Veeky Forums - Volvo General

>Wagons Edition

>Haven't seen a Volvo General in forever, so get in here, brick lovers.

>Post your Volvo

>Volvo questions and feels

>How many fans of the master race do we have on Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

volvohowto.com/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-on-volvo-s40-v40/
youtube.com/watch?v=6RQ9UabOIPg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZvtjnxpFRbU
ebay.com/itm/U-S-A-Latest-VIDA-DICE-for-VOLVO-after-1999-OBD2-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-2014D-/262273616731?hash=item3d10b9cb5b:g:15gAAOSwXshWsbM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how much can your volvo hold?

Damn I'm actually impressed

2008 volvo THICC reporting in

Today's toy

Two weeks ago's toy

We racin' boys

Thanks so much for supporting this general, Bois! Bump this thread so Volvos get more recognition on Veeky Forums

Just waxed it desu

Is that supposed to be a pnp reference?

fairbanks ak reporting, t5 with bosch whites and R ecu, just passed 205k @ 11psi, getting time to retire it.
past volvos
242gt>fuck me I sold it in 2002 why

Why are volvo's the thiccest cars, and is it because they were obsessed with giving them hips from about 2000 onwards

There's really no need to care about a Volvo made after 2000 2bh

>S60/V70R
>Polestars
>S80

Muh bricks

Building on the underwhelming success of the 480.

Introducing the Volvo 840

Thats real nice user

I think its a reference to transmission faults

Brahs i have to do the timing belt on my 2005 2.5 S40 but I'm too lazy, what's the expected amount i should pay at a shoop? Like 600-700$ USD?

Also i think my fuel pump is going out rip

My dad took my sisters S40 T5 into the dealer and they only charged $750. Seems like a pretty good deal to me because people have said they've been quoted $800-1100 for a whiteblock belt job. I chose to spend like $400 and do the water pump, tensioner, serp and timing belt, and roller all together myself. I'll snap a pick of my shitbox at the grocery when I go to get beer in a few min since I have no recent pictures.

>all FWD or FWD-bias
>can't take an LS
worthless

$750? Wow I'd gladly get it changed for that amount at a dealer. Maybe i will call and ask

Shes my volvo. Slowly fixing it up.

I don't know if it was a special because they've gotten stuff done there before recently or if that's just the price. I thought it sounded great for dealer pricing too.

Nice Volvo thread

My 95 960 is about to die for the last time and it's killing me to imagine letting it go.

That's a pretty late model. Get an old 760Tic or 780 or maybe 940 top of the line. I wouldn't really look at anything else newer if I were you. The 850 is an amazing car but something was lost at the point. Its the last true volvo but its a bit odd. I can only say its the brick part. If you go smack the crap out of a 850 everywhere then to an older volvo theres an obvious difference. In terms of driving the 850 is better all around though.

While the 960 coexisted with the 850 it had more of that old school style.

>you will never be good, successful, conscientious father and drive your children around in a V90

>can't drive it anymore
>i'm fucking awful at fixing cars
>cant afford shop

how much does one cost

wagons can carry a lot

whats wrong with her senpai? she looks really guud from the outside

she is good on the outside. But i think something wrong with my brakes. Front left gets really warm when driving

why not?

I once moved 2 people and an entire student flat minus furniture across Oxford as a favour for a friend

And that was only a V40
I was impressed

Checked your calipers are moving freely, no pad rub?

n-no bully V40

i'm... very bad with cars. At least keeping them running. I've been mach 2 sheltered and had everything taken care off by someone else for many years. No longer.

So, uhm... no, i haven't

time to get your hands dirty

Can't wait for ten years from now when I'll be able to pick up an S90 with some unexplainable electrical problem for cheap :^)

augh... yeah, i'll try to. Is it hard?

but a v70r can be had
the only problem with them is vague steering. no feedback

Brakes are usually pretty straightforward, unless you're dealing with bolts that haven't been undone for 10+ years and have corroded so much they're completely stuck and the heads round off as soon as you put any force on them.

You'll probably be fine.

i mean, you are dealing with someone who is really inexperienced

Brakes are easy enough. Just keep access to Google/forums/the internet nearby.

okay, i guess...

volvohowto.com/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-on-volvo-s40-v40/

From what I can tell it's a pretty well designed setup, I doubt you'll have any trouble. Make sure the brake pads can slide around on their holders freely, you might wanna add some copper grease to the part where they touch the bracket.

And when you're done, when you can drive your car again, that feels awesome. YOU did that.

Say you have 15k, drive 100km a day for work. What to get brehs

That's true, I like the DIY-ability of the P2 platform when it comes to repairs. Plus, having VIDA is always a positive.

I think I'll be driving an S80 T6 the foreseeable future though. I got the main car (2004) plus a project car (2000) and a parts car with a burnt engine I can salvage interior, lights, exterior, etc. from (1999). When those two cars seize up on me and all the parts go dry then I'll see what my options are.

I've actually been meaning to ask a question about that project car. Everything on it is fine except the transmission (4T65E-GT, yeah) -- it's stuck in 3rd/limp-home. When I hooked VIDA/DICE up to it, it tells me that the TCM is throwing a faulty signal. I've never seen that before, our Volvo guy told us that there should be slippage codes but it's not reporting anything except the faulty signal. Is that representative of something else going wrong or should I have Xeromodex fix/rebuild the box?

I've been toying with the idea of finding a 740 or 940 with a blown headgasket or something and swapping in a 5.3 LS. However, I've also read that the wiring in the volvos are nightmare fuel which makes me concerned. What level of difficulty is an engine swap into a Volvo chassis compared with my only previous experience, swapping an 3.8 for a 4.6 in an sn95.

Also, once I shoehorn it in, what chassis rigidity am I looking forward to? I like the idea of a 5.3 volvo better than a turd gen or something American and old because I want a decent chassis if I'm spending all that efford on swapping an engine in. Will a Volvo 940 for example be able to handle ~350hp without feeling like an overwhelmed wet noodle? They have a reputation of being tough, but I figured I would ask anyway.

Not bullying, I love my V40
Drove a P2 V70 on some military trials haulage, and that was a dream. New V60 was comfy as hell, but a bit too tech focused for me.

This guide looks nice and clear
Found you two youtube videos that could help diagnose brake issues
youtube.com/watch?v=6RQ9UabOIPg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZvtjnxpFRbU

Good luck! There's plenty of advice out there.

I cant even get vida to work

The two S60s are mine, plus a 2009 2.5T AWD I'm fixing to replace the silver one.

big thanks for helping clueless me. I'll try next weekend

I don't know if there's a Hayne's workshop manual for your volvo, but if there is, it's worth its weight in gold and will really help you. Both in regards to smaller tasks and more difficult problems with your car.

The system specs are really specific. You can get away with less than the RAM it requires by modding one of the setup files, but it's pretty much necessary to have Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. If you try it on any other OS there's most likely gonna be problems and it's not gonna be worth it to figure out

Sage

Where are people getting Vida and hardware from? Looking to buy a V70 and I'd like to be able to tinker with it myself

Any other recommended digital tools? An OBD reader? ECU tuning companies these days seem to sell programming boxes as well which I love the idea of

My low mile, garaged it's entire life 940 Turbo

I bought mine here: ebay.com/itm/U-S-A-Latest-VIDA-DICE-for-VOLVO-after-1999-OBD2-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-2014D-/262273616731?hash=item3d10b9cb5b:g:15gAAOSwXshWsbM
As far as a computer goes, I just installed a Windows 7 Pro virtual machine and put VIDA on that. This thing's a lifesaver because I turned off the running lights on three cars, cleared the SRS light caused by a disconnected battery, and diagnosed the project car multiple times. The new dealership would've charged ~$250 for all that messing around.

That's all I have for messing around really. I have one of those cheap MaxiScan OBD readers for fun but, like, all of the time I'm working on my cars which are compatible with VIDA. The DiCE tool plugs in with OBD so I always choose that over the MaxiScan.

I can't recommend any ECU tuning companies but I do know that my old dealership told me that there were definitely some ECU tuning options available. I don't know from where though but I don't think it'd be too hard to find.

Fuck you Blaise

Bump

Bought my 244 Turbo a few weeks ago
It mostly stock but there is a power steering leak thats pissing me off but overall is pretty solid.

what's your opinion of the S60R? I have a V70R that's just about on its way out, have loved that car enough to want another Volvo and the S60R caught my eye

Where are my Volv/o/ bois???

My '97 940 LPT.

I love it and Haul shit in and behind it regularly and big enough to sleep in it.

340.000 Kilometers on the counter and plan to double that.

Fuck I want a 940 so bad. Where are you at? That thing looks clean af for 300k kms

Aww yiss my brothers

Please reply

Hey, I have no clue about the engine swap, but i imagine it would be odd going from swedish to American.

However, the chassis is extremely rigid. These old Volvos are known for being stiff pieces of steel. They are referred to as bricks, after all.

The Netherlands.

Just had yearly maintenance and the mechanic said it looks great too mechanically.

Delicious car, user. Love the colour.

Cheers man, I'll take a look
Good to hear it's relevant in the real world!

Hello real human V70R owner
Are they as nightmarishly complicated as they sound? I really want one, because there's no wagon as cool

And yes I know about
>Run hot, melt cylinder liners
>AWD system occasionally lunches itself
>4C hates your spine
>Turning circle like a pregnant aircraft carrier

Buy one and keep a fund for potentially expensive issues?

Fellow 2008 C30T5 owner reporting in

Any one knows a good tune for these cars? I mostly want to delete the tork limiter they have on first and second

S80 had an yamaha V8 in it, and those motors are far larger than an LS
you could do a swap if you want

Working on the engine sure isn't too much fun... most basic maintenance isn't difficult though.

Never had any problems with temps, AWD, or the suspension (i actually kinda like the suspension, but i may also be masochistic. It's just not worth shelling out thousands to make it better)

And the turning circle is exaggerated imho. It is a wagon so don't expect to make turns like a Fiat, but it's also not bad. i make u-turns with ease

Note this, the car has been in the family for close to 10 years now and we've never had to do any sort of expensive outside-the-norm maintenance. My parents were the second owners, they took very good care of the car, and when they passed it onto me I took very good care of the car.

I can't guarantee you'll have the same luck as I did (so I would definitely have a back-up plan and some cash on-hand,) but I would trust that car to take me cross-country tomorrow with 240k+ miles, and if you get a well-maintained and preserved V70R you should too.

I have a cheap Bluetooth ODB reader with torque on my phone, what can the VIDA scanner do that I cant on my current set up?
Not trying to be a jerk, just a subhuman third worlder where paying 80 USD for something marginally better would set me back for quite a while

how do i make the v40 not shit?

What has been your experience with the C30? I'm looking to get one soon. Also have you looked into the Volvo Polestar tune?

It's not hard to swap it, you can buy 740 and 240 LS swap motor mounts for 400, I made my own because I have a welder and metal so why not.
It doesn't matter if you go from Swedish to American, that's a pretty pointless statement to make.

B5234T

What do you hate about the comfiest Mitsubishi estate ever made?
They're fine little wagons

Very promising! Thank you for your input.

Plan is to keep my existing V40 until I have enough saved for an R and initial funding for tyres/spares, then keep it off the road until I'm happy it's mechanically sound

your solution is not buying an automatic :^)

hilton tune to remove the torque limiter. just keep in mind it's there to protect the transmission, not to nerf your experience

My dad owned a Volvo sedan (model uncertain) when I was young and I think it's given me incurable Volvautism.

What model Volvo makes the best first car, if any are really suitable for someone with no money and little mechanical knowledge whatsoever?

none of them. all of them will be expensive and difficult to repair. older volvos will just require more repairs

go with a honda civic/accord or something.

I was afraid that would be the answer

850 or 240

nothing newer then 2000

I love my S60R, but I don't drive it much so it doesn't have much of a chance to surprise me with expensive repairs. The real problem with them now is that they have become cheap enough for idiots to own. Very few are still in the hands of people who properly care for them, and as such they are becoming fucked.

Anyhow, my experiences with mine are as follows. The 4C suspension is expensive, but is very comfortable when it's working. The power is good, but you get used to it after a while. The seats are the best part about the car, probably only second to the seats in the new S90. I have the iPd exhaust and downpipe in mine and while I enjoy the extra little oomph they give, I probably wouldn't recommend them at iPd's price. iPd's strut bar conversion and a GROM bluetooth adapter are a must though.

Pigfat
The car is way too heavy for any power train besides the 2.5T, heard some one in my town used to have a 2.0 NA C30, he had to get a tune for it because the stock 130HP is way, way too weak for this car, and in the end, he endup with only 170HP, so around the NA 2.4L stock, cant imagine how weak these cars can be on the 2.0 stock

Other than that, they still have some tank qualities from past volvos, they were the safest car in the world before the XC60 and can take a beating, just know that when things do break, its gonna be expensive
Had a PCV failure, because its hard to get to it to fix it and the only way to fix it is a replacement, endup getting a dealer to fix it, it was expensive

Polestar tune is a meme, dont get it, weak gains, no torque limiter delete for the auto models and way too overpriced, also not available in every country

I wish I had a manual, but there are only 74 manual C30T5 in brazil, and people price them way too high because of it, shit sucks
And the limiter is there because volvo doesnt want to change the tranny fluid under warranty, so they limit the amount of torque the engine makes to save some bucks, actual gears can take 400hp tunes fine, you just need to change the fluids more often

ive got the stage 1 shark performance tune right now, sitting at 258hp/296ftlb tq.
was originally at stage 3 making 310hp but shit got weird that that point

i agree the car feels pretty pigfat. im sick of the annoying fuckhuge turning radius. i wish the c30 was either rwd or awd