b) the distinction between you and the deity is illusory.

yes, thankyou user, spiritual is a good replacement.
if you want me to answer the same question with a different answer the best I can do is give you is a slightly different answer that arrives at the same conclusion.

God existed. That is how he came into creation.
God is creation itself. God came before creation
or worded this way if you like:
>inb4 creation

The most popular position within Atheism is literally that everything created itself

Literally caricature.

What created my creator?

No, there is literally an infinite amount of possible gods based on what we know, and it wouldn't be honest anyway. Maybe God doesn't like liars.

those eyes user. mystifying.
and yes. God is creation itself. get the picture of a human out of your head.
The epitome, the definition, the spelling, the pure being of creation itself.
the individual thoughts that are created from the firing of neurons in your brain, built by cells that were formed using adenosine triphosphate, culminated from the driving force of hydrogen bonds, a conglomeration of quarks. God is every bit of that picture. he is that picture. he is the word picture. God is everything. God is creation.

Folks, I will write a new Bible for all y'all. It will be better than Christianity, that much I can guarantee.

> Everything totally must be created, guys. Believe me!
> Except God, because it isn't like everything must be created! XD
Yeah, such not retarded way of thinking here. At least, we know that some thinks, like radioactive decay just happens, and that all. Meanwhile you base your logic on principle so shit that the God himself shit on it.

I'm the God of God.

If Heaven exists, what imperative do I have of living, when I could blow my brains out and enjoy eternal paradise immediately? Any religious folks care to try? You can come down and let me know if you have a few seconds to spare out of your new infinite life.

but no God has influenced humanity more so than that of the Abrahamic faiths. so yes. you are right, God doesn't like liars. but he dislikes unbelievers more.
And yes, you can say that impacted may be blighted by more bad than good, or more good than bad. but the fact is, God is not bound by human morals.

> God existed. That is how he came into creation.
Well, you can say that Universe existed and stop to waste time for everyone at this point.

Are you seriously foolish enough to believe that a complex being that is God does not have a creator? I believe that there are many Gods each with their own creators, and those creators also have their own creators.

>God
Fuck off. I'll give props to Yahweh for throwing a big temper tantrum, but to insinuate that that worthless Judaic storm god is the only one in existence betrays a lack of knowledge.

Primitive spirits and such existed thousands years before and longer than any monotheistic faith. How can you claim that they influenced humanity more?

Why are you so backwards and don't believe in Allah? Islam is set to be the words most dominant religion so why not follow them?

I agree with him. Truly absurd to believe that God could just pop up from nowhere. There was meta-creation and God's God was cause of it.

Why are Christians such fedoras who have to bother other people about their beliefs?

Nobody says your fedora-theological "nothing" is what existed before the big bang, there were still quantum events and other things happening.

>radioactive decay just happens
False, go back physics 101 bud. A hydrogen proton doesn't undergo any sort of radioactive decay.
And its not principle, nor morals, nor ethics.
>Faith
nothing just happens fool. thanks for epitomizing backwards thinking towards spontaneous generation

>radioactive decay just happens
False, go back physics 101 bud. A hydrogen proton doesn't undergo any sort of radioactive decay.
And its not principle, nor morals, nor ethics.
>Faith
nothing just happens fool.

Well, why don't you do it? Because God didn't hardwire us to so easily commit suicide.

Why? Is your god not powerful enough to create a universe where things "just happen"?

could God not have created himself from a previous self existence in his own image?

> False, go back physics 101 bud.
Hardware random-number generators are literally based on true randomness of radioactive decay, user. Practical applications are more important, that your "can't happen, because I told you".

by that i mean he is existence himself. he is the whole complex that involves existence creation and nothingness

> nothing just happens fool.
Nice conspiracy theory here.

> Nothing just happens!
> ... but, God just exist.

> he is existence himself
Pantheism doesn't require any creation. Learn your basics, user.

lol. polytheism is a joke. why would God represent himself through multiple individual deities, rather than one entity himself. (trinity is one entity in itself)

>nothing begins to exist without a cause

but god didn't exist until zoroaster invented him millenia ago, what created the universe?

do you them now? have you seen them in the recent 2000 years? or even past 5000 years with any significant influence over a vast majority of the world.

Why would many Gods represent itself as singular being? Seems even more retarded to be honest. It is more logical to believe in many Gods than claim a mathematical non-sense about how three equals one.

kek. same God. same messiah. Islam doesn't believe trinity. and no, not set to be most dominant religion.

>meta-creation
hello philosophy PhD user. see you are still trying to find a purpose for your "formal training"

> only last 2000 years matter
Why not last 200 years, while we are at it. Surely at this point, science was more influential than all religions together for humanity.

Because there is no Heaven, this is our only shot at existence. If you were so sure Heaven aka eternal paradise existed, you would kill yourself, because you could do whatever you want in Heaven. Why do you think suicide bombers kill themselves and others for 99 virgins? But you see, there is doubt in your mind, that is why you haven't done it yet, you look at those suicide bomber and think, "what the hell made them do that?", and yet their dream no different than yours.

im prodding. because i can. why did you respond?
and what created those quantum events user? don't tell me that hadrons and leptons created themselves from another "big bang"-esk theory, which in turn was created by a domino effect of instances. There had to be a start.

> he doesn't believe in meta-creation
Why this board is flooded with close minded atheists like you?

he did. when he created it. it just happened. after he created it.
>and he saw that it was good

(1) ◊□p → p
(2) ◊□p
∴ p

> There had to be a start.
They just happen, that is your start. Do you really need some elaborate conspiracy theory to personally blame someone here or what?

Ah-theism is the thesis that one ought to lack belief in god.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. Extremely improbably but on an infinite timescale, very unprobable things can become almost necessary.

>hardware number generators
Again, wrong user. Hardware number generators use an amplifier to distinguish the data it will get. therefore altering the data it pops out. if using a thermal noise signal, you can easily alter the data produced again.
>nice google search though

>conspiracy theory
>can't come up with a true example of spontaneity

ha, pantheism. nice try bud. God encompasses everything. not the other way around.

>millenia
>persia not that old
done

>science explains how not why

read the book before you make your assertions as to why you wouldn't seek that path to heaven.
in my faith, not speaking for others, you want to show your creator why you deserve to be included. first, accepting. second, obeying.

> God spontaneously *just* exist
> It isn't example of spontaneity!

It is just happens that know how is more influential than know why. Even primitive tribes could explain anything with their naive mythologies.