Any History myths they still teach in elementary school where you live?

Any History myths they still teach in elementary school where you live?

>They teach us here in primary school that we won the "Filibuster War" or "Campaign of 1856" against William Walker's almighty professional army, being a bunch of poor farmers fighting with machetes. Some guy that has a monument set fire to a ranch a the filibusters fled in fear and we won.

>In college I learned that Costa Rica actually had an army and it was a top-tier professional army with top-tier equipment for the time while the filibusters were a semi-pro army composed of unemployed European immigrants and homeless veterans that had nothing to lose so they joined a private funded mercenary colonial expedition in hopes of bettering their situation, and sometimes had to bring their own weapons and paid their equipment.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacy_Clause
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm sure there were others, but right now the one that I can remember most vividly is that

>The American revolution invented guerilla warfare
>The English were retards who walked in straight lines on the roads and got shot at by clever minutemen from the woods, who only ran into trouble because they had no supplies.

>Italy has actually switched sides during WII.
>Actually, it surrendered, it's just that the Germans weren't going to do the same.

Also Juan Santamaría's (not real by the way) statue that we have here was came here because of a switcheroo. The statue was planned to go to some french caribbean island (hence the french uniform on it). At that time the Costa Rican Uniform was Prussian in nature

Hitler was le ebil devil!

The fucking Patriot. God what an awful movie.

back to pol

Feliz 15 de septiembre mae!

> Historical myths still taught
That the British Empire was worse than Hitler.

>witch hunting was common during the dark ages

igualemente mop

This is what leftypol shilling amounts to these days

>he actually believes hitler was a devil

these are the people you share this board with....

That's the truth though. Also, in what alternate reality? Last time I checked most places taught the 'eternal anglo did nothing wrong!' narrative.

the fact that people still say Dark Ages is in itself bad history

British primary schools still teach students that British red coats were red either because it was the cheapest colour available or to hide the blood

I thought walker was defeated by a coalition.

I thought it was cheaper, but then again, I'm not going to pretend that I'm an expert on 17th century dye prices. What was the reason for the red coat then?

We are taught that it was because Britain had style and we didnt

This kind of shit always hits me deeply.
Half the reason I gave up on a history major was my disillusionment with the integrity of the teaching profession. ALL my history teachers were liars, panderers, even slanderers when they ventured into modern events. Always politically warping facts to suit their whims, honestly it'd be easier for me to list the times they were right than the times they were wrong.

Guess that's what I get for living in a shithole.

>all of present-day Germany spoke High German, ever since the days of Charlemagne
>Germany never was a colonial power at any point in its history
>Nazis were not elected, supported and welcomed by your grandparents... just by everyone else around them.
>the US of A are the absolutely greatest nation in the world, our noble liberators and can do absolutely no wrong
>the invasion Afghanistan is a just cause
>Communism=totalitarian regime
>West Germany was better than Eastern Germany in every way
>Germany is completely unified and equal nowadays

It was the cheapest.

Roman legions were dyed in whatever was the cheapest at least.

How the Native Americans met Columbus or the pilgrims is always funny in school. There's a lot of talk about friendly dinners and sharing and not so much about the killing.

I was taught that we won the Vietnam war.

It certainly wasn't the cheapest, but it was one of the cheaper dyes that Britain had access to while standing out from the states that they were commonly at war with. The cheapest would have been lighter blues because of how prominent woad was (and later Indigo). However, Britain used Kermes (and later Cochineal) in order to stand out from the common blues of France and the German states.

>The American Revolution was justified.
>intervention in WW1 was justified
>Americans were le just liberators of Europe, spreading peace and Democracy wherever they went
>Manifest Destiny wasn't a terrible idea
We didn't even talk about about the banana republica and American intervention in Latin America, beyond the Spanish War

The whole 'hide the blood' thing was locked away in the back of my mind, but I do suddenly remember them telling me that. Huh.

>Cuban missile crisis was Russia's fault
>Ireland dindu nuffin, ignore the genocided picts.

>tfw parading qt's in miniskirts
I love this day.

t. commie

No they switched sides. There's a reason the Germans had to move very quickly to disarm the Italian army once the armistice was signed (and had made some preparations prior to that as they knew it was coming).

Not to mention smallpox.

The US civil war was about """state's rights""" and not about slavery.

>inb4 some retard thinks this is true
Each state that left the union drafted their own declaration of why they did so, and they ALL mention preserving the institution of slavery as their main reason.

>everyone is equal

The great man/genius of man theory. As in
>one day man realized his savage ways and invented agriculture
>one day man realized slavery is evil and abolished it

>t. literal faggot

>hussites were noble protestants n shit and not half robber rabble that set back the development and culture of the region decades
>versailles was hella bad and everyone should feel bad and everyone wanted ww1 and everyone was nationalistic and evil and wanted war, what do you mean why are we literally repeating german propaganda from the 1920s
>border fortifications coulda stopped hitler 4 sure, p.s. don't mention the fact that they weren't finished or equipped
>we wuz betrayed at munich it's totally everyone else's fault and our own diplomacy or internal policy has literally nothing to do with it

you're a retard if you don't realize the significant shift from state power to federal power that occurred after the civil war

the central conflict was that the federal government was trying to regulate laws that the constitution had delegated to the state

never before that had the federal government overridden a SINGLE state decision because the federal government lacked legislative power almost entirely

the result of the civil war was that states are incapable of administering their own courts, and as time progresses, they can't even decide their own education systems

history isn't all about making niggers feel bad

kill. your. self.

>The Normans used trickery and perfidy to defeat the noble Saxons!

t. anglo shireboi

Was taught about MUH ROMMEL and MUH PANZERS a lot, mainly to make Monty look like less of an incompetent ass.

>we dindu nuffin

>never before that had the federal government overridden a SINGLE state decision because the federal government lacked legislative power almost entirely
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacy_Clause

Is that pic from Buenos Aires???

Explain the New model army chosing red then

>Monty look like less of an incompetent ass.

But he won, how is that incompetent?

Battle of Hastings was pretty close actually. The A-S's weren't BTFO or anything, Harold's eye just happened to get in the way of an arrow.

>The Continuation War was not started due to Finnish aggression

On the flipside, I hear that some Russian schools still teach that Finland initiated the Winter War. Which would be completely insane.

Its one of the shittiest battles of the day.
>took the whole fucking day.
>Anglo-Saxons just stayed their fucking positions the whole time.
>Normans do stupid shit like going to the forest and attacking at the flanks with archers, only for them to be ineffective/hit their own men.

Pure fucking attrition.

" "Dolchstoß"! We were winning in Vietnam, if only our brave military hadn't been stabbed in the back by a traitorous public and cowardly politicians. Never forget the 1975 criminals and their abandonment of South Vietnam"

I was unironically taught this in AP US history.

Was taught in primary school that Nazi war criminals made captive Jews into lampshades.

Also that Nazis were involved in the commercial manufacture of soap from human fat.

This isn't entirely incorrect though

Partially true. Admittedly the refusal to aid South Vietnam and the Watergate scandal played role. However, much like 1918, the situation is made to be better than it actually was. The military is cast as undefeatable and totally absolved of any guilt (of defeat) during the conduct of the war.

>as their main reason
As a reason, not the main reason.

Not all of the New Model Army wore red coats actually, many wore blue or grey, but yes in that instance red was the cheapest dye to import. Red didn't become universal until the 18th century.

Don't forget carpets made from Jewish hair.

I've never heard that bit about them hitting their own men. kek

Is there more about that?

I was never taught this and I am British.