How do I break into the diesel mechanic field...

How do I break into the diesel mechanic field? Ive been to 3 interviews for retail car places but none of them panned out and im looking to expand my parameters?

Ask them why they didn't hire you.

1st job never called back after and reposted the same job but this time said he wanted 5 years minimum exp

2nd wanted me at another shop that was an almost 2hr drive on a good day

3rd job i guess wanted someone who already had a whole box of their own tools who could start right away.I felt me not having done that killed the interview

Just take the job with the 2 hour commute

I was thinking about it but im glad i didnt. im in atlanta and the ride was going to be straight throguh the heart.

Go to a bunch of places like boat yards and truck shops and ask if you can do some sort of internship to learn about working on diesel engines, offer to work at a lower than standard pay in return for their education

Move. Beggers can't be choosers

how dont you have tools and a tool box yet?

I have hand tools couple wrench and socket sets but the big stuff and a box to put it all in
I was waiting to get a job i could actually work to pay it off with. Shit's expensive

i know that feel and i dont blame you. my first auto tech job i was lucky and they had a tool box for me to use. just take a risk and buy a decent one like from MAC or MATCO but avoid SNAP-ON(super expensive for no reason). you need it either way. keep looking user dont give up!

try dealerships or even fleets like for school buses they always need diesel techs

try searching on "INDEED.COM"
are you a recent school grad? shouldnt your school try and help you find a job?

I mean my teachers said i could put them down as references

just walk into a few shops you know of in your school uniform with a few resumes and ask if you can get a chance. thats what i did when i finished auto trade school 7yrs ago. i worked in a BENZ dealership for 5yrs before i quit the auto industry for good

>I don't understand how moving works
KYS

What made you quit for good and wahat do you do now?

I don't know him but
>shit pay
>MASSIVE tool bills
>Shitty managers at dealerships
>long hours
>constantly on your feet, it's physical labor
>many shops = weekend work
It's not glamorous work. The pay isn't great either. Work for a small shop and it's a bit better. The owners are more relaxed and usually treat you like family after a while. They will also GENERALLY allow you to work on side projects after hours.

i quit because its a greedy field. lets say i know how to do something and you dont. you ask me to teach you how to do it and i will tell you no because i will be teaching you to take my job. even the managers were like this. rather then giving me a job to learn from they would rather give it to someone who already knows so they can the get job out faster. they wanted to keep me doing C-TECH work when i wanted to learn how to do other things too like B AND A-TECH work.

tools are also expensive, flat rate is shit and pressure to hurry up with the job.

>Work for a small shop and it's a bit better

from my experience dealership > private shop
some dealerships have unions and most importantly company training. i liked working at my old dealership until the place was bought out and the new owners and managers wanted all the old people out to bring in their own.

yes some managers are shit because they know NOTHING about cars. they just know numbers. at my old dealership job i worked 10 hours a day 4 days a week it was GOAT.

at the moment i work as a paratransit driver. before this i worked as a janitor in a apartment building. i lost that job because i was set up from a supervisor. he lied to the manager that i smoked pot on the job

It might be worth looking into joining whatever country you are in defence force, I know my mates is an army diesel mechanic and he says although the pay is shit, he gets most living expenses paid for so his whole paycheck is straight savings, also if you are married and have a kid you get taken care of real well

Aus army I should have said earlier

Im american in georgia and joining the national guard is something I have wondered about but honestly i'm paranoid about joining the military

Have you heard of WyoTech™? I'd try WyoTech™ As they are the leader in the automotive training field!

It's only $3000 and you'll get hands on experience from instructors who like to drink before class like all of you cool college kids so they are cool like you! WyoTech™ Would be my FIRST CHOICE if I were you!

>3000
you mean 30,000$

why did he kill himself Veeky Forums?

Is wyotech some derivative of the national guard or are they just a "college" the same way ITT tech was.

wyotech is a trade school. Veeky Forums says they are a scam like UTI trade school

They are. I'm and yeah I left a 0 off on accident. I went in 2010-2011 for auto diesel.

Wasn't worth it. I'm lucky though, I used all federal loans, and since The DoE found Corinthian colleges (who owns WyoTech) lied about job placement numbers, which was essentially fraudulent advertising and scamming, what I have left to pay will be wiped clean and what I've paid so far will be refunded.

OP what qualifications do you have already?

Besides an automotive class a WGTC none

You need to start looking at apprenticeships and even floor sweeping/laboring then. And you need to be willing to move. I moved 5 hours to get my apprenticeship. This was 7 years ago and I don't regret it at all.

Right now I'm being paid $30 an hour to sit in a hotel room drinking. Don't listen to people trying to put you off mechanical trades, if you play your cards right you can get yourself in s pretty good position.

I was looking at apprentice ship at a yancy bros place near me they prefer vocational diesel schooling but all can apply

Pretty much this. Sometimes you need to be willing to pick up your life and move it where you'll be most successful.

Is there a website that hosts apprenticeship jobs?

Bad investments. He gave $200,000 to his wife before he died.