What exactly is preventing diesel cars from taking off as THE sensible choice for a practical commuter with fantastic...

What exactly is preventing diesel cars from taking off as THE sensible choice for a practical commuter with fantastic fuel economy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A8sPBuJq-3s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What exactly is preventing
The Jews.

Why would diesel be preferable? It's expensive as fuck compared to regular unleaded

I think it probably has something to do with marketing/public perception of diesel use and/or availability. people just want to fill their crossovers with regular gas instead of weird alternatives so as not to risk getting home late and missing their favorite tv progrum

In Canada it's cheaper than regular by like 10 cents, which h is why diesel Mercs are so popular here

>Why would diesel be preferable?
Because it's got a higher energy density than gasoline and it's ideal for high compression ratios, further enhancing fuel economy.

>cost of fuel
>cost of cars up front
>stupid strict emissions standards
>shitty American diesel cars in the 80s
>VW's diesel fiasco

They stink and you have to go through extra shit to pass emissions

Diesels are slowly being phased out in Diesel loving Yurop. There's only so far you can go in cleaning the emissions.

Jews are trying to make it like america. The idea is to keep consumer and commercial fuels separated, so each one's price can be fixed according to the Ecnomic Jewish trick at the time.

USA has prohibitive emissions laws for the purpose of keeping diesel out of the hands of the consumer. The phase out in Europe is the start to that end.

The issue of urban air pollution from diesel smoke is real you tinfoil hat retard

So why does that affect people who live in rural areas?

The move to ban diesel vehicles from entering urban centres might affect people in rural areas but that's not the intent.

>air pollution from diesel smoke
It's defintely not the 24/7/365 global aerosol (chemtrail) operations pumping the stratosphere with CCN manifesting as SMOG as result of a global "climate change" program, oh no. It's the little tiny oil engines doing it all to the poor helpless planet. Refined oil is pwning the same atmosphere that *exponentially increases in volume relative to altitude* with those dinky little car and truck engines doing everything.

We must stop driving. We must phase out diesel.

>expensive
That's really just here in the States.

But I'M ON that's the problem. It's a catch 22 sort of thing.
1.Not much besides cargo trucks use it, so production is less compared to gasoline. This drives up price.
2. Because price is high, not many vehicles use it.
3. See 1

*IMO

But cargo trucks use a fuck load of it, getting 6mpg and filling up on hundreds of gallons every few days

And even if there are less trucks they run almost all of the time

>we must restrict energy use
>we must drive the price of energy higher
>we must tax every single soul based on oxidative chemical reactions based on bogus political speudo-science
>carbon is bad, chemical reactions liberating hydrogen atoms and replacing them with oxygen atoms in carbon molecules somehow is a detriment to the planet all of a sudden
>pls beleive our stories look at we're--- err i mean mother earth is punishing you al with sensational extreme weather events you must reduce your quality of living, you must pay up like giving us money is a solution for anything but to fund our black operations to make your weather worse and punish you with property damage on top of it all
>muh shekels

Fucking tinfoil hat retard.

there will come a day when you can't use this as an excuse to shove your head further up your ass, because your intestinal tract is of limited length.

see
>expensive to buy
>tax favours hybrids
>DPF/adblue is a nightmare

The economy benefits are appreciated over highway driving. In the city there is no real benefit.

Is Adblue really all that bad? I've only ever filled it up like twice since the tank in my car is so massive

this makes me wonder, has there ever been a diesel sports car?

distance

Diesel does not make sense for short hops.

Sportiest thing would probably be a luxury sedan in sports mode

Shit sound, running stability and powerless

t:europoor

In the US its smog/NOx emissions laws. Makes diesels way too expensive to be economy cars. Plus they are slow AF.

Not anymore. For the last two years the price of diesel has been about the same as the price of regular gasoline

Some of those diesel models are advertised as getting like 45-50mpg.
Make a diesel/electric hybrid and you'll have people being crazy efficient.

>Plus they are slow AF.
Which is fine for most consumers. If you're a soccer mom who only drives to and from the neighborhood school and field then who gives a shit if it takes 10 seconds to hit 60?

But I can get a gasser thats at least $10k cheaper up front, with cheaper maintenance costs and cheaper fuel that ISN'T slow as fuck and DOESN'T sound like shit. Diesel econoboxes in the US are a bad idea and you should feel bad for thinking otherwise.

adblue is highly corrosive - combined with non rebuildable DPFs, the engine will basically brick itself after 10-15 years when these emissions systems wear out.

youtube.com/watch?v=A8sPBuJq-3s
see:
>golf GTD
>skoda octavia VRS TDI
>any audi with 3.0 TDI v6
>bmw m550d
>bmw 750d

DPF deletes are a thing

Trident Iceni

sure
so is PCV blockoff, flash tuning, de-throttling, and turbo modification

but that's the realm of powerstroke enthusiasts and not your average car buyer/user. Its way cheaper and easier to just buy a camry hybrid than to fuck around with all of the above.

Propane is where is it, get a nice toroidal tank in spare wheel place and you get half the fuel costs of gasoline.
You could easily dailydrive a v8 on lpg.

>Noisy and not in a good way
>Smell like shit
>Pollutes and causes cancer
>Slow
Why would anyone want diesels? Fucking yuropoors.

didn't a diesel car win lemans a few years back or something? i remember top gear did an episode about it.

Diesel has a lower heating value than gasoline. It's only redeeming factor is higher compression ratios for increased thermal efficiency, but is still offset by the shitty combustion efficiency due to getting diesel atomized.

GDI vehicles are getting better and better everyday. Once we move on to higher octane fuels, they'll likely surpass diesels for everything.

> diesel atomized.
>offset
>it's why diesels have traditionally lower BSFCs than petrols?

Wow someone is stuck in the past.

>LPG liquid phase sequential port injection
hnnngggggggggg

Diesel engines sound like shit imo.

Not very fun to drive either when it cant rev past 4k, but normies dont care.

>modern diesels redline at 5200-5500
Get with the times grandpa

Olds Toronado

They're not going to dump more fuel when it would only increase UHC and soot. They have better bsfc from their high compression, but theres a lot of power left on the table.

Again, once GDI catches up to similar compression (and it's improving a lot), it's over.

Seriously bro, look up new diesel engines. A lot of engineering goes into extending burn time and increasing atomization and reducing rich spots which is mainly responsible for 'UHC' and soot. GDI will never catch up until HCCI is fully implemented, and the first HCCIs will only be partial CI mode up to a certain load where they switch to SI. Nevertheless, diesel continues to improve year on year.

Batteries in a hybrid will need major servicing or reconditioning at the very least in 15 years as well

lel none of those points apply to a diesel S Class

Most of what I'm going by is from my colleagues in NREL. Most agree that GDI is the future, especially since your very deisel tech can be applied both ways. The largest reason GDI is held back is from pump gas standards. So yeah, diesel "innovation" can pull ahead when people bitch about paying for more than 85 at the pump.

making diesel mainstream is like gassing yourself.

The taxes make it the more expensive option in western europe

diesel cars and truck smell bad. the fuel smells bad. starting a diesel truck in a garage and the whole house stinks. as an americunt I traveled in Europe and the whole place stinks of diesel.

yuropoor technology just isn't there yet.

It's not the 80s anymore, gramps

There's a
>maserati
Ghibli with a diesel version, quite nice sound too

Tbh senpai I still don't get why manufacturers don't install a catch can for the PCV, it would fix carbon buildups in DI engines.
>muh maintenance
>muh another thing to keep in mind with the car
>muh consumers won't buy my car
I'm sure it'll sell when they don't need their intake wallnut blasted

>carbon buildups in DI engines
That's an issue for the 5th owner, a catch can is an issue for the first owner

They are in europe
>cheaper fuel (less taxed)
>better mpgs than gas engined equivalents
>many torks so big cars with small engines are viable
Pretty much every company car here (in germany) is a diesel, for private use owning a diesel is usually is cheaper when you drive more than 20k km a year

They tried it in the UK, tax breaks encouraged everyone to get a diesel a few years ago, now they are backtracking as they have realised the shit that comes out the back is killing people and fucking up the air in cities and are trying to ban them. You will be charged £24 a day to drive one in London, and other big cities here are considering enforcing this too.

Now everyone who has a diesel car is going to be left with a worthless shell pretty soon as no one will want them.

As for the reality of ownership, they aren't great. Loud, unrefined, much more expensive and complex parts to go wrong, and they never get the amazing economy figures quoted.

Not any more, you fail an MOT if you remove it.

>>expensive
>That's really just here in the States.
No, that's just in flyover states where the majority of fuel sales go to truckers. They hike up diesel because that's what gets bought the most. In Cuckifornia I have never seen diesel cost more than gas since, like, 2008.

There is no economical benefit.

I believe EVs are going to replace the ICE as the economy car of popular choice.

>living in a nanny state

It is the sensible choice in Europe. Unless you drive less than 25k km diesel is the best deal even considering larger initial price.

>As for the reality of ownership, they aren't great. Loud, unrefined, much more expensive and complex parts to go wrong, and they never get the amazing economy figures quoted.
That's true for the little 1L shitboxes Eurocucks are forced to drive, but not for real cars

Well the S320 CDI is louder and less refined than the petrol alternative, and it still has expensive parts, for example a DPF to go wrong so it still applies.

They're just as quiet, at least the S350 in the US is

Also uses the same engine as the Sprinter work vans and those clever fucks have figured all sorts of work arounds

>autism

Thats what they've been here in most of Europe for a long time, but there are a lot of problems with the design

>emissions
This is the biggest. Local air pollution from the Nox produced by diesel engines is heavy as fuck, and not good for anyones health
>operating temperatures
Too many people here drive short distances where the engine isn't allowed to reach its full temperature, which causes moisture in the oil aswell as usually completely fucking the EGR
>climate
Northern Europe sees a lot of cold temperatures, which diesels typically do not like all that well to start in. With powerful batteries, well-functioning glow plugs and winterized diesel it works fine, but petrol is still much better for the cold (also heats up a lot quicker)

The diesel engine is brilliant for heavy-duty applications and those who drive actual distances every day where you allow the engine to warm up and you can just cruise along at minimum RPM, but for your average short commute I'll recommend petrol

>inb4 when S-Classes use work van diesels it's bad but when Cadillacs use work truck V8s it's good

Theres a diesel panamera if that counts.

It sure makes me happy when highschool dropouts think they know shit because they have "street smarts" from working a piece of shit 9-5 job and paying taxes makes them smart.

>makes me happy
The Dunning-Kruger effect makes a lot of idiots happy each day.
>why would anyone control the weather? ain't nobody got time for that
The Actual Science behind controlling the weather is far more fascinating than whatever retarded, simplistic, consumer-grade political pseudo-science you're choking on.

EGR valves that make the engine a ticking time bomb
Simple repair bills that are 1-4K