Well Veeky Forums Which one do you choose over the others?

Well Veeky Forums Which one do you choose over the others?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EQWPumtDXk0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

for fun:
RWD>AWD>FWD

for performance:
>AWD>RWD>FWD

Fwd because it's better for track

RWD is the only acceptable answer for anyone who actually enjoys driving in and of itself.

AWD and FWD are known for causing understeer, while RWD is known for causing oversteer.

Oversteer is better than understeer for enjoying driving because oversteer can be controlled. If you know what you're doing, you can use oversteer to do swing the back of the car out and do things you wouldn't be able to do otherwise. You can also can control when the back swings out and how much it does.

With understeer, all you can do is try to reduce how much you're understeering.

So, since RWD is the one that isn't associated with understeer and encourages oversteer, it's the best for anyone who enjoys driving.

you got my attention.

RWD because driving the front wheel of a bike is not only excessively complicated but also dangerous.

FWD is best overall so I would go with that if I had to be stuck with it forever

preferably in a small hot hatch package

@16957902
(You)

whichever one has the best suspension setup desu. Drivetrain is something you work with or around, suspension is what makes it possible to do so.

who do I believe?

>I understand nothing about mechanical tuning
The post

Forza 4.. really miss that game. Playing that and discovering what would be the height of television entertainment for me (Top Gear) was some of the best years of my life.

Tell that to porsche and BMW

They used semi trailing arms and macpherson struts to great success.

For me its whatever is lightest and the most direct. steering and chassis feel are incredibly important to me. but if they are all within 10% of each other ill always choose RWD

If I want the highest acceleration on the car. Which of the 3 do I pick?

This is a C-2 Greyhound. It's used to deliver crew and supplies to aircraft carriers. Because the aircraft deck is pretty short and it's a large plane, it of course must stop quickly through the use of arresting cables. A hook on the plane grabs the cable and hydraulic system slows down the plane. For safety in these landings the passenger seats are oriented toward the rear of the plane, so that the force of the landing pushes them into the seat.

For the same reason that the Navy faces their seats toward the rear of the plane, rear wheel drive is superior. You will oversteer, spin, and crash backwards into a tree, rather than understeering and crashing into it forwards. Backwards is much safer.

FWD, because I follow traffic laws.

Isn't FWD the worst one?

Si senior

FWD is the most predictable platform that offers the driver less opportunity to do crazy things. They're much less likely to get away from you in an incident.

RWD will help you in performance, but that doesn't mean dick if you don't want hundreds of dollars worth of tickets.

cute

>rwd
fun
>awd
performance
>fwd
economy

its not hard

bonus:
>4x4
dropping panties

what about 4 wheel drive?

4wd is that i meant
please dont judge me i am very sleepy

>awd
>performance
You mean drivetrain loss and understeer and tons of added weight and an engine sitting higher up? Ok.

That's not how this works bud

Should I get a RWD over a AWD?

thank for the explanation, Clarkson

excellent post friend

>setup
I didn't mean raw components. I meant fine tuning.

AWD because that camera crane looks more awesome in that shot

RWD > AWD > FWD > Fake AWD (e.g Ford Focus RS)

RWD all day

FWD

Better handling and just as fast

>bbuubububt muh drifiting!!!1!!

WTF

Depends what I want. I have FWD and RWD in my life, in the forms of a V6 Highlander (FWD) Nissan Frontier 04, (RWD only), and a 91 Maita (Guess).

Usually I daily the highlander, nothing special. Benefits of the FWD are, good traction in the snow, minimal drive train loss/MPG reduction. Plus I can lock the rear wheels with the parking brake and do sik skids in the snow basically at the flip of a switch. No real drawbacks in FWD with that car. I dont go to the mountains much at all, and when I do I'm careful and don't do something to get stuck enough for AWD. Drove 3000 ish miles with a pop-up trailer, was fine. Traction in the front was laughable cause tounge weight. Squealed from a stop everytime I throttled like I do normally.

RWD-
IT'S AWESOME when you are doing something where it makes a noticeable difference.
Obviously cornering with the Miata is great. Coilovers, sticky tires, roll bar, door bushings, momo sterring wheel, it was a stripper. manual, no LSD, PS, ABS, TCS, all glory and pain..
Unfortunately I haven't been able to expand my mind with LSD yet. The Nissan and Miata have factory open diffs.
You can definitely notice the open diff in a reduced traction turn. in a straight line, the miata with stock power and sticky tires, not noticeable really.

The biggest benifit of RWD over FWD in terms of daily, will be that in heavy enough rain, or snow, I can slide it and have fun. That's it.

Unfortunately I dont have any experience driving AWD hard or for any long amount of time. But, in my friends 95 S6 with bolt ons, a big turbo, cams, decked head and chipped ECU went nice on the highway. Never pulled from a stop cause it blew a hole in the AAN block at like 100 miles after the build. SAD. Going to get BUILT now. Jealous.

RWD>AWD>FWD. Life is too short to not have as much fun as can driving.

tfw I've never driven a non-SUV RWD car

literally this.

awd

>tfw I thought AWD was the best thing to get
>tfw not sure nomore

dummy

huh?

i understand if you like fwd because of how predictable they are, but whats with this too-weak-to-be-trolling nonsense about fwd being a better performer. you'd better inform pretty much every car company and race team out there quick

fpbp

>you can't oversteer in awd, or to a lesser extent in fwd
Retard. You should probably stick to the bus

>2017
>Electronically managed Awd system
>This autism

AWD/RWD combo

this

In the BTCC they have both front and rear wheel drive cars (I think it's based on the production car that they're silhouettes of) and they're basically the same overall.

>with understeer, all you can do is try to reduce how much you're understeering

kek

Have you ever heard of ATTESA? There are AWD systems that are basically RWD until you lose control.

>he hasn't ever driven a hot hatch
Ok kid

>all cars are same weight
AWD
>AWD weighs more
RWD

I don't know why anyone would pick FWD if you could make the choice on the same car.

??????????????

either awd or rwd. If you have power going to your rear wheels, when you accelerate, the weight shifts to the back wheels and they get more traction. Accelerating with fwd you get less traction on the wheels that are pushing you forward so it's a little slower.

this but for these reasons
youtube.com/watch?v=EQWPumtDXk0

but he left out AWD where you slide into the tree sideways

fwdautists will arrive soon to defend
gunna be a min, they're fwdrivers

Under 200ish HP:
RWD > FWD >>> AWD
With loose traction:
RWD => AWD > FWD (don't quote me on this one)

200-500ish HP
RWD > AWD >>> FWD
With loose traction:
AWD >>> FWD >>> RWD

500+ HP (varies by weight, suspension etc. Assume expensive-ass supercars)
AWD >>> RWD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FWD
With loose traction:
AWD > you're just going to die if you try anything else

Generalizing one drivetrain as best is retarded, but so are the kids with Civics who just spout "muh FWD is just as good" constantly

/thread
end it

FWD because that's the only place power should ever go

I will never own a car with enough power to justify AWD. FWD isn't what makes cars understeer HORRENDOUSLY, it's the suspension setup and drivers being dumbfucks. That said, I'd still take RWD, not because of DORIFTO, but because of better traction for hard acceleration, even tire wear, easier to achieve a neutral driving feel.

Then again, picking a BMW over an Audi because RWD>FWD is pantsu~ on head retarded, they're both deliberately set up to feel like shit. Actually, even the M package still feels less sporty than a smiliar Audi with the sports package.

Audi's are very poorly balanced. The way the Quattro system is designed it basically pushes the weight of the engine out in front of the front axle, instead of sitting between the wheels or even towards the middle of the car.
Subaru isn't much better but they're not trying to make V8 (or even V10) AWD sports sedans.
As much as I despise admitting it, Nissan and their three center driveshafts on the GT-R is probably the best way to do AWD.

That being said, I'd much rather have a RWD car. I have little use for AWD.

FWD is exclusively for econoshitboxes

Even then if you even consider yourself a boy racer your shittiest of shitboxes shouldn't be fwd

Does everyone in this thread think AWD is the same as fucking 4WD? Because they aren't.

4WD>RWD>AWD>FWD

4WD is worthless on the road.

Who the fuck cares about roads? Are you a little girl? A small child perhaps?

We're talking about cars, so I'd assume most do.

lol

>driving your car where it's not meant to be driven

Do you wear your socks outside of your shoes?

Daily Driver: FWD
Weekend Driver: RWD
AWD is pointless outside of showing off at red lights that you can mash a pedal and go fast.

Cars are for going to church on sundays. Workdays you drive your truck. You can't do shit with a car except drive yourself along those fucking roads which only cover .01% of the area you need to be in.

Yes I wear my socks outside of my shoes. What, do you go barefoot all the time or are you an animal that wears your shoes inside your house.

Are you me?

>which only cover .01% of the area you need to be in.
>you
Well aren't we presumptuous?

>AWD is pointless outside of showing off at red lights that you can mash a pedal and go fast.

By that logic rwd is only good for doing burnouts at the lights.
Lots of people live somewhere with snow for a lot of the year, and awd is way more convenient than fwd in the snow. 2 wheel drive of either type is ok, but not ideal.

>inb4 don't live there
not an argument

This is the most confusing bait I've ever seen. Why am I replying?

Daily driver?
FWD
Weekend car?
RWD
Utility?
AWD

>british 'comedy'

right wheel drive

AWD has twice the differentials as RWD and are twice as likely to have a problem. On top of that you have all that extra shit crammed into the car which makes it harder to physically reach around in there and thus means your servicing can take more man hours to do and the bill will be more expensive.

This is why cop cars and other vehicles owned by the government are all RWD.

That being said, I've only ever driven AWD in the snow. Is RWD that bad? Wouldn't snow tires solve all the problems for about half the cost of buying the AWD version of said car (assuming +$2500)

Anybody that uses AWD over 4WD is a retard, like yourself.

Consider killing you're are self, cucko.

name 3 different 4wd cars being manufactured today

Bullshit, I drifted a Dodge stratus with just weight transfer on city streets. Nothing will stop skilled drivers from having fun.

You have not driven 4wd on the road with 600hp and a rear locker then.

>cars

Dodge Ram. Ford F-150. GMC Sierra.

post her nudes

this

tripsconfirmsthetruth

AWD is the most fun to me.

0-60 is my favorite.

How fun?

I've seen built up hondas kill it over the quarter mile.

FWD is okay if you wanna go quick in a straight line

FWD for my DD; It's a practical car. It's got to be cheap and perform well in adverse conditions, like cutting through a foot of water.

For fun, RWD/AWD. Either is fine. Bikes are all RWD, and that's pretty much my choice for fun times.

Have you not considered cornering at an appropriate speed so you don't understeer OR oversteer?