Why are americans obsessing over this hunk of garbage rebadged opel?

why are americans obsessing over this hunk of garbage rebadged opel?

Kys

Other urls found in this thread:

autoevolution.com/cars/opel-astra-sport-sedan-2012.html#aeng_opel-astra-sport-sedan-2012-16-turbo-6mt-180-hp
automobile-catalog.com/car/2013/1421825/buick_verano_2_4l.html
automobile-catalog.com/car/2013/1768055/buick_verano_turbo_6-speed_manual.html
autoevolution.com/cars/opel-insignia-sedan-2008.html#aeng_opel-insignia-sedan-2008-20-turbo-220-hp
automobile-catalog.com/car/2013/1614830/buick_regal_turbo_6-speed_manual.html
youtube.com/watch?v=jok0YarvCKc
youtube.com/watch?v=5g6vV4I7N6Q
jalopnik.com/holy-crap-the-2017-buick-regal-is-actually-a-hatchback-1794012907
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw a rebadged opel is better than 95% of US-designed cars

Suicide is the only way out of this misery

Allow me to explain this god machine to you.

Buick has had a penchant in recent years for using GM's beloved 2.0L Ecotec Turbo in the Regal and Verano.
Said 2.0L turbo has always kept a 6 speed manual on the options list.
This new TourX Regal wagon looks like it'll get AWD.
>not wanting a tune-able, AWD, 2.0L turbo, 6MT wagon that rides like a Buick

I thought you americans hated 2l engines in anything but small econoboxes?

but this

misconception.
Our Ford Fusion and Chevy Malibu are available with engines as small as 1.5L (with turbos of course). The biggest engine available in the Malibu is the 2.0L Turbo, while the biggest in the Fusion is the 2.7L ecoboost V6.
The Chevy Sonic (EU market Aveo) comes with either a 138 HP 1.8L, or a 138 HP 1.4L Turbo. And the turbo outsells the 1.8L.

We don't have a displacement tax or a tax on CO2 emissions so when a car comes to America, typically we get the largest or most powerful engine.

Example. In other countries the first gen Toyota Yaris was available as a 1.0L, a 1.3L, or a 1.5L gas engine.
In America, the Toyota Echo (first gen Yaris coupe/sedan) came standard with the 1.5L

We like more powerful engines. That doesn't mean we shun small engines.

>rides like a buick
rides like an opel***

There are differences between the US and EU markets. US cars get additional sound deadening and retuned suspension to conform to Buick's history of soft, comfy, quiet riding cars.

Did not know this, interesting.

There's a reason the US market Regal and Verano weigh more than their European counterparts.

The occupants?

10/10

>hurr americans are fat joke

Just for comparison.
Opel Astra J sedan: 3097 lbs
autoevolution.com/cars/opel-astra-sport-sedan-2012.html#aeng_opel-astra-sport-sedan-2012-16-turbo-6mt-180-hp

Buick Verano (closest equivalent since US market engines are different.
2.4L: 3419 lbs
automobile-catalog.com/car/2013/1421825/buick_verano_2_4l.html

2.0L Turbo: 3521 lbs
automobile-catalog.com/car/2013/1768055/buick_verano_turbo_6-speed_manual.html

And on the regal.

Opel Insignia: 3313 lbs
autoevolution.com/cars/opel-insignia-sedan-2008.html#aeng_opel-insignia-sedan-2008-20-turbo-220-hp

Buick Regal: 3671 lbs
automobile-catalog.com/car/2013/1614830/buick_regal_turbo_6-speed_manual.html

Pretty much all that extra weight is sound deadening and noise cancellation material so as not to scare off traditional Buick customers.

opel = buick you dumb fuck

didn't read when I saw you had your dinosaur measuring system, just for clarification: United States, Myanmar, and Liberiia

>Stop liking what I don't like!

The south sure is fat.

The metric system predates the imperial system.

proofs?

>We like more powerful engines. That doesn't mean we shun small engines.
explains the daily "yurop LMAO" thread we have
(or is it ausfags false-flagging?)

No shit fucktard. I'm saying they add sound deadening and change the suspension tuning for the US market.

>checks highest concentration areas
>it's literally the cotton belt plus detroit and murrica: the state

At least it'll have a nice interior. Current Buicks are still disgusting GM trash

Current Buicks are already Opels
Regal = Insignia
Verano = Astra
Cascada = Cascada
Encore = Mokka

The Envision, Enclave and Lacrosse are the only Buick products not sourced from Opel.

so....the car gets 10% heavier on top of the "standard" and not bad noise cancellation from the EU-spec, you better be able to hear your thoughts inside that car

We arent.

correct.

It's Haldex AWD, not full time.

fucking Montana

pretty useless in my opinion but i guess Buick is going for a "luxury" car, shame that they are trying to build it on top of an Opel, which is used as a rental car in europe.
luxury brands in America are a joke

>that interior
hahahahahahha

I can feel the 15yo stench of that plastic like I'm being there. Literally everything is plastic, and look at that glovebox, jesus what is this.

This, what the fuck.

Is this some kind of psychological stealth marketing trick?

>talking about Buick
>Chrysler interior out of fucking nowhere

Anyways, it's fine for what it is. Buick doesn't aim for BMW, Audi or Mercedes. Buick is the entry level luxury division. They generally compete with Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus.
And they's actually done decently in that past 7 years.
youtube.com/watch?v=jok0YarvCKc
youtube.com/watch?v=5g6vV4I7N6Q

Jalopnik is paid by GM to promote their garbage

european here, i understand buicks don't have much appeal in the US appart from the odd elderly person.

But don't go all hurr opel/buick sucks gm sucks this simply ain't true, it's a FWD barge but a decent and reliable one, well equipped and priced.
The new ones are looking good too, pic related is the 2014 model and it's sober, but not a joke.

thats not a buick though, fuck, thats not even a good representation of modern chryslers thats like a 2005 chrysler interior

pic related is a 2016

Can definitely agree with this. In the US, Buick is CONSISTENTLY in the top 10 most reliable car makers.

>This GM car is actually a GM car!

Opel, Buick, it's all GM.

it's just yuropoors feeling superior

In yurop, the Insignia competes with the Passat and Mondeo (Fusion for Americans). In the US it can apparently pass for an entry-level luxury car.

It's a silly thing to feel superior over

Because

1. No one except China cares about Buick post 1990s
2. It outsells all actual European car companies in China
3. Cadillac already made a much cooler hot wagon

Though I wish it werent so damn rare

that infotainment looks like a tumor

As previously mentioned the regal uses more luxurious materials, hence the added 400 or so pounds, so it's more luxurious than an insignia.

Buick in the US isn't really known as "entry-level luxury car" it's known as "Wow this car is pretty cheap and has a lot of options, they still make buicks?"

its just an heavier Opel, how can it be more reliable than a Opel? Opels are ok, but cmon its not Lexus standards

Because Buick doesn't use any engine smaller than 2.0L like Opel, the one exception being the Encore. The Encore uses the 1.4L Turbo from the US market Chevy Sonic.
The 2.0L and 2.4L engines that make up Buick's bread and butter are long-reknowned for their reliability, and many people have the American Ecotec engine family as one of the best 4 cylinders ever made. Base model Regals and Verano's use the 2.4L

>the one exception being the Encore.
*And the Cascada. Forgot about that one. 1.6L Turbo from an all new engine family.

What are you talking about? Opel also offers those engines here, they are just not that great and for that price range people just prefer the diesel ones

>>He thinks that Audi and BMW are above Lexus

lol

Except that the AWD Ecotec versions are auto only and if you think that's going to change for this you're sadly mistaken

i love the look of that wagon, but it cant really compete with an S6 or a BMW M5 from the same era

Can't speak for audi but the E60 is garbage and I'd take the cadi over it any day.

BMW > audi in any case anyway

the sedan/coupe did a lap on the burger king in 7:59.

thats even worse.
id much rather sit in my 14 year old diesel

>implying they're not
LEL

>that shitty tacked-on tablet thing
Disgusting.

>that ghastly panel and shockingly hideous doors
keep that cheap shit to yourself, Jose. i bet it looks good on dem 22's you bought for $50.

>shockingly hideous doors
>he says, posting that jumbled mess of metal lines through wood trim
At least keep the shapes consistent, or it'll just end up looking like confused garbage.

as an american in the heartland of america this thread is the first time ive seen or heard anything about whatever car that is and even now after knowing what it is i really just couldnt be fucked to care any less as an average american i cannot wait for a full scale war with north korea maybe it will provide the sweet release of death myself and many others hunger for

>keep lanes consistent
>implying doors in that lexus doesnt look like a complete mash of random geometrical figures
Desu, i still cant grasp how can someone like that cheap jap crap. its hideous. the exterior is even worse.jesus.
lexus what the actual fuck?

Look a bit closer, you can see the Lexus L in every part of that car. It's one of the most striking designs in years.

Sorry but that rear seat is no match for a BMW 7 series/Mercedes S class. Maybe Audi A8 tier since the current A8 is dated

>this thread is the first time ive seen or heard anything about whatever car that is
Probably because it was revealed a few days ago at absolute most.
That is the 2018 Buick Regal wagon, though they're not calling it a wagon. It's being called the Buick Regal TourX

lol the 7 doesn't belong anywhere near here
it's still playing catch-up

As is the A8. The S-Class always sets the standard, Lexus matches it a few years after its launch, and BMW and Audi try their hardest to keep up.

Is this what Jap fanboys actually believe
holy shit you guys are deluded.

Shall we bring out the BMW memeballs?

Overall, the new Lexus LS seems to have what it takes to genuinely compete with the BMW 7 Series, Mercedes-Benz S-Class and Audi A8. However, if history tells us anything, it probably won’t.

jalopnik.com/holy-crap-the-2017-buick-regal-is-actually-a-hatchback-1794012907

deluded maybe, but we're reliably deluded.

normies will probably still buy the BMW or MB because
>MUH RACING HERITAGE
>MUH DEEP HISTORY

>opel, kia, hyundai above average
Holy shit I actually am German and I can assure you that is the ''wrongest'' list i've ever seen
Opels and korean cars are so unreliable it's become a national meme
Look up TUV reports for a more ''reliable'' reliability source lmao.

So is this not getting a Gran Sport version? Lame.

Oh and French cars have shit tier reliability too.

Let's shall we

I've not been a fan of BMW since the e39

feel more like fashionable appliances than drivers cars

How come no one mentioned over 80% Buick sold are in china? Half of their fleet are designed for Chinese market, I barely see any Buick in Canada here, the ones I saw are driven by chinese

better than rebadged VWs with extra leather and meme """"AWD"""" tacked on

>engine sound through speakers

Literally the only reason GM was allowed to keep Buick after the bailout

short story about the average active tourer driver:
>be me, driving speed limit
>one lane road, no overtaking
>enter 2 series active tourer
>starts tailgating
>ohlookmiddleagedwoman.mp4
>have autistic idea
>turn on wipers and spray windshield with wiper fluid
>dirty wiper fluid flies directly onto her windshield
>she almost panic brakes, wipers come on
>keep spraying
>almost the whole front of her """bmw""" is now covered in dirty wiper fluid
>mfw didn't see her behind me again

>>dirty wiper fluid flies directly onto her windshield
iv'e had this idea before but never executed, that is quite an autistic thing to do indeed.
It amazes me it actually worked

so does Audi, Porsche etc.

>americans obsessing over this hunk of garbage rebadged opel
That would be generalizing user. Just like in your country, not all people here like the same things.

It's right in North America. Millions of people drive Kiyundais without issues. Everyfuckingthing is going to be unreliable by PQRSTUVFJGJGKG standards. They'll scrap a car if a tire pressure reading drops half a psi ffs or the paint isn't the right shade.

mfw shitty Korean cars are more reliable than your nations pride and joy.

And even more millions drive German cars in Europe. I commute 130 kilometers daily on autobahns in my 5 series BMW, car is about to hit 500k km soon.
There is a very good reason why Jap/Merican trash does not sell in yurop

>There is a very good reason why Jap/Merican trash does not sell in yurop
Yeah, taxation and regulations that favor yuropoor cars.

Taxations and high insurances apply only to big engined American cars, the economy cars are still very cheap to buy, same with Japanese cars.
Just nobody buys them because they're shit and there always is a better German alternative for the price.
Toyota sells okay-ish in eastern europe though.

I can't get over how disproportional the roof and back windows look together. It looks weird.

>These facts are bullshit!

t. conservative