Just came back from a holiday in USA and i have one burning question;

Just came back from a holiday in USA and i have one burning question;

Why the fuck do american tradesmen drive completely impractical pick-up trucks rather than panel vans?
Why did transits, sprinters etc never catch on in america? They are superior work vehicles in every way.

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/06/car-loans-now-top-1-trillion-delinquency-rates-rise/89911210/
youtube.com/watch?v=V6l2py68WY4
globalresearch.ca/poverty-in-the-u-s-a-nearly-50-million-americans-on-food-stamps/5328986
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We do...its just that for example, me...I drive a truck...and I have a 7x14 cargo trailer when I need it...

So...what's your problem with this?

Because the majority of Americans prioritize materialistic consumerism over logic and reasoning.

There is some room for debate though.

Very few manufacturers offer an AWD or 4x4 version of a cargo van. I know Benz offers it and the older Chevy vans used to have them (since discontinued)

Up until recently, engine configurations in cargo vans usually sacrificed power in favor of fuel economy - so it made sense to buy a big ass truck if you wanted to do some towing.

BUT, and this is how you can unequivocally tell if someone is a retard, manufacturers like Ford use the same frame and now even engine (Ecoboost 3.5) between their entry level RWD trucks and their transit vans.

Because they think they need 4x4 and two feet of ground clearance for some dirt roads.

This is what I am saying though, they don't even have 4x4

m8 i was in LA.
Every plumber/electrician etc i seen driving around was in a pickup truck with all his shit haphazardly ditched in the bed. I seriously doubt they are going on any dirt roads.

Only correct answer here. Sorry you can't understand OP, maybe once you grow up and don't care what other people use for utilitarian purposes then maybe you'd get it

>Godda haul dat blywood :DDDDD
>Need to put the gravels in the tray :DD

And 100 other excuses

>american tradesmen drive completely impractical pick-up trucks rather than panel vans
they drive whatever the company tells them to, then they jump in their personally owned truck to drive home because they aren't poor piece of shit Europeans barely making above minimum wage at 60 years old due to crushing taxes on every facet of their controlled lives.

Paid off your truck yet, faggot?

usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/06/car-loans-now-top-1-trillion-delinquency-rates-rise/89911210/

Every single Mexican drywaller in a D21 can't be wrong.

Besides. It's europe. You faggots don't actually do any work over there anyway so there's no reason you'd ever run into problems and you like to do shit wrong in the first place.

Vans are for pedos and tire delivery.

You mean we like to do it right in the first place so that it doesn't need constant fixing by Mexicans in D21s.

Man the burgers are fiesty today
Keep it up

we're not very poor here friend.

>the yuropoors will not leave Veeky Forumsl

why must we suffer.

youtube.com/watch?v=V6l2py68WY4

what is ameritards obsession with loose gravel?

>what you doing john?

>we're not very poor here friend.
globalresearch.ca/poverty-in-the-u-s-a-nearly-50-million-americans-on-food-stamps/5328986

Isn't your mother going to get upset with you posting her panties online, user?

most of those are niggers

Because fuck you and your whining.

43% aren't a majority.

>20% of the population
>40% of the welfare

Because MUH TRUCK is a substitute for MUH MASCUHLINITY

Disproportionality still doesn't make them a majority. The niggers comment was a flat out lie. Either way they're a part of your fucking country whether you like it or not. You can't randomly exclude demographics to make your cesspool nation look better.

here's a better question;
why does the american haulage industry still use those ridiculous antiquated lorries?

the first $20k i earn is tax free i'm not sure what you're thinking of you temporarily embarassed millionaire

Because our trucks don't have to navigate in cities for the majority of their time. They can trade the turning circle for better crash protection.

im 99% certain they don't have better crash protection than european style cabs, bro.

The pointy nose actually makes them more aerodynamic than brick-like European trucks especially on more rounded off modern models, and the wheelbase makes them more comfortable over their garbage roads. There's enough space to accommodate vehicles of this size. If anything, European trucks are a compromise out of necessity because their turning radius has to be hard-coded into law to accommodate them on European roads.

t. Euro

>the truck with the engine in front of the cab has worse crash protection than the cabover

There's a reason cabovers never really took off in the US, user.

>There's a reason cabovers never really took off in the US, user.
yeah, for the same reason that healthy eating, geography and manual transmissions never took off. Americans are mentally challenged.

I can't speak for all of the US, but here in Kentucky

>Vans can't haul horses
>Vans cant deal with muddy farm terrain worth shit
>hauling farm equipment with vans means you have to be in an enclosed space with farm equipment
>Generally we don't have to worry about people stealing our shit so the open bed is preferred
>trucks are more comfortable and better equipped for long trips

I do see a surprising number of Euro looking vans in the more rural looking area, places with smaller backroads, good for delivery jobs.

I will never understand why people outside of the US are so offended that people in the US use trucks

this thread again?

I have a pick up truck and an 18' car hauler that I used to haul cars across the country when I was flipping them.

And the tradesmen that drive trucks need them because believe it or not, if you really paid attention to where they go, 4x4/ground clearance is required

Many people seem to own them without using them which makes them a waste of common resources.

when did i say anything about farmers?
farmers in europe also use pick-up trucks.
It's one of the few industries where a pick-up is a good choice.

>actually defending cab-overs as anything more then a compromise for tight euro roads

literally retarded, stop posting

Dude we already knew that all people from kentucky are inbred hillbillies

Driveways?

>waste of common resources

COMMIES GET THE FUCK OUT

Trucks are more fun.
Plus, Instead of
> Muhammad, can you open the door so I can put this prayer rug in the van
We just put our tools and things in the bed

I know it was meant to be an insult but I'm just happy you used hillbilly correctly

So many Europeans use it like hick/redneck

welp it really turns out that euros are completely assmad and jealous of Americans and their freedom to buy trucks and not get blown up by Muslims

communism is the future

>as anything more then a compromise for tight euro roads
I always learned it's because of our length limits. Longer cab means shorter trailer.

*gets shot by Tyrone*
*or the LAPD*
*Serve and Protect*

Because for the most part, the people who use a pickup over a van do it because a pickup bed is easier to clean out after use, and doesn't force them to keep dirty tools/loads in the cab with them. Tradesmen who need the protection, like plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, anyone who needs a mobile workshop, etc., use vans.

And Sprinters and Transits HAVE caught on in the US. Right now, only GM is selling a "traditional" American style van, and they're getting their ass kicked in that market because of how obsolete that platform is compared to the vans from the other makers. Ford and FCA both ended production of their own vans in favor of Transits and Sprinters, although I think you can still special-order an E-series chassis from Ford.

this happens daily, there are plenty of other subjects they could be talking about but its always
>Y DO AMERICANS HAVE TRUCKS SO FAT N DUMB
in varying flavors.

>And the tradesmen that drive trucks need them because believe it or not, if you really paid attention to where they go, 4x4/ground clearance is required
So this would fit perfect.
In these vans you can walk upright, have cabinets and work benches on the side and everything. Storing it safe and dry as well.

And don't forget they are fucking comfy to drive with air suspension seats.

>living in california
Don't live there, have no desire to. My state is 95 percent white. problem solved :)

>communism will ruin the future

Fixed that

>Right now, only GM is selling a "traditional" American style van, and they're getting their ass kicked in that market because of how obsolete that platform is compared to the vans from the other makers.
what exactly is the difference between an american style van and a non american one?
and why don't americans of all people prefer the american style one?

>And don't forget they are fucking comfy to drive with air suspension seats.

Only for the driver. Your assistant has to be bounced around in a seat bolted to the floor while you bounce down dirt roads.
I fucking hate that.

These are not mutually exclusive statements.

the future is already ruined and it was capitalism that did it.

You can always fit a second (UK) air suspension seat and mount it.

>tfw we got a new van
>with a fucking bench
We were able to kill our boss, if that bench didn't break our back first.

By what metric? Commies killed over 56 million, and could have wiped out scientists who could have saved this world, communists are selfish pathetic scumbags just like capitalists except capitalists won't have you killed for talking poorly about them

????

Well, yes. Length limits are the result of tight roads. They ensure manouverability. Technology is only STARTING to make longer trucks equally manouverable, but even then you need a multitude of pivot joints and potentially steerable axles.

To give a frame of reference to our burgerfriends, these long combinations which have been common in Scandinavia for decades (due to more space) and in the Netherlands for a number of years and are gaining foothold in more of continental Europe usually combine a 25.75 ft trailer/straight truck and a 44.5 ft semi trailer, whereas regular combinations are limited to 44.5 ft semi trailers OR a 25.75 ft straight truck with a 25.75 ft drawbar trailer. The cabins are pretty much standardized at roughly 7'8. Anything that gets added to cabins (cranes, heavy haul racks with additional pressure tanks, fuel tanks and intercoolers, rarely longer cabins) gets deducted from the trailer length.

So is my country, yet we're constantly accused of "flooding" it with shitskins.

"american" style to GM means it only appeals to boomers and executives looking at fleet vehicles to drive around for 5 years before they get dumped off in a scrapheap somewhere.

Pic related, they made this ugly fucking piece of sub rental car garbage for 10 FUCKING YEARS. They finally stopped rolling out the door in 2016 as "Impala Limiteds". A car that was outdated looking by 2006 standards, for 10 goddamn years.

Fuck GM, they deserved to fail.

Because Sweden, YES

im saying communism is the future and it is going to destroy it, meaning both of those statements are correct.

ignore the other idiot, for some reason morons from Veeky Forums or /v/ slide in here.

Much harsher ride, shorter roof so not as much vertical space, not as good cargo space access, wider turning radius, and much worse fuel economy. V8s are great in trucks because of how often they get used for towing (in commercial use), but vans generally find themselves only hauling the cargo they themselves carry, so they don't need the big lug engines. The Cargo Express is only available with gas V8s, while the Ford Transit has two V6 choices and a diesel I5.

This is partially why Chevy badge engineered Nissan's own city delivery van so they wouldn't be totally shut out from that market sector.

I fucking hate that shit

>driver seat is a luxury throne that's more comfortable than being caressed by angels
>passenger seat is a moldy paint bucket stapled to the floor with bungee cords hooked onto the door for seatbelts

must be a bit of a pain to get these things unloaded, i know how lazy the people handling paperwork at docks can be "fuck did this part happen to be at the first part of the load or the second, shit where is that pallet" etc, mixed with how stupid some of the truckers are. ive seen people with full CDL's and shit not know what a load lock bar is or why [company] requires it.

American vans are body on frame with a large displacement gasoline engine and rwd.
Euro vans are unibody or semi-unibody (except for chassis cab variants) with a Diesel engine (or small displacement gasoline). Smaller yuro vans (Transit-Custom, Vito) are also transverse fwd

You forgot to mention how Euro vans usually have three lengths and three roof heights available while American vans have two lengths and one roof height. Also in European vans the cargo area actually feels like it's had thought put into, with a low entry level, tall doors, small wheel well protrusions and lots of tie-down points.

>"american" style to GM means it only appeals to boomers and executives looking at fleet vehicles to drive around for 5 years before they get dumped off in a scrapheap somewhere

Even in fleet usage the Transits are kicking GM's ass. It's only their pickups that are seen as the better fleet choice.

In Canukistan most trade companies use either GM Savana's or the new transit vans or occasionally a sprinter. The new transits are getting pretty popular. Lots of trades guys and cuntractors still use a pickup as a personal vehicle because it's practical when they're not working. eg. hauling shit on the weekends.

Indeed, Id take a transit over whatever GM is shitting out lately as well, but you can bet there are still a few people who don't give a fuck and only see the bottom line $$$

Most cube vans are still on GM or Ford chassis' though. I doubt you'll ever see a 16' box on a fwd chassis anytime soon.

>You can always fit
> Optional extra
> Company van
> Not usually carrying two people
No chance. We even had a van without a passenger seat at one point, and just a carrier for the hand truck there instead.

> Four axle groups
> Two points of articulation
Wow. Here in britain, we have the 'road trains' with a trailer on a drawbar, but that's only the one articulation point. Or we have extra-long semi trailers with a steerable axle in a spread arrangement.

Well yeah, but box vans are an entirely different breed than regular city vans, you know?

It's actually a tossup now. The base Transit is about equal in price to a base City Express, and it can carry 400 pounds more in cargo. I seriously don't know what GM is going to do to salvage their van image. They seem like they've totally lost it.

US transits are all RWD.

You would think the "American van" would be equally well developed, seeing as it's a product that's been built for 60 years or so.
It's not like the Americans are newcomers like the Chinese or Indians.

A thing of the past

HOLY FUCK FORD IS WINNING THE COMMERCIAL VAN RACE RIGHT NOW

They're outselling GM's vans 3-1. Holy shit.

*2-1, my bad.

please stop getting your education from fox news

Because they're clapped out after 4 years and need to be constantly replaced.

>You would think the "American van" would be equally well developed
Yeah, but American automotive technology is stuck in the 1960s.

The amount of old transits I see on the roads disproves you.

lel

It was, up until like 2010. It's just a different breed than Euro vans, and the American market felt that the Euro vans fit their needs better, so Ford and Dodge just started importing the Euro ones instead of trying to change up their existing vans.

I mean, they DO still have their uses, it's just that the Transit/Sprinter does the "van" thing better than them in the city.

Interesting.

A dealer near me has an empty lot nearby overflowing with base city expresses as well, I'm talking at least 50, all just sitting there. None have moved in the last 6 months.

Its GM, they know not what they do. Meanwhile Ford basically invented the idea of a modular east to operate, versatile cargo van.

>auto loan
>poorfags believe everyone falls for the con they do
kek fuck off Mohammed
>not working tax free by accepting only cash AND getting government subsidized food, electricity, internet, phones, and schooling
lmao

>t. European
we literally just got these here serf.

because vans have a hight restriction
and liberty means doing what you aught not do
>semi related
why are Mercedes ambulances so shit ?
the engines break down and the doors fall off

COE was a big thing for a little while in America
but seems to have been forgotten since the 1970s

>take a Silverado chassis+cab
>put the EcoTech V6 in it
>stick a European-style modular van body on the chassis
>call it the "Silverado Commercial Express"
>capitalize on both the van's and truck's names
>hype up its suitability for towing and its cargo versatility
>stick a "Made In America" sticker on it

Come on, GM, it's not that hard. Even Nissan figured this shit out before you.

>chevy making an add that is anything more creative then

"REAL PEOPLE NOT ACTORS JD POWER JD POWER JD POWER WOOOOAAAAOW WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOW CHEBBY WOWWWWW JD POWER ALUMINUM IS BAD BECAUSE BEAR CAGE EMOJIIIS."

Whaddya mean? I see them all the time.

Because American men have very fragile egos

> HURR DURR ONLY LASTS FOUR YEARS
> WE ONLY JUST GOT DEM
Which is it? Do they not last, or did they just arrive?
Now, since I know they're euro-spec Transits, made in europe, and exported to the US as 'minibuses' and then having the seats and windows removed in the US, you're fucking wrong about them not lasting. I see old Transits everywhere.

They just got here a couple years ago. Only time will tell how long they'll last but there's a reason why big lazy V8's have always been used for commercial vehicles. I can't see 350hp from 2.7 liters surviving the rigors of being a fleet vehicle.

>Superior work vehicles in every way
Name 3 things a van can do that a pickup can't. I dare you, cunt.

keep muh dry wall dry
secure large amounts of tools
easy conversion into a mobile home or underground hydroponics lab

>keep muh dry wall dry
see pic related
>secure large amounts of tools
how can a pickup not do this?
>easy conversion into a mobile home or underground hydroponics lab
Have you ever heard of 5th wheels? also, kys degenerate fag

>secure large amounts of tools

It's called tool boxes. Vans take like 7 seconds to break into.

>Live in NYC/NJ
>See tons of Econolines, Express Vans, Transits, Sprinters, etc as work vans

What's the problem?