Why aren't there more cars with the engines in the rear?

Why aren't there more cars with the engines in the rear?

Its dumb

Twingo is RWD and rear engine

/thread

Fpbp

There's no point...
Front engine is objectively superior for most purposes. In a modern car, rear engine poses design problems for everything from econoboxes to sports cars.

Everything is water cooled now, a rear engine water cooling system is longer and more maintenance intensive. A big chunk of metal at the rear of the vehicle is bad for frontal crash tests. The weight distribution is not favorable for econoboxes which are supposed to understeer not pendulum oversteer. Front ends are lower and more sloped than rears for aerodynamic purposes which would limit storage in a front trunk. Rear engine packaging constraints would require the rear wheels to be at the very back of the vehicle or a more complex transmission and drivetrain arrangement, or an engine placement that takes away from cabin volume. Front wheel drive is the preferable econobox method because it is more prone to understeer and is more easily driven in snow.

Because that's where the luggage goes.

Imagine getting rear ended

because the horse has always gone in front of the cartage so it must be the best place for mechanical engines

This

>when you've lost oil pressure and have to walk, there's Golla On The Road.

Smart car

aka worst car of the 21st century

Hard to cool, not much room for the engine, reduces or eliminates rear passenger space.

Any other stupid questions?

Pajeet has lots.

>rwd
>rear engine

i wouldnt go that far
some people have modded the shit out of a couple and it seems like a bit of cheap stupid fun
the electric ones seem like massive pieces of shit though, truly useless

not necessarily
my 69 VW Type 1 has more room in the back seat than my 03 VW Jetta

smart cars are far from cheap

It creates a pendulum effect in corners.
This is why older 911's all spin out so easily, they need electronic witchcraft to keep them from spinning out.

used
werent they like 12k for the base model with the fucking manual windows and everything? those should be cheap as shit now

lol they are cheap for smart to make. But its more of a fasion statement than a practical thing in the US anyway so they can charge more for it.

like 14 grand for a base but they hold value like stupid you could just get a used mustang or camaro for cheaper

RR or even MR is a total hot mess especially in the greasy corners.
Once you get a taste FR is kind of fun and all but you always know theres more.

FF is the girl you marry and plan a family with
FR is the girl you marry because you knocked her up
MR is the girl you cant afford
RR is that college girl who you did lines of coke off her tits, fucked her in the ass and didn't seem to care when the condom broke.
AWD is either a trap or the same type of girl as RR but gives toothy head
4WD is the bro who checks you out in the shower, your choice where to go from there.

top fucking kek

I want one of these but Straya can't have them...

>tfw just bought mr

Can't argue with any of that.

>
>MR is the girl you cant afford
Unless it's a Toyota MR

Lel

very unstable under braking
tends to steer its self with only very small changes in throttle or steering input

>tfw no 911 motor to swap in.

got an eg33 laying about ?

No, if I was going water cooled I would go rotary, for full autismo mode. Kek.

FR is one of the older platforms that to me are "old but gold." Good on American Muscle and Drifto memes
RR to me is a VW and Porsche trademark (considering they're family corporations)
OP should try Radial

its harder to design, harder to drive, more dangerous, harder to fix, harder to cool etc., they are only useful in racing applications and the market is just not big enough. maybe 3% of the world population knows the potential advantages of a rear engine car and the amount of people who have ever driven one is in the v ery low 6 digits. in fewer words: hardly anyone cares about them

Would you want to be sitting in a jetta or type 1 if you chrash?

That's an argument against RWD more than anything else

Honestly a type 1. If im going to die, I would like to die in a vw thats not a cuckcar.

highway stability. Having the weight in front means the car will be less affected by gusts of wind at speed, so more and more cars were made with the engine in the front, so there is less part sharing you can do between rear engine cars.

needs double italians (weber) 44

I want a fucken Tatra so bad man

> air cooled V8's dude

They aren't cheap
And they are a useless platform for mods, horrible balance engine, bad starting point. You're on crack

they are excellent drag cars, but if you want good handling you need the roadster/coupe versions.

Oh trust me I know, this car needs everything desu.

I want to get one and turn it into a baja twingo.

lol horse carrying wagon is more like a truck than a car retard

Because Ralph Nader can't drive.

Look at OP's pic. No need for a Porsche engine.