Is the 1999 Chevy Malibu reliable...

Is the 1999 Chevy Malibu reliable? I've heard they're boring as shit but I found a great deal on one and am going to go check it out.

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/regina-area/c174l1700194?ad=offering&price=2000__5000&kilometers=__200000
kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/regina/last-production-year-2005-chevrolet-cavalier-87-800-km/1253016830?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
youtube.com/watch?v=KTcMyON0_tc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

>Is the 1999 Chevy Malibu reliable?
Check the VIN for its service history which should have no gaps and consistent odometer mileage gains to show its odometer was not disconnected.

No one is really saying anything because that generic platform car you're thinking of buying is almost 19 years old. If you are comfortable working on your own car's engine, then that is a different matter.

Being reliable is not a good thing with this one. I would rather drive anything else. I suppose it beats the bus. They suffer from the same LIM issues as any GM V6 but there's nothing really unreliable about it. Just slide behind the wheel and ask yourself "Do I really want to spend money for this?"

What's wrong with a car that old?

Is it really that terrible? Would an econobox drive better?

The bus riders in this thread only rode in one when they were little kids

Just get a civic or corolla, seriously

Early 2000s GM is absolutely disgusting

No. get a civic for 3k instead.

They're all stupidly overpriced where I live.

where is that? post your local craigslist

I own the 03 model (which is the same style as this one) and the car has been nothing but a headache for me. I'm on mobile right now but in about 20 min I'll get my computer and describe in detail the issues I've had with mine. Basically, transmission shits out, vhss shot, cluster fails periodically, floor shifter has to be operated in a funky way otherwise car can't turn off, ignition switch problems, and the typical fm corner cutting cost measures

I'm Canadian, Craigslist isn't really a thing here.

kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/regina-area/c174l1700194?ad=offering&price=2000__5000&kilometers=__200000

They're definitely reliable. Known problems include lower intake manifold gaskets and occasionally headgaskets. But headgaskets aren't a big deal on these (well on the V6 which is 90% of them) since it's a pushrod engine so you don't need to fuck with the timing.

They're extremely boring though. I would only recommend them if you're in desperate need of something reliable and don't care how boring it is, OR if you want to build a nice sleeper. If you know where to look, aftermarket support is available to turn it into a great sleepy beast. Pic related. GM showed off a concept car around 2001 to hopefully entice the tuner car crowd to it, showing off one with a 3.5L V6 (just a bored and stroked version of the standard 3.1L) they turbocharged. Aftermarket is there to replicate it, but better.

Guess I should've mentioned that it's the 4 cylinder model. Apparently there's a decent aftermarket but it's no V6.

hell no. that'll be slow as fuck.

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/regina/last-production-year-2005-chevrolet-cavalier-87-800-km/1253016830?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Avoid those 4 cylinders. Go for a V6. The 4 cylinders are reliable, but slow. It's just not enough torque to move around a car that heavy.

I don't want a shitbox user.

I might've found a better car anyways, 04 Impala with a nice 3800 V6 and leather interior. Sorry for wasting people's time with this thread.

alright so im back and allow me to elaborate:

>transmission shits out
Car has trouble shifting, can only lock it into 2nd gear to get anywhere reliably. In case you are wondering, there are no transmission dipsticks in these cars, so then how do you check your tranny fluid? Here, watch this video on absolute mad gm engineering: youtube.com/watch?v=KTcMyON0_tc

>vhss shot
Known issue for these cars

>cluster fails periodically
I've checked all my connections which are in good condition yet the cluster still fucks up. May need to get a junkyard dash cluster

> floor shifter has to be operated in a funky way otherwise car can't turn off
Ok so apparently gm when cutting corners decided not to use the appropriate amount of shift linkage wire underneath the shifter, meaning you have to pop the plastic panel up and add the appropriate length yourself - gm corner cutting at it's finest

>ignition switch problems
A well known fucking problem that gm bean counters just recently brought to the head(s) of management. Google for more info, but basically they make shitty ignition switches which are prone to turning to the off position while driving, thereby killing the steering, brakes, and occupants. Many such claims were made, gm denied until recently where they issued a recall. The recall itself? They fucking put a little plastic piece ON YOUR KEY, NOT FIXING THE FUCKING SWITCH. This is quite possibly the stupidest fucking thing imaginable from this shit-can of a "car" company.

> typical gm corner cutting cost measures
I hope this one doesn't need an explanation, but there are many searches you can perform that will pull up instances backing up my claim

I'll say this though - if you are in an absolute pickle and need transportation asap, can get this car for less than a grand, and will make that money back quickly to invest in a better car, then get it.

And yes, I did thoroughly check it out as well as got a PPI.

GM cars are fucking junk in general

Beggars can't be choosers. The cavalier looks clean and sounds like its had a good owner. If you're poor you don't want a car with a transverse V6. If anything goes wrong on the rear of the engine you're gonna get raped in labor. That gen impala is shit.

Not sure about the 1999 one but I have a 2005 Maxx model. It was my parents before and they never maintained it correctly and constantly did roadtrips across the country. It's a boring shitbox for sure, but its never had any major issues.

>04 Impala with a nice 3800 V6 and leather interior
It is a better car. Just beware the transmissions on those.

Just as disgusting. Trash desu.