Can I get some help with a question I have about mufflers?

Can I get some help with a question I have about mufflers?

Okay so I'm pretty inept when it comes to modifying cars and shit. I'm looking to changing the muffler on my car so that it's louder. That's all I want, for the car to be louder. Is a muffler all I would need? Do I need one that is specific to my car, or would a standard one be fine?

Will pic related make my car sound louder?

justjap.com/engine/exhaust/mufflers/x-force-lp-02-universal-canon-muffler-3-0-stainless-steel.html

just remove the muffler or poke holes in the stock muffler, don't spend money on a fartcan

Alright, so here is how exhausts work.

They are comprised of the following components (going from the engine to the rear)

Headers -> some meme piping -> catalytic converter -> some more meme piping -> muffler

The cheapest approach is to just buy a Chinese replacement muffler. It will make your car louder and it's easy as piss to install.

If you're actually looking for a performance increase, you may want to consider replacing the other components as well.

Is that safe?

Thanks. Yeah I'm not really looking for any sort of performance increase as I don't have enough money to spend on an exhaust system. Just looking to make the car louder.

The muffler I linked is $200, which is a pretty decent price but I don't know if it's good, loud, or even works with my car.

Not OP but have a related question:
>magnaflow axleback
>loud as fuark
>need to tone it down a bit
Should i replace the stock resonator that comes before the muffler, or risk buying some dinky silencer that may not fit/work?

When you say resonator, do you mean your catalytic converter, the chamber that sits about in the middle of your car?

as long as all the exhaust holes are behind the driver, and you meet sound regulations, it's fine

Please don't cut holes in your stock muffler, that is a dumb option. Cheaper mufflers are available if you really need to cut down on the cost.

As far as fitting your car, it looks like the specific muffler that you posted is offered with a 2", 2.25", 2.5", and 3" inlets. This number should match the diameter of the pipe that is attached to your stock muffler. If you can't figure the measurement out, you can probably find it on a forum somewhere.

He is probably referring to an actual resonator that is sitting between the catalytic converter and muffler. Most cars will come with them to quiet down the exhaust as much as possible from the factory.

Ahh, so I'll have to have one welded in. Guess I'll throw the stock muffler back on until i can get that done.

>sound regulations

What sound regulations? Where in Cuckistan do you live? I couldn't hear my self laughing over the city bus passing by outside.

OP here, I live in Victoria, Australia.

Can't be louder than 91dB

I didn't even know resonators were a thing outside of some meme term exhaust companies made up to replace 'cat delete chamber'

>unbolt cat
>smash out core
>bolt back in place
>cut out muffler
>weld in pipe
>you have achieved maximum exhaust for minimal $

How do you unbolt a cat? Isn't that animal cruelty?

rude

Run family muffler shop. Deal with this shit everyday. Start with the muffler you found online. Don't listen to these brokedick$ saying hollow this out cut that off. Don't butcher the exhaust to get what you want. Replace your stock muffler with the muffler you have found. If you're not happy go from there, but it should suffice. Takes a certain kind of stupid to go straight pipe on what I'm assuming is a 4 cyl.

Thanks. I'm just kinda worried about it not being compatible with my car or something, I don't even know how to install it desu.

My car is a 6 cyl by the way, if that matters at all.

straight pipe 4 banger a COOL though

especially when its attached to a ratty shitbox that runs rich as piss causing sikk ass flames

Wasn't trying to be a dick by making that assumption. Just that muffler is a common application for " those" cars. What type of car is it exactly?

Oh no that's fine, you didn't come off as a dick haha.

My car's a 4-door R34.

what country you live in?

Australia.

>buying a ricecan
help us out and kys

Just straight pipe it faggot

That's pretty freaking loud man

Look man don't blow 200 on a fart cannon. Thrush mufflers go for like 30 bucks and do the exact same thing. Or get a cheap eBay muffler. It'll sound the same

After he said Australia , my thoughts exactly

well straight pipe is all fine but THAT DRONE noise at cruise speed is lame

I don't get it.

Is it really? I don't know much about how loud exhausts normally are in decibels.

I'll look around for some, thanks user.

Is there a cheap ebay equivalent for a nice quiet muffler?

>nice quiet muffler?
Walker Soundfx.
look for the ones old people buy

$200 bucks for a universal fart can? LOL

go to ebay and save yourself some money, especially since you have to pay a shop to get it welded on.

i got this dc sports muffler for 60 bucks on amazon

Get a higher pressure muffler bearing, that should do the trick.

Thanks user. I checked the Amazon page for it, and it says that it ships to Australia along with pic related which looks pretty good too.

Now I just have to make sure they fit into my car. Says that the muffler is "2-1/2inch inlet x 4inch outlet x 21-1/2 inch long". I don't know what any of that means, but I'll have to find out.

It also says that it increases horsepower? How does that work?

the 2 1/2 inch inlet is the diameter of the piping on the far left of the picture you posted.

that has to match the diameter of the piping already on your car (however i don't see why a shop wouldn't have adapters)

the 4 inch outlet is just the diameter of the tip of the muffler

the 21 1/2 inch long is self explanatory

the horsepower gain is because of better air flow

Ah I see, thanks again!

>Mfw people condoning fart cannons

I hope to god it's not an auto, don't be a cunt to your neighbours.

>Increases horsepower
Likely detrimental, if anything.

The thing is, these are universal mufflers; they can fit any car. BUT you will need to have a muffler shop weld it to your existing exhaust in order for it to work. It shouldn't be too awfully expensive either.

He could jb weld it himself like a true Veeky Forumstist if he wanted

I'll probably fuck something up if I do desu. I'm going to try to find a shop that'll do it for a reasonable price.