>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Roguelike News:

Oook.cz competition: Oangband shadow-fairy rouge:
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=202

The latest official /rlg/ PCB combo of the week is: Demigod (anything) Duelist. You can use PCB-R.

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Sad, friendless birthday:

Whats that thing in the top left

A freak of nature.

Akshuly, that's not a furry but a mutant

yeah but only furries enjoy playing DDA.

Casual roguelikes like PCB exists so you can have """""""""fun""""""""" with your 999999 shops, gold, food, teles, bloat, redundancies etc. etc. It's a game made for casuals where you can enjoy being retarded and pretend that you're playing a proper game.

Akshuly, furries no longer enjoy playing DDA.
Nowadays it's slavs and chinks who enjoy DDA.

quoting the pastebin:

>Do Angband up to Depth 12 for the first two "random" quests

do the quests just consist of killing that unique guy on that floor? do I need to go somewhere to collect a reward?

Where is the justice in this game? I miss the stairs

>tfw anons upset about goblins is out
R I P

Would have been hilarious if it said REMOVED instead of BANNED

What game is it? Is it a standard roguelike?

its a roguelite
one way heroics

It has everything from the berlin interpretation except ASCII

>unlocks
>item from one game to the nextz

In before mad spergs whining about muh berlin but not offering any alternative except
>it kinda doesn't like, feel the same way as playing rogue

optional and it kills your rating

Yeah, your reward is they are guaranteed to drop at least one ego item that you can use (as in, can physically equip, not that it's always useful).

>the orb of fire in the mumo poster has been wearing a summer hat all winter

?

Anyone knows what font is that?

>Wu jian lunge one shots Orbs of fires
I dont think this guy is balanced

Wait, what? Did crawldevs remove goblins?

bloat, they didnt do anything that hobgoblins dont

I was referring to the bday card pic, someone removed one anons pic from there

They are actually gone from trunk too

Yet another quality addition to one of the dullest roguelikes in the history of roguelikes. Each commit by the Devil's Team and their sycophants from the Tavern as they remove assorted features has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the removal of content, the game's only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of interesting tactical situations, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Campbell vetoed the idea of Linley developing the game; he made sure the game would never be mistaken for a real roguelike that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously unprofitable cross-promotion for Tolkien books. DCSS might be anti-fun (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Nethack roguelike in its refusal of spoilers, Dwarves, and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the older versions were good though
"No!"
The gameplay is dreadful; the game was terrible. As I played, I noticed that every time a developer removed a feature, the dev wrote instead that the feature "was bloat."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Campbell's mind is so governed by optimal play and efficiency that he has no other style of developing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of DCSS by the same Edmund McMillen. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are playing DCSS at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to play The Binding of Isaac." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play DCSS you are, in fact, trained to play The Binding of Isaac.

Does anyone here actually make roguelikes? Or is everyone just a filthy casual?

>They are actually gone from trunk too
Bullshit. They wouldn't remove goblins and hobgoblins, they'd have to remove kobolds and big kobolds too.

It's nice that there's more enemy variety in MC, but holy fuck are some of them unbalanced.

>Sabertooth Tigers
>all the advantages of a tiger
>2x speed
>high damage
>it can now combo attack
>a single hit already usually oneshots lower hp classes

>Crystal Golems
>all the advantages of a golem
>physical resistance
>high health
>it can now cast thunder magic
>it has no cast time unlike every other enemy in the game
>thunder force is the type of magic you get the least defense against
>aoe damage

>both of them are common enemies

Jesus Christ, why?

Mystery Chronicles One Way Heroics.

That's because you haven't won a mumo in winter.
I FALL
I FIST
I FALL AGAIN

I was laughing so hard when I first encountered a Sabertooth tiger doing a Desperate attack to me like some character in a shounen anime. They could even do a triple turn so what if it did that 3 times? It's so broken that even one of them can slaughter you if you're a little underpowered

I don't think anyone does that as a service. Just buy a ?remove curse in 4. Refresh shops by sleeping if they don't have one.

Weight's a huge deal for maulers. I haven't done the math, but I expect you're well better off getting an extra 30 lbs on your weapon compared to almost any possible plusses. Wear them and compare your damage/level change, though.

Talking about Adom,how do you deal with poison in the early game?

talk it out and walk it out.

first aid can help

You can apply first aid skill after taking poison damage, which might get you back a small amount of health. Also you get two prayers for healing assuming you haven't used any yet.

If you're still dying of poison after that, you'll have to drink random potions, I guess. Probably you'll just die.

the reward is a guaranteed-good drop from the quest target (plus some fame i guess)
notably, like from ?acq, the drops will always be something usable for your character
so if you do angband quests as e.g. a ring mimic, you will get a pile of 5 high-level rings to eat every time.

For Crawl is Iron rod better or Rod of Destruction?

it's a shiren/mysterydungeonlike
there are a ton of nip games like that actually

They're great, but I usually just swap them for my hammer when closing in.
Don't forget to throw your clubs and knives while they recharge!

someone tell that user that he can look at his melee damage on the C screen

So should I buy both of em for my demonspawn berserker?

i thought destruction only came in staff form

Yeah, sure.
Remember to also grab a ring of Ctele and a ring of tele for infinte free teleports.
Also save your recharge scrolls on haste, tele and heal wounds wands!
Watch out for elephant slugs and rolling beetles, though.

and scroll, spell, and equipment/jewelry activation

i wouldn't be surprised if that rod of chaos or whatever it is can destruct

also wand of wonder (or other sources of wonder) can do it, though pretty rare unless you have very high chance virtue IIRC

and I think some demon patrons do it ocassionally

>tfw you find a daemon weapon with +4 At and activation for destruction
>tfw youre playing a nohands monsterrace

it is a painful type of feel
good sell value tho

man I miss having the race/class/title in the status sidebar.
It's not like that area runs out of room even in a minimal permissible size window.

f.r. for one/both of the incestuously cross-pollinated rlg forks

>level 2
>240hp

he was level 23 or something, it's just cut off by the inventory window

Why would you need the game to tell you what class you picked

I still wonder up to this day why they removed boulder beetles. Mental illness should have its limits

mostly it's nice for sharing one's game in screenshots without having to leave folks in the dark or re-state your setup every time

It's gimmick proved ineffective in actual play

>selling fixedarts
but they need to live forever in the museum

Every monster's gimmick is ineffective in actual play of a player with sufficient knowledge or IQ so I don't see your point.

yeah that calls for the based Armageddon Stone, with its 1000 powerlevel destruction with a timeout of 10 gameturns

oh absolutely, that or reforged, I was talking about selling user's described +4 attacks A:destruction demon-ego weapon

I mean I do sell fixedarts, but usually only early when the gold boost is a big deal or late when I have a zillion at home and want to gamble potions, reforge, or whatever other gold-heavy task

This. I can't even begin to see if the game is still shit if it isn't nice to look at.

Someone, please, what font is that?

I'm confused by this gif. The vision obstruction only works if @ is one of the pancaked zombies. What's going on there?

RC cars I guess.
@ is the square with two dots.

are these failrates fixed or am I too stupid / low level for them?

I have a feeling that my 7 INT and 3 WIS don't help with reading scrolls.

I believe they scale with device skill, which should improve with level and I think scales partly with some stat.

Oh. That makes sense. I've never tried RC before, but now I kind of want to.

you are too stupid
failrate for scrolls (as well as staves, wands, rods, and equipment activations) is determined by your device skill, which is based on int plus any bonuses from race/class/personality

in fact character choice makes a huge difference
a lucky mindflayer with 3 int will have better device skill than a mighy barbarian with 18/220

my device is at "excellent", which isn't that high, I suppose. I'm only lvl 30 right now, so I'll hold out on those 50% scrolls.

almost splatted to barney in the arena because he confused and hallucinated me

That's the excuse crawl devs use against everything.

The toxic waste breathers are really annoying without rChaos, but Barney and Gachapin are especially bad in my experience. It does make it quite satisfying if you meet them when you're some flavour of overpowered bullshit and just obliterate them though.

And yeah, excellent is fairly low for some of those scrolls. At 30 you'll probably be running into stat pots a decent amount soon, which should get you to a better place there.

You forgot the "annoying" and "spoilery"

toxic waste damage is resisted by rPois...are its side effects rChaos resisted? Barney/Gachapin does breathe actual chaos so maybe you're confusing things, but maybe I'm missing something.

Is it normal for Trog to gift Spellbinder?

HOW the fuck did this guy die?

I suddenly got firestormed and glaciated out of nowhere and thought some new mob got added.

>toxic waste
>rChaos
it checks rPois senpai

Either he faulted oor you should start running away

probably ate a LCS on the chin

shit i always obliterate gachapin when i actually fight him because I avoid him until I actually have double rchaos at which point i'm like 20 levels higher than him

Well, shit. I thought all the stuff with hallucination secondary effects was chaos.

Deep Elves have low HP. One mistake and they're usually goners even with lvl 9s especially in a place where you're not allowed to do convenient translocations

shadow creatures alone should carry him perfectly safe

are you implying that having one good spell makes a player invincible?
there's still a human player behind the wheel and he can still make mistakes
especially when a high-rolling crystal spear could knock off 92% of his maxhp

That's delusional.

this actually makes a lot of sense thanks

Remember, there's no such thing as """""fun""""". It's just a buzzword used by losers and children who can't describe how a game is objectively good or bad.

What's a good life rating to shoot for? Got 110/100 at the moment.

i wish pcb mogaminator could have conditionals based on equipped items
i want to add rules like "if i'm wearing a {good} item, autodestroy everything with less AC. if i'm wearing an ego, autodestroy {good} items from the same slot"

anything over 100 is a-ok. 110 is top tier

Good to know. I don't feel so bad about my unremarkable stat maximums then (either side of 18/100).

Why are XP penalties a thing

To punish you for playing fun race/class combos.

Vampiric brand with duelist is really nice. I expect I'm going to use it as a crutch and die after running into a bunch of liches or wights.

>item from one game to the nextz
iirc nethack has it too

a ton of people who tried making a roguelike but then gave up after a couple days browse this general
I can think of at least five (5) people that posted their roguelike here but then mysteriously stopped posting a few days after

Bloat must be removed

Where is the best branch to go after finishing Vault:5? I also have Abysal rune, Pan maybe?

zot

mumos can effectively (yes effectively) use boulder beetles to kill big dangerous shit

Depends on your setup. Slime is pretty easy if you have rCorr, decent MR (maybe clarity, too), and can handle a few bad mutations.

You might want to clear out the Crypt and Elf for extra XP if you haven't already.