/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate, genocide).
/cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

Prior era: >Civilization Resources
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XHSRv4Hsxn0
youtube.com/watch?v=YmvGlBFaFEU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Somebody posted it last thread and it looked comfy so I'm gonna post it in this thread in the hopes that someone who's actually tried it will talk about it.

It's called Northgard.

So, is this gonna be the spiritual successor to Culture?

I thought the name was bad for mixing up languages in a way that doesn't make sense, but
>Kröwns
Fuck's sake.

THREAD THEME
youtube.com/watch?v=XHSRv4Hsxn0

But that was missing in Civ V too.

>Shitposters got into Civ 6 before civilizations like Babylon or Persia

Speaking of things that someone mentioned yesterday, I picked this up and damn if it isn't intricate. The thing about the seasons being the real life seasons is a bit too autistic for me to be honest.

Also I've only just realized that I should have built a school right away to train skills.

Persia and Babylon never had to go up against emus and dropbears.

shitposting is the new power boii

u fukin wot m8

>Australian soldier being savagely attacked by an Emu warrior as Australian commanders order an organized retreat, Circa 1932 (colorized)

Truly Australia is a terrifying place.

literally bred for war

>no option to capture those creatures and raise them as a really nasty form of system defense
>no option to reverse engineer the dreadnought to create a new class of heavy duty warships
>no stupidly long event/research chain that ends with you finding a way to breed space dragons

stellaris fleet AI when?

even after all these years of seeing it "Dignity" never ceases to extract a chuckle from me

You're technically not wrong but the actual problem with this reasoning is that while the wall was built at the political borders at the time, there were massive campaigns led by Qin officers to push the borders TO where they existed. The (Qin) Great Wall almost entirely follows mountain ridges, while the Ming one (i.e. the one up today) both follows mountain ridges and zigzags in a soft S pattern across relatively flat land in order to get to the next mountain (as the western sections of the Great Wall uses a lot of mountains as natural walls).
Basically, yes it's political, but no it's not "just" political. Ningxia, a relatively fertile land near the yellow river encompassed by the Great Wall, was captured by the Qin from the Xiongnu, and the Wall follows the extent of the recent conquest.

simplistic and shallow as fuck, low content and it doesn't seem like there's much more to come, it's shit.
Banished is was better.

Here we see the tribal Australian alpha male protecting his loyal canine companion from an attack by a rivaling tribe. This species shows absolute dominance over nature, the grace, the beauty, the strength. His flannel pattern garb is not only decorative but also shows his ranking as a warrior of his people. The Roo tribal realizes this after a single right hook to the jaw quickly backing down, knowing he's in over his head he simply stares as the Aussie male performs victorious gestures and walks away to tend to his canine. The Roo will have to hunt elsewhere in another territory or risk war with the Aussie tribe.

youtube.com/watch?v=YmvGlBFaFEU

cant wait

;____;

So what exactly is gonna be in the dlc? Any big changes?

>be violent epansionist race
>see the error of your ways
>create a ringworld utiopia of peace and prosperity
>aliens assume you are stil evil and wipe your civilization out the moment they find you
That's sad.

And somehow I'M the bad guy.

Reworked empire and pop ethics, as well as a new outlook on factions

Banks 1.5 will introduce new mechanics

The new Ascension mechanic and its following 'species endgame' paths coming in Banks

Changes to pops: species rights/obligations, new degrees of slavery and purging, refugees, core worlds and more.

Your new home above your home

Megastructures: the headline feature of the Utopia expansion.

Psionic Ascension Path

Wiz goes into details on indoctrinating pre-FTL species, new unrest system for factions and ways to interact with them

Banks focus on internal politics warrants a government rework

just the description from the dev diaries from the wiki.
utopia and 1.5 will be huge.

at least we'll get an emu civ

>tfw really like local happiness over global
>tfw really like the new districts and city building style
>tfw really like that stacking is back in some way
>tfw really like the new war system
>tfw really like the simplistic art style
>tfw ai is garbage
>tfw ai seems even more garbage then before
>tfw can't go back to V

was it ever not garbage in 5? they pretty much just roll the dice when deciding what to do

The AI will get better over time. It did with V at least.

My biggest beef right now is that it's virtually impossible to win on some starts because of early units and the importance of strategic resources. There is no counter to legions if you have no strategic resources and there are no counters period to war-carts.

>barbarian camps that spawn near australia become emu nests

modders get to work

What do you think of the latest update? Do you like that it is easier to make friends now? I'm now consistently friends with half of the leaders, whereas before it was hard to be friends with one.

swap and have aussi barbarian camps and a emu civ

They halved warmonger penalties, so it's a lot easier to stay peaceful, because the world doesn't have as much of a permanent grudge due to warmonger penalties.

>halved
>went from impossible to make friends to being friends with everyone

why can devs only grossly overcompensate?

>friends with everyone
Don't exaggerate. They still hate you if you conflict with their agendas. Unless you are lucky that usually means half the world is upset with you for one reason or another.

Haven't played since release, reading patch notes for the previous one and this update. So it's fixed? Can I play now?

I just want to build a comfy empire with the city building elements and enjoy the beautiful cartoony graphics.

yes

W..wait, you can't reverse engineer the dreadnought?

You can take it, but you only get the one.

also you can't upgrade it's ftl drive so hold off on repairing it until you get psi jump drives

Does terraforming destroy any structures on a planet? I have an Alpine World with an Autonomous Fabricator on it that can give me lots of minerals, but I don't have a species suited for colonizing it.

robutts

I'm a Spiritualist and I only have basic Robots, no Droids or Synths, also the planet has a lot of juicy energy tiles and regular Robots are bad at working those.

Also, Robots aren't appearing in my colonist choices when I'm trying to choose who to colonize that planet with.

You probably have AI set to outlawed.

I have allowed AI, and I have some Robot pops on my worlds, I just can't colonize a planet with Robots for some reason.

fug

I think they need to be at least androids to colonise

Is there some kind of requirement for psi drives. I got them once, but in my last game they didn't even come up once.

Robots can't colonize ever.
You have to wait until you get the upgrade to droids.

Gotta be spiritualist
Gotta have Zro

Does VIR ever do anything interesting outside of some of his lines when you dismantle him?

You need a scientist with expertise in psionics.
I'm not 100% but you might be able to reverse engineer it from Spiritualist FEs.

I think it's almost impossible for materialists to get their hands on them.

fug
:D
benis
:DDDDD

Holy shit. The AI in Civilization games has always been idiotic at best, but Civilization VI takes it to a whole new level:

1. It is apparently impossible to maintain a good relationship with any other civilization unless you're losing on purpose. You can give them gift, help them in war, save them from barbarians, establish trade routes, whatever you want. Doesn't matter. You get +10 point for all that and -9001 points for building one more wonder than they did.

2. They build cities in the most retarded places. As soon as you meet an AI player, its first priority becomes to settle as many cities in-between yours as he can to cockblock you. And I know they're shit cities: I've captured them often, they barely ever build anything there. They just do it to fuck with you. And since it fucks with THEIR performance even more than it fucks with yours, they're essentially cutting off their own noses to spite their faces. THE AI ISN'T EVEN TRYING TO BEAT YOU. IT'S TRYING TO MAKE YOU AS MISERABLE AS POSSIBLE.

3. They just lost a war to you where you razed three of their cities, they denounce you, they fuck with you with their spies... Then they ask "Pretty please give me 20 gold per turn and that unique resource you got from a great person. For free." Then they get mad when you say no.

4. They are fucking incompetent at dealing with barbarians. They'll leave a barbarian camp alone for 50 turns, and of course those red assholes only target you despite the other guy's town being right next door. So, you finally decide to wipe it out, get there, almost kill the unit in the camp... Then the other guy shows up with his spearman in 1928 AD, last hits the barb and captures the camp. COULDN'T DO THAT EARLIER, NO SIR.

And that's on top of it not only cheating, but every single one of them ganging up on you (though that's par for the course in Civilization). Whoever designed the AI this time around thought "I don't want the AI to beat them, I just want it to make them ragequit".

You don't need research when you've got more ships than the other guy

why is stellaris here instead of paradox general

>going for Domination with a focus on Science victory
>Stuck landlocked, which is fine, can focus on combat advancements
>Small military because focusing on trying to make buildings and also fairly poor
>Surprise attacked by a civ to the north, flatten my newest city in 2 turns
>Manage to hold the line at my capital and eventually push back and take their capital
>Leave them with one city in the tundra as a husk of their former selves
>In this time, I've fallen behind on my progress and land I was planning to settle was taken by two different aggressive settlers
>One of them attempt to invade my capital
>Get them to a standstill despite the surprise attack, get peace eventually
>Decide to invade the other fuckers to try and get a foothold to prepare to invade India and steal their wonders
>Win the war, but now everyone hates me
>Surprise attacked by the superpower who were pretty much the only people that hadn't denounced me
>just about survive until I can get them to a peace agreement that wasn't giving them all my cities
>As I finally start rebuilding, I get the warning that Gandhi has completed the Manhattan Project

fuck this, I can't even crush all of these twats that keep trying to keep me pushed down and I know if I make a move again I'll just be nuked. I blame this entirely on the original surprise attack

I guess I'll have to research terraformation or conquer an empire with pops that live in Alpine.

Why the fuck did my empire name just change from Fourth reich to aryan combine?

It changes when you switch government types and yes, upgrading it to the advanced version of whatever you're using counts. You can rename it ingame fortunately.

endgame is so fucking boring holy shit

>change your ethic
>face civil war
>?????
>profit

That's when you declare war on every other empire at once
conquer them all or die

I need a new xenophobe species to play with. Haven't gone full xenophobe before and I suck at creating species.

Brainstorm me a species to create /civ4xg/ pls

The league of the 20 thousand planets

ok I know fuck all about Lexx, still on backlog to watch, but fuck it, gonna make an empire out of it

A race of some description that has fanatic xenophobe as one of its governing ethics

Just go for a run where you try to get the achievement to genocide every last other species as a xenophobe.
All-Devourers or something

I like that idea. Eat everyone!

>tfw no insectoids

They're in the Arthropoid phenotype.

Make a race of space spiders.

does it suck?

>arthropoids
>look like eels

giant space eels with legs. Evolution is a wonderful thing

To me, they're somewhat reminiscent of the Worms from Men in Black.

spotted my first xeno that must be destroyed

>87393
uh-oh

ROCK TITTIES

> 2x 87,000 fleet power
RIP League

Post your favorite portraits.

I'd tell you, but i don't know where the fuck to find them

The League of 20,000 planets has just colonised its second planet!

they'll stay put until I'm ready to fight them... right?

you can find all of them on the wiki.

Idk what's going on honestly, vanilla doesn't HAVE any 87k threats at game start except the Fallen Empires, and if it was them, they'd introduce themselves.
How many mods are you running?

yeah I haven't come across any fleets of that strength literally at the start of a game before either except an FE and they're not an FE.

Not many mods mostly cosmetic/flag related ones, other than that I'm running:
larger homeworlds
shorter integration time
beautiful battles
fast ship upgrade

Here is a pic of one of the 87k fleet

[LAYERS OF WHITE INTENSIFIES]

1/2

a 7.7k pirate fleet has decided to pay me a visit too.

This can't be happening. I'm In charge here!

2/2
this one became a new favourite after seeing them in a forgotten empire

These nigs did all kinds of wierd shit in my first ever game, so whenever they pop up it reminds me of that golden month of May when Stellaris was still fun.
For about 5 seconds.

Everytime we get a new leader I love to go on a little documentary kick. Any good ones you'd recommend for Australia and Curtin?

Funny, because
Made it on my Genocide On Sight list after seeing them in a fallen empire.

Might move them to the Kentucky Fried Xeno list after Utopia comes out, though.

kek something definitely seems off now. 4 pirate ships, reaver class, almost 2k power each... Meanwhile my 3 corvettes which I haven't even researched an upgrade for have 14 power combined.

>Kentucky Fried Xeno
Blorg Commonality, always and forever