Should we revisit pushrods for modern engines? Maybe not for sports cars but it makes sense for normal engines...

Should we revisit pushrods for modern engines? Maybe not for sports cars but it makes sense for normal engines. It would free up lots of room for big safe crumple zones and emissions crap.
>most cars don't rev above 6000 rpm
>space savings are double on V and boxer style engines
>maintenance becomes easier
>presumably lower production costs

I guess it would make VVT harder to implement, but modern cars are more dependent on turbocharging anyway.

Other urls found in this thread:

accufabracing.com/accufab-mustang
motor1.com/news/34775/ford-gt-sets-283-mph-guinness-world-record-for-top-speed-video/
foxnews.com/auto/2017/03/28/2006-ford-gt-sets-standing-mile-speed-record-at-293-6-mph.html
youtube.com/watch?v=JtpzA0hd8Kg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

mpg is the entire name of the game in new cars

I've been triggered by the new honda rebel, pic related. Look at how they've had to build the whole frame around this XBOX sized head.

It just doesn't make sense when the bike is only going to make like 30 hp, get good gas mileage anyway, and exists because it's cheap. Why make such an awkward design for the sake of dohc?

Before this thread turns into the bait shitfest it will inevitably be as always the case when this is brought up-

Will Hybrid technology free up the emissions strain that's currently on engines like these? for example, one of the limitations for these engines when going through the production process in general is Emissions and Fuel Economy. a good hybrid system could take a lot of strain off of that and since the future of sports cars everywhere will be hybrid (guarantee everyone will make an NSX-like car sooner or later) what would be the downsides?

Pushrod engines are sooo great because of cherry picked examples of half dressed all aluminium engines next to dressed iron block engines
I'm so smart for knowing this, every major manufacturer in the world bar three of them are so stupid for not using pushrod engines! Like, why not use them?

Pushrod cucks are so retarded

>those faux pushrod tubes

>xbox hueg
Thanks for the laffs and memories

bump for trigger

I see this image when I close my eyes

The sooner you accept the LS as your God the easier it'll get. I'd be salty too if I had a boat 4cyl or V6 anchor that's bigger than a V8.

Ford V6 and nissan ohc v8s beat a chebby v8 at le mans last year tho Lmao

How are $80k race engines in $2mil race cars relevant to the real world?

damage control : the post

Friendly reminder no Literal Shit engine runs 5's

accufabracing.com/accufab-mustang

Oh you want to talk real world?
Let's talk real world where the chebby lt4 is tuned to cut power so it doesn't go kaboom, and the real world where they overheat in a parking lot like a vw bus trying to keep at speed on a highway on a 45 degree day

Because even drag racers don't like rebuilding their shit after each run. You might as well use a top fuel engine then...Also good luck driving that on the streets. Needing to wind out a V8 to 10k rpm is a joke when a big block with twin turbskies will do it all day long. Why do you care about hp/ci? Are you a euro or something?

tldr: Using small engines is stupid.

Sigh... I don't even. That's why the new Camaro has 99 radiators but I'm sure that won't quench your 'Tism.

>God engine
>Cant even run 5's
Lol, look at the caged cuckhold trying to control the damage

Stay mad pushrodcuck, reminder the cammer got banned because cucks like you couldnt compete

Reminder no Literal Shit enngine can power a street legal car up to 280mph
motor1.com/news/34775/ford-gt-sets-283-mph-guinness-world-record-for-top-speed-video/

Cuckhold!!

>ls literally can't compete with smaller displacement ford engines
>bbbut muh big blocks!
Lmao, drag belongs on lgbt anyway faggot

Barra Turbo a shit

>283 mph
it's 293 actually.

foxnews.com/auto/2017/03/28/2006-ford-gt-sets-standing-mile-speed-record-at-293-6-mph.html

you of all people should know this soviet/o/

>Should we revisit pushrods for modern engines?
No they are far too inefficient and add unreliability.

>Ford's most produced V8
>it's a cherry picked example!
retard

>implying valves will continue to be mechanically operated
>implying valves will continue to exist in car engines
kek

What are you talking about? Cast-iron pushrod engines are the most reliable you can have. Gas mileage between an OHC and OHV will be similar, the OHV will be more efficient at lower RPMs, the OHC will be more efficient at higher RPMS, most pople just go low RPM all day in their daily driver.

>tubskies
Hi Cleetus.

Those are for head bolts

>I guess it would make VVT harder to implement
Actually, no. Go look at the Viper's cam-in-cam VVT, that's arguably easier to do than some DOHC VVT systems. VVL is a lot harder though.

No, because progress cannot be undone.

That's just block reinforcements/places to put the head bolts.

Le Mans isn't an open race. It's got limitations that are disadvantageous for pushrod and rotary engines.

Friendly reminder that no DOHC engine runs 3's.

>Let's talk real world where the chebby lt4 is tuned to cut power so it doesn't go kaboom, and the real world where they overheat
Nope. Z06 overheats, not the LT4, since that very same engine doesn't overheat in the ZL1.

Also, anything built by the most inept car company in the world (GM) cannot be used as evidence for reliability. it might just be the shoddy engineering.

Also also, valvetrain and overheating have nothing to do with each other.

>Why do you care about hp/ci?
Because Top Fuel is limited to 500ci, that's why.

DOHC can't even run 3's.

>reminder the cammer got banned because cucks like you couldnt compete
It got banned in NASCAR because Ford refused to homologate it. It never got banned in drag racing, it just wasn't competetive.

no

pushrods are inefficient compared to ohc

>it just wasn't competetive.

yet it btfo the HEMI in every class that wasnt top fuel

Then explain why they simply stopped producing them.

Face it, the Cammer was completely inferior to both the shotgun and the Hemi.

Lemans has limitations for every class. Pushrods a shit. keep up the damage control

>Lemans has limitations for every class
And they unfairly disadvantage both rotary and pushrod engines. Stop denying the truth.

>and they unfairly disadvantage pushrod engines
no, no they don't. stay triggered though

Are there even any successful race cars that utilize pushrod engines? Straight line ''racing'' doesn't count.

Finally found you.

How have you been man? How's the missus?

Not really, because twisty racing usually disadvantages pushrods. If you don't believe me, go read a rulebook.

Straight line racing is one of the best ways to determine how good an engine is though. If you don't consider Top Fuel or Funny Car a racing sport, you might not be a true enthousiast.

nope. pushcucks on suicide watch.

A drag race is a decent way to benchmark straight line speed, but what's the point of a fast straight line car when the thing can't corner for shit?

there isn't a point. Pushrods a shit

because it was insanely expensive

and no its not inferior when it BTFO them lmao

and the only reason it wasnt allowed in NASCAR is because thye didnt want to allow OHC

the Boss engines were cheaper so they switched to those and promptly ended the HEMI in racing outside of top fuel as well

>and the only reason it wasnt allowed in NASCAR is because thye didnt want to allow OHC
[citation needed]

Ford and GM whined about the Hemi. Nascar then forced homologation. Mopar, against what everybody thought, then homologated the race Hemi with the street Hemi. Meanwhile, Ford was making the Cammer, and never bothered to homologate it. Instead, they homologated the Boss at great cost, having an outside company convert several hundred Mustangs to the requried specs.

Ford simply never bother actually applying the Cammer for some reason. It probably wasn'' cost - I personally think an iron block 427 SOHC engine designed in 90 days in the 1960's would simply have been too heavy to be competitive in Nascar. Also, that timing system won't stand up to 500 miles of high-RPM abuse.

This thread:. Hey guys, could we make a small engine with simple parts and little complexity that would meet the needs of basic grocery getters and be cheap and easy to make/ repair?

ZOMG NOOO FUCKING PUSHRODS ARE THE DEVILS DICK IN YOUR ASD OnLY THE BEST RACING CARS USE OHC. OHV HAS NO PPACE IN AUTOMOBILES EVER.

>that would meet the needs of basic grocery getters
The thing about pushrods is they have next to no benefit on inline engines, which the vast majority of grocery getters use.

tell me why you would spend money to homologate an engine that was denied

a Cammer weighed about the same as a Boss 429 and less then a HEMI

The rule that banned the Cammer also banned the race Hemi. The ban was for "special race-engines". NASCAR was still stock car racing at that point. You couldn't get either engine in a car from the dealership.

ok but ohc is more efficient and will get better mpg

Why?
True, I guess my Ford 2.3 is OHC and it really doesn't have much going on in terms of complexity over a pushrod.

what

Mopar used the Hemi in NASCAR until 1971 I think

they literally allowed the Hemi to continue but at a limited displacement

>small engine
Yeah that's why they're used in small cars, right?

Koenigsegg pls go

Im not an engineer they are just a more efficient design and get better mpgs power and put out less emissions

>a Cammer weighed about the same as a Boss 429

>a slapdash SOHC conversion designed in 90 days by a small team of engineers based on an older, heavier engine block was about the same weight as a brand spanking new big block design that had the entire weight of Ford behind it
Calling bullshit right there.

>You couldn't get either engine in a car from the dealership.
And then Mopar put the Hemi on dealership floors, which allowed them to have the Hemi on Nascar as well.

>The 427 SOHC was virtually built by hand, and was initially intended for stock car racing. The addition of hemispherical chambers and overhead cams transformed the 427 wedge into a very serious powerplant. Factory ratings were 615 hp @ 7000 rpm with a single 4-barrel, and 657 hp @ 7500 with dual carburetors. The engines weigh 680 lbs.

>Ford BOSS 429 680 (iron block, aluminum heads)
>Ford BOSS 429 635

I mean whatever you want to pretend

christ you are talking about a MOTORCYLCE ENGINE! Nobody is gonna be so fucking retarded and build a pushrod motorcycle engine again, and those 45HP? Those are at 8500 RPM! DOHC are the only real reliable option for bikes and have been since the late 70s.

Too bad Honda also made a pushrod engine that made 45+HP @ 9000 RPM... in 1978.

Face it, valvetrain isn't the limiting factor in engine design anymore.

It revved to 10k rpm and had 4 valves per cylinder.
>T. A former owner

>4 valve per cylinder OHV

>pushrods are shit
>fucking AIR COOLED pushrod engine of 80 year old design revs to 9700rpm and makes 125hp/L

top kek

youtube.com/watch?v=JtpzA0hd8Kg

It's actually brilliantly simple if you've ever had the valve covers off on one. A Cummins 24v is a lot worse.

thats pretty shit when a stock DOHC Honda makes 120 hp/l

It was water cooled.

It's a pretty neat engine. I loved riding it

Look at the LS cuck using one off mopar engines to defend his cuck LS engine lol

OH SHIT

HENNESHIT VENOM BTFO

GM FANS WONT RECOVER

CUte, but Honda also did an OHC inline 6 that revved to 20k, in the 70's aswell

As expected pushrod cucks cant compete

>9700

Lel, motorcycles were at over 12k 80 years ago

id still rather have the corvette

Enjoy your subpar build quality

ya pushrods have no effect on rev limiting its limited by airflow buy a better head and intake and you can rev a boat anchor 305 to 8 grand

>8k

Wow its fucking nothing

ya my mr2 only revs to 8.5 with ohc ya i agree nothing having a low tech v8 match it

I didnt know 305 revved to 8k stock faggot

You do know that the engines in the mr2 revved to over 10k in formula atlantic right?

so you have no real life experiance with either huh?
my mr2 revs to 8.5 rolls on its self and if you keep it pegged it can crawl to maybe 9

my 305 with vortec heads performer intake and carb jets revs to 8 before it falls down

i love arguingwith people that dont understand how engines work

>this whole post

Lmao at a you beliving a stock 305 can rev to 8k, keep embarassing yourself

no it's not. JPM MS230 heads nigga.

and make all of 0 hp up there

k so i daily my 87 iroc and it tacs out to 8k every time im racing sop im wrong and i should instead listen to you than the machanical parts of my car got ya. now please post here every ten minutes telling me the rpms in my car so i can keep up

Bread on rev limiter at 8k or fuck off cleetus

even as shit posting this isnt that funny

hell even if you did put Vortec heads on a 305 chances are your compression ratio are in the 7s and the stock cam runs out of steam past 5k

later today ill take a picture jsut to show a random ass on the net what my car does with cheap gofast

t. pushcuck

bump lol

Pretty much all desert race trucks are pushrod LS based V8's. Pushrods are also popular at pikes peak for the non-unlimited classes. Of course you only care about pussy ass sports with safety barriers and regulations. Stay BTFO.

Daily reminder: This 16+ liter pushrod V8 revs to 8000rpm. DOHClets when will they learn?

see

>Of course you only care about pussy ass sports with safety barriers and regulations

>popular at pikes peak for the non-unlimited classes
>desert race trucks are pushrod LS based V8

so basically theyre used in classes where they are able to compete thanks to rules

ok

DA here, the regulation forces v8 modurs.

Most people in the unlimited classes at PP are running million dollar machines with $200k non production engines, Which is kind of irrelevant. In the "slower" classes you can run whatever engine you want. Same goes for desert racing. There aren't really many rules in either unlike cuckracing like F1 and Lewomans.

yeah and LS isnt doing anything special in PP

and depending on what he means by desert racing yes there are rules restricting engine choice

LeMons and F1 at least tach more engineering talent

1.6l Pushrod V4 10k rpm redline making approx 160 horsepower with GDI.

It's beyond fucking easy to make a 4 valve pushrod engine.

>Only 8k
Lol Pushrod cucks thinks this is an accomlishment

Have pushrods ever won the Dakar?

>Merely 100 hp per liter
Lel, pushrodcucks just keep embarassing themselves

Show me a NA dohc making 2100hp. inb4 plane engine/ship/rocket engine.

Dakar is for pussies on bikes and big trucks. Baja is for men.

Chrysler didn't race NASCAR in the '65 season until the last few races when they bothered to homolgate the actual race hemi.

they didnt homolgate it in 1965 the 426 wasnt back until 1967

the 426 was banned in November 1964
June 15, 1965 NASCAR let the HEMI back in at 405 or less cid
July 25, 1965 they had a 404 HEMI

pushrods are literally garbage and should have been phased out a long time ago. The only manufacturer that still uses pushrods in their performance engines is chevrolet. And they have bargain-bin tier engineers.

>Show me X engine but dont show me X engine

This is how stupid pushrod cucks are

Your dohc's are still transported around the world by pushrod engines. Your welcome. That pretty much makes the pushrod engine a God.