Drop forged hardened Steel

>drop forged hardened Steel

Bullshit

>Snap-on is meme he said
>Horror Fraught is just as good he said

What were you doing op.. honestly now how much force did you put on that

I've had this happen too. Quality tools are a must

That's not even harbor freight by the finish on it. They look better than that these days.

>use your 15mm wrench as a breaker bar
>bitch when it breaks

By the looks of it OP was using it the wrong way up too. When using an open ended spanner in a high torque application you should always be turning with the bend. By that I mean the 15 degree angle on the head. Turn it as if you were trying to bend that more. Same goes for crescents.

i wish forging or casting was the only thing that mattered when it came to making a metal component. too bad op is too stupid to understand that or why some tools are more expensive than others.

Best guess for this image: weapon

Blue point has been my go to for years, my 3/8 ratchet set is nearly perfect after 7 years of abuse.

Bought some cheap Laotian wrenches from horror fright for Xmas gifts, they can't break..none of them fit tight enough on a bolt to even turn them.

> Drop Forged
> Thinking this is good
"Drop forged", and "Forged" are 2 ENTIRELY different things m8'o.

>using the open end
>ever
Unless its already lose

This.
Looks to me it was linked with another combination slipped over to increase leverage. Something that's not a problem for a proper tool.
Yep.
>need to remove 17mm hub nut
>use ring end of "drop forged" stamped combination spanner
>give sharp wrap with hammer to loosen
>ring end explodes
As an Ausfag at the time went and bought a complete 23 piece Sidchrome spanner set.
>try again, same as above
>success
>proceed to abuse Sidchrome spanners the same way for the next 13 years
These days I'd probably buy Kincrome if after spanners or ratchets or even Teng tools if I need something I don't have, but I still have every single one of those spanners used for DIY suspension, exhaust, gearbox and engine removals. They also often see work on tractors and other fixed and mobile plant. If I was a full time fitter I could probably justify Snap-On or Stahlwille, but I'm not, so I don't.

Yep, I use some of my stuff against manufacturer recommendations. Sue me.

You've never linked two combinations together for leverage?

Sounds like the wrong tool for the job

ah yes, the glorious Chineseium
either buy the best tools on the market, or at least a brand with an unconditional lifetime warrantee

Sometimes you're loosening something too tight to get a socket into. With quality tools this is a non issue. With Walmart tools on the other hand, let me refer you to OP.

They make long spanners too

Which is another set of spanners that's not only impractical outside of its niche purpose, but also made redundant with the linking technique. Might be relevant if you're on the tools for 50hrs a week, but irrelevant otherwise.

or a breaker bar or even a tube to slide over the spanner and extend it. there's no excuse for this shit

Doesn't need to be excused if you're not using crap tools. Hell, even Kobalt tools stand up to this kind of punishment.

I like to have both good tools and good habits
it's why my toolbox is half filled with stuff from my grandfather with Pan-Am money

Breaker bar doesnt always work
You can buy one wrench.
Dont be a cheap faggot like OP

It's a technique that's worked for the last 13 years. Hell, you'll even see mechanics and fitters using said technique in spaces too small to get a socket or a cheater bar. It's like your entire mechanical experience is reading a text book.

Nah normally they bend by the ring end before they ever break the open end

>not buying Japanese tools meticulously crafted with the finest metal folded a thousand times.

Serves you right, OP.

You know how spanners are made to a certain length?
Did you know that length is so that no man should be capable of putting enough force on the spanner to snap it?
So what did you do user?
I am guessing you were using some leverage.

See

>buying cheap tools

See From my experience I agree, but then with wallmart tier tools who knows what sort of variable consistencies they suffer.

Your right. Syrian guy I used to work with used to say "this made of chocolate?" When talking about anything made of shit metals. Looks like OPs spanner was indeed made from chocolate.

drop forged CHINA

Probably not even

>taking photos with a potato

>Buying cheap brittle tools

JUST

It's only meant to withstand drops. That's why it's called drop forged.

Am I the only one who thinks Strap-on when I see Snap-on?

>using a spanner to take a hub nut off instead of a socket and breaker bar
Stupid

>there's no excuse for this shit
ok mr professional know it all god-mechanic, duly noted.

However I'll continue to do this because I've done it for years and it works better than having an assortment of different length wrenches and pipes. I have my 3' cheater pipe and it doesn't fit I choose one of my combination wrenches which vary from under a 1' to 16" long depending on the size

>be engineering student
>read a bunch of books on mechanical car stuff
>decide to try wrenching my civic because it looks more fun than video games
>eventually solve all problems by hitting things with a hammer

who else?

I've busted a snap on 18 inch 1/2 inch drive ratchet it three pieces. But I forgot it was on the track of a D9 cat and ran it over.

>drop forged hardened Steel
The quality of chinese steel alloy varies depending on what recycled waste metals are tossed into the mix. It's why chinese stainless steel might can even have significant lead content. The chinese stainless steel with lead is bad when they use it for metal water bottles and thermos type flasks.

he spent all his money on tools, obviously. ran out when it came to buying a smartphone

>Oh no I broke my high-dollar snap-on, looks like I'm SOL
>Oh no I broke my cheap harbor freight wrench, looks like I'll go to harbor freight and get a brand new one for free

What is "SOL"?
Also.
> Breaking a Snap-on
Good luck breaking one while using it properly. Also you can just call your snapon dealer and he'll have a new one for next time you see him.

SOL = shit outta luck

Horror frights tools are almost just as good as blue point,snap on and matco anyone that tries to prove me wrong are shills hahahaha

Please explain what is wrong with drop forging.

Fite me fgt

>Please explain what is wrong with drop forging.
Because the chinese way of cheap drop forging is to pour a bunch of metal into a form and then have something quickly come down and stamp out the part. That is drop forging to them. The main body of metal is still essentially a cast piece and received no "forging impacts" to cause changes in its grain boundaries.

you clearly have never purchased snap on ratchets new before

But throw buzzwords on a paroduct and normies will eat it up. Same reason you will see "BILLET ALUMINUM" and "MILITARY GRADE" on literally every chinkshit product.

There are good cheap brands like stanley if your familiar with logitechs warranty it works the same way

I must say however that is an unusually aesthetic image.

If you ever break a snap-on, they want to know how, right after they send you a new one.

Anyone who has never used a snap on tool has never felt metal on metal sex.

>he thinks snap on is the best
Screw off, snapon shill.

it is the best though.

it's a combination of the different textures on the wrench and the texture of the chair.

>Oh no I broke my high-dollar snap-on, looks like I'm SOL
literally doesn't happen, i don't even care much for Snap-on, i've had them come on the same day i've broken a tool faster than i could drive to Harbor Freight.

>he unironically thinks snap on is the best
kek

> Expecting hardened steel to not be brittle
Do you even know how steel works?

Literally thinking this. Impact sockets (6 sided obviously) and an 18in breaker bar will solve any stuck nut/bolt issue without you ever having to worry about breaking anything, stripping anything, or costing you a shit ton of money.

My 18" Kobalt Breaker bar was my best purchase to date as a home mechanic. It's easily my favorite tool.

>Snap On
>You can buy better, but you can't pay more

Proto master race reporting in

The only thing better than that is a 25" 3/4" drive breaker bar for axles and crankshafts.

This. Although I don't like the ergonomics and feel of a lot of the Harbor Freight shit and it's a drive from my house if it breaks.
Kobalt is currently my go to. Only slightly more expensive than Harbor Fetish, they feel higher quality, and same great no questions asked warranty.

And I will purchase one of those when the need arrises or purchase an air impact gun. I have no need for it yet as my Yota has a 4age and the crankshaft bolt is a 19mm. My 18" 1/2" was good enough for that.

I just bought same one last week

The first thing you should do is use a little oil in the joint and tighten up that Allen screw. Mine had a little leeway in the joint and you don't want that when really cranking on it. The oil will help it swivel nicely even when that screw is really tight.

Yep. I used red Lube of Love on mine, and it's good.

That sounds like sex lube. Hope it's not water based lube.

The mobo for my pc was "military tested" and "military grade"

Not a bad mobo though I have no complaints.

>all these people who didn't inherit their grandparents' indestructible tools

It's funny because the military buys the cheapest it can get away with. Military grade aluminum is normally a lower grade than something like auto industry standard aluminum.

>implying my grandparents were competent enough to use a screwdriver

>implying I could bring my grandpa's tools to America.
I would if for whatever reason I bring in a container/car from australia.

I actually feel bad for those of you that have never felt that deep, reassuring click of a Snap-on ratchet, or the heavy, slick feel of a Snap -on combo wrench, or the arm twisting torque of a Snap-on half inch impact driver running on 120psi. I only wrench a few hours a week and I wouldn't have it any other way.

>your relatives sold all your grandfather's tools

Snap on torque wrenches are garbage

Looks like a snap-on with a thinner handle.

Yes, aside from the black oxide wears off on the kobalt, leaving it exposed (really a non-issue beyond cosmetic). How well would the chrome snap-on head resist wear?

Basically. Kobalt designs copy much of Snap-Ons designs. The thinner handle doesn't make much of a different since I often wrap a grippy tape around the handle for a better grasp when my hands are covered in shit.

I would expect pretty good. But it would have to be decently thick to wear well. A thicker chrome coating would also mean a smaller cross sectional area of the actual supporting material, which isn't good imo.

From an engineering standpoint it would be better to make the head more like Kobalt's and then offer cheap replacement heads for when they wear too much or deteriorate.

Why would you heat up and bend a rachet spanner like that?

>It's funny because the military buys the cheapest it can get away with.

Your statement ignores that the purchase has to meet specifications and standards. I work for one corporation that does sell manufactured products primarily of metal to the military. There are a lot of standards to be met and the contracts also stipulate that corporate processes follow ISO standards and has certifications as well.

Now, I cannot answer for cases where your military side procurement is corrupted or crooked or flawed. There have been cases where the military was publicly caught with crooked procurement where military personnel were lining their pockets by SUBSTITUTING raw materials. That would be the military buys billet that meets alloy standards but the unethical staff buys chinesium and swaps it for the good billet. Of course, the chinesium has all the correct stamps because the chinese are good at counterfeiting standards documentation.

Yes and your statement ignores that most of those standards are fairly low. Any organization putting out a contracted for bidding such a construction. Just because there are standard and specifications doesn't mean that it's better than other things that have better standards and specifications.

>pontiac badge
>photo taken with a cell phone camera from 2004

>not using your father's stahlwille ratchet and wrench set from the 90's that still works like new

Use two long wrenches, mad power breaking bolt loose. That's why guys do it, they're not using short wrenches.

Space too tight for socket, no breaker bar is going to fit, and neither is a pipe big enough to fit over the other end of the wrench.

If the length of the wrench is set to limit the force put on it, then it's not the wrench that's going to do the job, and is crap. It really is that simple. If it can't do the job, get a better wrench. Also, short wrenches are made of the same metal, same process as long wrenches.

Snap on chrome real good Desu. That's not an engineering perspective that's just your opinion

It is an engineering perspective. Hardened steel has a much higher shear yield stress than chrome. Chrome has an extremely small and steep elastic region which makes it a terrible Materials to use in high torque applications. The thicker the chrome, the less hardened steel you have, which means that the Torque/ smaller Cross Sectional Area is going to result in a higher shear stress which will exit the elastic region at a much lower level of torque. Which isn't what you want in a breaker bar I can assure you.

So it kinda is engineering. It's not my opinion, it's just fact as tested by material engineers. Unless you're claiming that Snap-On is using some crazy high tech materials that the rest of the industry doesn't know about.

survivor bias + not being made of great leap forward pot metal
got any vintage Toyota crescents ?

No you misunderstood. Spanners are the length they are to limit the amount of torque being applied to the fastener. It's not to make the tool last longer, it's to avoid over tightening and damaging the fastener

I use breaker bars or a bit of pipe over a wench
but only to impart the same amount of force over a longer period of time
shock loading breaks way more things than torque over time

>Any organization putting out a contracted for bidding such a construction.
What's your point? Your whole post has no point and justifies nothing.

>If the length of the wrench is set to limit the force put on it, then it's not the wrench that's going to do the job, and is crap.

Not the other posters, but the purpose of a longer spanner (or cheater) is not to make it easier for you to unfasten or fasten the fastener (although it does just that). Ignoring YOU, the real purpose of that tool is the task of using the fastener safely. All the ease of use is worthless if the fastener is ruined.

Thus, the actual purpose of the longer handle (or cheater) is to allow you to more accurately control the amount of torque applied to the fastener. Thus, you don't have to jerk or make other sudden forces that damage the fastener. this is important because while you succeed this time in jerking the fastener, the aggregated damage is done and the fastener's lifespan has been shortened.

Alright Veeky Forums, show me your weird tools. Pic related, ratcheting screwdriver with flat, philips, and smaller flat head. Also, a manual impact wrench in 3/8 socket.

How dumb are you? The point is to have the lowest bid, a contractor needs to find ways to cut costs. Normally this is done through using the lowest quality materials allowed to save on costs.

Aluminum used in the automotive industry is bound to have a higher axial and shear stress yield value than what's used in most military applications.

You are moving the goal posts. Your original statement referred to specifications and not what was actually used.

Do you realize that specifications can be met and you can still have a lower quality product? Just because two companies are told they can only build cars with 300hp, 3000lbs, and the same tires, one may still be leagues faster than the other.
You have no understanding of the intricacies of the design of materials and I can tell you just because there are specifications listed does not mean that it is better than something else.

There are so many variables and places to cut corners. I've tested different grades of aluminum and low carbon steel, especially pertaining to the average materials used in different industries and I can tell you the Military's T6-6061 does not preform up to the standard accepted values of T6-6061. I don't know why as I don't have the knowledge or experience to test all those little variables. The problem is "Military Grade" metals more often than not perform well below the accepted shear and axial yield stresses that the industry knows.