Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM
Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Tomb of Friends demo pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo

The Long Road demo:
gamejolt.com/games/thelongroad/236740

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JRo4TtY8DRs
soundcloud.com/user-666801173/dance-douglas-dance/s-FXJbA
youtube.com/watch?v=aTQSXZX9vYM
drawabox.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=ITeAt5Au7cY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

b-b-b-bamp

What sort of monster people do you guys like?

Time to post progress

Almost all of them as long as they are cute/sexy

Candyfolk and Mushroomfolk.

Giant spiders

STAY ALIVE

So guys, what are some of the worst RPG Maker games you've ever played or watched other people play?

You are the guy who made these first person dungeon crawlers, right?
What are you working on now?

Today's Song of the Day:

youtube.com/watch?v=JRo4TtY8DRs

Are you trying to die again?

Bumpa

I like it

I know reasons why people would play my game but I need some help here. Why would people not play my game after looking at it? Is there anything that is extremely unappealing?

Furry shit.

Big muscles and easy to imagine with a big dick.

What makes it a furry game though? Just because it's about animals?

There's more than one click involved. If they viewed, but didn't download, then it's up to you to make the game page more appealing. The page must convince them your game is worth downloading. Also, don't be surprised if only 10-20% of viewers actually download: That's normal

I totally understand that, I'm not really surprised by the download total (mostly because it doesn't capture all of the downloads from other sources, I only recently linked everything to the GameJolt). I'm just trying to improve and sometimes asking yourself the opposite of what you normally ask yourself can get you good results.

Have you played every game you've ever looked at?

Animals are one thing, but for some reason animals with human clothes or accessories tend to bring out the "oh no furries" reaction. That having been said, the modern internet isn't anywhere near as anti-furry as it used to be. In fact, the only place i really hear people talk shit about them is here. Either way, undertale got away full blown anthro so you'll be fine.

Good to know, I'm making a game with animal characters too and I'm afraid to post anything because of the furry stigma

Thanks for your response and explanations. I totally get it now. I guess I'm so far removed from that whole scene that I don't really understand where the lines are drawn. I figured that by focusing on animals that I'd push away some people but also bring others in. It's a trade. I think that the idea to go with animals will eventually prove to be a good decision though.

It will indeed. Keep up the good work my friend

What's the best way to scan for the nearest something? Doing a full, map-wide sweep (checking every x,y) is super quick, but even on my nice rig, it creates a brief but noticeable dip to 20 fps and a stutter. On my laptop, I imagine it'd be agony.

I know I could adjust it to scan only 50x50 squares from the searcher (but that won't find something further away), or I think I could do an expanding ring from the searcher that stops when it finds something (but that runs worse risks if the desired object isn't on the map).

Is there any other way that I'm not thinking of? Besides the obvious of having those locations pre-recorded.

Bump.

Bump

Tell me something about your party.
How many people can you join you? Any of them optional?
What are they like?
What did they do before joining you?
What weapons do they use?

>How many people can you join you?

>Any of them optional?
You get to keep one if you do certain things.

>What are they like?
Main character a cat and is the player-character. You had a great life only because of one child. Every other human has treated you like shit. Uses claws and teeth.

Cleo is a cat who has a nurturing complex. Rather than deal with her own issues, she focuses on making others happy. She was a cat that was raised at an vet clinic and owned by a vet. After the vet died she was brought to the farm that you are eventually brought to. Uses/throws items.

Hunter is a dog who acts "happy go lucky" and confident, but really doesn't care about himself and blames himself for the bad things that happen to him. He is loyal to a fault and easily throws himself in the way of danger to protect others. Hunter's owner was a teenage drug addict who overdosed and left the dog chained up in the back yard. When you find Hunter, he is on the verge of starvation and cannot differentiate friend from foe. He uses the chain that once bound him as a weapon.

Douglas is an orphan duck who was born with a limp leg. The little duck town where he grew up is extremely superficial and quickly isolated Douglas. Years of teasing led him to withdraw from society and spend most of his time playing with human things he found floating down the river by his house. He loves music, video games and dancing and uses these things as a way to escape from the pain the townsfolk inflict on him. He uses music and dancing as a "weapon".

>limb legged duck dancer
Interesting.
What kind of music will he use during battle?

>How many people can you join you?
You start with two. Three join you. Two of them end up betraying you.

>Any of them optional?
There's one more that's optional

>What are they like?
Very stereotypical. Wide-eyed JRPG optimists, and one edgy emo kid.

>What did they do before joining you?
Nothing, because they began to exist the moment the game was powered on. This is important to the plot.

>What weapons do they use?
Each one has their own brand (Sword/staff/bow/axe), though the Knight can use most of them.

Haven't really worked on his skills yet, he's the least develop character in-game. All I know is that he's going to do aoe status conditions, small aoe healing/buffs and aoe dmg. And his abilities will be based on a 3 second ddr mini-game like thing.

This is his "theme", so expect weird/funky music.

soundcloud.com/user-666801173/dance-douglas-dance/s-FXJbA

>Nothing, because they began to exist the moment the game was powered on. This is important to the plot.

I hope this is not another one of those "dude we're in a videogame we are so self-aware xD" indie games

Made a little screen that comes up when you recruit a new slime. Also working on a "Slimedex", where you can view all of these and compare stats of different slimes

Progress!

Amazing, your game looks so damn fun.

It totally is. And we totally go there. But then someone doesn't betray us when they're supposed to, they start asking questions, and brace for mindbreak:
youtube.com/watch?v=aTQSXZX9vYM

>Smile is made of mixels

None of the art is 100% final, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't any mixels in this game. I'm not much of a pixel artist but I'm gonna try to make sure there aren't too many, though.

Beaumont's voice is fucking amazing!

With what kind of save type are you ok people?

Manual save ala RPG Maker?
Checkpoints ala FF10?
AutoSave after entering buildings?

Or maybe, what kind of saves you won't tolerate?

For a first-timer, I got lucky with my cast. I'm probably the worst one in the series, and that's totally fine by me.

bump

Dark Dagon > > > > > > Krista > Cody > Adam

For real, m8, I just finished watching the series, and that Richard Priest guy is fantastic.

>That Richard Priest guy is fantastic
Absolutely. He didn't even know Day of Dagon was going to happen. He just sent me so many extra lines that I wanted to do something with them. He's a class act through and through. Clearly had fun in the role.

Thank you so much for watching

Demo when?

Soon™
I have some time off coming up, so hopefully not long.

The wolf / dog chracters have been anthro'd in that big-eyed sort of way that makes me feel sick to look at.

I get that your game isn't necessarily furry, but a lot of people are getting that impression and it isn't coming from nowhere.

plus there is literally a furry artist going by the name leoheart

Not expecting it to be amended, just saying I probably won't give it a chance because of that, even though it looks like a lot of work has gone into it.

Fair enough, you like what you like! I hope eventually you change your mind because I think the story/music/gameplay is worthwhile. Again, I think it's a trade off. Some people will not want to play it because of the furry vibe but I'm hoping that the furries offset that.

Haven't made any progress in months. Should I just scrap my idea and start a lewd game?

Yes

Is your antagonist cute?

What do I do if I don't like drawing, but I'm too poor to hire an artist?

Learn to draw anyway
It's really fun

I wouldn't know where to start. But I might as well, Music isn't keeping my interest as of late and I need a new outlet.

drawabox.com/
Also read the sticky on /ic/

Thanks, time to grind while looking for a full time job

My current idea for an RPG just rips off chrono trigger except with alternate dimensions, but I still think the original concept is neat I just don't know how to expand on it with out being trite and unoriginal

I've shifted to a rather semi-unconscious setup that requires manual saving

>Save before every major cutscene
>Save after every long fight
>Only really use the last 2-3 saves incase I make a bad purchase at the shop.
it helps root out bugs, too.

But it gets a bit annoying when you're restricted to 5 saves or something.

We don't really have a lot of time travel or alternate dimension games anyway.

The things that will make it really shine are all in execution. A timeline menu tracking all the stuff you've done throughout history, that sort of thing.

The hard part isn't being unoriginal, but making use of alternate dimensions or time travel without being overconvoluted.

Good night bump

What are some of your favorite skills from rpg games? Why?

For me it would have to be the Calculator from FFT. So fun to deal damage based on the math of units.

Bumpf

Doubleattack is cool, but hard to balance.

Quick Hit is cooler, but it can get tedious. For such a fast move, it takes a lot of button pressing to do it multiple times.

Shield skills are also nice. Nothing like blocking everything an enemy throws at you.

Oil needs to be used more. Maybe it doesn't boost fire damage, but adds a flat 20% of your max HP to any fire damage.

Steal abilities are neat, but they need anti-grind and combat mechanics paired up with them so you neither spend 50 turns just stealing nor are require you to steal items. Actual in-combat advantages for using steal would also be cool.

Really good scan abilities are amazing. SMT and XIII are up there with how they do scans, although it wouldn't hurt to be clearer about ailment vulnerabilities.

Element chaining. Encourage themed parties that use the same element, or go the other extreme and encourage parties that always use a different element. Give benefits to both strategies.

Blumpf

Again

I'm too vain to not make literally every character attractive.

I like Doublecast, because it emphasizes the diversity of a Red Mage

I like the idea of Blue Mages, even though I never use them.

>rpg games

Anyway it depends on what I'm looking for. Stuff like Quick and Dualcast are fun for all the game breaking bullshit you can pull with it.

Flavour wise, I like abilities that cost more than mp to use. Anything that damages or impairs the caster (or other party members) in some way has interesting implications. Things that involve doing other things with elemental forces than just throwing them at enemies, too. Magic Sword in FF5 was nice.

Do you like super modes?

Elaborate please

Where do I paste this "#!epN03Q7R!UbjycCANuiUP1GwSq2B5crvDLMGgjZjRQvetbFGdRQs"?

add "mega.nz/" before the #

Wait please don't die

3 people can join you, for a total of four - there are no optional party members because they are all integral to the story.

The Warden is a hardass, concerned with eliminating your enemies as efficiently as possible. The Signal is playful and whimsical and a bit ADHD, which leads her off track for a while. The Anima is quiet, and then she is very hungry.

The Warden spent a year protecting your cell. The Signal spent a year in a cell. The Anima spent a year killing her own kind.

The Warden uses electricity, because his arms are literally made of lightning (he cannot open doors). The Signal uses improvised weapons such as chairs, books, tables, etc. The Anima uses scissors, brass knuckles, basically rough and tumble weapons... And her teeth.
My game doesn't have a traditional antagonist. The one recurring obstacle is not cute.

ok

that feel when you can finally work on your game

What if in my RPG the game ends with everyone losing?

>I'm gonna try to make sure there aren't too many
How hard is it to make sprites in a normal pixel grid? I don't understand how someone could "accidentally" do mixels if they are intentionally avoiding them.

Is there an English equivalent of SRPG studio? Or is anyone planning on translating it?

oh shit, what is this???

It's a FE-clone maker.
Shouzou Kaga, the guy who started the Fire Emblem franchise, recently used it to make a game (available free on PC in japanese).

bump

Work hard anons!

I am! I'm producing as much material as possible to open a blog for my game

Any advice for making a dream sequence? I had a plan for a dungeon taking place in MC's dreams for a long time, but now when I've finally got to it - I've got confused and not really sure what to do.

I've played some Yume Nikki for research and, even though I liked the game, I don't think the same idea would apply to my game(although, I'll include some exploration elements, just like in the rest of my dungeons).

So, any tips for how to make this idea work? Or maybe something you would like to see in a sequence like that?

I planned to do something similar in my game (although I'm shelving this game for now) where the MC attempts suicide by drowning. She ends up in a coma and you play a dungeon in her mind where she's the only party member (or maybe picks up one or two dream party members). I thought it would be interesting to have equipable "psyche weapons" which would be themed around thoughts or ideas like hope, excitement, rest, and enemies like anxiety, fear, etc.

bump

Today's Song of the Day:

youtube.com/watch?v=ITeAt5Au7cY

It would be cool if you made it like a lucid dream where everything seems normal at first, like maybe you "wake up" in a normal location or even revisiting a location the player has been to before, and then you notice some small detail is off and everything becomes fucked up. Maybe you fight distorted dream versions of NPCs you've encountered, or other characters that mean something to the PC.

I'd play it.

RPG Maker 97.
It's pretty old though, and it requires a LOT of assets to work well.

If you're willing to mess around with scripting a lot GUBID's tactic system is decent enough to use.

Thanks, anons! I've already planned to do some things that were in your advices, so good to know that, at least, I'm on a right track.

____

Is this good opening music?
it's basically the title theme.

what does it make you feel? What do you think the game would be about? Would you like more or less music like this?