How much money does it cost to develop a dating app?

I seriously have something that will bury Tinder.

Can you code?
Do you know how to read code?
If you hire someone can you read code well enough to know if the coder is shit or not?

no to all three

amifucked?

Depends on the complexity of your idea and your ability to code

If you can code the only cost will be getting a developer license, server costs, domain, random miscellaneous stuff

If you can't code it depends on the complexity of your idea... Is it something that has never been done before? Could you write up a software requirements specification (SRS) or a Software Design Description (SDD)?

In terms of cost, Do it yourself

Then its going to be pretty damn expensive.

Additionally if you can tell me where you are now in terms of skill/experience and how far into this project you are I can help you decide what to do next

It's not much more complex than Tinder. Just a few tweaks, really. It'll be much better for women than for men. I'll put it that way.

I can't find any Pakis on Fiverr. Bummed because I thought that would be a cheap option.

I don't have any programming experience or skills.

>It'll be much better for women than for men
So you are just recreating bumble?

It'll be wayyyyyy worse for men than Bumble. I use Bumble and it's not even that bad (at least you know what women are actually into you).

>le idea man with no programming skills

kys my dude

I'm seeing up to 2 million USD on a similar question on Quora LMFAO

Admins can delete this thread

Okay thats not good, but its not the end of the world

With no coding skills whatsoever you're going to want to write your idea as a "Software Requirements Specification" (SRS), thats typically how management or the idea guys without technical ability communicate their idea to people with more technical ability

I wouldn't be too worried about finding programmers right now, make sure you can translate your idea into an SRS. Its really easy, google it and you'll find a ton of examples

Google "stony brook buzzword srs" and you'll find a decent example you can build off of.

After you finish that you can go to your local college campus and ask some CS students to work with you, show it to a friend who can code, or you can hire a bunch of indians or whatever.

The most important thing is getting your idea closer to production, an SRS is your best bet at making progress

If you were to go about starting tho would it be best to invest in programming skills to make it yourself or find a friend that's good at programming and focusing on other aspects of the business

Let's take Steve jobs as an example, he used general knowledge of computers and focused on his other skills letting woz do most of the technical work

In most cases would it be more proficient for a Jobs type to learn more about the technical aspects of the buisness

That or you can learn to code, you can learn everything you need to know in a single semester at pretty much any college.

If you take this route, all you want to do is make something that works and demonstrates value.

Once that is out of the way you can work on getting investors, hiring coders, making it look polished, ect.

Thank you this is all very helpful. Which languages would be most productive in this case?

learn to program, it's not difficult. with the wealth of free information available on the internet you can become a proficient web developer (full stack, not the meme front-end """designers""") in

What's wrong with being a big picture guy?

>no programmer wants to work for some idea man retard who has no appreciation for the technical back end work but jumps for joy when you swap out #ff000 for #cc000 on the homepage.
These kind of clients make me want to shoot myself.

If you're going to learn from a college, most likely you will learn java. This is good because you can develop android apps with java.

In my opinion Java is the best way to learn because it handles a lot of nitty gritty stuff for you, and lets you just focus on coding. Additionally most students in America learn Java, so when you inevitably run into a problem with your code, if you google it you'll find an answer 99% of the time.

For iPhone apps now you'd use Swift, but I wouldn't start there.

If you want to impress nerds then start with c or c++ (don't do this, there is no point)

Some people will recommend Python or Javascript as first languages, I do not agree with this. You'll eventually need to switch to something like Java anyway and end up having a lot more to learn.

Have you talked to any of your potential market before developing your idea?
Are you sure your product will fill a real need for a real group of people?

Great, there's a lot of Java stuff on TPB.

The problem with being a big picture guy is that a company will not hire you.

There is a huge supply of self described big picture guys and typically they have little understanding of what can and cannot be done and very little experience.

In the real world, big picture guys are the guys with a tremendous amount of experience and skill. Nobody starts out as a big picture guy, but it is a job that will present itself to you once you've become a master of your field.

So "real" big picture guys tend to be people who are already very skilled and have value outside of just having ideas.

Its very rare to see a person with no technical abilities and a ton of ideas actually make it somewhere.

I've talked to women that love the idea.

So would you recommend focusing on years of programming, trying to master it to be your main skill and lead with that or become competent enough in around 6 months to be able to talk to programmers and understand what they're saying and start your own company as the head while they do the bulk of the technical work

I disagree.

Java's good for learning introductory programming concepts and practices but lacks application.

Learn full stack web development.

Start with JS for your basic programming concepts/practices.

Next pick up HTML/CSS for front-end stuff.

Learn PHP for the back-end.

Finally mySQL for database stuff.

You can create pretty much any website you've ever visited with these simple technologies. More and more things are moving to the browser and browsers are getting more and more powerful.

It's far easier to attract traffic to a website than to a software program or an app. And there's very little a piece of software or an app can do that can't simply be offered on a website.

Microsoft Word can be replaced with Google Docs. Skype with discord. Apps with mobile friendly layouts.

Learn full stack web dev and there is no limit to what you can build.

You either study business or study computer science.

Either way its the same amount of time really.

If you have the time and money, pick one (or both) and go to college.

A huge thing to do is to find a mentor who's done something similar to what you want to do. Such people do exist and many of them will be willing to help you.

I took the computer science route and things are looking really good for me.

people with app ideas who can't code are fucking retarded if they seriously think they can turn it into something

if you want to create an app you NEED to be able to code, or someone WILL zuckerberg you

check out this guy posting from 2009 lmao

This guy has a good point. I would still start with java, but this is the golden age of web dev.

Specifically I suggest you learn basic web dev stuff like html/css, then move on to

MongoDB, Express.js, Angular.js, Node.js

>java lacks application
>a majority of websites and applications you use are run on the JVM

This is how I know you have no idea what you're talking about

kek

>a majority of websites and applications you use are run on the JVM

L O L

do you have a lot of business experience? can you pay me $150k/year + equity if i come code for you?

unless the answer to both those questions is yes, i am better off quitting my job and working for myself than i am working for you. at least if i work for myself i own 100% of the business instead of working my ass off to make you rich.

maybe i'll humor you with an interview so i can ask enough questions to figure out your idea

>More and more things are moving to the browser and browsers are getting more and more powerful.
is this why almost every major website has a dedicated app because modern browsers can't handle all the bloat?

Any Android application ever
Any Java application or webapp
Any Scala application or webapp
Any Hadoop/MapReduce/Spark/Big Data job
Any cross-compiled language JRuby, JPython, RingoJS

JVM is ubiquitous because it works well. "le slow bytecode" meme has been dead since the late 90s.

>MongoDB, Express.js, Angular.js, Node.js
>le nosql meme

If you want to be "hip" then I guess you can do this instead of LAMP.

>Java webapps
Good one.

Java might be there "under the hood" on lots of things but as someone who wants to pick up programming and get their hands dirty making things Java's not doing them any good.

They have apps because once you download an app you're more likely to consume the content more frequently.

And it's more streamlined on a device.

I don't see whats wrong with nosql

Coding isn't the problem. You could probably hire a pajeet on freelancer to code the app for a few hundred bucks and some toilet paper.

The real cost will be in the server you will need to run the app. A dating app would require a client server setup.

go read some mongo horror stories, it's fucking terrible at scale and has been known to fucking lose data out of the blue. we use it for some legacy systems at my company and it's dogshit, i'm just glad i don't have to deal with it. the convenience aspect fucking disappears after you read a few chapters of a relational databases textbook and understand how they work. there are good nosql databases but they're overkill for startups.

lol get a load of this retard. tinder has at least 20 top-tier engineers working there, pajeet's not going to build you an app that can compete with them.

You can't do sophisticated ad hoc queries. If you're just throwing data in/out then it's fine.

>The real cost will be in the server you will need to run the app. A dating app would require a client server setup.

you don't know what the hell you're talking about. this isn't fucking facebook. OP could rent a server for $20/month if that.

>you can become a proficient web developer (full stack, not the meme front-end """designers""") in

So how do I avoid going back to mysql

yes, he's right

I don't know about 'majority' but definitely a lot.

Pretty much every big corporation is either with oracle or microsoft.

then again if you're going for the entrepreneur start-up hustler meme then you can just stick to javascript, for sure.

Could somebody recommend a beginning course on TPB? There are a lot to choose from.

postgres

What's wrong with mySQL?

Babby can't into joins or something?

lmao

i'll paypal you $10 for your idea man. take the offer, it's the most you're ever gonna make for it.

hey man quit hurting my feelings

lol. ok.

try $500 million though. keep shitposting

you know you're not going to have an inkling of an idea what the fuck is going on until you have months of dedicated study under your belt, right?
Like development on your killer app won't even begin to begin for months or years

That's fine. I'm willing to put in the work.

okay. tutorials from Lynda or pluralsight are pretty good. There's also udemy, codeacademy and some others but I haven't really used them.

Start with HTML/CSS/JS, you'll need it no matter what you do. If you want to get into ios then study objective-C or swift. Java for android. You can also just write your phone app in HTML/CSS but it will be less performant.
You'll also probably need SQL no matter what you're going to do.

gl

yeah, definitely, you're going to hire some paki from fiver who'll build you a $500m business

btw, learning tech so you can identify good tech people to hire is a complete waste of your time. you'd be better off learning business or design so you can at least bring something to the table that they don't already have

how are you going to convince a good tech person to build your product for you anyway? even if you have a proven track record in business or you're a brilliant designer, that's not enough. they'll want equity. at least 50% if there's only two of you. they're going to be doing half the work, after all. if you don't want to give them that much equity you'll need to give them enough cash to compensate for the risk. that's a lot of cash, do you have a giant bank balance? if you're not a businessman or a designer there's literally no point in them teaming up with you. they could go build a product alone for the same amount of risk and keep 100% of the equity

given that i'm the exact type of person who you'll want to eventually hire you should probably listen to my shitposts, btw

your idea's worth $10, but my offer's off the table now

Well the thing is that I'm 20 years old and want to get into Virtual Reality
It's new territory and I can't find anyone that fits my idea of a mentor that exists yet. I'm not sure if it's even best to learn 3D modeling and programming or go the buisness learning route. I'm very confused at to what the best option is if I want to start my own VR company and the skills required to do so. I might try to intern at some local place (live near silicon beach) and email the heads at major VR startups to see what is needed but I'm really lost at this point

just start learning some shit. you don't have to formulate the perfect plan before you start, you can course correct along the way.

Interning is a very good idea. Most definitely you should do that.

You don't have anything. You are an idea man retard sitting naked in his dimly lit bedroom surrounded by crusty socks and old takeout containers

thank you
>crusty socks
actually, i'm on nofap

/thread

fag

you need a partner who can code. simple as that.

say you get a firm to make your app. you put it out to the app store and people start using it. who the fuck is going to update it as bugs are found etc.? you're going to keep going back to the paki's to make your updates? think of how slow that will be. you need someone there with you that can fix shit as soon as it becomes apparent.

>inb4 he doesnt want to give up 50% of his "$500 million dollar" idea

I understand I have to give up equity. No big deal. I could be Dan Bilzerian with $100 million.

Thanks, I needed to read that

Never give out any software related advice again.

take a learn to code apps course. it will take 5 weeks at most and you can find one that builds a tinder clone as part of the course. tinder isn't difficult in code terms. apps aren't difficult in general.

start tomorrow, finish it by valentine's day.

you should be able to google a decent course.

this is a post straight from /g/. such a shitty, snarky, know-it-all attitude. no one would want to work with someone like this.

Lol you have heard about Amazon Web Services, Rackspace etc.? Servers all setup ready for you, pay tiny amounts and only pay for what you use. Scaling up = higher costs, Scaling up = more revenue, thus eliminating the need to buy hefty infrastructure when you grow your business.

OP, I say get panjeet to code the app. Create a solid (and I mean SOLID) business plan. Get some people to test out the platform and then start approaching VCs/Angel Investors/Apply for Business grants. If you have a Minimum Viable Product, a good business plan and a plan of what you're going to do with the capital invested (i.e. rebuild the app using real engineers) then you'll find that people will be chucking money at you for little equity. The tech scene is here to stay for a while, do it whilst there is an abundance of money floating around

sorry we work in a high-demand field and don't do it for free

why would anyone with valuable tech skills (the kind required to build a successful app) work with OP for shit pay and no equity? it's nonsensical. there are millions of idea guys, and thousands of them also have business or design experience or both and they're willing to share equity with a technical cofounder.

find me a single successful business (worth $500m according to OP's estimate) where the tech person learned to code in 5 weeks and/or let themselves get fucked on equity. it doesn't exist.

if you want to hire good people you yourself have to be good and you have to compensate them properly. that's just how it works.

Now that's what I want to hear. Angel investors and VCs. Thanks man.

>tfw you want to cum inside rainbow dash

dont buy anything from fiverr they are garbage the code will be buggy as hell.