Where do I find good quality, but cheaper shift knobs...

Where do I find good quality, but cheaper shift knobs? Looking for something like pic related but all I can find are $90 Momo knobs

what kind of car (or just thread pitch/design), what kind of shift knob shape and what kind of material do you want?

just measure the thread and ebay that shit

What happens if you buy a shit tier one? I cant imagine it being any different besides the chance the fucker might rip off randomly one day while shifting

>might rip off randomly one day while shifting
Ooold pic, but still.

The momo ones are shit anyway

They all have set screws and aren't threaded

If you know what kind of threads it has, your search gets a lot easier. I always thought that sopending the little bit more for a weighted knob that's CNC or something was worthwhile

Give 20 bucks to your local high school vocational teacher to get one of the kids to machine whatever you want out of aluminum

Saab 9-2X Aero, so anything WRX fits, and I believe WRX just uses the universal threading

Mostly I just want leather that feels good to the touch

>pulling out in front of traffic in old ass truck with Unsynchrod bulldog 4 speed
>shifter arm disconnects from the fork and collars going to 2nd
Wew

Buy a tap and a set of billard balls

Subaru would be M12x1.25 thread pitch. Find anything with metal threads and go from there. Conversely, if you want a solid plastic shift knob, get one that has that same plastic threaded.
Almost all plastic thread inserts suck balls.

I'd say go ebay, but I don't know if I'd buy a "budget" leather shift knob going just by a picture. Personally I like polymer shift knobs, not too hot in the summer and not icicles-cold in the winter.
>pic related

A lot of Toyotas have the same thread dimensions too. I know the MR2 is one of them

Yeah, manufactures tend to have one thread pitch and they stick to it. M12.1.25 is Toyota/scion/lexus/Subaru

Like mazda/mitsu/Nissan/Koreans stick to m10x1.25 for MOST of their manuals. I was in a newer versa and the shift knob was friction-fitted onto a knurled section of the shift rod itself. Like what the fuck mexico.

>pic related

dont buy that, i bought the exact same one and its a piece of shit that slides off. Buy an actual screw on one not one of those "universal" ones

>knurled for his pleasure

If you have a base WRX I'd recommend an STi short shifter kit or shift knob. Not the leather you're looking for but when I've driven them they've felt extra comfy and extra casual.
I'm used to short throws from muh vtec Honda but that shit was a whole other level, literal flicks of wrist to slide it into gear

guy at work got a 92 5 speed ranger and i offered him my old 5" neochrome shifter i got for shigs a while ago and he said hell yeah. well after 10 minutes of trying to rotate the old shifter off it finally loosened up enough to come off and it turns out it was actually splined and we were just lathing out the knob like a bunch of idiots.

I got a CNCed aluminium knob from ebay for like 30$, shit's cool but I need to put a sock on it during summer if I leave the car under the sun.

Yeah that's really the only reason I don't want metal, it's on fire during the summers and freezing during the winters

Of course he's in a fucking scion.

fuck you my felow sabist. im from europe and ive always wanted to have a 9-2x but they where not sold here :^) so i have a pigfat 9-3 Vector

What is objectively the best material and shape for a shift knob?

:^) it's a fucking pleasure to drive. Feels more like a WRX though because the front seats are WRX and so are the inside of the doors. Wasn't a huge fan of the interior anyway so that was a huge plus when I bought it

jesus clean your car ffs

8-ball.

If you're looking for a premium name like momo or sparco you can find them reasonably priced all over ebay

Had something similar happen. Mid traffic on the interstate the bolts that held my shifter bushing fell out and my shifter dropped a couple of inches and got really sloppy. Limped it home, found out what happened, bolted it back on, and all was well with the world. Everything had completely dropped and was sitting directly on the exhaust. Made my butthole clench badly when it happened

From Weeaboo Products LLC

I know how Veeky Forums feels about plasti-dip, but this is actually a perfect application for it.

Buy a metallic dip like hyper silver or anthracite and put like 6 light coats on it - make sure you warm up the can and shake it up very well. It'll be grippy, durable as hell, you'll retain that metallic look, and it won't be cold in the winter or hot in the summer.

Hell, if you want to keep the slick/shiny look, toss on 2 layers of Glossifier and throw that shit out to cure in the sun for a day or two during the summer. Comes out looking like clearcoat.

A.
I have, that was an old picture.
B.
I don't even have that anymore.

Went to autozone and bought one that looked like this one for $20. Has an amazing weight to it and it includes the adapters to fit any threading.

forgot pic

I'm partial to round knobs myself but if it feels good in your hand, has the weight you like and it works with your car, I say go for it.

>I was in a newer versa and the shift knob was friction-fitted onto a knurled section of the shift rod itself. Like what the fuck mexico.

Well the Versa IS literally the cheapest new car on the market, corners had to be cut somewhere (and they were, many corners)

This used to be a kit you could buy, but it's probably trivial to press a threaded insert into an empty handle.

Here's my sparco ebay special

amazon has a ~$18 weighted one, solid chunk of metal with threaded inserts

the mirage, which is cheaper, actually has a threaded shifter rod.

Fuckin dope though, no AC, manual rear windows, manual locks. The most basic amount of equipment to make a brand new car road legal. No TPMS on the Canadian market ones too.
I actually have a hard orange plastic snap-on pry bar handle that I drilled and tapped to m10x1.25. Uncomfortable as FUCK to use since you're holding the "screwdriver" the wrong way.

>pic related

How much did you get it for?

Shipped for around 25 if I remember correctly

Versa is 1k cheaper than the mirage

Damn that's nice