Audi's 4.2 V8

Is it crazy if I want an Audi S5 with the V8, despite knowing all the problems the 4.2 engine has, and despite knowing it has less performance potential than the newer 3.0T?

Two questions...

1. How much cheaper would that notorious timing chain service be at an independent shop instead of the stealership?

2. Is this timing chain service a one-time thing? Did Audi come up with replacement parts that will be more durable and actually last as the engineers originally intended. Seems like it would be a waste of time if they just throw the same brittle parts back in there.

Anyways... I'll go ahead and brace for the VAG hate, but thanks to anyone who actually has any useful info on this shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=ZAXOciAMYQk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

3. If completed by the previous owner(s), should the timing chain service show up the in the Carfax?

LS: lighter, cheaper, smaller, more horsepower, more torque, better in aftermarket, more documented, easier to find, and more reliable

Oh wait, Veeky Forums autistically hates pushrods, and doesn't know a crankshaft from a valve. In that case, go for your audi moneypit.

What are all the problems the 4.2 has ? I have one in my RS 5 and sounds amazing w/ aftermarket exhaust.

The only thing the new V6 turbos have going for them is 80 lbs lighter. And its completely new and first iteration. Who knows what kind of shit is wrong with them in their first year?

>questions about specific engine
>HURR DURR MUH LS MUH PUSHRODS
>accuses others of having autism

>Did Audi come up with replacement parts that will be more durable and actually last as the engineers originally intended.

I would rather look around companies that make custom replacement parts. VAG engineering likes to put rubbery/plastic part near high-temp objects in the engine bay that will degrade sooner or later.

Did I say I hated Corvettes? Relax! It's not your money and no one is forcing YOU to buy an Audi.

>What are all the problems the 4.2 has ?
I suppose I'm just referring to the most publicized and expensive issues. Good to hear yours is working out. RS5's are super nice.

Do you know if the OEM replacement parts are actually different from the original stuff though? I would hope so.

I guess, but I thought OP was considering buying the Audi 4.2 and wanted opinions. Basically, the 4.2 only has the timing issues and I suggest replacing the chain and the water pump as well. However, my main point is that there are better engines for less money, like the Alfa busso, the Honda c v6, Audi's v6tt from the cabriolet (can't remember the name), etc. If you already have the 4.2 then go ahead and ignore me, but it's really just not worth it unless you can get it cheap.

>Do you know
I wouldnt, and I wouldnt hazard a guess when seeing two identically looking replacement parts. Part A that came from the storage room is of the older design, or part B is from same storage room manufactured later, when issue has been fixed (material slightly changed).

t. not an mechanic or expert on manufactured parts difference throughout the model years

Most likely the replacement OEM part will have just as a longetivity as the original part.

LMAO

OP here. Just chatted with a service rep from my local Audi dealer's website. Here's what wisdom he had to share:

"I was advised that the timing chain for your vehicle's engine would cost $17,500 they would have to drop the engine and separate it from transmission and this service needs to get done every 100k miles."

Fuck. That.

/thread

I knew it was bad, but that is BAD

Figures, the parts alone cost 3k. An independent shop would still charge like 10k for the whole thing.

On a side note, the RS4/R8 engine is very similar but doesn't seem to have the same problems, it's only on the 340hp engines.

Wait until they depreciate, they said.
Buy a sports car for third of the price, they said.
>17k
tip top kekkeroni

Makes me wonder what guys do when they buy this car without doing research, stumble upon said problem(s), then get that bill and start panicking.

Of course the instinct would be to just dump it on some other poor fuck, but how noticeable are the symptoms?

A rumbling noise coming from the back of the engine, like balls in a ball pit, is usually the first sign.
Then it gets progressively worse, misfires, going into limp mode, and finally (when the timing gets knocked completely out of whack) bent valves/grenaded engine.

Just get an IS F. Luxury/performance. No bullshit. Good to go.

This. You also get the benefit of not having the engine in an utterly retarded location.

Only bad thing I've heard about these is they go through the factory brakes at a ridiculous rate. Replacing with aftermarket should do the trick.

>17 thousand dollars to drop an engine

What?

I had an S4 with this engine

i loved the engine, the sound it made, and that timingn chain whine was delicious.

1)the timing chain job at an indie would cost probably around 2k. Parts alone is 1k.

2) No, it's not a one time thing. Although an updated part has been made, they're the same shitty plastics.

He's probably howling with his buddies in the service department about my misfortune. I get the last laugh though because little does he know I was only pretending to own an S5 and talking to me was a complete waste of time.

Come on man if you literally thinm you have to pay 17k, let alone 10k in an independent shop you obviously dont have the required network of friends with mechanical experience to buy a used sportscar.

>FWD-based
>sportscar
lmao

How is true Quattro FWD based? Thought that was only the Halidex or whatever.

every audi except the R8 is engineered with FWD in mind
that's why the engine is ahead of the front axle and their one defining handling characteristic is apocalyptic understeer

I get that the engine is not placed in an ideal location, but isn't the Quattro system like 60-40 rear bias?

still understeers, still has the front axle pushed way too far back
still FWD-based engineering

>he keeps autistically spamming the same shit
Yes it has shitty weight distribution and understeer. That doesn't mean quattro is FWD based, you illiterate dip.

Hmm. I guess our definition of FWD-based differs.

>Subaru is FWD bias
Heard it here first folks.

FWD-based, not FWD-biased

it's based on FWD rather than RWD
that makes it FWD-based

What FWD platform is it based on? A Passat?

Fake news
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=ZAXOciAMYQk

So in theory, if you pushed a Mustang engine further forward, it would become a FWD-based car? I'm confused.

no, a passat has a transverse engine, audis except the a3 and tt use a longitudinal engine
it's still built for FWD instead of RWD

4matic > quattro

Get a CTS-V

FWD-based AWD means transverse engine and a driveshaft with extra clutch or viscous coupling, retard. It's a well defined term.

no, if you took a Mustang and re-engineered it to have AWD and FWD variants (like audi) it'd be FWD-based

I don't know much about Cadillacs. Can you get these for under $30k? That's my limit.

>transverse engine
Nah

I mean you'd have to go older obviously, but they use the same LS engines from Corvettes, so the drivetrain is solid

Infotainment is meh, but I'd rather live with that than a $17k repair bill

kys yourself

Honda made longitudinal FWD cars, there's no reason that a longitudinal AWD system can't be FWD based

>and this service needs to get done every 100k miles
Yeah. You know those horribly engineered parts that almost caused catastrophic engine failure in your car? Well, you see, what we're going to do here is replace with those exact same parts so we can then do this again in 100k miles. Thank you for buying Audi.

What in the fuck...

haha u sure pranked him user

Hey, I made him go fetch me the information when he could've been scratching his balls and surfing Facebook. That's a win for me.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic

My mom had an '05 S4 6-speed with this engine, though she sold it at 50k miles so never did the timing chain service.

It sounded amazing and had gobs of instant torque, but it was noticeably slower than the STi I had at the time.

I would never buy a car with that engine just because of the maint. costs.

>she sold it at 50k miles
Was this like right before warranty ran out? Haha