What was your biggest financial blunder...

What was your biggest financial blunder? Have you ever made a horrible investment or experienced terrible buyer's remorse?

The worst financial decision I've made was to buy a boat. I bought it for $8000 + 4 months of insurance @ $200 a month. I had time to use it maybe 5 times. Then i got a new job and was in a time crunch to move away, so I was forced sell it to a wholesale dealer for $3000.

Please make me feel better. Tell me you've done worse

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/rraZ9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>bought a van for 2k
>put $500 into it
>doesn't run
>can't get $500 for it

I was playing cashflow 202 and I brought a brand new sports car. It cost me $1,000 a month and it cost me the game.

I also fell for the Initial D meme and spent almost 15k on tofu race cars when I was 18.

NIGHTS OF FIRE

Getting $400 in credit card debt because I got really really blackout drunk during my initiation party and decided to buy a lot of weed to celebrate.

I use that experience as a reminder to avoid getting too drunk when having fun. Paid it off but it took my entire first paycheck from my shit part time job as a freshman.

Now at a good law school at year 2.

When I was playing world of warcraft I once posted a bunch of items on the auction house for 40 gold a stack instead of 40gold each and lost about 15000 gold. Never really got over it.

That hurt to read R.I.P

Used credit card to buy macbook pro just to get the bonus flight miles

Used said flight miles to visit gf in asia

She breaks up a week after i arrive

Took a year to pay off credit card

What the actual fuck, lmao.

Fuck sort of the same thing happened to me, m8

the worst ive done is buy a gym membership and never go. i blame the men for staring at me. i dont even have muscle. get a fucking life.

fukken kek

I rushed through school in two years instead of four; literally got my Bachelor's when I was 19, really thought I was hot shit and beating the system at the time. I did it to cut down on student loan debt and get into the workforce more quickly but soon realized that:
1. In order to graduate so early, I had to pick a major that wasn't necessarily my first choice, well before I knew what I wanted to do anyways
2. I couldn't get an internship during my only college summer because I was literally underage during most of the application period and had an almost-blank resume

The lack of experience in me not being able to find a serious job once I graduated, so I decided to go to grad school and took a year to go through the admissions process only to end up getting weeded out halfway through because my undergrad program hadn't taught me a lot of the required math for the grad degree.

So, in essence, by graduating two years early, I sacrificed a large amount of my earning potential and then ended up wasting the two years anyways.

Depending on what I would have done in full four years of undergrad (my original plan was to study accounting but the business school wouldn't consider applications from junior transfer students, which I was considered to be even though all my credit was from AP, and ended up studying Economics) and the series of internships I could have taken leading to my first post-graduation job, all of this probably cost me many tens of thousands of dollars in lifetime earnings.

Hopefully not fucking up by going to med school. It's going to cost me $80k/yr for tuition+living. I'll be 320k in debt by the time I graduate and it has a 7% interest rate. By the time I'm done with residency, I'll be ~500k in debt. Fuck man I better be doing orthopedics or some shit to pay that off.

How the fuck did it get this bad

Bought one of those affiliate marketing training courses online and never made a dollar off it

Lost $10,000 investing in GEVO and PTN

How the fuck do you buy weed with a credit card?

> $ 320,000

Holy jesus batman

I mean, at least you're going into the only kind of career that could pay that off

but damn fuck that

>Invest 30K in three different businesses, telling myself one will succeed even if the others fail
>First business is a thriving mart that is still alive and running yet now agonizing because 2 competitors set up shop in the span of 3 months, thereby dividing revenue by 3.
>Second business was also a mart that was mildly successful before it died because of a shitty cumguzzler landlord who after 8 months suddenly care I pay rent in 60 days even since I did that since the beginning.
>Third business is a restaurant that turned out to be a huge failure with not enough customers to even break even after several months and the novelty effect gone, sucking all the benefits of the marts when they were at their peak (around $1500/month, which was not bad considering the workload was very low).
After 2 years, I have no benefit to my name and are forced to liquidate assets for the BBQ to pay debts I contracted for this business and the first mart. I consider myself lucky if I can sell everything for 1/3 to 1/2 of the initial investment.

Thankfully, I found a job and a career path so Veeky Forums was probably not made for me.
I also open a very small coffee breakfast shop next month in order to use the assets impossible to liquidate, keep a professional address for the Business Visa and provide a job to my sister-in-law who is unemployed since I closed the restaurant (great girl, worked 7/7 but not very bright). I don't expect to turn much of a profit but the rent is incredibly low so hey, no risk.

Money transfer apps exist

Put ma penis in an American women.

Went and bought 600 dollars in clothing for gf. Got cheated on 6 months later

>great girl, worked 7/7 but not very bright
is she single? sounds like prime wife material.

Yes, it's a long story. These days, she plays with boys on Badoo but it doesn't go far. Her and her 2 sisters are prime wifes indeed, and thankfully, one is mine.

My idiot cousin hooked up with one of these sisters, an incredibly cute, kind and well mannered girl but broke up after several months because of his Avoidant Personality Disorder, which is incredibly stupid because not only you don't find wifes like this twice in a lifetime, but she gave him her virginity at 28 years old, thinking she could trust him even before marriage because he was my relative.

Ah well, it's not Veeky Forums related anyway.

so how do i get my hands on one of them?

Move overseas. Try Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Cambodia or Laos. Those poor countries are a good mix of traditions and progress so even if you've local whores like everywhere else, if you're not an autist and actually meet people, chances are it won't be hard to get your hands on one.

And even after buying the PC she made..

asian girls are gross though.

> Law school
You positive your $400 dollar debt was your worst financial decision?

>gf in asia
Why do you dumb weebs always fall for this?

haven't you ever heard the old saying
>the only 2 happy days in a boat owner's life are the day when he buys his boat and the day when he sells it

As someone who's from a family of doctors and have roommates/friends finishing up med school. I highly, highly recommend looking at other fields to get into. Medicine has changed. Insurance, salary cuts, and over supply of med students mean your chance of getting a "good" position go way down. The risk reward really isn't there. But hey, if you actually love like live and breathe medicine then go for it. Otherwise it's a hell of a commitment for not much pay back.

Getting a master degree that did jack shit for my career

Are you me?

Fucked takumi and his cunty ae86

Back when I was 20 I already had a good amount of money from saving since my first job at 14. People started catching wind of my massive amounts of money, and many people starting companies came to me asking for investments. I felt so bad turning most people away, as I believed in the dream of starting from the bottom and going to the top. So I eventually invested in a clothing company against my better judgement, it flopped obviously.

Lesson learned, now I don't care who the fuck you are, you get none of my fucking money. Unless it's a non-profit charity that I trust, I do everything with my money.

>People started catching wind of my massive amounts of money
why did you tell them? if you kept your mouth shut it wouldn't have been a problem.

i'm a phd student and since i started i bought two condos and a house. my adviser and lab mates only know i have the one condo. they only know because i needed an excuse not to do shit with them so i told them i bought a condo and i'm busy renovating it.

It'll probably get 3 or 4 hundred for scrap

Never buy a non running vehicle for more than $500. Unless its some type of classic.

I have a similar story though.

>buy van for €1700
>engine runs, but needs complete overhaul and body needs paint
>€400 in unpaid road tax and insurance
>€600 in parts, mostly NOS
>€800 for engineering services
>€1200 in mechanic fees
>€800 in bodyshop fees
>€3000 for paintjob and paint

Took two years from start to finish.

Doing what I find fascinating is worth it.

Not to mention I wasn't a fucking moron and scholarshipped my way into law school. Isn't hard to do if you actually study for the LSAT

Haven't made too many absolutely awful ones,
worst one is not studying hard enough for one of my exams which is going to cost me 10k because i won't be able to go part-time student for my final semester

My mortgage. I bought a fixer upper in a nice part of town, but my mortgage is 40-45% of my monthly take home, leaving me working paycheck to paycheck in a deadend shit job

Parents saved money for me in an UTMA account and handed it over to me in 2009. Lost like 30% of it on some stupid fucking bio tech stock, took 20% of it out to spend, and put the rest in some REIT that pretty much got me a 3% ROI from 2010-2013 before I put it in an index.

I lost 5000 euro in one single day in stocks after brexit for 5 months. Recovered from that with small profit this month.

l o l

c u c k
u
c
k

come on man.... :(

College

Specifically going to a public university in my hometown so I could live with my parents and stay with my girlfriend.

I lost 17 bitcoins by margin trading it.. i felt like i was the next crypto buffett, but it was not meant to be

maybe you won't be a know-it-all little shit next time

I first started having decent savings and disposable income, I decided I needed to start investing. Moved 75% of my savings into mutual funds

this was 2008

Yeah I'm really thinking about it. I don't think oversupply of med students is a huge issue though, there's 18000 med grads and 22000 residency spots every year. The schools I've been accepted to are US MD and have >99% match rates.

That said, insurance and reimbursement concerns are real. I like medicine enough to read about it on my own time and have done enough research on it to know it fits me. The loan amount is just absurd and I'm hoping that by the time I become an attending, the avg salary will still be $200k+.

kek

My ex-girlfriend. Not falling for the woman meme again.

Not. Even. Once.

Yeah as long as you think it through then act on it. So many kids are all "I'm going to be a doctor and make 700k starting. Yolo I'll take the debt" and then get rocked later in life.

My biggest?

Buying an SUV for $11k and selling it for $9k when the vehicle was in way better condition than my current car.

My next largest? Buying a $3k laptop and selling it for $1800.

Same

Why would you do that?

What was wrong with the home?

Was living with some relatives while working and lent them some money for a down payment when our landlord gave us notice that he was planning on selling the place and my uncle was told his work contract wasn't going to make him move. There was literally no other rental we all could fit in so I helped them get the duplex, and they paid me back a bit as they could afford to.
So when less than two years later he had to move due to work all of a sudden they had two places to pay for - again, no rentals. I was doing all right so I lent them some more money for the down payment, helped while he was waiting for reimbursements, etc.
Then the rest of my family started in on it and I let myself get guilted into lending money to most of my family members and coworkers.

Some paid me back quickly, others slowly, most with interest. Some took years to pay back a few thousand while taking trips to the UK for "work", one paid me back $4000 in two weeks by renting out the skidoo he bought to some surveyors who showed up the day after he bought it.

All together I've lent out $232k over the course of 13 years - never actually added it all up before and for the most part it was in small increments so I never really noticed.
Still have $150k lent out, haven't lent any out since May 2015

Bought and held UWTI, $35,000 down to $3,256

Medical school

>$300,000 into a professional line of credit at 2.7%.
>Maybe $23,000 in material assets in the form of two vehicles
>Paying off only the interest until June 2017 when I graduate, then principle kicks in
>Can't get a residency position until July 2018 at the earliest, because my test dates are all fucked.
>going to be working as an orderly or some shit until then

tl:dr- Friends don't let friends become physicians.

>Invested all of my money plus took on margin debt in VRX. Probably about 75-80k total. I'm 24yo
>shit tanks like a mofo, down more than 50%, down about 35-40k, nearly all of my money.
>don't sell because I have balls of steel
>it comes back briefly after earnings and I walk away with about a 15k loss
>make almost all of my money back at the end of the year with a separate investment
>whew lad I could've been broke if I was a pleb with weak hands

btw this was just my worst decision of 2016. I have also walked away from an IB job to pursue a much lower paying career because I like being comfy
other bad financial decisions include browsing 4ch for 10yrs
shit really makes you think

DON'T DO IT!!!

I'm just finishing my 4th year, and can tell you it's honestly not worth it.

Residency positions aren't keeping pace with the number of applicants- and every year you sit without matching you get less likely to match.

The American system is converting over to MACRA aka pay by performance (as in the patient grades you and you get paid off that).

Plus you need to deal with that fact that you will be getting sued. Not if, but when. Two friends in residency are already named in suits, one of them wasn't even in the building when it all went down.

9/10 physicians say don't become a physician right not.

Jesus.
Well as they say: don't lend to friends and family what you can't afford to give away as a gift.

I'm on they ten year/never repayment from family plan too, but significantly less than you (like 6 grand to my brother)

>don't lend to friends and family what you can't afford to give away as a gift
Luckily I was in a situation where that was workable.

I make a good hourly wage, living expenses are reasonable, and until a few years ago I wasn't really planning for the future so my money was just in a savings account and some 5-year locked in TFSA and RRSP GIC accounts.

After the first rollover for each I saw how little they were making so I'm moving my money around and educating myself. Should have done it much earlier in life but I was (still am) riding on an assumption of permanent disability in the near future. Difference is my attitude used to be "fuck it, when it happens I'll off myself" and now it's "fuck it, I'll figure it out so I need the safety net".

Never lending money again though. One relative who took six years to pay back $5k still doesn't have a real income and is always doing GoFundMe bullshit to raise cash for her next album or tour.
I'd be fucking embarrassed to ask for money from people more than once if my dream was so clearly not going anywhere.

College.

> $50k debt
> 4 years of life wasted
> Absolutely no advantage in job opportunity

to be fair I picked a business-ish degree and didn't pick a rock solid career track, but still.

I was raised by boomers who were all "just get any degree, it doesn't really matter, the degree will get you a job"

cause that's how it was in their day.

Wow. You'd honestly be better off becoming an electrician or plumber.

By 24 you could be making almost $100k a year. No debt. Save, invest, maybe start your own little company. You would be so far ahead of doctors it's not even funny.

Academics has gotten completely fucked. And no track is safe anymore. Not even medicine.

What else then bro? Career wise

I'm fairly certain I will match. I'm going to a good US MD school. Great match list every year.

I feel every career has its fair share of bullshit. I love basic sciences like physio and Pharm and I truly enjoy helping people. Not sure what other careers, barring mid level providers, can provide me that.

Yeah but I have no interest in those trades. I can't make the money if I can't muster the willpower to go to work.

Well yeah sure, if you enjoy it then that's a big part of enjoying life.

Even if the odds of matching are prime, those sweet gigs in great programs are going to people with connections.

It's true, every career has its bs. But no career is like this. Not even in the slightest. Every time you see a patient, you put yourself on the line. It gets hairy when you walk in the room and the first thing they do is ask your full name and how to spell it. I know an attending who was slapped with $6 million settlement for a kid who was born with cerebral palsy. He's mid-60's working 100 hours a week, taking 20+ students just to pay that shit off.

I too, love the medicine- and have no other real life skills. If I were to do it over again, I'd be a PA. Great pay, no overhead, limited liability. Two year course, and you get to do essentially all the same shit.

Do that for a few years, make contacts and a name for yourself, then reconsider going to medical school. At least then you'll know what you're getting into, unlike me.

PA is definitely a great gig. I just know for a fact I wouldn't want to make a career out of being "assistant". I would always think why not MD. Plus PA school, then practice, then reconsidering MD would be too much opportunity cost for me.

It is very difficult to be sitting on med school acceptances and change my mind. It's so unlikely to be accepted to begin with, it feels like you win the lottery or some shit. What if you went into the lifestyle friendly specialties, like EM or something? That attending you mentioned, was he OBGYN? They have higher frequency of malpractice suits.

You went through the same process I did, prepping and applying and all that BS. Did your motives in becoming a doctor change as time went on?

I feel ya- sometimes its best to go for it when shit falls into your lap. It really isn't what they sold it to be though- I still feel grossly misled. They only reveal the layers of bullshit as you get too far into it to retreat. And now I'm stuck in this career with this perverse love/hate relationship.

EM is generally 12 hours shifts, 5 days a week (in my experience). I did my rotation doing the night shift in the South Side of Chicago. Working ER will make you hard. You will get abused, and every decision you make is under the gun. It is, however, the one field that I truly love. There is a certain audacity that overtakes you, knowing that you can handle most anything that comes through the door.

The only other field I felt that way about was Trauma Surgery (did it at Cook County, look it up), which is just EM with the guns and knives club. That job is far from lifestyle friendly though. 30 hour on calls every three days; every other day is 6 am-12:45 pm. I had four days off that month. If you do go to med school, do this elective. And do it in August like I did. 500 GSW's in Chicago, 93 resulting in death. ~45% came through County. I doubt I will ever see anything like it again.

That attending was an OB/Gyn, and they do get hit hard with malpractice. Technically liable for anything going on with that kid up until 18.

As for motives, not really. I have the same story as most people (except those with physician parents, or those going for the money). I saw someone get badly hurt and die, and I didn't know how to help. So now I do. The impoverishment is very motivating as well, but it's really just a base desire to help.

I guess what I didn't address, is that everyone gets sued. Be it IM, FM, EM, or anything else.

Bullet-proof documentation can ward off any substantial settlements (unless you really, truly did fuck up hard- and it happens). But that doesn't mean people won't try. And even if its a frivolous case, that's 6 months to two years of stress that you're not getting back.

Additionally, you insurance companies have hammer clauses. So say someone files a lawsuit, total bs case- I did nothing wrong. But the insurance company wants it to go away right now. So they can settle behind your back, pay out the fucker. But that settlement goes on your record. Three of those bad boys and your license is up for renegotiation.

And without your license, you're fucked.

I lost 50k on shares last year.

Company ended up being dodgy, it will take 2 years of saving to get it back.

Thanks for the insight.

So there is a fuckton of bullshit between malpractice rates and regulation. Even knowing this, it doesn't deter me. And I am more than certainly naive, since I haven't experienced it.

However, I'm not just looking at medicine as a prospect. It will happen if I decide to, since I've already been accepted. As you know, it feels good to be wanted since it is so competitive nowadays. It will be very difficult to turn down without a very, very solid plan B.

It also seems to me a sure fire way to get a good salary (assuming avg attending level will still be $200k-300k) and societal respect/prestige. I know there are easier ways to make money, but I just love the theory of medicine. Maybe I'll hate the practice of it but we'll see.

I've been reading about MACRA and all that bs on how they calculate reimbursement. It's so taboo to even talk about medical finance but it's the reality. These hospitals are run like fucking businesses.

Do you have any hope left for residency and beyond? You seem very jaded already for a MS4. I had a hunch that they reveal more and more BS as you go along. Are people just trapped by debt at that point and are forced to continue training?

Losing $5000 on lottery tickets.

I was 20 and stupid, bragged about it since I was also a massive piece of shit back then. Makes me cringe thinking back on those times.

I think the reason I'm so jaded is because unlike most of my peers- I've actually been paying attention. I find that the ones who wander through the clerkships, looking for cool diseases and procedures to witness- they're the ones who get destroyed in PG1 of residency. They lose sight of the fact that those cool diseases are actually people, with needs and opinions. They never paid attention to the precautions the attendings were laying out with the plan- because fuck it, they're doing a central line over in ICU-3.

That said, most of our attendings are scum- and it's frankly disheartening to watch these people operate based on personal profit when you got into this to help people. $40, 000 per trach? Watch all 8 ICU patients get them, regardless of need. It's criminal really.

The few attendings that I respected are blown out by the business end- they too, just wanted to help people. One guy, a plastic surgeon, trauma fellow, then hand fellow- was my ER attending. He had lost his practice because he refused to give out narcotics- and if you don't give out opiates, well, your practice won't be around for long. So now he works nights in the ghetto for sick cash to pay off the IRS- he's the one who truly red-pilled me on the realities of contemporary medicine.

I was going to jump shit this fall- had an interview for a PhD position over at KU Leuven (PhD's are paid positions in Belgium and the Netherlands) doing personalized aneurysm external support systems in sheep. I had gotten on the Regenerative Medicine/Biofabrication train early in 2014, did a few masters level courses at University of Utrecht. But I fucked up the interview hard, said I couldn't start until January (I was holding out for an elective in Canada- I have minor connections there, and getting a spot is feasible).

The masters courses fucked up my timeline, so I'm not eligible until the 2018 match. I'll apply, probably get a spot- most likely that Canadian position.

If you're truly serious about the medicine, do the four years and write board exams for both Canada and 'Murica. Try to slip an elective or two in up there as well. There's only 17 residency programs in Canada, but the lifestyle is completely different (less scut, great hours, and they actually want you to learn vs being a form of cheap labour). Malpractice is a fraction of the cost, hardly any litigation, and those that do file usually lose hard. The College of Physicians and Surgeons will actually try to protect you up there.

It can be done in the states, don't get me wrong. You can do it, get paid, and live a decent life. But it's not worth the stress in my opinion.
I'd work there if I match there, but I'd be bouncing north asap.

haha owned lmfao
i live in aus and study med at unsw
mfw when 10k a year tuition fees for aus med csp and with hecs which has interest at the same rate as inflation only LMAO

also aus has a lot of undergrad positions so I didnt have to do any premed garbage thats needed in the states, just got in straight out of school
plus we have guaranteed internship as csp's/bmp's

>blames men for her lack of motivation
Feminist

down 200K in stock market

realized

GET IN HERE TO DISCUSS INVESTMENTS AND FINANCIAL ADVICE:
discord.gg/rraZ9

Bought 1k HTBX stock @ $1.62/share. Saw it go over $3, got greedy, thinking it would go to 4 easy. It crashed hard shortly there after, currently sitting @ like 86 cents. holding now, hoping it gets to at least 1.50 some day.

baby boomers are cancer. At least you learned that

Sam? Is that you?

Invested $1200 Gold ETFs

They are worth around $600 now, not bad since I've made 10x that much gambling on political outcomes, and Gold ETFs will go up eventually I think.

Butterfly labs 2000€

So you bought more when the market crashed, waited for it to recover and now have triple the money right?

I put $1600 in a CD.

leveraged ETFs, i assume?

>I have also walked away from an IB job
Do you use IB to trade with or what is your platform?

Paying off my car under my father's name.

He got credit for me paying off that loan. He told me my name was on the title and all the paperwork. Nope. I was paying to help HIS credit. he also said he'd help pay for college but he didn't help with that either. Over $40,000 he promised to help with.

In the grand scheme, he's been so supportive. but money is terrible to talk about with friends and family and he was no exception

big fuck up and mental illness there is no hope for me :/

getting a DUI, losing my job...
Cost me about 400-450 k

I feel you, same thing happened but I lost my 11 an hour job not 450k, can't get another job because I live far away in the sticks, got arrested for driving without license now my license is suspended for another year

>tfw didn't get into Canadian medical schools

Applying to American MD and DO schools. Am I making a mistake as a Canadian? I want to com back to Canada eventually but realize i'll have to finish residency in the US first.